[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

5 hours ago, Vorg said:

Did you figure out what is up with the AVC file and EL not showing in the AVC mod list?

Actually, no, I did not.

Tiron did.

However, I have pushed the fix for that, too.

On 8/8/2016 at 11:50 PM, Vorg said:

Did you figure out what is up with the AVC file and EL not showing in the AVC mod list?

It was the dumbest thing.  Taniwha's script for making the .version files left the build field blank on release builds, and AVC's parsing apparently can't handle null fields.  AVC actually *does* pick up the version file, and adds it to the count of mods installed, but can't parse the 'version' construct because of the null field, and thus it doesn't show up in the list.

the file in question is:  ..\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads\Plugins\EL.version

The problem is in line 5:

"VERSION":{"MAJOR":5,"MINOR":4,"PATCH":0,"BUILD":},

You can fix it in about 5 seconds on an existing install of 5.4 by opening the file with notepad++ and changing it to either

"VERSION":{"MAJOR":5,"MINOR":4,"PATCH":0},

or

"VERSION":{"MAJOR":5,"MINOR":4,"PATCH":0,"BUILD":0},

Taniwha's modified his script so from the next version onward it'll automatically do the latter, and should work.

Edited by Tiron

Hi there!

I've having a problem with survey stakes lately. Everytime I try to finalize a build, the ship spawns halfway through the ground. I found some posts here where you say that if you are using just one stake everything should work fine, but that is not what is happening. Any tip you might have to help me solve the problem?

Thanks!

EDIT

I did some tests and only the landing gear of the ships spawn inside the ground, causing the ships to either explode or be thrown in the air. Any idea what might be happening? This doesn't seem to happen with parts other than the landing gear

Edited by Disgaron
New information available

I am having a strange problem using EPL and the TriggerTech KerbalAlarmClock and USI mods. Or at least I think that's what it is. I can't post a screenshot because you can't SEE the problem. I'm pretty sure it is in EPL and its interaction with the alarm clock. 

Reproduce:

1. Right-click a USI Orbital Shipyard whilst in orbit.
  2. Open the EPL UI         <-- why I think it's an EPL bug.
  3. Select a ship and start building. Do NOT fast-forward to the end, leave it running. 
  4. Put a Kerbal on EVA.
  5. Move the mouse between the center of the screen and the edges. A small invisible window in the center of the screen will disable the RCS when the mouse is over it. It also disabled drag for KIS/KAS, and most of the buttons on a right-click context menu. In fact, the right-click context menu tends to disappear when the mouse passes over the invisible window. 

I have noticed that if I switch from the Mission Control screen to orbit, a KerbalAlarmClock window for the EPL build will flash briefly (200-300ms) in the dead zone. (The window that flashes is the exact same window that actually presents when the build is done.) I am assuming this is because of how EPL is updating the alarm clock when the number of Kerbals in a station changes or something changes the ETA. (IE: I start a build with no Kerbals, add a few, ETA changes, alarm changes to match, handy! BUT... This bug makes it REALLY hard to RCS with a Kerbal, click right-click menu buttons, etc. if they're in the center of the screen. But only when an EPL build is running.)

As soon as the alarm goes off and is closed, the problem goes away until the next build. I suspect most players fast-forward to end of every build right away and don't even notice this. I'm kinda RPG when I play so I tend to EVA and attach/etc. the last thing I built while the next build is running. I'm weird. I know. 

My only guess is that the synchronization logic between EPL and the Alarm Clock has a hidden window to keep the ETA accurate but something's not right with it, and it's interfering with the UI even if you can't see it.

10 hours ago, Disgaron said:

I did some tests and only the landing gear of the ships spawn inside the ground, causing the ships to either explode or be thrown in the air. Any idea what might be happening? This doesn't seem to happen with parts other than the landing gear

You have two options: use a -Y bounds stake planted a little above your origin stake to ensure the vessel spawns high enough for the landing gear to clear the ground, or try retracting the landing gear in the VAB/SPH before building. If you dig backwards though the thread, you will find a nice writeup I did on advanced stake usage. There's also a section in the pdf.

2 hours ago, McHendrik said:

Move the mouse between the center of the screen and the edges. A small invisible window in the center of the screen will disable the RCS when the mouse is over it. It also disabled drag for KIS/KAS, and most of the buttons on a right-click context menu. In fact, the right-click context menu tends to disappear when the mouse passes over the invisible window. 

Known problem with KAC (though it may well be something in EL's interaction with it). You will need to disable KAC's click-through protection. Once I did this, I had no such trouble.

I've been having some issues? There is no icon for EL when I play. Not on the normal toolbar or in blizzy's toolbar anywhere. Whenever I right-click on a launchpad nothing happens at all, and right-clicking on the workshop only has a crew transfer button, and a meter for how many rocketparts are stored inside. I've looked everywhere for a solution.

13 hours ago, taniwha said:

You have two options: use a -Y bounds stake planted a little above your origin stake to ensure the vessel spawns high enough for the landing gear to clear the ground, or try retracting the landing gear in the VAB/SPH before building. If you dig backwards though the thread, you will find a nice writeup I did on advanced stake usage. There's also a section in the pdf.

Yeah, I've been trying to follow the guides I found on the thread, but I'm with no luck. Tryed using a -Y bounds stake but the same thing happens, the ship fly away just after spawning. I could not figure how I would place a stake above another since they must be on the ground. I never had these problems with the mod, they begun a few days ago when I came back to ksp. I wonder if there is something wrong with my installation, since it's a problem not many people have. I'll keep trying to figure how to make things work anyway. Is there anyway I can modify the config file to try to solve this? I'm clueless in mod stuff, if there is something I can tweak, I'd love to know how.

EDIT

Hey, I just found out that some people are reporting bugs involving landing legs. Seems to be a problem with KSP and not EPL. I hope it gets resolved soon. Thanks for the help anyway

Edited by Disgaron
Because

21 hours ago, taniwha said:

Known problem with KAC (though it may well be something in EL's interaction with it). You will need to disable KAC's click-through protection. Once I did this, I had no such trouble.

I'm impressed. Disabled "click-through" for flight mode, problem solved. I have no idea what "click-through" even means but... I'm not complaining. Service = 10/10, will download for free again. 

3 hours ago, McHendrik said:

I have no idea what "click-through" even means....

If you have one screen element overlaying another, both with clickable widgits (example 2 windows both with buttons), then if the upper one has click-through protection (which is what is expected) when you click on the upper element, only its widgits get the click.  If the lower screen element's widgits get the click event as well, even when covered by the upper screen element, and react to it, it's likely to be unintended and lead to problems.  All the overlain screen elements should have click-through protection that doesn't cause other problems.  Unfortunately, as we found out here, that doesn't always happen.

I love EPL. First of all, thank you for creating and maintaining this mod.

Secondly, I got a little problem: I changed the EPL settings.cfg so the recycler recycles into RocketParts, but in all 3 attempts the recycled craft produced no RocketParts on the station, even though it had plenty of storage for RocketParts. What am I doing wrong?

oh, gee, I haven't updated settings.cfg: it no longer controls recycling. Instead, you need to look into editing the recycle recipe for RocketParts. You'll find it in GameData/ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Resources/Recipes.cfg

EL_RecycleRecipe {
    name = RocketParts
    Resources {
        Metal = 8
        loss = 2
    }
}

I think you can replace the Metal with RocketParts.

I would just like to say that after spending hours and hours trying to get this mod to work across several versions of ksp. After watching hours of youtube video where EVERYBODY ELSE seems to be able to get it right that i have had about enough of this Mod. Nothing ever works. I have not, despite reading and following all the documentation and tutorials that i could find, ever been able to successfully build a single sodding ship. Not even a tiny satellite.

Either i have horribly misunderstood the way this mod works or there is some fundamental secrete the universe is keeping from me!

3 hours ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

I would just like to say that after spending hours and hours trying to get this mod to work across several versions of ksp. After watching hours of youtube video where EVERYBODY ELSE seems to be able to get it right that i have had about enough of this Mod. Nothing ever works. I have not, despite reading and following all the documentation and tutorials that i could find, ever been able to successfully build a single sodding ship. Not even a tiny satellite.

Either i have horribly misunderstood the way this mod works or there is some fundamental secrete the universe is keeping from me!

Well if you came hoping for some help you probably would do well to include at least a shred of useful information.  Like mod version KSP version. Screenshots. Gamedata folder picture, logfiles, descriptions of what issues you are seeing specifically.  That sort of thing.

If you just came by to make your first post a drive by complaint then carry on.

Edited by goldenpsp

8 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Well if you came hoping for some help you probably would do well to include at least a shred of useful information.  Like mod version KSP version. Screenshots. Gamedata folder picture, logfiles, descriptions of what issues you are seeing specifically.  That sort of thing.

If you just came by to make your first post a drive by complaint then carry on.

Now that you know how frustrated I am there will be no further misinterpretation.

Thank you for your reply.

I will certainly respond with the relevant details once i am back at home. Suffice it to say that I am on the latest current version of KSP as well as the latest current version of EL, I use CKAN to keep my mods up to date. I have all the list prerequisite mods installed that are needed to work EL. If there is anything else that would like to now please list it in an orderly fashion.

Description of issues:

It

Does

Not

Work

i.e I construct an elaborate off planet/orbital launch site with all the required equipment  and material. Select a ship, and with great fanfare and and drama nothing happens. 

I would sincerely like to know what, on earth/kerbal/vulcan?, I am doing wrong.

So, if you can look passed my initial need to establish the fact that I am frustrated and you have the answer to Life; the Universe and how to make EL work, then please proceed!

12 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Screenshots and logs, or at least a very clear description of the problem, or I can't help you.

Fix your attitude, or you can forget about ever getting any help from me.

Which Logs would you like? What would you like to see in my screen shots? I will happily provide any information that you require.

I have a station/base, it has Metal; it has Power; it has Fuels; it has Kerbals; it has a workshop and it has a launchpad.

I try to make and launch a simple item: simple satellite that does not even have thrusters. It never builds. it stays at zero % (0%) 

The longest i waited was about a year (in fast forward time)

I have watched the youtube vids and i have read tutorials; uninstalled and re-installed. 

I don't know....

So, please tell me what logs do i need to send you? What do you want to see in my screen shots. Clearly I must be doing something wrong here.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

So, please tell me what logs do i [sic] need to send you? What do you want to see in my screen shots. Clearly I must be doing something wrong here.

Read this, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Also, since most of us are using EPL just fine and you seem to be the only one who says it doesn't work, it sure seems likely that you ARE the one doing something wrong. That's okay. People make mistakes. It happens. We can help you fix that. Acting like an entitled toddler throwing a tantrum is NOT the way to get support.

So again, I would strongly advise you check your attitude before making another post.

7 minutes ago, Merkov said:

Read this, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Also, since most of us are using EPL just fine and you seem to be the only one who says it doesn't work, it sure seems likely that you ARE the one doing something wrong. That's okay. People make mistakes. It happens. We can help you fix that. Acting like an entitled toddler throwing a tantrum is NOT the way to get support.

So again, I would strongly advise you check your attitude before making another post.

1. Thank you for the link, i will upload the logs. 

2. Go and read my original post again. This goes for all the respondents so far: Really read it this time. No where (no really, go check), no where do i say that the MOD is broken. It can't be, it works for everyone else. I am painfully aware that i am doing something wrong. I was frustrated after once again spending three hours of what should be relaxation after a long days work, failing to build a simple launch site on the moon.

So could you all kindly get off the attitude train?

I am an expressive person, how this translates into being an "entitled toddler throwing a tantrum" is unclear to me. Apparently no one here has ever been frustrated.

If you want me to throw a tantrum i can most certainly oblige you till the air turns blue and your ears fall off.

So, can we now put this to bed and move on to the part were i can't build anything despite following all the procedures that i am aware of?

1 hour ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

It never builds. it stays at zero % (0%) 

I bet you have zero (or negative) productivity.  When you right-click on the workshop, it should tell you "Productivity: 37" or something like that.  If it's zero, nothing will ever happen.

For high productivity, make sure your ship only has smart Engineers, and no stupid Kerbals on board.  There's more info on the first post.

Whether this is the actual issue Mr. Appleseed is having, users confused by zero productivity seems to be a recurring issue.  I wonder if it can be ameliorated through GUI design.  I wrote up https://github.com/taniwha/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/issues/120 to address that.  The two ideas I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. If you press "Build" and productivity is zero, pop up an error instead of progressing to the build window
2.The Build window could show a warning when productivity is zero (perhaps instead of the progress)

7 minutes ago, hab136 said:

I bet you have zero (or negative) productivity.  When you right-click on the workshop, it should tell you "Productivity: 37" or something like that.  If it's zero, nothing will ever happen.

For high productivity, make sure your ship only has smart Engineers, and no stupid Kerbals on board.  There's more info on the first post.

Whether this is the actual issue Mr. Appleseed is having, users confused by zero productivity seems to be a recurring issue.  I wonder if it can be ameliorated through GUI design.  I wrote up https://github.com/taniwha/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/issues/120 to address that.  The two ideas I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. If you press "Build" and productivity is zero, pop up an error instead of progressing to the build window
2.The Build window could show a warning when productivity is zero (perhaps instead of the progress)

Thank you, I will check that when i get home and revert back. Your suggestions in the link would certainly help. I am unsure how to endorse it on that page, but if i did know how i would.

4 hours ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

I have a station/base, it has Metal; it has Power; it has Fuels; it has Kerbals; it has a workshop and it has a launchpad.

Just as something that's jumped out at me from that line: EL provides the ability to store and convert to/from Metal, but you build with RocketParts.  (Well, unless you're running USI - but that's a whole other issue.)  Now, you could be summarizing, but if you aren't, that could be your issue as well.