[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

I get an NRE from ATM on load. With context, so you can see where:

AgentList: 30 agents parsed and loaded.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.SetupLoaders () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[CelestialBody]: Kerbin's solar day length is 6h, 0m, 0s long. sidereal day length is 5h, 59m, 59s long

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From LOADING to MAINMENU =====================

This is with 3-8, and things do appear to be working properly ingame. But I figured I should point it out. I will try on a stock install, etc, to see what's causing it.

I get an NRE from ATM on load. With context, so you can see where:

AgentList: 30 agents parsed and loaded.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.SetupLoaders () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[CelestialBody]: Kerbin's solar day length is 6h, 0m, 0s long. sidereal day length is 5h, 59m, 59s long

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From LOADING to MAINMENU =====================

This is with 3-8, and things do appear to be working properly ingame. But I figured I should point it out. I will try on a stock install, etc, to see what's causing it.

Yeah, it is because we try to run outside of the loading context I think. It should be easy to fix when I get the time.

So I removed ATM as a test to see if OpenGL could hold its own and I was surprised - not even cracking above 1.9GB, and that's with KW Rocketry and a whole bunch other mods.. I'll see how it handles B9 when that gets updated and possibly NearFuture as well.

Anyway, I digress - loading with ATM takes a LOT less time than without, so what do I need to change in what config to not rescale or downsize anything, but still take advantage of the drastically decreased loading time, if possible at all?

Delete the two folders for ATM and reinstall. Small graphics do work.

I did. Still have fuzzed icons.

On edit: Weird. I just strolled through the textureCache, and icons are indeed not being cached. They're still fuzzy though.

vkzYCLv.jpg

Edited by lincourtl

It's not mod related, the stock game does that. Try higher settings, I can't remember what exactly it was though. Maybe full res textures.

Doh! I was sure I had full res textures set in the options. Thanks.

So you are saying that even with an empty Gamedata folder you see this? That means you probably have a memory leak somewhere. Try a fresh install of KSP (not just clean GameData) and keep a very careful record of memory+mods. Infact, one thing you could try is to add all the mods back in, but slowly delete MOD *.dlls (save things like module manager for last though) to see which one is causing your memory to spike. This should help you find which mod is eating memory.

Ok, I'll see about doing this over the weekend and report back.

You will get fuzzy icons if you have set your graphics options to anything but full-res textures

Well, that's new for 0.25 then, because I've ALWAYS played the game with the option set to 'half res', but it's only in the last week that the icons have been so blurry as to be almost unreadable. :(

Anyone get some oddly dark textures using ATM? Started to get crashes from running out of memory in .25 so got ATM installed, and some things like Kerbal suits and pods have odd dark spots on them, almost like the lighting is all wonky. Didn't happen before using ATM. Tried both basic and aggressive.

I can provide screens if needed. I haven't touched KSP for a couple of versions, and never had a problem with my mod selection and ATM before.

I'm still crashing even with Active Texture Management in .25 with b9 and texture replacer, is it possible that i'm hitting the memory ceiling even with ATM?

It is entirely possible. Open up your Memory Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC on windows) and check how much Memory KSP is using while loading. if it's the 32 bit game it caps out at about 3.5GB

I could really use some help with a problem I'm having while using ATM in conjunction with Texture Replacer.

Whenever I use ATM it refuses to allow Texture Replacer to replace textures. When I load up the game none of the textures I have set up in Texture Replacer are there, it uses the stock textures. I've tried making a config file so that ATM ignores Texture Replacer but to no avail. This is odd because before I did a reinstall I had this set up and it was working perfectly.

I'd really appreciate some help as this is getting quite frustrating.

So you are saying that even with an empty Gamedata folder you see this? That means you probably have a memory leak somewhere. Try a fresh install of KSP (not just clean GameData) and keep a very careful record of memory+mods. Infact, one thing you could try is to add all the mods back in, but slowly delete MOD *.dlls (save things like module manager for last though) to see which one is causing your memory to spike. This should help you find which mod is eating memory.

Ok, for my "fresh install" I renamed my existing KSP folder and used Steam to reacquire the game files. Would that be a proper procedure? Unfortunately it didn't change anything even then.

Empty GameData:

M7ipnJI.png

output_log file

With stock GameData:

qIxRFV9.png

output_log file

I should note I copied over my settings config file to the fresh install. When I deleted it to run with a stock config I noticed the memory drop by like 20-30MB in both cases but that was it.

i think i'll go on the hunt too. i am sitting on 3,2Gb after loading the game. the only 'bigger' things i use are Better Atmospheres V5 and KWRocketry. the other mods are only small, functual mods without high partcount. so i think 3,2 is too much and something is using all my ram..

ksp_mods.jpg