[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

You do realize that this is the *realism* overhaul thread, right?

And once an ablatively cooled engine is used up, it can't be ignited again. Ever. Period. So to answer your question, everything.

But there are engines in RO(typically upper stage ones) that can be reignited using hypergolics but can't be reignited using, say, KeroLox. How can an ablative nozzle be a factor in those? It is primary those types of engines I was interested in reigniting. After all, booster engines generally fire in atmosphere and can't be reached with EVA before they are jettisoned anyway.

And furthermore, *realism* overhaul or not, it does not keep track of the ablative material on the engine. If I burn for half the time the rocket is designed for, did I just use up all of the ablative coating? What about a fourth of the the time? What about a mere one second? Is that really how ablative cooling works?

EDIT: And because I'm genuinely curious, why can an ablative heat shield survive multiple heating events (provided sufficient ablative material remains) but a ablatively cooled rocket engine cannot survive two ignitions?

Edited by Oksbad

anyone figure out RO fixes for TAC?

You can try out jrandom's TAC RSS fixes, linked here. The readme says to change a few values by hand and then the cfg alters some other stuff for realism. I was using it when he first released it a few months ago, before I switched to ECLSS, and I remember it working pretty well. I haven't had time to play in the past few days, but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to try it out again.

You can try out jrandom's TAC RSS fixes, linked here. The readme says to change a few values by hand and then the cfg alters some other stuff for realism. I was using it when he first released it a few months ago, before I switched to ECLSS, and I remember it working pretty well. I haven't had time to play in the past few days, but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to try it out again.

Just as a heads up, the link in that post is dead.

This seems to be the cfg's for TAC RO here (a few posts after the one that was linked) HERE

Needed files seem to be @ Additional_Configs\GameData\zzz_Additional_Configs\RealismOverhaul: TACLifeSupport.cfg, cabins_EnergyUsage.cfg, pods_EnergyUsage.cfg (i believe the other files are already in newest RO version, maybe RealChute.cfg is useful, but i haven't looked at it)

If anyone could confirm that, can you please let me know, thanks

Edited by Guest

I have a problem in my install of RSS+RO where null ref exceptions get spammed when any part is connected to the bottom node of AIES engines. Sometimes it causes FAR to fail as well. Anyone know what may be causing this? I have the full spread of mods installed so it'd probably be a nightmare to pinpoint whats causing it unless someone else has experienced it as well.

ps. I landed my first rover on the moon! It really is alot more difficult than the kerbin system. It took hours and hours to build the craft.

pps. I found another problem where the connection between a procedural interstage adapter and a stretchy tank wouldn't be saved properly; when you save and exit, then return to the vab or spawn the craft, the interstage fairing is clipping deep into the stretchy tank. The workaround to this was to connect a non-stretchy tank underneath the stretchy tank and attach the interstage adapter to that. Slightly off topic but I'd mention it.

Aazard: That's what I have in my download folder.

BahamutoD: 1. Please post output_log.txt. And make sure you have the absolute latest FAR.

2. Congrats!

3. Known issue; swamp_ig has fixed it, I believe, along with much other stuff, in Stretchy's successor, Procedural Parts.

Just as a heads up, the link in that post is dead.

Eep! I must have moved something around. Here's a working link. Some of the stuff in there will be waaay out of date but the TAC stuff should still be good. There's both a .cfg, and instructions in the ReadMe for manually changing some values the .cfg can't.

Remove any .cfg you don't want/need.

Edited by jrandom

So do you guys do anything to tweak the huge number of asteroids that end up coming through Kerbin's SOI? The number I have is getting absurd. I have 4 "moons", 6 on a collision course and maybe 20 on an escape trajectory.

BahamutoD: 1. Please post output_log.txt. And make sure you have the absolute latest FAR.

2. Congrats!

3. Known issue; swamp_ig has fixed it, I believe, along with much other stuff, in Stretchy's successor, Procedural Parts.

Ah, I thought I had the latest FAR. Turns out I had 0.13 and not 0.13.1. The update seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks for pointing me to Procedural Parts as well, and keep up the good work!

yes i am, and i have no clue what you talking about lol, yes they do, and ive added a ****ton of struts no to long ago, and its help slightly, but not good enough.

oh, and also, do you have any craft files that i could use? particularly replicas of real crafts, i cant make crafts that work fast enough lol and i need to fly!!! XD

Edited by The Russian 1021

In messing around with latest build of "FusTek Station Parts Expansion" pack, i found that the "FusTek-Parts.cfg" caused an issue with rescale, placing nodes inside of parts texture (making them look very odd connected), deleting this file seemed to fix issue, anyone know of a fix to keep resizing, with the connecting nods and textures not becoming distorted?

The Russian 1021: Per the readme, open (in notepad) KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement/config.xml. Near the top you will see

<bool name="reinforceAttachNodes">0</bool>
<bool name="reinforceDecouplersFurther">0</bool>

change each 0 to 1

That should stiffen things. Also, Ferram says many struts are worse than no struts. After this change, try with no struts at all. If you still get problems then add struts sparingly only one or two at a time.

As for craft files I would recommend this thread. Also you can look at Ferram's LV tutorial here.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Ferram just updated KJR. Grab that.

Aazard: I assume you're trying the dev build of Fustek, which wasn't around when the rescale cfg was made. Looks like it needs to be remade.

Edited by NathanKell

After some trail & error, i have edited jrandoms TAC RO fix file to do the following for manned command module components: (which i hope makes them fall inline with RO's pattern)

1. nerf reaction wheels (to: PitchTorque = 0.01/YawTorque = 0.01/RollTorque = 0.03/energy rate = 0.001)

2. Alter existing RT2 settings for 6+ crew parts to be command stations & change existing RT2 comms devices (to: Mode0OmniRange = 0.0000001, Mode1OmniRange = 50000000, EnergyCost = 0.09 with PacketInterval = 0.3, PacketSize = 2, PacketResourceCost = 15.0)

and included cfg files packaged with it for manned B9, Bobcats Soviet pack, FASA , Home Grown Rocket parts, ALCOR, AIES, FusTek Station Parts Expansion, Habitat Pack, Interstellar/squad science labs parts to make them have default comms and fixed any issues stopping TAC from working (& and removed any ECLSS resources) > forgive any sloppy edits/sloppy methods but everything appears to report correct TAC/Reaction wheel/RT2 information (i hope this makes them fall inline with RO's pattern)

** Made some small changes to Habitat pack & FusTek parts as below to provide more useful setup using RT2/KAS/TAC (FusTek-Parts.cfg seems to need to be removed from Realism Overhaul folder to avoid odd nodes/textures on FusTek parts until newer version is made)

-Added large co2 scrubber/water purifiers to Bobcat Mir station parts that had life support generators > to move them to TAC support (away from ECLSS)

-Added large co2 scrubber/water purifiers and a 50 unit KAS container to Habitat Packs "Storage Container F.L.A.T" > to make it the "core unit" of stations/bases

-Added large co2 scrubber/water purifiers to FusTek "Karmony utilities" & "Karmony utilities adapter" > seeing part description it seemed the "life support" center

-Added a 50 unit KAS container & default RT2 comms device to FusTek "Karmony logistics" & "Karmony logistics adapter" > seeing part description it seemed the non-copula "operations" center for comms/minor storage

-Added a 500 unit KAS container to FusTek "Karmony Warehouse" & "Karmony Warehouse adapter" > seeing part description it seemed the "main storage/cargo" center

-Added a 500 unit KAS container, 30 units storage of each TAC resource/waste item & default RT2 comms device to FusTek "Resupply Module" > seeing part description it seemed the "ferry" for life support/KAS item

To improve it past this I would need to learn more about modifying KSP files or have this looked over by someone that is more knowledgeable about it than I.

files are HERE

Edited by Guest