[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Just to confirm the issue, I also had the problem of "Required" EVA Propellant. It was on a station in Kerbin orbit. I had a crew change due, so I just shipped a couple of bottles of EVAP up with the new crew and bolted them to the hull. It let me release the build, but wasnt the best solution, so I modified a Universal Storage converter wedge to produce a small amount of EVAP from MP so that I always had some on the station. It seems now I wont need that. I'm about to try 5.2.94 but it sounds like this problem has been fixed. Thanks Taniwha.

1 hour ago, geekasylum said:

It seems now I wont need that. I'm about to try 5.2.94 but it sounds like this problem has been fixed. Thanks Taniwha.

Note that there's still a bug with 0 monopropellant being required (on my TODO list, though).

56 minutes ago, Mastikator said:

Where do I find the log file?

There should be a KSP.log file in your KSP directory.

Spoiler

Removed logs, irrelevant, problem was lack of module manager

I'm using the following mods:

KAS, KIS KER, Magic Smoke Industries, Final Frontier, Precise Node, Stage Recovery, Kerbal Alarm Clock

Edited by Mastikator

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Note that there's still a bug with 0 monopropellant being required (on my TODO list, though).

Noted. For now Im just happy that I can release things.

While I was installing 5.2.94 I wondered if your TODO List might be able to accommodate one more item. I noticed a "settings.cfg" file in the EL folder, and wondered if this might be incorporated into the settings that are already on the KSC screen (Alarm Clock settings) as that would save me (and presumably others) from having to edit the actual EL installation.  Its no biggie, just something low priority but nice to have :)

Hi taniwha and others,

it seems to me the migration to the new forum software was not without problems. I can't see the links (download, changelogs etc.) on the first page of this post anymore. Is that just my weird super-secure browser or is everybody affected?

Best regards

Morty

6 hours ago, Mastikator said:

I'm using the following mods:

KAS, KIS KER, Magic Smoke Industries, Final Frontier, Precise Node, Stage Recovery, Kerbal Alarm Clock

Ouch, that will be painful to go through (but I'll try). Next time, please put it somewhere like pastbin and give the link.

4 hours ago, geekasylum said:

Noted. For now Im just happy that I can release things.

While I was installing 5.2.94 I wondered if your TODO List might be able to accommodate one more item. I noticed a "settings.cfg" file in the EL folder, and wondered if this might be incorporated into the settings that are already on the KSC screen (Alarm Clock settings) as that would save me (and presumably others) from having to edit the actual EL installation.  Its no biggie, just something low priority but nice to have :)

Actually, that file ceased being used in 5.2.90 as it was superseded by recipes. I guess I had forgotten about it.

3 hours ago, Morty said:

Hi taniwha and others,

it seems to me the migration to the new forum software was not without problems. I can't see the links (download, changelogs etc.) on the first page of this post anymore. Is that just my weird super-secure browser or is everybody affected?

Best regards

Morty

They're broken :( It looks like I need to go through the thread to find them again.

Two quick questions...

1) After multiple searches of the thread I was unable to find any information on how the mining rate of the augers is calculated based on the abundance of MetalOre in a deposit.  I'm looking to setup a Mun base, and I don't know if it's worth moving several degrees north latitude for a 8.483% deposit or just stick with the 7.725% deposit on the equator.  Does percent abundance make that big of a difference?  Or any difference at all?

2) I notice that on Kerbin the abundance of MetalOre is the same for the entire biome, but on the Mun the abundance varies even within the same biome.  Is this working as intended?  Is Kerbin the only place where the abundance doesn't vary within the biome?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, ThirdHorseman said:

After multiple searches of the thread I was unable to find any information on how the mining rate of the augers is calculated based on the abundance of MetalOre in a deposit.  I'm looking to setup a Mun base, and I don't know if it's worth moving several degrees north latitude for a 8.483% deposit or just stick with the 7.725% deposit on the equator.  Does percent abundance make that big of a difference?  Or any difference at all?

I believe the percentage is multiplied by the extractor's rate, so using the large auger would give 4*7.725% = 0.309u/s, or about 8.5kg/s. Moving to the 8.4% location will about a 10% boost.

9 hours ago, ThirdHorseman said:

I notice that on Kerbin the abundance of MetalOre is the same for the entire biome, but on the Mun the abundance varies even within the same biome.  Is this working as intended?  Is Kerbin the only place where the abundance doesn't vary within the biome?

This is a stock ISRU issue (if it even is an issue). All EL does is tell the stock system that MetalOre should be made available.

On 2015-12-01 09:52:06, taniwha said:

Ouch, that will be painful to go through (but I'll try). Next time, please put it somewhere like pastbin and give the link.

I hope you didn't start yet, I figured out the problem, I thought I had module manager and it turns out I didn't. If you did start then sorry for wasting your time

2 hours ago, Mastikator said:

I hope you didn't start yet, I figured out the problem, I thought I had module manager and it turns out I didn't. If you did start then sorry for wasting your time

I had not had a chance to start. I'm glad you got it sorted out, and thank you for saying what the problem was.

On 12/2/2015, 10:41:53, taniwha said:

I believe the percentage is multiplied by the extractor's rate

Yes, after some testing this seems consistent.

Some more resource use questions, if you don't mind:

1) I assume the electric charge (EC) usage for all the parts is constant?  It looks like the large auger uses 24EC/s no matter where I drill, and I did see that in the CFG file.  Same goes for the tiny smelter which uses 1EC/s no matter how much metalore I have available.

2) It looks like the smelter conversion rate is also constant, correct?

I'm trying to design a fully autonomous mining base that can just run constantly, and it looks like an auger on a 7.5% abundance deposit will extract metalore at .3u/s which is the conversion rate of the tiny smelter, using .3u/s of ore and creating .15u/s of metal.  Now I just need to supply the whole thing with 25EC/s which isn't a huge issue during the day with some gigantors but is certainly a challenge at night!  Fun challenge though!

Yeah, extractors and converters will use EC at a constant rate until their destinations are full, then they'll halt (until there's room again).

As for having enough EC available, there's always daytime-only operation :), just stockpile  sufficient output during the day to last through the night.

Quick question on the recycle bin, it only converts the spacecraft into metal, and not any scrap right? I was wondering before I shoved the smelter into the recycle bin, in case I needed it to boost recycling rates. Also, is the large recycler any better than the small one? Higher extraction percentage of metal maybe? Or does it simply convert to metal faster?

The small recycle bin seems better in every way since it's fairly fast, even for huge modules.

Edited by sardia

Right now, they recycle to Metal, but when I get recipes themselves written, they will recycle to other things.

There is currently no difference between the two bins other than physical size. I did the small one first, it didn't aesthetically fit and I wanted a bigger "hopper", so I made the large one (it doubled as a truck bed).

I was reading the front page, but It was getting me confused... what is required for me to land on a planet, mine it, and build a rocket pad? It says Kethane is required for "Hot-spot" mining.. Does this mean that it's minable "everywhere" without Kethane installed, or not mineable at all? I'd like to have the lowest amount of mods installed that still has mining functionality.

Edit: NVM.. watched the video at the beginning. "Kethane required"

Edited by Talavar

Talavar: Kethane is not required (I believe the video is from before KSP 1.0 when Kethane was required). Your initial guess was correct: you can mine anywhere (slowly, but non-depleting) without kethane, but Kethane adds high-concentration hotspots that deplete.

Mitchz95: I find stock-alike to be too drab.

On the issue of stock vs. own design: I find the own design to be an important help in finding the EPL parts that are intermingled with the stock parts. If i could ask a wish I would request that the EPL design varies more from stock, for example by changing color of the the survey station in order to distinguish it more from the Hitchhiker can.

Morty: I need to do a new model for the survey station. That one truly is a place-holder :/.

A little bit of good news on that front though: the next release of EL will have its own part category tab (like KIS etc). The parts will still be in their usual places, but will be put in the new category as well automatically.

Edited by taniwha

Ooookay, now I got a strange EPL problem.

I use KSP 1.0.5 64 bits on Linux with EPL 5.2.94. I have a space station with a workshop and a "Large Recycling Bin" on top. I was recycling a "dumb" second stage rocket that i flew into the bin using what I call an "Orbital Suicide Tug" (just a few RCS trusters, a docking port, an OKTO module and some Monopropellant).

The rocket stage got recycled OK, but something went wrong with the tug (despite the metal not being full). The message said "transferring resources" for a long time but nothing happened. Now the OKTO and the small RCS tank are hovering 1-2 meters above the bin. They are "solid" (can't be pushed around by a craft) and seem to be part of the station (the station name shows up when i try to rename the OKTO).

I saved this state, exited the game, restarted and the obstruction was still there. I tried to fly another useless craft through it but it wouldn't budge and also the craft wouldn't get recycled. I was able to sneak the second craft around the obstruction into the bin (near the rim) and that worked great, but it still did not remove the remnants of the tug.

What do I do now? I don't have a big problem building a new workshop and recycling the old (my ships and stations are very modular) but I think taniwha might want to hear about this and maybe take a look at some files. Has anybody encountered this as well? It's not in the issue list on Github as far as i can see.

Regards

Morty

Okay, i fixed the problem by sending out an engineer and he manually disassembled the remains of the tug. I still wonder why it happened in the first place. I have successfully recycled all kinds of crafts before. Maybe it was just a "glitch" (like the Apollo 13 stage two center engine failure :cool: )

Regards

Morty

Yeah, that's a weird one. It sounds like the recycler somehow lost track of what parts it was meant to recycle.

It might be due to trying to recycle the root part and failing to get a recipe, but that only caused a lack of reclaimed resources for me (fixed for next release, btw). However, that was for single-part vessels (cleaning up old rescue contract vessels in LKO).