Mohole, Bug or Not?

Pigbear

Bug or Not?  

1. 1. Bug or Not?

• Bug
    • Not

Somehow I doubt that the Mohole is a bug due to its presence ever since .17 at least. But some people still claim its a bug. I just wanted to say that its probably not a bug due to not being fixed when its really an easy fix comparatively. Squad tweaks the heightmaps every version so if it were a bug wouldn't it be fixed? Just saying my opinion here, How about you now say your's? :)

Somehow I doubt that the Mohole is a bug due to its presence ever since .17 at least. But some people still claim its a bug. I just wanted to say that its probably not a bug due to not being fixed when its really an easy fix comparatively. Squad tweaks the heightmaps every version so if it were a bug wouldn't it be fixed? Just saying my opinion here, How about you now say your's? :)

Its a bug due to how worlds are generated. there's a munhole too. there is probably more aswell. I'm pretty sure the devs have confirmed its a bug, and the only reason it hasn't been fixed is because everyone likes it :)

In my opinion it is not a bug.

Removing moholes would be like removing SRB's.

They are part of KSP.

I think it originally was caused by a bug, but it adds something interesting, people like it, so it's now a feature. If Squad removed it, people would be pretty mad, and what's the point or removing it, so there can be a flat patch of ground, that would just take away something fun about the game, one less place of interest to visit

I think it originally was caused by a bug, but it adds something interesting, people like it, so it's now a feature. If Squad removed it, people would be pretty mad, and what's the point or removing it, so there can be a flat patch of ground, that would just take away something fun about the game, one less place of interest to visit

Yes, first one was probably an bug, then they keept it, note that many poles has features, Mun, Eve, Duna, Tylo even Jool the other has not, however the features are pretty similar on both poles while Moho south pole is flat.

What i would like to see is...

The terrein bugs removed. So no more Mohole.

But similar terrain features properly implemented. Meaning the addition of new, interesting and hand made holes, caves, canyons, gorges, ravines, pillars, etc.

In general planetary terrain is rather bland, I would love to see the proper implementation of interesting terrain features on all bodies.

For Moho, I think the dev's said was a bug with terrain generation, which is not an integral part of KSP. I don't have the exact source though, it was just circulating around these forums.

Unlike some games (i.e. RTS games), I don't think the terrain isn't generated by the game when KSP loads, so it isn't exactly a KSP bug. It could actually be that the polar regions of the Mün were intentionally made to be rough, though. I've recently landed some crewed missions in the polar in career mode, and there are very steep cliffs and mountains in those areas some distance from the poles. You can see the rough terrain from orbit, but determining the actual shape of the terrain usually involves powered flight with lights running. A lot of areas that far north or south are darkness, while the peaks are illuminated.

I voted bug, as I am confident that is their origins, but I also think the developers had a hand in it. I think the holes were generated by a bug, then I think the developers found it as they were first testing and developing the planet, liked it and named/renamed it to Moho. Why did they name it Moho? Read this article: MohoroviÄÂić discontinuity

Coincidence? I think not!

TL;DR I think Devs found the Moholes caused by the game, liked it,changed the name of the planet, and has nurtured it since.

Edited by minimuffin

Starsiege: Tribes had a major physics exploit in that players would slide when they landed on the ground. A player exploited that by jumping every time they touched the ground to preserve speed. It was completely untouched by the devs and was given "feature" status when players enjoyed it.

This may easily be the same type of case.

I find it kind of silly that 58% voted for not a bug...

Its obviously a bug. The way terrain generations work, the poles are always screwed up. It was found, people liked it, so they kept it.

Bug.

It may have initially been a bug

Then why vote no? It hasnt been edited in anyway since it was found, its still the bug it was whenever it was first made, I dont understand how people liking it makes it not a bug.

I voted bug, as I am confident that is their origins, but I also think the developers had a hand in it. I think the holes were generated by a bug, then I think the developers found it as they were first testing and developing the planet, liked it and named/renamed it to Moho. Why did they name it Moho? Read this article: MohoroviÄÂić discontinuity

Coincidence? I think not!

TL;DR I think Devs found the Moholes caused by the game, liked it,changed the name of the planet, and has nurtured it since.

Were the moholes on the original version of Moho in 0.17 or not? The terrain was completely re-done in 0.18, and the original super-heated atmosphere was removed.

I don't love it. I hate it. I want to plant flag at Moho's North pole.

It is a bug. It occurs because of the terrain rendering system and unity can't cope together. I'd love to say that its a feature, but honestly...bug, but kept in.

Many other planets have perfectly fine North/South poles. So it's not a systematic bug, it just occurred randomly and was left in.

What i would like to see is...

The terrein bugs removed. So no more Mohole.

But similar terrain features properly implemented. Meaning the addition of new, interesting and hand made holes, caves, canyons, gorges, ravines, pillars, etc.

In general planetary terrain is rather bland, I would love to see the proper implementation of interesting terrain features on all bodies.

I agree with you except for that first part. The Mohole is a part of KSP! :mad:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.