[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Ha that's funny, so by rescaling the engines I got them to just perfectly stop disappearing inside the tank and so never noticed this issue. However there is still a problem in clustering engines where the size of the base will prevent me from getting them close together because of clipping.

Yes I know that now, I'm saying that this doesn't prevent their bases from clipping on each other though.

Yes you are right. If its any consolation, i'm working on modeling engines that don't have the base plate.

Yes I know that now, I'm saying that this doesn't prevent their bases from clipping on each other though.

I know, this is a issue I circumvent by toggling Part Clipping in the Alt+F12 menu.

Yes you are right. If its any consolation, i'm working on modeling engines that don't have the base plate.

Great to hear! Looking forward to it!

Edited by SFJackBauer

That is indeed what RftSEngines are for, if you're using RO sizes, and the new stockalikes by J_Davis and Chestburster (coming soon; prerelease available) if not. The old stockalikes are like halfway between realistic and stock KSP.

Regarding RftSEngines. I updated them. Lowered thrust of the LR18 and LR16 slightly, changed heat to depend some on TL, and, the biggest change, until dtobi releases new versions of SSE/SmartParts with the fixed gimbal, I've switched RftSEngines to using careo's ExsurgentEngineering SmarterGimbal. Note you will need the latest version of ExsurgentEngineering.dll available HERE--this is more recent than the "fixed for .23" version floating around the B9 thread.

I may be doing something wrong, but I'm finding a lot of inconsistencies in rescaling, especially in parts within the same pack. For example, my KW fairings are scaled to the new size system, (1m, 2m, 3m...etc), but the KW interstage sections and conical fuel sections still use the old system (.625m, 1.5m...). PF also still uses the old sizing scheme, but I was under the impression it was changed?

I'm also having big problems with FASA. it seems like most parts haven't been scaled up, or some have been scaled up differently. ixyDo0v.png

It looks like the Mercury capsule was left alone, but the retros were scaled up, with the solid one being even larger than the liquid. This also makes problems for the auto-shrouds. And I can't use these parts with the stock pod because of the size discrepancies.

So have I done something wrong, or is there a way for me to rescale these myself?

Edit: I realized I didn't have Nathan's FASA patch, is that the fix? And does it go in the RO folder?

Edited by brooklyn666

That is indeed what RftSEngines are for, if you're using RO sizes, and the new stockalikes by J_Davis and Chestburster (coming soon; prerelease available) if not. The old stockalikes are like halfway between realistic and stock KSP.

Regarding RftSEngines. I updated them. Lowered thrust of the LR18 and LR16 slightly, changed heat to depend some on TL, and, the biggest change, until dtobi releases new versions of SSE/SmartParts with the fixed gimbal, I've switched RftSEngines to using careo's ExsurgentEngineering SmarterGimbal. Note you will need the latest version of ExsurgentEngineering.dll available HERE--this is more recent than the "fixed for .23" version floating around the B9 thread.

Yeah, I've started usong them... really cool btw... But whats with the minimum thrust thing? It's really annoying. I'm all for realism but... Is there anyway to disable it?

That's realism :P but to change it you'd have to change throttle in the cfgs, set it to 0 for all engines

Nathan, then we no longer need the other gimbaling plugin? or we are supposed to use both now?

Captain_Party: Very, very few rocket engines are throttleable, generally only (1) modern human-rated lower stage engines (where they need to throttle down to limit Gs during ascent) and (2) landing engines like the Lunar Module Descent Engine. If you want engines that are always throttleable, use the current stockalike option. If you *really* want to play RftSEngines without throttling issues, open the cfg in notepad and replace every occurrence of "throttle = " with "throttle = 0 //" and save.

AbeS: you no longer need dtobi's. My apologies; I should have tested it more thoroughly before requiring it. Some engine models, it turns out, have funky rotated gimbal transforms that don't interface well with the way dtobi wrote the module.

brooklyn666: My assumption is that given that most rockets don't have even-meter sizes, you'll use stretchy tanks and procedural interstages. But per a request from asmi, who likes KW fairings better than Proc Fairings, I did a whole set of KW Fairing rescales (note: they're not changing the original parts; they're cloned rescaled parts). I did not however add rescaled versions of their interstages (since procedural interstage can scale to *any* size) but if there's demand it shouldn't take too long to add them, or you can yourself.

For FASA parts you need the FASA patch in post 2 (it's a modulemanager patch file; put it anywhere under GameData, like in the RealismOverhaul folder). You also need to make sure your engine configs don't also create configs for FASA parts. I can certify that RftSEngines is safe, as is SFJackBauer's RealEngines. The stockalike configs, however, have "stockalike" configs for FASA engines.

Make sure that there is no MFSEngines.cfg or StockEngines.cfg anywhere in GameData. Next, make sure you have *either* an RftSEngines.cfg file in the RealismOverhaul folder, and no real_engines_*.cfg anywhere in GameData, *or* an SFJBEngines folder in GameData with two real_engines cfg files and no RftSEngines.cfg file anywhere in GameData.

Thanks Nathan. I like the KW interstages because they are only 1 part, but I can live with the PF ones. The only problem is that my Procedural fairing bases still use the .625m, 1.25m sizing. Is that correct, or are they supposed to be 1m, 2m...

And the FASA.cfg causes my game to freeze when loading. It get's to FASA_Gemini_Centar and then freezes. (I like that part, but if it's the only offender, I can take it out). The only engine cfg I have is RftSEngines. Everything else is where it should be, and there are no duplicates or extra conflicting cfgs, so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Ok I swear, once I get FASA working, I'll be all set. Anyway, no matter what I do, the FASA.cfg freezes during loading. I'm well below the max RAM usage (I'm at roughly 1.3gb)

Could it be a conflict with the active memory reducer? Or maybe firespitter? I have no idea anymore. Here's my KSP log if anyone can glean information from it.

LOG 01:41:02.399] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Flags/Flag_Pod/FASA_Flag_Pod/FASAFlagPod'
[LOG 01:41:02.418] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Flags/Flag_Pod/FASA_Flag_Pod2x/FASAFlagPod2x'
[LOG 01:41:02.433] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Flags/Flag_Pod/FASA_Flag_Pod4x/FASAFlagPod4x'
[LOG 01:41:02.449] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_ASAS_MiniComp/part/FASA_Gemini_ASAS_Comp'
[LOG 01:41:02.475] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Agena/Agena_Ant/FASAAgenaAnt'
[LOG 01:41:02.489] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Found TRANSMITTER block.
[LOG 01:41:02.515] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy
[LOG 01:41:02.515] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy
[LOG 01:41:02.516] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Agena/Agena_Docking/FASAAgenaDocking'
[LOG 01:41:02.539] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Agena/Agena_Engine/FASAAgena_Engine'
[LOG 01:41:02.556] Added sound_rocket_spurts to FXGroup running
[LOG 01:41:02.556] Added sound_vent_soft to FXGroup deactivate
[LOG 01:41:02.556] Added sound_explosion_low to FXGroup flameout
[LOG 01:41:02.659] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Agena/Agena_Engine_FP/FASAAgena_Engine_FP'
[LOG 01:41:02.665] Added sound_rocket_mini to FXGroup running
[LOG 01:41:02.697] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Agena/Agena_LFT/FASAAgenaLFT'
[WRN 01:41:02.711] Part already contains resource 'UDMH'
[WRN 01:41:02.711] Part already contains resource 'NitricAcid'
[LOG 01:41:02.722] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Agena/Agena_ProbeCore/FASAAgenaProbe'
[LOG 01:41:02.742] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Found TRANSMITTER block.
[LOG 01:41:02.765] RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy
[LOG 01:41:02.765] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy
[LOG 01:41:02.767] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Fairings_Plate_2m/FairingsPlate/FASAFairingsPlate2m'
[LOG 01:41:02.781] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Fairings_Plate_2m/FairingsPlate1m/FASAFairingsPlate1m'
[ERR 01:41:02.802] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:41:02.811] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[LOG 01:41:02.814] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Fairings_Plate_2m/FairingsPlateCone1m/FASAFairingsCone1m'
[LOG 01:41:02.826] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Fairings_Plate_2m/FairingsPlateCone2m/FASAFairingsCone3m'
[LOG 01:41:02.838] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Gemini_BigG/Gemini_BigG/FASAGeminiBigG'
[LOG 01:41:02.905] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Gemini_BigG/Gemini_BigGDocking/FASAGeminiBigGDock'
[LOG 01:41:02.915] Added sound_rocket_mini to FXGroup running
[ERR 01:41:02.928] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:41:02.954] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[LOG 01:41:02.961] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Gemini_BigG/Gemini_BigG_White/FASAGeminiBigGWhite'
[LOG 01:41:02.986] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Gemini_BigG/Gemini_Sci_Radmeter/FASAGeminiSciRadmeter'

All parts that RO adds are much further into your parts list; they're not with the originals (parts are loaded based on folder name; RealismOverhaul comes after Keramzit). Page down/right/whatever a page or three; they should show up.

It's not hard to rescale the interstages; look at how I rescaled the KW fairing bases for inspiration.

Re: FASA.cfg: after you quit, post your KSP/KSP_Data/output_log.txt and I'll look at it. You must have *something* lying around somewhere (do you have, perchance, *both* a FASA_Real_Gemini folder *and* a FASA.cfg file in RealismOverhaul?).

EDIT: I need the output_log.txt, not the ksp.log file.

Or not. Found your error. You're using a *very* outdated copy of RftSengines. When did you last download it (and when did you last download RO itself?) Follow the instructions to reinstall RO and RftSEngines (yes, this means nuking your present RO folder, installing RO, deleting the subsequent SFJBRealEngines folder, and finally downloading and copy in RftSEngines.cfg)

Given how out of date it is--you should make sure you're running the current version of *all* your mods, as you may be behind on others too.

Got ninja'd. That's strange. I got all of the stuff from the links on Medieval Nerds tech tree thread. I downloaded RO/RSS, and DR independently less than 2 weeks ago, so they should be up to date, but I'll check to make sure. I also just updated to the latest FASA, and the other part packs are as up to date as I can find. The latest RftSEngines.cfg is the one on your dropbox, correct?

Anyway, THANK YOU. You are the best.

Edited by brooklyn666

Hey guys

I'm playing RO in career with MedievalNerd's tech tree, and have run into what seems to be a game breaking bug: when I reload a quicksave, my ship disappears. The space center scene also disappears when I try to go back to it. I quit the game and restart it, only to find that my ships get duplicated on top of one another. Instead of having 11 flights in progress, I have 17, and when I load one of the duplicated ships, it loads them all on top of one another, creating a rather spectacular explosion. Anyone know what could be causing this, and if there's a fix?

Also, I'm confused as to where I should put the ExsurgentEngineering dll. Is it the Gamedata or Plugins or...? And should I remove the smart parts/space shuttle mod?

Thanks for the help, and all the hard work you modders put in!

Edited by m_robber