[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Hey rbray, any idea how to make this not compress the IVA textures of the KOS? This is my file for it but it isn't working.

http://i.imgur.com/7zKQOH9.png

(http://imgur.com/7zKQOH9)

You are missing a closing bracket '}' at the end.

Also, ONLY normalmaps should go in there. For textures you don't want re-sized, add another section like:

OVERRIDES
{
KSO/Spaces/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = true
}
}

Edited by rbray89

Hey there,

i was hoping someone could maybe help me out here a little

It's about the "Uranium textures" not loading for different planets,

I've read somewhere here in the forums about a guy that had the same problem, had to make an exception to the texure compressor cfg. But i can't figure out how to actually do this, ive read the cfg included but am non the wiser.

If someone would send me in the right direction, i'd be much obliged (beware, i did NOT figure it out by reading the cfg, so please keep it simple :D)

This is about the Interstellar mod btw ..

And while i'm on the subject, is this mod the reason why rasterpropmonitor isnt showing anything on it's ... monitor

The config is already in there for interstellar, and has been for a few revisions now.

I've read that you were gonna add it, but i'm still getting the

[Exception]: UnityException: Texture 'WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/kerbin_uranium' is not readable,

the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings. - Error

Only when attaching the gamma ray spectrometer. It's not that much of an issue, but if i could fix it, would be nice.

It's impossible to get any data of the debug menu with the spam

This is what the KSPI cfg looks like:

NORMAL_LIST

{

}

OVERRIDES

{

}

[Exception]: UnityException: Texture 'WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/kerbin_uranium' is not readable,

the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings. - Error

Only when attaching the gamma ray spectrometer. It's not that much of an issue, but if i could fix it, would be nice.

NORMAL_LIST

{

}

OVERRIDES

{

}

Umm... I don't ship with a KSPI config. Just checked. Did you add that? Also, the name has to match the folder exactly.

WarpPlugin config:

config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
WarpPlugin/[^/]*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}

WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}

NORMAL_LIST

{

}

OVERRIDES

{

}

Also, you sure you are using the newest version?

I'm really sorry for wasting your time,

seems i had version 2.12, downloaded 19th of januari

Didnt download directly from the forums probably and got an old link.

Thanks for helping and elevating this game to new heights!

Really appreciate what you're all doing (Mod-junkie)

I'm really sorry for wasting your time,

seems i had version 2.12, downloaded 19th of januari

Didnt download directly from the forums probably and got an old link.

Thanks for helping and elevating this game to new heights!

Really appreciate what you're all doing (Mod-junkie)

NP. Just glad we got it figured out. :)

OpenGL currently supports multiple texture compression codecs, including several newer low-loss codecs, other than the popular early varieties S3TC (DXT1/DXT2) This is without considering the option of creating shaders to handle compression.

According to my research, switching to the 3Dc (a.k.a. DXN, BC5, ATI2, RGTC2, LATC2) or 3Dc+ (a.k.a. BC4) would provide much better quality, and allow the compression of normal maps with minimal loss and fewer artifacts.

In OpenGL 3Dc and 3Dc+ are implemented through the RGTC2 algorithm or LATC2 algorithms.

BPTC is probably superior for regular textures, however only the latest cards will handle it, but LATC2 and RGTC2 are probably still superior for normals.

Additionally, all three of these compression formats are open standards, and thus better supported by Open Source drivers on Linux, which currently take a bad quality hit in S3TC type compression, by using the S2TC algorithm that is significantly lower quality, even though it is a little faster and open-standard.

Because the best texture formats are only available in newer cards I would recommend setting a list of fallbacks for compression algorithms for each purpose, with the option of changing them for specific textures. (For instance, you may want to use the high-compression list for some textures and the low-compression list for others.)

If you would like I can repost this on the dev page for this plugin, or file it is a feature request in your Github page.

Nope, that didn't work either, but good catch.

I was having the same problem. I'd added the suggested code for WarpPlugin which may have fixed the indicators. But I was also seeing another issue - when the TextureCompressor plugin was in place, the Spectrometer was showing 0 ppm for Uranium abundance, the other two abundance indicators don't list the material or any number at all. But going to the 2-15 version resolved it for me, using the WarpPlugin.tfcg file as is, no mods required. Try upgrading if you haven't got 2-15.

How do I turn off the mipmapping feature? It interpolates the differing textures together, and I'd like to see if I like the sudden change of high to low planet detail vs. the interpolated versions.

Thanks! :)

The question is, does *Unity* support those?

I think the idea would be that the shader would have to, but as it stands, the unity shader compiler most certainly does not, and even then, I don't have the KSP shader source to create new shaders, and I don't have any of the field names to grab the original values from the materials to create new materials with the new shaders.

This just isn't possible from within a mod, and I don't think it is possible within unity.

My KSO.tcfg file:

config_enabled = true
NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = KSO/Parts/internalkso/kerbin_lifter_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/internalkso/kerbin_orbiter_docking_mod_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/internalkso/kerbin_orbiter_engines_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/internalkso/kerbin_orbiter_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Parts/internalkso/kerbin_space_station_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/RPM/MFD_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/analog_gauges_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/cockpit_interior_lower_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/cockpit_interior_norm_NRM
texture = KSO/Spaces/internalkso/RCS_panel_norm_NRM
}
OVERRIDES
{
KSO/Spaces/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
KSO/Parts/kerbin_orbiter
{
compress = false
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
KSO/RPM/[^/]*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

I use a lot of personalized textures so maybe you only need the config_enabled and the NORMAL_LIST. Try to let the rest of the work to the mod.

Hi, I'm having some problems with the interstellar mod. The IVA of the lab is too pixelated.

Also, the warp drive effect (the nian-cat-like light behind the ship) is all black (I checked uninstalling this mod and works fine).

Thanks.