[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Kroopz: prog: It is neither an exception in EL (nothing relevant in the log, not even "EL ELC" and there should be) nor an issue with KIS (I just tested).

So it's a compatibility issue regardig other mods then? I'll try removing more mods, maybe something will turn up.

-edit-

Here is my modlist meanwhile (just in case something catches your eye):

- Science Checklist

- Action Groups Extended

- Civilian Population (checked)

- Community Resource Pack

- Community Tech Tree

- Crowd Sourced Science

- Extraplanetary Launchpads

- Firespitter

- Karbonite

- Kerbal Addon Version Checker

- Kerbal Alarm Clock

- Kerbal Engineer Redux

- Kerbal Foundries Wheels & Repulsors (checked)

- Kerbal Inventory (tried prog's suggestion; checked)

- Kerbal Stats

- Lights Out

- Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (checked)

- MechJeb 2 (checked)

- Module Manager

- Raster Prop Monitor (+ Core)

- SCANsat

- Stage Recovery (checked first hand, didn't affect EL)

- TAC Fuel Balancer

- Toolbar

- Tweakscale (checked as well)

- Umbra Space Industries Tools

-edit #2-

taniwha, are you positive that the clamps replacement you applied didn't break them, and that it works properly? As I mentioned, there is a clamp release sound and visual fx as the first stage is activated, they just remain clipped to the craft with no icon to indicate their presence on the staging sequence list beforehand.

I am, however, going to try installing EL on a clean KSP later, and report the results, as I suspect I might have some old cfgs in there currently, that could be causing this bug...

Edited by Kroopz

While i was testing out various mods and reviewed them on youtube for colonization, isru and off-world manufacturing, i've gotten this idea : is it possible to write a bridge-plugin or rework Extraplanetary Launchpads to have different ... "production targets", for the lack of a better expression.

What i was initialy considering that EL does not always HAVE to be used in production of entire vessels. What about series of smaller parts, single parts even ? This further got me thinking that KAS (to be replaced with KIS if not already) also features inventory system that can be used as an OUTPUT of EL.

You see where i'm going with this ? If EL could be reworked so player can attach KAS/KIS AS/B containers to EL platform (or to be more precise an assembly module) it could churn out whatever parts are needed. From my non-developer standpoint this much may be possible without too much (re)coding. However, this method of manufacture (mass repetition or chain of different singular parts) has to have an build menu window that will enable player to order multiple items that can be then manufactured either in strict order or by skipping down the order list until available resources match the ordered item.

Opinions ?

Edited by fatcargo
butter fingers

fatcargo: OSE workshop does what you're describing.

The Destroyer: I haven't had a chance to test properly.

Kroopz: I'm never absolutely certain about anything :). However, I can't reproduce it here, so you'll have to do the sleuthing.

Thanks guys for replying ! I was kind of hoping such a thing existed.

I've just skimmed over the intro pics and text and it's nearly dead-on with what i envisioned, sans few odds and bugs but it's there :)

Duhh i forgot to ask ... one more thing : i know its not directly needed for EL, but if it really is possible to plan a EL plugin rework to support retargetable production outputs ?

For example Hangars plugin (or any others in future ) may benefit from retargetable outputs. It keeps whole vesseles inside (loaded in scene only upon launch) and (hopefully) obeys some reasonable rules about weight and volume.

For (in future) example if players combine Hangars, KIS/KAS and EL in same vessel, they could choose multiple output targets and have parts and vehicles done in all of them.

Also another idea is to have Hangars extended to Repair Shops that can take in a damaged vessel and use existing VAB/SPH blueprints to replace missing parts. Yes, i know of KAS/KIS kebonaut EVA part placement but that may be too imprecise - imagine trying to fit a new rocket engine and you offset it's thrust from vessel's main symmetry axis. It will surely make any vessel into a (very short) roller-coaster ride :) I don't know if there are limits to how much mass a single kerbaonaut can carry, but if there is, a Repair Shop would make even those tasks possible; limited to blueprints ofcourse - making a whole new VAB/SPH IVA would be an overkill. :)

Edited by fatcargo

Kroopz here again, reporting the results of clean KSP install (regarding the recently discovered "clamps" bug):

So, after EL was installed on a clean copy of KSP, the clamp bug disappeared, and for a moment I had thought the problem was in EL not having updated properly (what a relief would that have been!).

I then proceeded to add the mods I listed in my previous post, one by one (in order of requirement). Once I installed Civilian Population, the bug reappeared. That was rather odd, I thought, since I had previously checked whether it was CP that was causing the bug in the first place, and came to the conclusion that it, in fact, was not. I decided to remove EL to see if that would change anything.

Surprisingly enough, the bug once again disappeared (CP installed, EL removed). I did a few more tests, and came to the realization that the two mods interfere with each other (which I find ironic, given that the two mods supplement each other).

This leads me to turn, once again, to you, taniwha, in a desperate cry for help. Is there anything at all, that you can do about this? (the mods seem to share 2 files: KSPAPIExtensions.dll and Launchpad.dll, if that helps in any way).

P.S. I will post the bug on CP thread, but I doubt the author will do anything about it soon enough, as he stated he was taking a break.

Edited by Kroopz
words, p.s.

Kroopz here again, reporting the results of clean KSP install (regarding the recently discovered "clamps" bug):

So, after EL was installed on a clean copy of KSP, the clamp bug disappeared, and for a moment I had thought the problem was in EL not having updated properly (what a relief would that have been!).

I then proceeded to add the mods I listed in my previous post, one by one (in order of requirement). Once I installed Civilian Population, the bug reappeared. That was rather odd, I thought, since I had previously checked whether it was CP that was causing the bug in the first place, and came to the conclusion that it, in fact, was not. I decided to remove EL to see if that would change anything.

Surprisingly enough, the bug once again disappeared (CP installed, EL removed). I did a few more tests, and came to the realization that the two mods interfere with each other (which I find ironic, given that the two mods supplement each other).

This leads me to turn, once again, to you, taniwha, in a desperate cry for help. Is there anything at all, that you can do about this? (the mods seem to share 2 files: KSPAPIExtensions.dll and Launchpad.dll, if that helps in any way).

P.S. I will post the bug on CP thread, but I doubt the author will do anything about it soon enough, as he stated he was going on a break.

That could be down to a version conflict in KSPIExtensions then. Some poeple have said it is not supposed to work but it has worked for others, replace them with the current version.

Are you saying that both mods have a launchpad.dll? That is something that could cause problems for module manager.

That could be down to a version conflict in KSPIExtensions then. Some poeple have said it is not supposed to work but it has worked for others, replace them with the current version.

Are you saying that both mods have a launchpad.dll? That is something that could cause problems for module manager.

Yup. Narrowed it down to Launchpad.dll. Deleting it from CP repository fixed the clamps... I wonder what was it there for in the first place? There is a part that seems to rely on EL, called "Construction Drone", which supposedly interacts with the mod... hmm, I'll check if its behavior is affected

Edited by Kroopz
words

P.S. I will post the bug on CP thread, but I doubt the author will do anything about it soon enough, as he stated he was taking a break.

KSPAPIExtensions is ok to have mulitple copies of(it checks when KSP starts to use the latest version of all version in the gamedata directory). but Launchpad is a EPL file, Id definitely say that is where your issue is coming from, and its an issue that the Civilian population dev would have to address.

EDIT: Did you try just deleteing the launchpad.dll from the CP directory? If its utilizing the launchpad.dll it should work just fine with EPL's version.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

KSPAPIExtensions is ok to have mulitple copies of(it checks when KSP starts to use the latest version of all version in the gamedata directory). but Launchpad is a EPL file, Id definitely say that is where your issue is coming from, and its an issue that the Civilian population dev would have to address.

EDIT: Did you try just deleteing the launchpad.dll from the CP directory? If its utilizing the launchpad.dll it should work just fine with EPL's version.

As I mentioned back here, deleting the file does, indeed, fix the clamps, although I fear that might break an EL-specific part in CP (called "Construction Drone").

It is possible that CP author left the file in the mod folder mistakenly, but I've yet to check on that.

Edited by Kroopz
link

As I mentioned back here, deleting the file does, indeed, fix the clamps, although I fear that might break an EL-specific part in CP (called "Construction Drone").

It is possible that CP author left the file in the mod folder mistakenly, but I've yet to check on that.

It shouldnt break the drone, once the Launchpad.dll is loaded into memory (from EPL's folder) the Drone should be able to address the needed modules. (The same way other parts can address firespitter modules with only one copy of firespitter, for example)

It shouldnt break the drone, once the Launchpad.dll is loaded into memory (from EPL's folder) the Drone should be able to address the needed modules. (The same way other parts can address firespitter modules with only one copy of firespitter, for example)

Yeah, that's the logic I'm inclined towards as well (there were a number of "loose" files in the previous release).

I haven't yet tested the drone in flight, however it does not seem to respond to right click or action groups in VAB... Regardless, I consider the problem solved. Thank you all for your help.

This might have been discussed but I suck at searching forums so apologies in advance.

Does EL put MetalOre resource in the asteroids? I don't seem to be able to find it there, while other resources such as Ketane are present.

And will Auger work for asteroid mining or is it planets-only?

I haven't looked into asteroids yet, so for now MetalOre and augers are available/usable only on planets.

I've got some ideas. Watch for a pull request.

Update: Oddly enough, the stock drill's asteroid-mining module doesn't actually mention Ore. I'm trying to figure out whether that means it mines all resources that the asteroid has, or only resources that it has a surface-extraction module for. Along the way I realized that I haven't actually flown that many asteroid missions and it takes me forever to test any changes.

Can anyone try https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bfrobin446/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/asteroid-mining/GameData/ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Resources/Asteroid_MetalOre.cfg and see if that's enough for the stock drill to mine MetalOre? It's all done in ModuleManager patches, so it can go anywhere under GameData for testing.

Edited by undercoveryankee

Did this mod used to have two sorts of smelters? Or did it always just have the one (with varying sizes of course)? I remember there being two sorts of smelters but one of them is gone now, though it could have been from a different mod.