[Jebediah's Diary] Where to find good space station parts?

Wampa842

Sent Bob and Bill up to the old Ilmarinen III space station to disassemble and deorbit it. It was functioning properly, but seriously, it looked like crap. The manufacturers' rocket parts all look so..... un-sci-fi-ish. Good for blowing things up getting things to fly, but not suitable for something artistic such as space stations.

Right now I'm looking for freelance manufacturers who make more streamlined, more sci-fi-ish parts. I want my space station to look like something straight out from a sci-fi movie. Something that not only flies, but also looks fan-f[REDACTED]ing-tastic.

In a more comprehensible language, I'm looking for good mods that add aesthetic space station parts, functions optional.

Also, check out zzz's parts, both in his own thread and in the Interstellar mod...)

Please clarify or expand on 'zzz' as the useless forum can't search for a three letter field, and scanning the Interstellar thread has not revealed anything.

Please clarify or expand on 'zzz' as the useless forum can't search for a three letter field, and scanning the Interstellar thread has not revealed anything.

Whoops, right you are sorry 'bout that. :)

Zzz's own thread is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43840-Hab-Hub-%28and-other-strange-things%29

There are quite a few different pieces/parts to be found in the various pages, not everything is in the first post, just so you know. :)

However, almost everything s/he's designed, old and new, has been integrated into the KSP Interstellar mod, usually with added or altered modules to increase their functionality within that mod, so if micro-managing resources and running a really complicated mod with a heavy and steep learning curve is your thing, then by all means, check out KSP Interstellar. Also, zzz has designed several engines and other bits that are exclusive to that mod. For myself, I've downloaded the mod but I don't use it, I just altered the configs so I could use the parts I like. :)

There's no need for me to post a link to KSP interstellar though, just go to the 'Add-on Releases and Projects Showcase' thread, it's almost always somewhere on the first page, usually near the top, because SO MANY people have SO MANY questions about how to get the mod working right, it's that complicated. That, or it can derail into a 5 page discussion about the minutiae of precisely how to accurately replicate the decay of lithium into whatever within the nuclear reactors, or how efficient a thermal rocket engine is or isn't when attached to an antimatter reactor as opposed to a fusion reactor...

Ugh. You can tell that I'm not a fan of the mod due to its complexity, but I do like a lot of the parts that it comes with, so there you go. :)

Oh, also, I think some of zzz's parts are used in a few other mods, such as KAS (Kerbal Attachment System) and the Kethane pack too, but I don't use those so I'm not sure.

Anyway, most of what you'd want as far as space station parts you should be able to get from the original thread.

I hope this helps. :)

... Zzz's own thread is here...

Thanks, he's done some really great models, It took a while to plow through the forum posts and dig out all the links but well worth it.

(Interstellar mod)

... I'm not a fan of the mod due to its complexity, but I do like a lot of the parts that it comes with ...

I know what you mean, I mostly just pick and choose individual parts from different sets a lot of the time for their aesthetic value and if necessary change the config files to make them do what I need. It's reached the point where I'm starting to play with Unity, I may yet put some things together myself but it's a steep learning curve.

Thanks, he's done some really great models, It took a while to plow through the forum posts and dig out all the links but well worth it.

(Interstellar mod)

I know what you mean, I mostly just pick and choose individual parts from different sets a lot of the time for their aesthetic value and if necessary change the config files to make them do what I need. It's reached the point where I'm starting to play with Unity, I may yet put some things together myself but it's a steep learning curve.

Kewl, glad I was able to help. :)

Have fun! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.