[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

So, alas SFJackBauer has been quite busy so the full version of RealEngines isn't up yet, but I was sent a copy that they said I could release if necessary (all that's really lacking is EngineIgnitor configs). I'll release a v3.1 as soon as I get those, and hopefully also the complete(-ish) FASA patch.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this round!

Changelog:

v3 -- \/

*Switched to SFJackBauer's RealEngines. Added partial B9, CSS, and ISS support from that pack.

*Sum Dum Heavy Industries Service Module support

*Added modular RCS support to KW, AIES, and RLA

*KW battery support

*Added rescaled KW fairings with realistic masses

*Finished the Squad pods (lander cans, cupola)

*Added by redde: Fustek station parts rescaling (for 0.03.5a)

*Added by jrandom: realchutes patch, ALCOR rescale, Nothke's Service Components rescale, additional fairing rings.

*Added by amo28: NFPP solar panel support

*Added by SRFirefox: Hitchhiker and Lab rescale

*Added by dlrk: 2M Clamp-O-Tron and Shielded Clamp-O-Tron

Yeah finally the update and SDHI support and real chute support was mainly what I waited for :D big thanks to everyone who contributed to this update

Switch back to RSS ASAP XD

What do you mean by "switched to SFJackBauer's RealEngines." Does this mean when I install RealFuels that I should be using that set of engine configs instead of your Reaching for the stars one?

I'm still finding it pretty confusing to get all the pieces of this pie correctly installed.

You have two options: use the RealEngines that come along with the download of RealismOverhaul, or ignore that other folder and download the Reaching for the stars config

You have two options: use the RealEngines that come along with the download of RealismOverhaul, or ignore that other folder and download the Reaching for the stars config

Well those were my two options before, but the phrase "switched to" implies a change :)

In any case I guess I might as well try out the RealEngines since I didn't last time.

I can't seem to figure out the new EngineIgniter. None of my engines will ignite. I tried placing the ignitor toolbox on the tank but that didn't work. My main stage is kerolox so it won't auto-ignite.

Also after updating I seem to have lost the ability to edit some of my engines in the action editor. Also the new engines apparently don't play well with the recommended Realistic tech tree. I'm still low on the tree and now I have very few engines and almost all of them are HUGE tech 6/7 engines whereas i'm in tech 1.

Still having a heck of a time figuring out how to get the engine ignitions to work. I finally realized I need to use the launch clamps to provide ignition of my kerolox engines at launch, but why won't my hypergolic upper stage self-ignite?

Still having a heck of a time figuring out how to get the engine ignitions to work. I finally realized I need to use the launch clamps to provide ignition of my kerolox engines at launch, but why won't my hypergolic upper stage self-ignite?

I figured it out. For some reason the electric charge in the probe doesn't work. Even though it has enough charge. Putting a battery pack on the rocket makes everything work.

OPTIONAL:

Reaching for the Stars Engines. Delete your SFJBRealEngines folder, and download this cfg. Place RftSEngines.cfg in your RealismOverhaul folder. Note you will need the plugin from dtobi's Space Shuttle Engines or Smart Parts mods.

Requesting a bit of clarification on this. In the previous version of RO, and a config of RftS I downloaded on Jan 8th, all I did was drop the config in my RO folder and everything appears to have been working. For the newest version of RO with the RftS engines, do I now need an additional .dll to make this work and have the RftS engines?

Also, I see engine igniter has become a mandatory mod. Is this for purposes of realism or is this hardcoded into RSS/RO, like will things break if I don't have the engine igniter plugin? Same for the real chutes mod. I was playing successfully (for the most par) in the previous version just a few days ago. I don't mind grabbing these mods, but I try not to overdue it with mods too much with my pc being an older rig.

Thanks NathanKell and all the others that helped with this latest release!

Engine Ignitor is indeed optional, and the other mod you mentioned:

AbeS: Allows gimballing for roll as well as pitch/yaw.

But I wonder, it only allows roll for engines that have more than one "engine" right?

Eadrom: I've switched all the gimbals in RftSEngines to use dtobi's new gimbal, since it (a) supports non-instant gimbal response (no, F-1 did not gimbal instantly...) and (b, and more importantly) allows engines offset from the centerline to gimbal for roll control--this is necessary both to allow rolling, and to prevent the roll that the stock gimbal module induces.

You can keep using the RftSEngines.cfg you have; I don't think anything major changed in RftSEngines.

Engine Ignitor requirement is not hardcoded; just if you don't have the mod then you won't get limited restarts and ullage simulation. Shouldn't have any impact on performance to add it, though.

Cheers!

AbeS: If you placed one engine such that it doesn't fire through the centerline, then you can roll with it. You get other problems though, of course. But yes, it's mainly for supporting verniers and for craft with engine clusters (both to support roll, and to fix the issue where clustered engines with the stock gimbal module will induce roll).

dlkr: Very possible. I encourage you to do it. :)

Captain_Party: licensing, usually. In point of fact that's why I asked Sarbian to add the $ operator to ModuleManager (copy node), but it doesn't work because the root of gamedatabase is readonly...

Kurbis: Yes, they're recommended for RO as well. Or rather, RO is one of them. :)

Thanks for the update! I just added EngineIgnitor, and am using the RftS setup, and have run into a weird problem - the LR69 hydrolox engine seems to have inverted controls. Have tested a few other engines, and they are fine - it only seems to be the LR69. This kind of sucks, as I rely on it for several designs. Any idea how to fix this?

Edit: Also added dtobi's shuttle pack.

Edited by m_robber

I'm having a problem where RCS_Squad.cfg is causing the game to stop loading (everything works without this file). It doesn't crash or anything, the loading bar just stops moving when it gets to loading the linear RCS part. In the log the error appears to be:

[ERR 16:04:56.372] Cannot find a Module of typename 'ModuleSPU'

[ERR 16:04:56.373] Cannot find a Module of typename 'ModuleRTAntenna'

[WRN 16:04:56.374] Could not create PartResource of type 'Aerozine

[WRN 16:04:56.375] Could not create PartResource of type 'N2O4

[LOG 16:04:56.378] Aerozine not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

[EXC 16:04:56.379] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 16:04:56.385] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Which appears to be an issue with RealFuels, so I reinstalled RealFuels 4.1 (along with the RTFS engine cfg if it matters) and nothing has changed. Help?

m_robber: I will check it out on my end. I got the inverted controls bug once myself with something different; I will try to track it down. Definitely has to do with the new gimbals.

metroidman63: it can't find Aerozine or N2O4, which certanly sounds like RF 4.1 isn't installed and working properly. Delete any ModularFuelTanks or RealFuels folder in ksp/gamedata. Extract the RealFuels v4.1 archive to ksp/gamedata. Before loading KSP, make sure you have only one module manager dll anywhere in gamedata. Then launch KSP. If it still fails, zip and upload your ksp/KSP_Data/output_log.txt

dlrk: if I knew that, I'd have banged the configs out long ago. I spend months researching this stuff; I haven't had time to research spaceplanes and hypersonic aircraft and their structural coefficients etc. I suggest looking up all the diagrams and plans and reviews you can find on various spaceplane projects and 'gettng a feel' for their size vs. dry mass fraction (and subtract engine from that dry mass) and then try to piece it out into parts. Takes a lot of fiddling with Excel.

I'm not trying to be a downer or snarky or anything btw; it just *is* a lot of work, work that's usually hidden by the fact that all users see is "oh my tanks mass something different now."

Agathorn: are you using RftSEngines now? They should all have at least one ignition available. Makre sure you're using the absolute latest Engine Ignitor and that...oh. Right. Delete all cfg files in KSP/GameData/EngineIgnitor. Sorry, I *totally* forgot HoneyFox has been bundling configs with EI. Bet they've been conflicting. Super sorry!

I'll ask if either HoneyFox can remove them as automatic inclusion in the mod, or if I can just include a stripped down version in RO.

Nathan, yeah I see what you mean about how that can be a lot of work. This isn't quite my forte, but I'll give it a try. I'm thinking I'll try this based on materials rather than actual projects, since so few have been accomplished. I'll look up the weights of various materials, choose the one that seems the most realistically viable, and change the mass accordingly, and the volume similarly.

I'm not quite sure how the volume works, however. How did you choose what volume to have each tank hold? Is this directly related to size? If so, how do I find the size of a part at it's default(1 to 1) scale?

Edited by dlrk