What joystick should I buy?

Ambulatory Cortex

I'd like to purchase a new joystick for KSP. I currently have a Saitek x45, which I do not like(stick and rudder don't home properly, it takes excessive force to get it to move, and the throttle is broken). I want something relatively inexpensive; preferably under $75. I don't like the x52, as it appears to have the same awful centering spring that the x45 does(and it's over $75 anyway.)

Any help is appreciated.

I personally use a Logitech Extreme3DPro, listening to others it seems like a common mid-range joystick, can only say I've been happy with it: Enough buttons, a mini-throttle in a reachable place, and I don't believe the centering is off (I don't think I'd be able to tell :P)

joystick under $75. lol.

i have ch fighterstick and pro throttle (retail $125 each!), and pro pedals (retail about $100). thing is i bought them about 5 years ago and they still work great. wont get that kind of life out of anything saitek. or anything under $75. also made in usa.

Edited by Nuke

I mentioned this in the IRC, but I'll repeat it here for the sake of completeness:

I have a Saitek ST290 Pro. It's held up fairly well, but it takes a fair bit of pressure to get the stick moving, and I've lost buttons 5 and 6. I have two friends who swear by their Logitech Extreme 3D Pros, although I've never gotten around to asking them what they like and dislike about the stick.

I've got a Mad Catz/Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick. I don't play flight sims much so cant really say how it performs compared to others, but I love the thing. It's comfy in my hand, I can adjust it to however I feel, 9 buttons, two micro throttles, POV hat and a scroll wheel. All for 50 euros. Only problem is that it's quite stiff to start moving, so not good for precision bursts. But thats what my Attack 3's for. :)

The Saitek Cyborg Evo is really good quality-wise, once you get over the goofy science fiction look. Controls aren't loose, it has adjustable hand rests and enough buttons for most immediate needs and the throttle lever is the best I've ever seen on anything short of really high-class stuff. Should be around 30 euro or 35-40$.

Really, the only downside is that you have to control the rudder via twisting.

joystick under $75. lol.

i have ch fighterstick and pro throttle (retail $125 each!), and pro pedals (retail about $100). thing is i bought them about 5 years ago and they still work great. wont get that kind of life out of anything saitek. or anything under $75. also made in usa.

Very true. CH makes some really nice stuff; I didn't think to mention them or the higher-end TM units due to Cortex's $75 preference. Overall, I'd say CH and TM are the best, with Logitech and Saitek in distant second (my opinion).

put things in perspective i owned an early x52 (the one with major deadzone wear issues), and an x36. i probibly got less than 2 years out of each of them. my ch stuff has already outperformed it and shows no signs of slowing down.

the joystick market is somewhat ridiculous nowadays. very few people are buying them, and only a few games even support them anymore. they few companies left that manufacture them are ether extremely hard core (ch and thrstmaster) or are trying really hard to be (saitek, logitech). its not like in the 90s when everyone and their mother was making joysticks and almost all games supported them, and every self respecting gamer owned one. as a result prices are much higher than they should be.

I am planning to buy this joystick because it has MARS sensors on X,Y axis and an ability to upgrade twist to MARS as well:

d3Ejaow.jpg

Unfortunately, it has plastic mechanics. Still not bad for $60.

Edited by Shuttle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.