[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Thanks a lot, this mod works and it is AWESOME!

Installation went just like a very default mod, just put in folder and ready to go.

I have quite some mods (many of the popular ones), my GameData folder is 2,4 GB.

Starting up the game (quarter res textures, full screen) gave me already 2070 MB of RAM usage for KSP.

In game, I could build quite some large ships and dock in space, however, there was not much RAM left.

After some lengthy building and docking several ships together often made KSP reach the max RAM limit (it's around 3,7 GB for me) and crashed.

Now, this mod did not only give no issues at all, but solved the whole RAM problem completely! I used the aggressive one.

My RAM usage in the main menu went back to 1010 MB (that's 1 GB less!), and I'm currently docking my 6th quite large ship in space, with an other space station orbitting just 20km next to me, all kinds of mods used... You get it, lots of usage (at this point I would have already crashed), however, my RAM usage is at the moment 2,8 GB!

With this mod, I do not have to remove any parts (I was planning to remove some IVA of stock parts, I heard you can skimp the stock Squad folder down to save around 400 MB of RAM usage), and I can enjoy the game, even with a lot of mods!

You, sir, just saved my day.

I hope you continue making awesome mods and good luck!

Thanks a lot, this mod works and it is AWESOME!

Installation went just like a very default mod, just put in folder and ready to go.

I have quite some mods (many of the popular ones), my GameData folder is 2,4 GB.

Starting up the game (quarter res textures, full screen) gave me already 2070 MB of RAM usage for KSP.

In game, I could build quite some large ships and dock in space, however, there was not much RAM left.

After some lengthy building and docking several ships together often made KSP reach the max RAM limit (it's around 3,7 GB for me) and crashed.

Now, this mod did not only give no issues at all, but solved the whole RAM problem completely! I used the aggressive one.

My RAM usage in the main menu went back to 1010 MB (that's 1 GB less!), and I'm currently docking my 6th quite large ship in space, with an other space station orbitting just 20km next to me, all kinds of mods used... You get it, lots of usage (at this point I would have already crashed), however, my RAM usage is at the moment 2,8 GB!

With this mod, I do not have to remove any parts (I was planning to remove some IVA of stock parts, I heard you can skimp the stock Squad folder down to save around 400 MB of RAM usage), and I can enjoy the game, even with a lot of mods!

You, sir, just saved my day.

I hope you continue making awesome mods and good luck!

Glad it could help!

Are there any downsites to using this mod?

I didnt noticed any.

So if there are not, why squad dont implement this method.

I JUST DONT GET IT.

Hard to say... I myself was wondering why they don't have a tool (maybe with the launcher?) that could configure something to do this.

rbray, Thanks so much for making this. I've been playing for a while but the number of mods I've wanted to install always led to crashes and a diminished experience.

Now I can run basically anything I want and my gameplay experience is so fantastic. Thanks again for all your effort.

Are there any downsites to using this mod?

I didnt noticed any.

So if there are not, why squad dont implement this method.

I JUST DONT GET IT.

Because it's taking longer to load the game. The game already takes some time to load all the files.

I've got over 800 hours in this game, since 0.18. I have NEVER seen so much as ONE crash until very recently (post 0.22). Now I get them randomly all the time. I deleted stray parts I don't use, textures at half-res, but avoided the reduction packs. I managed to get my 3.4GB usage down to 2.8GB. Not good enough, I think. Decoupler arrows especially looked like crap.

Fast forward, I got this bad ass mod and it totally ninja sliced my usage down to 1.7GB... with FULL res back on! Decoupler arrows clear as a bell! I don't believe it!

The aggressive version removes mipmaps and halves the texture size of the images.

Rbray, may I suggest a small leger on the OP giving quick details about the differences to reduce the amount of times we have to answer the same questions?

The aggressive version removes mipmaps and halves the texture size of the images.

Rbray, may I suggest a small leger on the OP giving quick details about the differences to reduce the amount of times we have to answer the same questions?

Yeah. It has it in the release notes, but apparently no one reads those :)

Okay, I haven't found anywhere in this where it is posted, so I'll ask, is there any known mod conflicts with this, cause every time I try to run it on my game, I crash before loading, and I am 36 different mods. figuring out if one is conflicting is becoming a nightmare.

Yeah. It has it in the release notes, but apparently no one reads those :)

No, of course not :P The majority just downloads, drags and drops. Reading is not a prerequisite lol which is exactly why when problems happen people go haywire because they don't read.

Okay, I haven't found anywhere in this where it is posted, so I'll ask, is there any known mod conflicts with this, cause every time I try to run it on my game, I crash before loading, and I am 36 different mods. figuring out if one is conflicting is becoming a nightmare.

In most cases, you should not be crashing and the mod does not conflict with another mod. When you launch your KSP game, what happened before you had ATM? Did it still crash? Now with ATM, does it crash? What edition (basic or aggressive) are you using? What mods are you using?

I've got over 800 hours in this game, since 0.18. I have NEVER seen so much as ONE crash until very recently (post 0.22). Now I get them randomly all the time. I deleted stray parts I don't use, textures at half-res, but avoided the reduction packs. I managed to get my 3.4GB usage down to 2.8GB. Not good enough, I think. Decoupler arrows especially looked like crap.

Fast forward, I got this bad ass mod and it totally ninja sliced my usage down to 1.7GB... with FULL res back on! Decoupler arrows clear as a bell! I don't believe it!

Hmm, call me highly skeptical, 1.7gb is less than the base game uses without mods. I have a tight leash on the mods I use, and even with aggressive it can only get my install down to 2.5gb at the cost of the game looking like (no offense rbay!) trash, so I stick with basic and 2.8gb. But assuming that's one hundred percent true, perhaps you should also let us in on your secrets! I think a lot of people would be interested to know what mods cost 3.4gb without ATM and can be successfully halved.

Because it's taking longer to load the game. The game already takes some time to load all the files.
Hmm, call me highly skeptical, 1.7gb is less than the base game uses without mods. I have a tight leash on the mods I use, and even with aggressive it can only get my install down to 2.5gb at the cost of the game looking like (no offense rbay!) trash, so I stick with basic and 2.8gb. But assuming that's one hundred percent true, perhaps you should also let us in on your secrets! I think a lot of people would be interested to know what mods cost 3.4gb without ATM and can be successfully halved.

Yes, please do tell. Even w/o mods I crash every now and then and I think that this secret will help immensely!

2.15 does break my textures. Some parts of the textures become dark and lighting is broken. Normal and aggressive version. 1.1 work fine tho and helps a lot... Thank you!

730KxpD.jpg?1

2.15 does break my textures. Some parts of the textures become dark and lighting is broken. Normal and aggressive version. 1.1 work fine tho and helps a lot... Thank you!

http://i.imgur.com/730KxpD.jpg?1

Looks like you are using squad texture reduction pack before install the mod(?). Is not necessary with this mod and nor the texture pack nor this mod are configured to work well toghether.

I have played the game stock and seen a good chunk of memory gone. Depends highly on the mods you use. If the mods are PNG or MBM based, you probably won't notice too much in terms of memory reduction, but if a mod is TGA based, you will.

Note that the textures in the "settings" screen should be set back to full res.

In most cases, you should not be crashing and the mod does not conflict with another mod. When you launch your KSP game, what happened before you had ATM? Did it still crash? Now with ATM, does it crash? What edition (basic or aggressive) are you using? What mods are you using?

I never really had any crashes before trying to use this mod, and I only use the basic, not aggressive version. Also, I redownloaded, and tried it again, and this time it worked no problem, so maybe I just had a bad download before?