[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

First of all, thank you (and those having written the other mods) for the awesome experience RO is (of course, I am still bound to earth orbit, but still).

However, a small problem still exists: Both RT2's flight computer and MechJeb SmartA.S.S. seem to be unable to cope with the RCS.

Specifically, the RCS is hooked up and working (I can use it myself easily), but both RT2 and MechJeb seem to just fire it wildly. No automated orientation change works (when trying to do so, the engines fire in every direction changing every few seconds). KSPs stock SAS works without any problem.

Has anyone experienced something similar and found a solution to it?

This, of course, is not a huge problem, only one of comfort.

Thanks in advance.

Did you remember the RT2 community hotfix?

I think I only installed the .dll and missed the rest of it.

Still at a loss for my Procedural Wings problem though. It is like they reverted back to a previous version. I can't set the root size or change the size on the procedural control surfaces other than length and and one sides width. Get an error in the output log saying that FAR doesn't reconize the 4m B9 control surface Procedural part..... It is odd. No other faults in the output log.

Well, to clear up what I mean by saying that, I meat that when I installed all of the required RSS and RO mods, as well as AIES and TAC Life Support, Kerbin looks fine from space or up high, but it's really just barren, and it looks like Kerbin's poles. Completely flat except for KSC's pit. KSC is in a pit, yep. I tested it and the sheer cliffs end at about 10km, and that's where the huge barren "tundra" of sorts happens. Please tell me how to fix this... :(

I'm on Windows 8. Steam KSP copied for mod install, not launched with Steam. (I only use Steam to update KSP, because Gaben's servers are slightly better than SQUAD's.)

BombastixderTeutone: First, it's not really safe to set a part's mass to 0. Set it to something like 0.0001. Also, recall that solid fuel is itself heavy, and 843 units of it are going to mass about 1.5 tons. If you want your fuel to actually provide thrust, it's gonna need mass. You could of course give your engine an insanely high Isp, and then decrease the amount of SolidFuel contained, I guess...

Ok now the LES has the Mass that I want, produces as much thrust as I want and the pitch and aerodynamics are fine too. Only thing that needs change is the burn time that I want to change through the ISP. How can I do that? I don't see what I have to change in these configs

@PART[NP_LES_EscapeTower_Large]:Final //NP Large LES

{

@description = Medium-large LES for 3+ person capsules. 2M mount point.

@mass = 0.1

@maxTemp = 1800

@rescaleFactor = 4.16

@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]

{
@ejectionForce = 250
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]

{
@maxThrust = 890
@heatProduction = 275
@atmosphereCurve

{
@key,0 = 0 198
@key,1 = 1 180
}

!PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] {}

!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}

!PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant] {}

PROPELLANT

{
name = SolidFuel
ratio = 100
DrawGauge = True
}

}

!MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs] {}

MODULE

{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
techLevel = 0
origTechLevel = 0
engineType = S
origMass = 0.1 configuration = SolidFuel
modded = false
CONFIG

{
name = SolidFuel
maxThrust = 890
heatProduction = 275
PROPELLANT

{
name = SolidFuel
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True

} IspSL = 0.9
IspV = 0.9

}

}
!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}

!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}

!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] {}

!RESOURCE[SolidFuel] {}

!RESOURCE[XenonGas] {}

MODULE

{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
basemass = -1
volume = 843
type = Solid
TANK

{
name = SolidFuel
amount = full
maxAmount = 100%

}

}

!MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor] {}

New problem cropping up. I think it's possibly a Real Chutes problem. Whenever I try to use a different size than the part list default for the radial/stack chutes, I get very strange results; such as the chute icon not showing up in staging. Here's a link to the output log of the last wonky event, which happened when trying to load a craft in the VAB that was experiencing this issue. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31137162/output_log.txt

Will also send the log to the Real Chutes guy.

New problem cropping up. I think it's possibly a Real Chutes problem. Whenever I try to use a different size than the part list default for the radial/stack chutes, I get very strange results; such as the chute icon not showing up in staging. Here's a link to the output log of the last wonky event, which happened when trying to load a craft in the VAB that was experiencing this issue. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31137162/output_log.txt

Will also send the log to the Real Chutes guy.

Well, his thoughts are that it's just a memory issue. Too many mods, etc. Oh well, I'll keep at it unless things degrade past what I consider still playable.

Hello, have just installed Realism Overhaul and Realistic Progression LITE. Everything seems to be working, but I'm confused with planes speed. I've built a simple plane, raise it to 17k meters turned off engine and pointed it to ground. As a result it hit ground at speed 350 m/s. The same time probe that is falling from 200k hits ground only at 120 m/s. I'm new to KSP, so just wanted to ask if it is expected behaviour, or am I missed something during installation? Thanks.

Hello, have just installed Realism Overhaul and Realistic Progression LITE. Everything seems to be working, but I'm confused with planes speed. I've built a simple plane, raise it to 17k meters turned off engine and pointed it to ground. As a result it hit ground at speed 350 m/s. The same time probe that is falling from 200k hits ground only at 120 m/s. I'm new to KSP, so just wanted to ask if it is expected behaviour, or am I missed something during installation? Thanks.

If you have all of the mods for RO installed, then you should have FAR installed, which means your probe which is not only lighter but probably has more drag then your plane is the reason why it is hitting the ground at considerably less speed.

I'm going to push my original post, since it's probable it wasn't noticed while being moderated.

First of all, thank you (and those having written the other mods) for the awesome experience RO is (of course, I am still bound to earth orbit, but still).

However, a small problem still exists: Both RT2's flight computer and MechJeb SmartA.S.S. seem to be unable to cope with the RCS.

Specifically, the RCS is hooked up and working (I can use it myself easily), but both RT2 and MechJeb seem to just fire it wildly. No automated orientation change works (when trying to do so, the engines fire in every direction changing every few seconds). KSPs stock SAS works without any problem.

Has anyone experienced something similar and found a solution to it?

This, of course, is not a huge problem, only one of comfort.

Thanks in advance.

In the mean time, I have another question: Are there experiences for this to work with kOS or kRPC?

If you have all of the mods for RO installed, then you should have FAR installed, which means your probe which is not only lighter but probably has more drag then your plane is the reason why it is hitting the ground at considerably less speed.

Thanks, seems to be like that. All that I have in front of the plane (wings and inlet) has zero drag. The problem is that the only way to land it, is to add hudge airbrake, as speed never goes below 90 m/s. BTW, is there any plugin that shows total drag of the vehicle?

I'm going to push my original post, since it's probable it wasn't noticed while being moderated.

In the mean time, I have another question: Are there experiences for this to work with kOS or kRPC?

RCS used by MJ or even the SASS, fly without the SAS on most of the time. So it is constantly making minor adjustments.

Has anyone been able to get the FusTek station parts to work correctly when resizing? The config included with RO has the parts named wrong, but when I correct the names, I start getting lots of z-fighting and the tapered ends are gone. Plus crashes...

Thanks, seems to be like that. All that I have in front of the plane (wings and inlet) has zero drag. The problem is that the only way to land it, is to add hudge airbrake, as speed never goes below 90 m/s. BTW, is there any plugin that shows total drag of the vehicle?

I think you may have a problem with drag calculation. An intake and wings should not be zero drag. That actually should be a fair bit of drag at the front of the craft.

FAR has the drag numbers in it, listed beside the "cd" line.

If you have MJ or KER it will also tell you the total drag of the vehicle.

The EngineIgnitor.dll can't work because of the RealFuels.dll.

During I use RealFuels.dll, the counter of Ignitions:Electric 1/1 doesn't change.

I can ignite all engines infinite times.

How can I make EngineIgnitor.dll work well?

I think you may have a problem with drag calculation. An intake and wings should not be zero drag. That actually should be a fair bit of drag at the front of the craft.

FAR has the drag numbers in it, listed beside the "cd" line.

If you have MJ or KER it will also tell you the total drag of the vehicle.

As I found out CircularAirIntake params were overriten by Advanced Jet Engine now it is 0 instead stock 0.3. And for the wings I'm using Procedural Dynamics that has 0 drag by default. Also I'm using KER, but can't find drag data there.

Has anyone been able to get the FusTek station parts to work correctly when resizing? The config included with RO has the parts named wrong, but when I correct the names, I start getting lots of z-fighting and the tapered ends are gone. Plus crashes...

I have made a new MM patch for the FusTek Space Station parts, because the old one currently in RO is outdated. Mine is finished and ready to be released in the next iteration of RO. I just need to go though it one more time since sumghai just made a new dev release. I can post it here or P.M. you if you're interested.

I have made a new MM patch for the FusTek Space Station parts, because the old one currently in RO is outdated. Mine is finished and ready to be released in the next iteration of RO. I just need to go though it one more time since sumghai just made a new dev release. I can post it here or P.M. you if you're interested.

I would definitely like that, whichever you would prefer. This has brought up something else that I think this mod actually really needs, namely an adapter or two to allow standard sized docking ports to be fitted to RO sized docking port spaces, or maybe even a "dual purpose" docking ring that fits 2m and 1.25m. The issue here is that there are just too many parts packs that have not, and probably will not for some time, be resized to the RO standard, but would still be nice to be able to fit in game without ugly empty spaces. Just a thought.

aki_miyabi: yours is the first problem I've ever heard between RF and EI. This leads me to believe it's an install problem. Delete both and install both fresh with the latest version of each. Make sure you have only 1 copy of each DLL (no old dlls hiding somewhere). Make sure you have 1, and only 1, Module Manager dll in GameData, and it's 2.1.5.

romie: answered on AJE thread.

Arteals: (1) you need FAR. (2) the only place to find drag data with FAR installed is in FAR. You can get the total drag by opening the FAR window and then the flight data window, and multiplying your dynamic pressure (Q) by your reference area and then by your Cd.

You can also right-click on parts to get their drag in kN.

NathanKell : thank you for your reply.

Today I try EI v3.2 and RF v6.0 or v6.1 or v5.3.

I deleted the folders every time.

Then I can play limited ignition with EI v3.2 and RF 5.3.

I use only one Module Manager dll v2.1.5.

I think RFv6 has something which cause the trouble.

Thank you for your reading.

I would definitely like that, whichever you would prefer. This has brought up something else that I think this mod actually really needs, namely an adapter or two to allow standard sized docking ports to be fitted to RO sized docking port spaces, or maybe even a "dual purpose" docking ring that fits 2m and 1.25m. The issue here is that there are just too many parts packs that have not, and probably will not for some time, be resized to the RO standard, but would still be nice to be able to fit in game without ugly empty spaces. Just a thought.

Ok. I will P.M. you when it's done. A short conic Stretchy or PP tank could be used as an adapter between FusTek and other parts. Btw, the FusTek parts are 4,4 and 2,2 meters in diameter now.

There is at least one mod called something like "universal docking port", maybe you can take a look there and see if it works? I can't make models or parts, but if you can, give it a go!

Anybody got an Idea why this Spaceship-Lander-Combo produces uncontrollable torque when the spaceships engine thrusts at 100%. My Personal guess is that it is the command capsule with its' off center COM.

cykeyCs.png

Edited by BombastixderTeutone
Useing different picture that showcases my problem moreclearly

Anybody got an Idea why this Spaceship-Lander-Combo produces uncontrollable torque when the spaceships engine thrusts at 100%. My Personal guess is that it is the command capsule with its' off center COM.

http://i.imgur.com/cykeyCs.png

This is because the center of lift / mass for the pod are not in alignment so you can

. The red arrow there is showing you where it wants to turn under thrust. I would shrink the size of your COM ball to see if there is a turn circle there, and if there isn't, just move / add weight 90° CCW (or is it CW? It's been so long since highschool physics...) from the arrow until it's gone. Edited by SpacedInvader