[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Hey, did you notice that Frizzank added actual Mercury RCS to the last FASA release? Might be worth checking out. Well, that, and the clamps should be updated with proper fuel pump functionality for RF.

Has anyone noticed problems where your active craft just stops accepting all inputs? This happens to me occasionally, where even though I DO have a remote connection and I DO have plenty of battery, the game stops accepting all inputs to the craft, but the rest of the game still functions. If I drop to the space center, then jump back to the craft then everything works again.

FYI Nathan, a couple bugs I've noticed with the RftS configs:

- Looks like the two engines inside "RealismOverhaul/Parts/RPL" are missing EngineIgnitor modules.

- The "Decurion" shows "-4" ignitions and the Centurion shows "0" ignitions in the VAB.

- The number of ignitions shown in the VAB is not representative of how many you can actually do while flying (e.g. "Prefect ®" shows 1 ignition in the VAB, but if you right-click on the engine in flight it shows 5 ignitions).

Edited by ChronicSilence

Thanks! Will fix those engines, although they never should have been in RO anyway, they were stuff I made for MedievalNerd, stuck there, and forgot about :blush:

The negative ignitions thing is by design. As the Calcs docs say, "Ignitions: Number of ignitions available to the engine. If >0, that many. If 0, unlimited. If <0, engine will have (current TL - this) ignitions, with a minimum of 1."

Note this is converted by RF, when feeding data to EngineIgnitor, to the appropriate number (or -1 if unlimited).

Dragon01: Checking.

Agathorn: uh, hasn't happened to me, but I don't really play much...

EDIT: Updated link to RftSEngines since I finally made a little pack of changes for RftS.

It also includes a change I should have made a while ago: swapping the LR29 and LR37's stats (more or less).

Edited by NathanKell

You're too quick to respond, you missed the edits I made to the post :)

Some inconsistencies then:

- does it make sense that the Centurion, an L+ class engine, has 0 (unlimited) ignitions?

- some engines (like Centurion) say 0 ignitions, some (like Signifier ®) actually say "infinite ignitions.

- Centurion engine says 0 ignitions, which should mean unlimited, but actually has 8 according to the right-click menu in flight (this inconsistency is present with many engines, like the Prefect)

- the Decurion, which has "-4" ignitions, shows 10 ignitions in-flight when set to Tech level 6.

- are the Signifer and Optio engines, which run on Amines/NitrousOxide, really supposed to use <1% Amines and >99% NitrousOxide? That could just be me not understanding hypergolics though.

- why are the cryogenic versions of super stretchy fuel tanks lighter than their non-cryogenic counterparts, while holding the same amount of fuel (roughly 50% lighter in dry weight)? I would think they would be heavier, with the extra insulation and all (and no, I'm not confusing it with the balloon tanks).

Edited by ChronicSilence

Hah, sounds like I have some math errors. ^_^

Fixing.

The way it's supposed to work is that the ignitions available in the CFG and in the Calcs sheet are never directly given to EngineIgnitor; they're intepreted by RealFuels as specified in my previous post. EngineIgnitor will only ever get -1 (for unlimited) or >=1 (for limited), but the number >=1 may or may not depend on the engine's TL (if the number in the CFG was originally negative, then that means it's TL-dependent).

I already found and fixed the sign error (you should have gotten 2 ignitions for Decurion at TL6, but I was doing - instead of + in RF).

I will examine my excel sheet to see why the export to the actual module was wrong. Note that because of the way Squad wrote KSP, values given when mousing over parts in the catalog will NOT be up to date; it calls GetInfo too early for that, and never updates. The info when you mouseover a *placed* part should be correct.

Makes sense. Sign errors wreak havok :). I was also unaware that the catalog values weren't correct, which is unfortunate and rather confusing. I wonder if there's a way to separately specify values that are read into the catalog vs. what are read by the plugin, so they could be manipulated to match...

Any thoughts about the Amines/NitrousOxide or the regular/cryo tank mass inconsistencies?

I corrected the exporter. Now the catalog values will be correct *for the engine as it appears in the catalog*, i.e. at that TL and with that propellant mixture. It's a bit extra work, but eh. :)

(The errors you were seeing, other than the sign error, were purely cosmetic; things worked once the engine was placed and RF had a chance to override EngineIgnitor's values.)

Fixed Rfts_pack_v1 updated; Calcs updated.

The N2O/amines thing is working as designed. It's because KSP uses a volume ratio for propellants, not a mass ratio (which, if you look in Calcs, is usually around 3.0 ox:fuel for N2O/amines). Since RF treats gases as at STP, and N2O is a gas, that means to get a mass ratio of 3.0, you need like 9999 *units* of N2O for every *unit* of Amines. Since the N2O is stored at 300bar in the tank, though, it's not such a problem: you'll still be able to fit plenty in the tank. Just use autoconfigure and try it out; it should work just fine.

Hmm, didn't seem to fix it for me. The Centurion now has a value of 1 displayed in the catalog (both before and after placing the part on the rocket), but it shows as "Ignitions: Electric 8/8" on the engine in-flight. Could be a conflict with a different mod, I suppose, but I'm only using the ones recommended in the OP.

You also keep dodging the question about cryo vs. non-cryo tank mass ;)

*(&^@ I still didn't answer your question about cryo tanks!

Sorry. :blush:

Anyway, cryo tanks *should* be: lighter for an equivalent volume of LH2/LOx (well, slightly); but *heavier* for any non-cryo mixture. (0.67 as heavy for hydrolox; 1.12 as heavy for kerolox vs a default tank)

Hey, did you notice that Frizzank added actual Mercury RCS to the last FASA release? Might be worth checking out. Well, that, and the clamps should be updated with proper fuel pump functionality for RF.

Have you noticed that the Mercury RCS doesn't seem to use up any fuel? It also seems to be missing, or I couldn't find, the other set of RCS jets.

Hey Nathan, I've been having a (very cursory) look at some .cfg files, and I'm just wondering how the in-game parameters relate to reality? I'm looking at FASA.cfg in the RO folder, and LR-87 the ratio of N2O4 to Aerozine looks to be approx. 54 to 45, whereas Wikipedia (Like I said, cursory) says it's 1.93/1.

Also, is there an online source for amounts of fuels carried on spacecraft?

Thanks for your perseverance Nathan, this game would be nowhere without modders like you.

Aw, thanks! :)

The issue is that KSP operates by volume ratio whereas in real life the ratio is given as a mass ratio. You have to divide the propellant masses by their densities to get the volume ratio. Rest assured that by mass the ratio *is* indeed 1.93

There's a calculator on the Volumes page of my calcs sheet (post 2 in RF thread) if you want to play around / check figures.

Engine Ignitor (by HoneyFox). NOTE: You MUST delete all cfg files in the root EngineIgnitor folder after you install Engine Ignitor.

I did that, and the engines no longer have fuel stability, ignition requirements etc.

Should I have moved them somewhere else instead? Did I not get some other cfgs I should have?

Or is that the intended way for the Realism Overhaul to function, and the Ignitor mod does something more subtle?

Thanks to all for the work & support for this. I'm having great time with a big Kerbin and all the new challenges to consider.

To my great frustration i found out that you have to connect Stratus V roundified monopropellant tanks to the fuselage with fuel lines otherwise your RCS will not work.

So i would like to ask is this a bug or a feature?

I just found out that the "initial dry mass" of all tanks are way over exaggerated.

I'm trying to make the Falcon 9 v1.1 and I managed to get the same thrust and burn time for both stages but the TWR is 1.0 for the first stage and 0.7 for the second stage.

The only explanation I could find is for the dry mass being too much. It cannot even get it's weight to LEO. Did you guys notice that?

qt7y.jpg

For example for this 52 ton tank, the dry mass should be around 5 ton and not 20 ton. When I correlate values with the default tanks it gives me around 10.4% ratio dry mass to total mass. Now I understand why I couldn't get into orbit despite building more powerful rockets. :D

Edited by Devinci

To my great frustration i found out that you have to connect Stratus V roundified monopropellant tanks to the fuselage with fuel lines otherwise your RCS will not work.

So i would like to ask is this a bug or a feature?

The default RCS propellant is hydrazine, which follows a normal flow logic. So yeah, it's a feature. But you can change this if you want. There should be another monoprop with all_vessel flow.