[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Im having a problem with the mk 1-2 command pod. For some reason it doesnt seem to be aerodynamically or imbalanced. So my escapetowers spins out of control. Did anyone else have this problem?

Ohh just figured out it is suposed to be like this. Didnt know that :P

Edited by Romby

Simple: you don't. :)

Oh, thanks for the explanation.

What confuses me is "payload to LEO" listed on various sources (Wikipedia, Gunter's page, etc.) Is it just a theoretical payload listed for reference then which isn't attainable normally?

I have no trouble with Zenit/Proton (other than not having realistic Proton 2/3-stage engines :(), was mostly curious about Atlas and Delta, especially since Delta IV Heavy is supposed to launch the Orion somehow.

You most certainly can go to LEO. You need to loft high with the first stage and circularize after apogee. With the second stage, burn level until you start descending and then pitch up to manage descent rate such that you reach desired orbit altitude at 0m/s vertical velocity.

I regularly use a replica of the Delta IV Medium and have no problems going to LEO. Try using the official ascent path, which you can find on the ULA website in the Delta IV user guide. If your using MechJeb, I usually use 0.3-300 with a gradient of 30, circularising at 407km. Usually works pretty well. Though you may have to play around with the gradient depending on your TWR.

Still no ignitors? I'm kind of disappointed.

If you are, then imagine how I am.

Still no ignitors? I'm kind of disappointed. Also, could you add Dtobi's engines, including his excellent RS-25?

Oh he released already? Awesome! I need to add his thread to my bookmarks.

I'll prep a new set of configs in a bit.

Hey has any one come up with a config edit for the Explore parts in The new FASA? I am also haveing a problem with the mercury RCS It looks for mono perpelent.

Almost makes me wish I could finger out how to do two installs of ksp form steam....

Edited by tmikesecrist3

I love the new gimbaling! However: I'm seeing that any engines placed in the centerline that don't have roll gimbaling disabled will still vector in some direction when you press Q or E. This results in my rocket veering off course. Is there any solution besides manually disabling roll gimbaling on the center engine of stages?

I love the new gimbaling! However: I'm seeing that any engines placed in the centerline that don't have roll gimbaling disabled will still vector in some direction when you press Q or E. This results in my rocket veering off course. Is there any solution besides manually disabling roll gimbaling on the center engine of stages?

Second post huh? Welcome!

Yes, for now at least, this will happen, and a good solution is to disable Roll in VAB (first item in the right-click menu), and it will be persisted with your craft so you don't need to do it every time again.

So Nathan said he would add a config that makes the 4m UP decoupler counter the offset of the mk1-2 pod, but I think he forgot to :P

Just add this config somwhere in your GameData

(WARNING: it only works if you use the heatshield: Mk 1-2 Pod -> Heat Shield for Mk 1-2 Pod (4M) -> UP40 Decoupler)

@PART[decoupler_ftr_4m]:Final
{
CoMOffset = 0, 0, 1.0972
}

Edited by AbeS

Hey, JSYK, I have been encountering problems with the newest RE config. Jack, the inclusion of Dtobi's "Smart" gimbal plugin has all of my rockets (That worked before) faceplanting into the ground. MJ seems to be completely unable to hold a straight heading, and ends up shaking the rocket apart, or on a ~310 degree inclined orbit. I was trying for 0. Yeah. This is with the most recent version of RO, Real Engines, RF, but I am a version or so behind RSS. (I am waiting for the Launch site selector to be a bit more stable.)

Hey, JSYK, I have been encountering problems with the newest RE config. Jack, the inclusion of Dtobi's "Smart" gimbal plugin has all of my rockets (That worked before) faceplanting into the ground. MJ seems to be completely unable to hold a straight heading, and ends up shaking the rocket apart, or on a ~310 degree inclined orbit. I was trying for 0. Yeah. This is with the most recent version of RO, Real Engines, RF, but I am a version or so behind RSS. (I am waiting for the Launch site selector to be a bit more stable.)

I had this problem once with my rockets, I think it was having roll controls turned on for single engine units, my rocket would shake itself apart because it was trying to compensate for two vectors at once. Is the roll turned off?

I posted this question in real solar system... but might be better here.

Is there a version of this that just scales up the power of the stock parts? I love the idea of real fuels, real solar system etc... and already use most of the other hard mode mods. But I'm really not interested in using mod part packs or stretchy tanks. For me the fun part is building the ships, gets a bit dull clipping together 4 part replicas, I'd rather have the challenge of designing my own.

Basically I'd love to see a version where I can use stock ships with the real solar system without them being ridiculously underpowered. FASA is great... but its no challenge clipping it together.

I had this problem once with my rockets, I think it was having roll controls turned on for single engine units, my rocket would shake itself apart because it was trying to compensate for two vectors at once. Is the roll turned off?

Nope roll is on. But MJ isn't trying to roll. It is jus trying to keep it straight (I think), but it is just pitching and yawing all over the place. It manages to shake some previously reliable rockets to bits. And yes, I am using KJR. I will post a .CRAFT if others wish to test.

It is more likely to be a problem with MJ than anything else, but even on manual control some of the afore mentioned reliable rockets become incredibly hard to control. (Roll control works like a dream though.) I wonder if it would be possible to set a max gimbal angle as a tweakable?

Edited by Deathsoul097

It is tweakable... Oh, and MJ can't handle Dtobi's gimbal, you should fly without it. Relying on it is just asking for trouble, it can't handle FAR, DRE, engine ignitors, and it's unable to make proper use of SAS.

It is tweakable... Oh, and MJ can't handle Dtobi's gimbal, you should fly without it. Relying on it is just asking for trouble, it can't handle FAR, DRE, engine ignitors, and it's unable to make proper use of SAS.

Oh, now that's where you're wrong. Before Dtobi's gimbal plugin, MJ could guide any and all of my ships to orbit reliably better than I could ever hope to achieve. With FAR. (I don't and never have used DRE or EI. Personal preference, don't be hatin'. :P) Now? not at all. And no, the Gimbal SPEED is tweakable, however every engine has pre-set Gimbal RANGES that I would like to be tweakable more that just "Off" or "On". Also, I have been messing around with MJ's settings, and it now flies straight and true. All of the time. It was looking good, so I set it away on it's own and I come back 5 mins later and it is still going straight up. Needless to say, on kind of the right track, but definitely NOT what I wanted.

Well, when I flew, I only used it on fixed thrust engines (ones it couldn't throttle down and extinguish), and only on ascent. With FAR, ascent autopilot can be flyable if you're careful with it, but any spaceplane stuff is out. Dtobi's gimbals never really caused me such trouble, only if they were configured wrong (as a dev, I had to fiddle with their settings quite a bit), but they should be allright with RealEngines.

Nope roll is on. But MJ isn't trying to roll. It is jus trying to keep it straight (I think), but it is just pitching and yawing all over the place. It manages to shake some previously reliable rockets to bits. And yes, I am using KJR. I will post a .CRAFT if others wish to test.

It is more likely to be a problem with MJ than anything else, but even on manual control some of the afore mentioned reliable rockets become incredibly hard to control. (Roll control works like a dream though.) I wonder if it would be possible to set a max gimbal angle as a tweakable?

Is your gimbal mode set to smooth, or precise?

Smoooooooooooooooth. (Just like the Jazz in the VAB. ^_^)

All of my engines can throttle completely (Personal Preference), but MJ limits to 4G, and most of my stages will barely hit that. Setting the gimbal mode to smooth helped at first, but it is still really bad. It doesn't help that almost all engines in the pack have a gimbal range of ~7 degrees.

I, too, have real problems with getting mechjeb to run with the new gimbaling action going on.

It wobbles 100% of the time, even when flying straight in space, when it didn't do before. Same rocket, just the mod changed. This is true for my delta IV and my delta IV heavy, with roll turned on and off etc.

I'm not sure, if it's a mechjeb problem or a gimbal problem. But it keeps me from trying to get rockets into space.

(and to the guy that complains about mechjeb - I am NOT going to do a 4 + 9 minute orbital insertion by hand).