[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Rbray, I have been checking and doing some testing with the new memory saved counter and no matter how many mods I add or remove, it constantly says I have saved 342 megabytes. Just thought Id raise that to your attention.

Would you be so kind as to post the log please? That is quite suspicious.

This isn't really working as good as it use to. I have been getting a lot of crashes lately and I have less mods than I use to have(still a lot of mods though). I am using 2-15 agressive. Heres my log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/99tbgd87oxr1eec/output_log.txt

Looks like the mod is running correctly. Check your memory at the main menu using a resource monitor. Could be that you have more ships in memory, or some other mod is adding to the memory usage.

Were you always using the Basic config? That's what it looks like you are using.

No, usually I always use the aggressive version but I have lots of extra memory to spare so I decided to use the basic version. However, in both cases, it results in the same amount of memory saved which makes no sense.

You are running out of memory. Looks like you are running with an outdated version of this mod.

After the mandatory "That cannot be!!111" - but really, I didnt really add much when/since/before the problem started ...

I usually spend the first 15 mins. of "playing" KSP with checking and updating my mods - will delete your whole folder and install both mods (this and clouds) from fresh downloads.

(What is Release 1-1 for btw.?)

The only old version I can think of would be the one in Texture Replacer, though it claims to give priority to the original/this one here.

Edit: Using the basic version - for the record.

No, usually I always use the aggressive version but I have lots of extra memory to spare so I decided to use the basic version. However, in both cases, it results in the same amount of memory saved which makes no sense.

My guess is that the config isn't being overwritten properly if it reports the same ammount. The next version will be adding a gui that pops up after loading to show how much memory is being saved and where.

My guess is that the config isn't being overwritten properly if it reports the same ammount. The next version will be adding a gui that pops up after loading to show how much memory is being saved and where.

In the debug menu it reports the same thing, so I don't know if that is the issue.

In the debug menu it reports the same thing, so I don't know if that is the issue.

hmmm... If you want, you can try an interim build out, just replace the dll in the folder with this one (click "raw", it will let you download it): https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/blob/master/GameData/BoulderCo/Plugins/TextureCompressor.dll has the GUI that will display on the main menu and allows you to check how much memory should be saved by each folder.

hmmm... If you want, you can try an interim build out, just replace the dll in the folder with this one (click "raw", it will let you download it): https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/blob/master/GameData/BoulderCo/Plugins/TextureCompressor.dll has the GUI that will display on the main menu and allows you to check how much memory should be saved by each folder.

I used my alternate KSP folder where I just have BoulderCo and the Squad folder. I ran it with the new dll and I get spammed non stop with IndexOutOfRangeException errors in the Debug toolbar. As for the GUI you have provided, it shows the title, a folder label and Squad as a button but does nothing and no other information is provided (not sure if thats the intent at the moment, just detailing what I see).

Update #1: I have removed the cached files folder and the mod seems to run just fine. I watched the debug during the loading phase of the game and it reports saved and accumulated saved bytes after each part is loaded. On some parts, in particular the internal spaces parts, you get a negative gain in memory saved. This may or may not be intentional to save original quality of the part. After loading of the game has completed, once again the IndexOutOfRangeException continues to occur.

Edited by bulletrhli

I used my alternate KSP folder where I just have BoulderCo and the Squad folder. I ran it with the new dll and I get spammed non stop with IndexOutOfRangeException errors in the Debug toolbar. As for the GUI you have provided, it shows the title, a folder label and Squad as a button but does nothing and no other information is provided (not sure if thats the intent at the moment, just detailing what I see).

Hmmm... that is VERY odd. I'll have too look into it. There should be a Button for every mod that you have a config for, and an additional "unmanaged" button for mods that don't have a config. When selected, the button should indicate the amount saved per folder, with a display below indicating the total amount saved.

The weird thing here is that only the squad folder showed up. WHY? Hmmm... very interesting/confusing.

I Just looked and found the reason why you get the indexOutOfRangeException, As for why you only have the one folder for squad I don't know. Do you have any of the "default" mods that there are config files for?

Hmmm... that is VERY odd. I'll have too look into it. There should be a Button for every mod that you have a config for, and an additional "unmanaged" button for mods that don't have a config. When selected, the button should indicate the amount saved per folder, with a display below indicating the total amount saved.

The weird thing here is that only the squad folder showed up. WHY? Hmmm... very interesting/confusing.

I Just looked and found the reason why you get the indexOutOfRangeException, As for why you only have the one folder for squad I don't know. Do you have any of the "default" mods that there are config files for?

I tested the mod with just the Squad folder and the BoulderCo folder. I didn't include any of my other mods just for loading times sake. I have updated my last post with a little more information.

I tested the mod with just the Squad folder and the BoulderCo folder. I didn't include any of my other mods just for loading times sake. I have updated my last post with a little more information.

The Negative "gain" is usually due to mipmap generation when there previously was none, or a conversion to ARGB32 for normal maps.

The Negative "gain" is usually due to mipmap generation when there previously was none, or a conversion to ARGB32 for normal maps.

Alright. So , besides the GUI not performing as you have stated, the only other issue was the IndexOutOfRangeException that I have experienced so far. Nothing else seems to be out of the ordinary.

Alright. So , besides the GUI not performing as you have stated, the only other issue was the IndexOutOfRangeException that I have experienced so far. Nothing else seems to be out of the ordinary.

Right. I have a small bug to fix, and then I'll post a link to the next iteration for you to try.

Right. I have a small bug to fix, and then I'll post a link to the next iteration for you to try.

If you'd like, send me a PM with the iterations, Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing and I will report back any findings I have here from the versions you link.

If you'd like, send me a PM with the iterations, Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing and I will report back any findings I have here from the versions you link.

I for one, am interested in trying the various iterations. So if you end up PMing bulletrhli with them, could I be in the loop?

I'll just keep them in this thread as DEV updates.

Tbh, I wasn't sure whether or not anyone else would be interested in trying the iterations. I feel like this mod needs a dev page like Mechjeb has where they have daily builds and what not. Just a thought :P Rbray, will you be posting the iterations in the OP or just like a little while ago?

Links below incase no one has an idea what I am talking about.

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

Tbh, I wasn't sure whether or not anyone else would be interested in trying the iterations. I feel like this mod needs a dev page like Mechjeb has where they have daily builds and what not. Just a thought :P Rbray, will you be posting the iterations in the OP or just like a little while ago?

Links below incase no one has an idea what I am talking about.

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

Thanks, I am curious as to how you are gonna have it set up

Not sure yet. I don't have a Jenkins server, so I probably won't do that. I'll probably just post updates as I make progress.