[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

First, I'm sorry I've fallen behind on updating for KIS: I've been busy working on the infrastructure for a new feature for EL: recipes. The result will be that nothing is hard-coded.

smjjames: please get me some detailed reproduction steps so I can test it (if you've given some already, just link the post).

Very interested to see responses to this. Currently getting back into KSP since pre-0.9 days.

EPL still supports Kethane, But it will also work with the stock system.

Note: it does not use the stock "ore" but rather adds its own resource MetalOre (to differentiate between the two). But yes, it doesn't no require kethane and will work with stock, if that is your desire.

Do I need Kethane still? Does this work with Regolith or the stock 'ore'? What about when it is used with UKS?

When used with UKS, you can still utilize EPL-parts and nothing is new. Producing rocketparts with UKS parts is a little different and requires a few more resources, (there is plenty of info on this in the MKS/OKS wiki, see the relevent thread)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Is there anyway anyone could add a compact lauchpad, Maybe with a max vessel weight and size, So that With KIS I could have a small vehicles with a team of kerbal and have them work on making small metal plates to patch up other vehicles ? I would love that ! I've though about rescaling the runway part, But it doesn't look enough cool, And I wonder if someone could make a nice looking design with a max ship weight and size so that it doesn't seem abused.

First, I'm sorry I've fallen behind on updating for KIS: I've been busy working on the infrastructure for a new feature for EL: recipes. The result will be that nothing is hard-coded.

smjjames: please get me some detailed reproduction steps so I can test it (if you've given some already, just link the post).

I missed your post earlier, sorry.

Reproduction is pretty simple.

1. Put a part with inventory into the editor window (any command pod with seat inventory works for this).

2. Put stuff into the inventory, doesn't matter what and doesn't have to be full.

3. Place a part onto the craft.

4. Then undo your action, the exception triggers on the undo.

Is the Workshop the only EL part that can create RocketParts? So a Survey-Station-based build area needs a constant resupply of RocketParts? Also, is it possible to get the parts that use the "EL Converter" module to show what they actually convert in the VAB right-click menu (like how the stock converters do)? That would be very helpful for me figuring this one out on my own. Thanks!

MidnightLightning: The Workbench (found in pods) is another part that creates RocketParts.

"EL Converter" not showing what is converted is a bug (of omission: I forgot to do it). Thanks for the reminder.

MidnightLightning: The Workbench (found in pods) is another part that creates RocketParts.

Oh, that's... an odd-looking part... What sort of configuration are you intending people to put that in? There's a literal workbench outside, but it's unmanned? Are you intending people to put an external command seat there for kerbals to work at that bench? And what is the intent of it being so tall; using the grated "landings" on the pole to hang storage containers from? Are the landings on the pole to make EVAs easier to move around the part?

Side note; what is the purpose of the Mallet with survey stakes? When placing the survey stakes with KIS, I can grab them out of the kerbal's inventory and let them drop to the ground (which they do land point-first, and "settle" a bit into the ground), but that's without a mallet equipped. With a mallet, and using the "X" action, it says the ground isn't a valid target to attach them to (unlike a ground pylon from KAS, which can be bolted to the ground, not just dropped there). I can use the mallet to attach the stake to another part, but then it's not a valid target to build something at (I tried bolting it to a ground pylon, and then building a ship there). Is something glitched there, or am I doing it wrong?

MidnightLightning: it is four external seats. As for configuration, I'll leave that to your imagination, but I will give you a few hints:

1. If you can put it in a .craft file (even a single part), EL can build it. This is, really, the only real difference between EL and OSE Workshop: EL works with .craft files, OSE works with parts.
  2. KIS might not be a hard dependency (unless using survey stakes), but using EL without KIS is like fishing without a net.
  3. The workbench is only 1.5t, so not too difficult to move, and supports surface attach, not just stack.
  4. The workbench's shape, particularly that pole, is surprisingly convenient when not trying to launch it on a rocket.
  5. My stations look like something out of Titan AE.

As for the mallet: that is a bug fixed in git and the fix will be in the next release (hopefully soon). If you go to the git repository and grab the part.cfg for both the mallet and the stake, things will work as intended: the mallet will even allow surface attachment to parts (for light parts, of course).

Edited by taniwha

All right, thanks; I think I'm wrapping my head around the general intended progression of building an EL base now:

Phase I: Get a station into orbit around the target planet with a Workshop, smelter, ISRU refinery, and an orbital launchpad. Build a mining ship capable of going to the surface, mining Ore and MetallicOre and bringing them back to the station. Station refines those into RocketParts and liquid fuel to replenish supplies.

Phase II: Build a survey station, capable of getting itself to the surface of the planet safely.

Phase III: Survey station builds a Workbench (so it can make its own RocketParts; getting resupplies of RocketParts from the orbital station until that's built) and places it directly on the surface of the planet (that "not trying to launch it on a rocket" comment you made?), with RocketPart storage attached to it.

Phase IV: Survey station builds a permanent mining rig for getting Ore and MetallicOre out of the ground, and Smelter/Refinery for creating Metal and liquid fuel. Now it's self-sufficient; able to make RocketParts on its own without resupply from orbital station, and can create items at survey stake locations.

Phase V: Upgrade ground station to be a Workshop for more efficient craft creation.

That look about what's intended for a "tech tree" for EL? So, where would the LaunchPad2 device fit into this plan; a replacement for Phase II's survey station? I'm not using Infernal Robotics, so using survey stakes is how I am placing "permanent" items (without wheels or engines). I suppose using a LaunchPad2 device, the mining rig of phase IV could just be made as a rover and rolled off the pad to clear room for the next devices. And then using KIS the wheels could be removed and recycled for the cleanest result.

While the details can vary greatly, that is the general flow I try to encourage. The central theme is bootstrapping.

I have never actually used launchpad2 beyond some testing on the launchpad at KSC. It came with EL when I took over from skykooler, but it is a popular part so it's still part of the mod, thus I went to the effort of fixing its colliders. It is, however, a suitable alternative to the survey system. And yes, it was, as I understand it, designed with rovers in mind.

The workbench is inherited too, and was rather unpopular so I was about to toss it when I decided to see if I could make it an external command seat (or four) and get EL's workshop module to recognize the kerbals. I have since grown rather fond of it. I have had some kerbals get dangerously low on EVAProp due to it, though.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've got the workshop, tons of rocket parts, yet when I put a stake down, it doesn't recognize it as a launchpad. Any suggestions?

You need the survey station to use with the stakes.