[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Yeap but as of 0.25 ksp has trouble loading TGA files so again its KSP bug not ATM do your search forgot where i seen the post about it (NathanKell wrote it in detail why where and how) anyway problem is solved by converting from TGA to PNG or MBM

here ya go

https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/On-MBMs-and-Other-Image-Formats

Edited by dtoxic

If ATM is converting the files to something that KSP doesn't recognize, that is a problem with ATM, not KSP. Isn't that like buying a gasoline car and trying to put diesel in it? It's not the car manufacturer's problem if you try to put the wrong type of fuel in it. Unless I am totally not understanding why NathanKell was trying to say. I'm not a programmer of any sorts :P

If ATM is converting the files to something that KSP doesn't recognize, that is a problem with ATM, not KSP. Isn't that like buying a gasoline car and trying to put diesel in it? It's not the car manufacturer's problem if you try to put the wrong type of fuel in it. Unless I am totally not understanding why NathanKell was trying to say. I'm not a programmer of any sorts :P

i posted a link read it, the more mods you have with TGA files in it it;s gonna happen sooner or later its totally random but in the end if you think it;s ATM problem fell free to post on i;am just trying to tell you that it is not so you dont have to post on same thing many people have asked and not just on this thread, but you are free to believe what ever you want :) sooo happy hunting

and btw ATM is not converting anything as far as i know ;)

Yes, but your analogy is faulty. the TGA texture system in KSP is screwy in .25, So something that should work, that KSP says should work, sometimes doesn't and you get missing textures, like your screenshot.

in the US, E-85 (85% ethanol by volume) is in separate fuel handles at gas stations because many, many traditional engines will melt if they run it, and only special E-85 engines should use the yellow handles. Loading a little ethanol into your car will work fine, and most traditional petrol engines can run E-10 without any troubles, but the more you put in, the more the engine has to be designed to use it.

In this analogy, KSP is your E-85 certified vehicle, the TGAs are E-85, and ATM is Jim-bo, the friendly gas station attendant who filled your tank with the E-85 you told him to, and whom you blame when your E-85 car catches fire when he put E-85 in it.

Edited by AetherGoddess
readability, clarity

I'm experiencing a problem. Ive been using ATM since it's original release and am greatly disheartened by it. It appears to put a complete halt to my career mode game.

Here's a fresh save without ATM

8vjtV5v.jpg

And here's that same game with ATM

qt4Tp6a.jpg

My contracts just completely disappear. Removing ATM makes them reappear. I'd like to continue modding my KSP but since the win64 fall out I've had to go back to 32x and without ATM working I'm dead in the water

ATM doesn't convert anything to targa as far as I know.

Hi balricaso, please fill in the following bug report (shamelessly stolen from FlexGunship)

The details will help in solving any problems you may be experiencing

-----

BUG REPORT

Bug Title - one liner

DATE SEEN

date the bug was found goes here

include the time, if you are submitting more than one bug

VERSIONS

Operating System and version

KSP version

Mod version

other installed mods, if applicable

hardware information, if applicable

BUG DESCRIPTION

A concise description of what the problem is. Pure description, no narrative or conversational language.

SEVERITY:

Trivial, Minor, Major, or Catastrophic

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Step by step instructions on how to reproduce this bug.

Do not assume anything, the more detailed your list of instructions, the easier it is for the developer to track down the problem!

Test these steps as you have them written. If they don't work then the bug is unreproducible and should not be reported yet.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR:

Type what happens when you follow the instructions. This is the manifestation of the bug.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

Type what you expected to happen when you followed the instructions. This is important, because you may have misunderstood something or missed a step, and knowing what you expected to see will help the developer recognize that.

TROUBLESHOOTING/TESTING STEPS TRIED:

Describe anything you did to try to fix it on your own.

WORKAROUND:

If you found a way to make the mod work in spite of the bug, describe how you did it here.

ATTACHMENT:

output_log.txt or player.log

I'm experiencing a problem. Ive been using ATM since it's original release and am greatly disheartened by it. It appears to put a complete halt to my career mode game.

Here's a fresh save without ATM

http://i.imgur.com/8vjtV5v.jpg

And here's that same game with ATM

http://i.imgur.com/qt4Tp6a.jpg

My contracts just completely disappear. Removing ATM makes them reappear. I'd like to continue modding my KSP but since the win64 fall out I've had to go back to 32x and without ATM working I'm dead in the water

hmmm... this is with the most recent ATM version?

BUG REPORT
Bug Title - Amazing Transient Mise
DATE SEEN
Uhmmm What date was ATM 3-5 released?

VERSIONS
Windows 7
KSP version: 0.25.0.642
Mod version: 3-7 [have attempted 3-5, and 3-6 as well; both basic and aggressive]
other installed mods
[img=http://i.imgur.com/XcYZ0Ll.png]

hardware information
[img=http://i.imgur.com/EKCgN9P.png]

BUG DESCRIPTION
Contracts do not appear for new career saves. Existing saves can no longer utilize the space center buildings except the VAB and SPH.

SEVERITY:
Catastrophic (at least for me)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Basically installing ATM. I cannot get any more specific than that. I've not touched any of the configs in the mod itself.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR:
New saves with ATM installed have full functionality in the KSC except there are no contracts at mission control. Existing saves can only use the VAB or SPH. Any other building traps the player in the functionality of that screen. (IE: I click R&D. I can utilize the R&D facility as per norm however I cannot exit the screen nor even exit to main menu) Only escape is alt+F4

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:
I expected to play KSP as per norm? Not certain what else to expect.

I originally assumed most of my mods would break with KSP 0.25. Especially with the x64 hate. I started over with a fresh KSP install, installing chosen mods as they were approved for 0.25 use. When I first noted the problem I wasn't sure which mod to blame, so I began eliminating any that featured contract content (DMagic, Fine Print). With that not working, removed all mods and installed just bare parts packs (with ATM). Not dice. Reinstalled a fresh KSP, removed mods figuring possible corrupt files, downloaded everything again. No dice. Began systematically removing mods and starting KSP to see an impact. Narrowed it down to ATM. Without ATM, I can only use X number of mods, but KSP plays normally; with ATM I can install whatever I want, but I cannot have a functioning career save.

WORKAROUND:
None found so far.

ATTACHMENT:
http://dumptext.com/gO08T4Mx

<snip>

While I must congratulate you on a thorough bug report, I'm using 3-7 Basic with fully functioning contracts so I suspect ATM isn't to blame. That dump log is useless, it's cut off before the main menu is loaded. Also, I may be stupid, but you don't appear to have an ActiveTextureManagement folder.. And UniverseReplacer is deprecated and horrible, try TextureReplacer instead.

does it compress textures on every game load, slowing it down every time? or is it like Squad Texture Reduction Pack reduces textures once and then have improved perfomance&loading time

Any resized textures are saved in a separate cache and are used to replace the larger textures during load. The first launch of KSP after installing ATM will take a long time as ATM builds its cache. Subsequent launches can be slightly faster than a launch without ATM

does basic affect mods ?

It includes CFGs for common mods. Additional CFGs have been created by the community (search the thread) or are easy to roll yourself.

For a part, like most of those in SXT, that reference another part for its texture using MODEL {}, does the texture reference count as a new texture and get loaded? Does ATM recognize this technique and ignore those texture references?

For a part, like most of those in SXT, that reference another part for its texture using MODEL {}, does the texture reference count as a new texture and get loaded? Does ATM recognize this technique and ignore those texture references?

It's only loading each texture in GameData once.

While I must congratulate you on a thorough bug report, I'm using 3-7 Basic with fully functioning contracts so I suspect ATM isn't to blame. That dump log is useless, it's cut off before the main menu is loaded. Also, I may be stupid, but you don't appear to have an ActiveTextureManagement folder.. And UniverseReplacer is deprecated and horrible, try TextureReplacer instead.

I left out the ATM folder specifically because the image is under "Other Mods" heh

I congratulate you on having a fully functioning game; that said I was running 64x 0.24 with a 40+ mod game flawlessly where others came across bug after bug. I've tried to narrow it down as much as I can, removing my various mods and ATM is the most logical conclusion Ive come to so far. Can't say "it should work" just because it works for you

As far as the log it's not much of a dump; the game doesn't actually crash. Its running; just ineffectively.

and Ive been meaning to replace universe replacer...just slightly lazy >_>

Heres a snip of the log I just ran using an established save; one which I cannot escape without alt-F4

[LOG 23:17:01.473] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'MapOverlay' from assembly 'Kethane'
[LOG 23:17:01.474] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'SettingsWindow' from assembly 'RealChute'
[LOG 23:17:05.435] [ScenarioDestructibles]: Started. 39 objects registered
[LOG 23:17:14.425] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:17:14.427] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Contracts.Contract.Save (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.ContractSystem.OnSave (.ConfigNode gameNode)
ScenarioModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (.ScenarioModule module)
ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules ()
Game.Updated ()
GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
MCSceneSpawner.onMCDespawn ()
EventVoid.Fire ()
MCDespawner.BtnExit (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)
UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)
AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr)
UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex)
UIManager.DispatchInput ()
UIManager.Update ()
[LOG 23:17:31.565] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:17:31.566] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Game.Updated ()
GamePersistence.SaveGame (System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
EventVoid.Fire ()
UIManager.Update ()
UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI ()
SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera ()
SpaceCenterCamera2.Update ()
[EXC 23:17:55.117] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Contracts.Templates.PartTest.GetDescription ()
Contracts.Contract.get_Description ()
Contracts.Contract.MissionControlTextRich ()
MissionControl.UpdateInfoPanelContract (Contracts.Contract contract)
MissionControl.onButtonSelect (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)
UIRadioBtn.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)
UIManager.Update ()
[EXC 23:18:02.265] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UIManager.Update ()
[EXC 23:18:03.612] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UIManager.Update ()
[LOG 23:18:15.417] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:18:15.418] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Game.Updated ()
EventVoid.Fire ()
UIManager.Update ()
[LOG 23:18:16.574] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:18:16.575] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Game.Updated ()
EventVoid.Fire ()
UIManager.Update ()
[LOG 23:18:23.597] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:18:23.598] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Game.Updated ()
KSCPauseMenu.draw (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[LOG 23:18:24.863] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:18:24.864] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Game.Updated ()
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[LOG 23:18:25.794] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:18:25.795] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Game.Updated ()
[LOG 23:18:26.637] Flight State Captured
[EXC 23:18:26.638] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Game.Updated ()
[EXC 23:18:38.495] NullReferenceException
UnityEngine.Component.get_transform ()
PQSCity.OnSphereReset ()
PQS.Mod_OnSphereReset ()
PQS.ResetSphere ()
PQS.OnDestroy ()
[LOG 23:18:38.519] [RealChute]: Saved settings file.
[EXC 23:18:38.524] NullReferenceException
SpriteMesh.CreateMesh ()
SpriteMesh.get_mesh ()
SpriteRoot.Delete ()
SpriteBase.Delete ()
UIListItemContainer.Delete ()
UIScrollList.RemoveItem (Int32 index, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing)
UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing)
UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy)
ApplicationLauncher.RemoveModApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button)
RealChute.SettingsWindow.OnDestroy ()
[EXC 23:18:38.551] NullReferenceException
SpriteMesh.CreateMesh ()
SpriteMesh.get_mesh ()
SpriteRoot.Delete ()
SpriteBase.Delete ()
UIListItemContainer.Delete ()
UIScrollList.RemoveItem (Int32 index, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing)
UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing)
UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy)
ApplicationLauncher.RemoveApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button)
ContractsApp.OnDestroy ()
[LOG 23:18:38.571] FAR: save AG actionGroupSpoiler as Brakes
[LOG 23:18:38.572] FAR: save AG actionGroupIncreaseFlapDeflection as None
[LOG 23:18:38.572] FAR: save AG actionGroupDecreaseFlapDeflection as None
[WRN 23:18:38.590] [Kethane] Saving settings

Edited by balricaso
adding log snip

Is there a very basic "howto" sort of thing that would let me set this up so it excluded the textures on the toolbars in game? Running aggressive they all look so fuzzy and craptastic... I'm just wondering if there's a way to make it a little easier on my eyes.

Is there a very basic "howto" sort of thing that would let me set this up so it excluded the textures on the toolbars in game? Running aggressive they all look so fuzzy and craptastic... I'm just wondering if there's a way to make it a little easier on my eyes.

You could try the 6-8 Beta release which rbray89 mentioned a little while back, it has minimum size support so things like the toolbar icons would be automatically excluded from compression and may fix your issue.

Be warned however that it is a beta release and not a mainstream update so YMMV.

To continue your automobile example, it's Squad's problem, as Squad claims KSP has a multi-fueler engine as far as image formats are concerned, but actually has problems running with TGA format fuel. From NathanKell's article:

A new issue has arisen in 0.25: sometimes 0.25 just fails to load TGAs (but not every TGA and not every time, either).

TGA's have been used by Squad in the GameData/NASAMission/ tree and many mods, as a search for "*.tga" in GameData/ will find. To continue the car example, Squad's driving and they've pranged the front-right rocker panel--*again*! :rolleyes:

I don't think it was metl who said this, but someone else referred to KSP 64-bit. AFAIK, most mods now will only support KSP 64-bit on Linux, as Windows Unity 64-bit and Windows KSP 64-bit are full of bugs. Even Squad says KSP 64-bit on Windows is experimental and has gotten worse in KSP 0.25. I have Windows 64-bit but I run KSP 32-bit just to avoid that crap.

Edited by Jacke

I am getting a very weird, persistantly recurring, error where any time I have ATM installed, no matter if it is Basic or Aggressive, anytime I enter a building interface. Once in a building, like the research center or whatever, if I try to leave the game kind of locks where the outside KSC screen boundry shows up, but the center of the screen remains the building interface I was looking at. I can still interact with the building, even though I am technically no longer in there. I can hit escape to bring up the load / save / exit menu, and I can try to load a previous save. However, if I hit Exit Game, nothing happens. I can never leave a building, once in it. I need the ATM to play my modded career, but this error is making it impossible.

Any suggestions?

I am getting a very weird, persistantly recurring, error where any time I have ATM installed, no matter if it is Basic or Aggressive, anytime I enter a building interface. Once in a building, like the research center or whatever, if I try to leave the game kind of locks where the outside KSC screen boundry shows up, but the center of the screen remains the building interface I was looking at. I can still interact with the building, even though I am technically no longer in there. I can hit escape to bring up the load / save / exit menu, and I can try to load a previous save. However, if I hit Exit Game, nothing happens. I can never leave a building, once in it. I need the ATM to play my modded career, but this error is making it impossible.

Any suggestions?

I'm also experiencing this problem; both sad/glad to know I'm not the only one. I'd suggest filling out the following:

BUG REPORT

Bug Title - one liner

DATE SEEN

date the bug was found goes here

include the time, if you are submitting more than one bug

VERSIONS

Operating System and version

KSP version

Mod version

other installed mods, if applicable

hardware information, if applicable

BUG DESCRIPTION

A concise description of what the problem is. Pure description, no narrative or conversational language.

SEVERITY:

Trivial, Minor, Major, or Catastrophic

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Step by step instructions on how to reproduce this bug.

Do not assume anything, the more detailed your list of instructions, the easier it is for the developer to track down the problem!

Test these steps as you have them written. If they don't work then the bug is unreproducible and should not be reported yet.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR:

Type what happens when you follow the instructions. This is the manifestation of the bug.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

Type what you expected to happen when you followed the instructions. This is important, because you may have misunderstood something or missed a step, and knowing what you expected to see will help the developer recognize that.

Describe anything you did to try to fix it on your own.

WORKAROUND:

If you found a way to make the mod work in spite of the bug, describe how you did it here.

ATTACHMENT:

output_log.txt or player.log