[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

I see people asking for resized non-strechy tanks so I thought I give it a try but I'm new at this so it didn't work. What am I doing working? Example of what I did.

@PART[KW1mtankPancake]

{

@description = "1m liquid fuel tanks, available in many sizes."

!MODEL {}

!MODEL {}

MODEL

{

model = KWRocketry/Parts/Fuel/KW1mtankPancake/KW_Fuel_1mPancake

scale = 0.8, 0.8, 0.8

}

%rescaleFactor = 1.25

}

Of course I also need to modify the volume of the tank as well but haven't done that yet.

To the ones with problems with MechJeb - Try this and see if it helps.

5XpMTqO.png

The default settings of RealEngines with dtobi gimbal is to have the Response setting at max, exactly to be able to fly with SAS or MechJeb.

And regarding throttling down engines - there are other ways of keeping Gs down, like using a cluster of engines and shutting some down on the ascent.

Edited by SFJackBauer

Please help;.; Really want to use this but the nodes are far above and far below a lot of the engines. I have tried finding the files that need to be deleted but I cant to find any of them.:confused:

Pretty sure it's realism overhaul itself. It's annoying but the engines with nodes inside them will fit such that only the bell is visible, simulating the engine being one with the tank so to speak.

To the ones with problems with MechJeb - Try this and see if it helps.

http://i.imgur.com/5XpMTqO.png

The default settings of RealEngines with dtobi gimbal is to have the Response setting at max, exactly to be able to fly with SAS or MechJeb.

And regarding throttling down engines - there are other ways of keeping Gs down, like using a cluster of engines and shutting some down on the ascent.

Not exactly possible with most of the setups that I use. I usually cluster four engines in a square, or use a single central engine. Not both at the same time.

I haven't tried it on "Stock SAS" yet, simply because I have been going through everything else first. (Also, I am used to stock KSP, where engines can throttle, so I set it to that. Again, personal preference.)

EDIT:

O. M. G. :mad: I went through everything but "Stock SAS". Guess which one fixed it? Stock SAS. URRRRGH!

Edited by Deathsoul097

Not exactly possible with most of the setups that I use. I usually cluster four engines in a square, or use a single central engine. Not both at the same time.

I haven't tried it on "Stock SAS" yet, simply because I have been going through everything else first. (Also, I am used to stock KSP, where engines can throttle, so I set it to that. Again, personal preference.)

Just change the minthrust in real_engines_stats.cfg to 0 if that's what you want. This is assuming you have SFJBRealEngines.

OK nevermind, you already did this.

Pretty sure it's realism overhaul itself. It's annoying but the engines with nodes inside them will fit such that only the bell is visible, simulating the engine being one with the tank so to speak.

No, his issue is something else. If the nodes are far above and far below, then he can't be complaining about the nodes inside.

And, before that, people complained that the circular base of the engines didn't fit the tanks diameter - of course they wouldn't fit. I guess you can't please everybody.

@jonnyt21, most likely its due a messed install. To help you I need to know what you did before you got to this point - what you installed, and in which order. But some recurrent things are:

- having two .cfgs that alter the engines

- not having the latest version of all mods

- having two or more ModuleManager dlls inside GameData

I can easily make a .cfg that uses only stock gimbals - in fact, it's so easy that I did - http://www./view/ul6ep3sht6z1vu6/real_engines_gimbal_stock.cfg.optional. Just remove the .optional from the file and delete the other gimbal .cfg

But I did a test with MechJeb - apart from the bizzarre rolling at the launch, everything goes fine from then on.

Edited by SFJackBauer

-Snip-

But I did a test with MechJeb - apart from the bizzarre rolling at the launch, everything goes fine from then on.

Yeah, that was weird. It happened to me too, once I used "Stock SAS". (Which, annoyingly, fixed it. I could have saved so much time, and the time of others just by trying that first. :mad:)

Yeah, that was weird. It happened to me too, once I used "Stock SAS". (Which, annoyingly, fixed it. I could have saved so much time, and the time of others just by trying that first. :mad:)

Still it's good that you have brought the issue. Remind that the "Stock SAS" option may not be better in all situations, for example once in orbit it is a RCS guzzler since it over-corrects so much. You have to switch it off then.

Still it's good that you have brought the issue. Remind that the "Stock SAS" option may not be better in all situations, for example once in orbit it is a RCS guzzler since it over-corrects so much. You have to switch it off then.

Hmm. I have also found that once I turned on stock SAS, my ships wouldn't respond to manual input while SAS is on. It may be due to using a slightly outdated reaction wheel part however. I wanted more control, so I stuck on a non rescaled reaction wheel. It could also be that my second stage weighs nearly 35 tonnes empty. (Including a dummy 10T payoad. Man, those J-2Xs and payload fairing bases are really heavy.) Oh well. My issue here has been resolved, thank you! ^_^

The order:

Real fuels

Stretchy srb's

ferram

real chute

engine ignitor

deadly re-entry

realism overhaul

In my gamedata there is:

Module manager.dll

Module manager_1_5.dll

Module manager_1_5_5.dll

Module manager_1_5_6.dll

Edited by jonnyt21

I've had the gimbal shake of doom happen to me as well. From my poor guesstimate the engine in question, a medium Soviet one, is gimballing at nearly 15 degrees, which is just extreme. Fine, maybe I'm putting too big an engine on too small a craft – but once I was past 5km or so, with SAS on, the entire ship started shaking all over and the engine was the culprit, since when I disabled gimballing it flew like a bullet.

ah thanks, it works now:kiss: But is there any way I can reduce the gimbal? because it shakes my rocket to pieces:huh:

Disable gimballing on as many engines as possible. Also use fine controls. Having too sharp/strong a gimball force will do that. SAS will start overcompensating etc and mess up the launch. If you use a cluster of engines, disable gimballing on all of them except for say the middle one.

I launch without SAS now and use the atmosphere to my advantage(using proper gravity turns etc.). It's strangely not that hard to do... Untill you mess up...

Is there a page somewhere with updating list of the correct versions of which modules work together or the realism update (which is fantastic)? There are an awful lot of pages of posts to go through to figure out if you need modular fuel tanks, stretchy fuel tanks, real fuel, stretchy SRBs, or what combination.

I've got various parts of the realism to work, but lots of finicky issues, probably due to versionitis.

Disable gimballing on as many engines as possible. Also use fine controls. Having too sharp/strong a gimball force will do that. SAS will start overcompensating etc and mess up the launch. If you use a cluster of engines, disable gimballing on all of them except for say the middle one.

I launch without SAS now and use the atmosphere to my advantage(using proper gravity turns etc.). It's strangely not that hard to do... Untill you mess up...

Alternatively, enable it on just two of the engines. You'll be able to control roll with them, then.

I'm confused about some of the settings I'm seeing in-game. A lot of the engines have the same min/max thrust set, and I also have a set of duplicate engines with the same name/description but different thrusts/ISP's/pictures (RS-25D engine). Help? Thanks :)

Ow, and I just came here with a load of questions on my mind about how to setup all of this! The bundler looks awesome and super convenient. It basically reduces all my questions down to one:

Is the selection of mods that the bundler presents as "default" a sort of "official recommendation" on how to set up Realism Overhaul game instances? Or is that just how jamis plays his game?

The bundler is a great concept, but having trouble getting java to do the right thin on my machine (my problem). Might it make sense to have a single add-on with all the necessary modules in one zip file - maybe even loaded at he spaceport? Then you could just dump everything into game data. Networks are so fast that downloading unnecessary stuff is only a couple of minutes anyway.

BTW: people have done a huge amount of work on this and it is appreciated - i'm absolutely not complaining here.