Here is my very low orbit mun probe

TYRT

I like low orbit probes. They are very exciting, and best done on fairly flat planets. The first one I made was called the "Eviel Knievel" and literally got so close that the fuel tank broke off while leaving the probe unscathed. It got really close to a mun arch too. I was trying to fly through it, actually. Obviously, this orbit was not safe and would require upkeep during flight to avoid mountains. Also, this was done before the Mun changed to have the new interesting terrain.

This orbit will let you crash into the mountains surrounding the equatorial canyon sooner or later

Right! But there's no long mountains on the mun more long than 5000:) So, you can't crash never.

But, While I'm trying set my apoapsis/periapsis less than 3000, you can crash. I hope I don't make a mistake while writing:)

Someone made graphs of the lowest terrain 'altitudes' against orbital inclination, and I'm pretty sure you can go as low as 3300 in equatorial orbit around the Mun without crashing. However, that was more that likely before 0.21, and the terrain has changed considerably.

I tend to avoid low orbits like these even for fun because of the time it takes to get round the orbit because of warp restrictions; the lowest I ever made use of was 7km x 7km because I needed to rescue a lander which had very little fuel. Still, that's a very nice low orbit probe you have there :)

Sometimes vessels left in very low orbits simply disappear, even if the orbit doesn't pass below the terrain. The next time you check that ship, it might not be there. :(

This.. sadly. I had a low flyer around Dres that just wasn't there anymore one day. I had a nice EQ orbit and I baby sat the probe for a few orbits. All seemed well. I wonder though if I was even 0.1 degrees off an EQ orbit. And over awhile the terrain shift might have been what did it in. But Idk how the game processes low flying probes that aren't active. So it might just be a code thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.