[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Just a guess, will it accept sea launching platform?

In previous version when trying to launch a rocket from sea launching platform the rocket will be spawned on the pad but once physics simulation starts for that rocket it directly shifted to the sea-bed level and then get destroyed by enormous buoyancy force immediately.

Is it possible now in 3.4?

NotCoach: I rather like that, and had thought of something like that back in 0.21 or even 0.20 days, then forgot about it (too busy getting the thing to just work in the first place, I guess). Would work well with adding time as a resource, too.

HoneyFox: what version did you try? It might work in 3.4 ("splashed" is certainly supported for enabling the build menu). (supported situations are: landed, prelaunch, orbiting, splashed).

NotCoach: I rather like that, and had thought of something like that back in 0.21 or even 0.20 days, then forgot about it (too busy getting the thing to just work in the first place, I guess). Would work well with adding time as a resource, too.

HoneyFox: what version did you try? It might work in 3.4 ("splashed" is certainly supported for enabling the build menu). (supported situations are: landed, prelaunch, orbiting, splashed).

Perhaps 3.1 or 3.2? I don't remember that...

So, not sure what's happening, but my KSP freezes while trying to load the original Launchpad. I deleted it, but now it freezes on the second one. I checked RAM usage, only at a gig or so.

The really weird thing is that the game has booted with EL before, and I haven't changed anything between the time it worked and the time it didn't. I have ships running this mod, and my new mun base depends on it, so I really cant play until I get this fixed. Ideas?

Taniwha, I have a module manager attach for rearranging the tech tree inculsion of EP parts.I can shoot it to you if you want. If there is anything else I can do to help (suck at graphics and modeling so be warned) let me know and I will jump on board.

Alacrity

Mechfan: all I can suggest is to check the log files for anything suspicious. However, I've found that the name you see is actually a successful load (I don't know how true this actually is, though).

One thing you can do is back up your save and really get ruthless in trimming out parts and mods. I suggest starting with the Magnetometer for parts (it comes after "launchpad" alphabetically) or metalbin (alpha-sort), and whatever comes after EL for mods.

If it is a problem in EL, I want to know :)

alacrity: I'd very much like to take a look at it. If it's alright with you, I might even incorporate it properly until I get my improvements in (new resources and processes, and of course parts for the processes).

Forgive me, I don't have time to read thru all 150-some pages of the old closed threat. For clueless folks like me who wander along into this one, could someone please post a quick & dirty version of how to get the smelting setup to work?? It took me 10 minutes just to figure out the smelter has to be attached to ore/metal cans. And just sticking a auger to that mess doesn't seem to do anything at all?

Forgive me, I don't have time to read thru all 150-some pages of the old closed threat. For clueless folks like me who wander along into this one, could someone please post a quick & dirty version of how to get the smelting setup to work?? It took me 10 minutes just to figure out the smelter has to be attached to ore/metal cans. And just sticking a auger to that mess doesn't seem to do anything at all?

I was going to make a tutorial, but the SINGLE ship I made on the launchpad exploded and took the launchpad with it.

Essentially you need to scan for ore deposits, then do all of this in an ore deposit:

Land an auger to drill, make sure it's connected to an ore bin. Turn the auger on. It won't animate or anything but the ore bin should start filling up. Note: You need power so bring lots of solar panels or something.

Land a smelter to smelt, and make sure it's connected to the above contraption you previously landed AND a metal bin. Turn it on, and the metal bin should start filling up. You need more power, so bring more stuff that makes power. Also, you need a way to fit stuff together. Good luck to you if you try docking ports, I went with Kerbal Attachment System.

Land a workshop to make parts, with its requisite bin. Attach it to the Frankenstein's Monster you already have up there. Guess what? It needs power so bring even more solar panels.

Land a launch pad. Glory be, it doesn't require a CONSTANT influx of power but bring some more solar panels anyway because you probably need them for all that stuff above. Also, you have to connect it to all the stuff you made above.

Now you can build a ship.

Unless it explodes on the launch pad, taking the pad with it.

[great summary snipped]

Unless it explodes on the launch pad, taking the pad with it.

Um... what version of EL, and where is your pad? I thought I had that bug squished.

[edit]I'd like to add that I do not fly out my smelter or auger, but rather build them on-site. For my last base, I carried out about 8t of metal (giving about 7t of parts) and an empty large hexcan for parts. This was sufficient to build enough parts storage to build the auger/smelter unit (using the smaller parts).

Edited by taniwha

Um... what version of EL, and where is your pad? I thought I had that bug squished.

3.4. I have the game save from right after it crashed. It won't load but hey :) If you want it I can upload it somewhere.

I set Kerbin to have ore at the launch pad, then built the stuff one by one and flew it of to the side of the launch pad so it was on the perfectly flat KSC ground and I could test the logistics of the entire setup. I got it all running and created a ship. It may have been a rover, now that I think about it, if that matters.

[edit]I'd like to add that I do not fly out my smelter or auger, but rather build them on-site. For my last base, I carried out about 8t of metal (giving about 7t of parts) and an empty large hexcan for parts. This was sufficient to build enough parts storage to build the auger/smelter unit (using the smaller parts).

I considered that, but are hexcans full of stuff any easier to wrangle around than a smelter?

I duped the kethane drill and converter unit to make more pretty and less unwieldy parts. You may consider this cheating, but if your all for aesthetics then it's a nice idea.

If you want to know how i did it without looking through the old thread then I'l repost it here

OK, trying to follow here... and what am I missing if I bring up the build menu, it tells me I must select a ship, but clicking on the select ship button does nothing?

I have had that glitch before.

I would check if your running the latest version of kethane, and failing that re-install Extra-planetary.

One of those worked for me, but it was a while ago and I can't remember which one fixed it.

Running latest kethane, and one way or the other I've installed EL for the last time. All I can get from the build menu is a blank window from the SPH button, and all it has is another button that wants me to select a flag?

.... And breaks the load button in the actual SPH <facepalm>

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

CatastrophicFailure: First, I've never experienced EL breaking the load button in the SPH. In theory it shouldn't be able to. I guess check the log files for exceptions.

Nothing happening when you click on the ship selection button means the directory could not be found. I've never experienced the list being empty, though. Might you have selected Subassembly and not have any? Again, check your log files (especially Player.log as it will give the locations of the exceptions).

impwarhamer: I don't consider it cheating to use parts from other mods. I like the Hooligan Labs pad (spacious, flat and relatively easy to land). I used a modified hab module from HOME2 as my workshop, and I hacked the stock dish antenna (0.21) to act as an ore scanner. However, I do plan on making better models :) (once I get animations in my blender .mu converter).

Mechfan: Ah, thanks for reminding me. I need to nuke that config code (I despise XML).

taniwha: I redownloaded the mod right after I posted that message. KSP loaded fine, but it broke my save. says it "isn't compatible with this version of KSP" but I made a new save and the parts all work fine. it basically broke any save that had your parts (which, luckily, only my main sandbox one did.)

I'm loving the new orbital construction! :D

I also use a few re-purposed parts for aesthetic reasons. My latest creation is a Poodle engine that "burns" ore (and a small amount of LiquidFuel and Oxidizer), and creates metal, along with heat and 1 Kn of thrust.

Can you tell me how you did that with the poodle engine? It sounds really cool!

taniwha: It's actually happened once before, albeit on my laptop. when I hit "resume saved" a message pops up, informing me that one of my saves isn't compatible, and gives three options: attempt upgrade, delete incompatible saves, or do nothing. the upgrade button does nothing, but just ignoring it, the save is greyed out, with a message "not compatible with this version of KSP."

The only other time ive seen this was a thing with B9 on my laptop. its odd.