[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

17 hours ago, escu said:

I have noticed in the log file that when I open the UI, this message is thrown:

[EXC 23:39:28.098] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.DropDownList.DrawBlockingSelector ()
	ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.SelectPad_start ()
	ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

I just got the same NRE when using stakes, have been working on how they work - finally got it, and now NRE.... Funny thing is, that I still managed to get my vessel build on the stake.

Log file

Output log file

So far I've almost exclusively used the orbital dock for building using EPL. Right now I have a launchpad on a moon, but every time I spawn my craft on it, the entire thing is thrown into the air. So I'm wondering, is there some trick to using it? Are different launch clamps not allowed?

I'm pretty sure I'm just doing something wrong here! :(

I was having a devil of a time getting my new planetary base to build on Duna until I finally gave up and used the Place Vessel feature in Vessel Mover. The ground I'm building on is about as flat as any I can find on Duna being at the bottom of a fairly large crater. I've built other structures in the vicinity, but this one is bigger. I've tried specifying a a +X Bounds, +Z Bounds, -Y Direction stake, where the -Y is at the highest elevation of any of the stakes. The best I've gotten is for the EL constructed base to wind up with one edge on the surface, and the rest tilted up at some odd angle just floating there.

I'm sure that with enough fiddling with the stakes it may be possible to get the vessel built, but the thing is even on a fairly flat expanse such as I'm using it's just being a royal pain, whereas I was able to use Vessel Mover to spawn a copy of the base and place it perfectly the first time.

So, I'm curious if maybe we could have the whole vessel placement process adapted to work like it does in Vessel Mover? We could still use survey stakes to set the origin, but I must say I really like how easy it is to orient and place even very large structures using that tool. Maybe that's already been looked at and is incompatible for some reason, IDK, but if not it may be worth taking a look at!

8 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

So far I've almost exclusively used the orbital dock for building using EPL. Right now I have a launchpad on a moon, but every time I spawn my craft on it, the entire thing is thrown into the air. So I'm wondering, is there some trick to using it? Are different launch clamps not allowed?

I'm pretty sure I'm just doing something wrong here! :(

Orbital docks are for orbital station building. Planetside building uses the survey station and stakes.

2 hours ago, sardia said:

Orbital docks are for orbital station building. Planetside building uses the survey station and stakes.

Yes, I get that. This is why I use the launchpad (2) on the moon. But it keeps throwing it into the air when it spawns....

It is a nice idea being able to build on the place you extract your resources.....

My base is back in working order. I just landed the EL Survey Station and right after that the base started seeing the stakes again.

Of course in the UI I have two pads appearing, and the stakes are associated with the original pad (called Minmus One in the screenshots).

@Warezcrawler from the sound of it, something on your vessel is clipping the launchpad. If it has landing legs, retract them (after finalizing or in the VAB) before you release. If this is no the case then check to see what, if anything, is lower than the anchor point to the pad and try to redesign your way around it.

@sardia There is the blue orbital pad (which you can use to build stuff on the surface with) and the folding launch pad (complete with built in rocket engines).

59 minutes ago, escu said:

My base is back in working order. I just landed the EL Survey Station and right after that the base started seeing the stakes again.

Of course in the UI I have two pads appearing, and the stakes are associated with the original pad (called Minmus One in the screenshots).

You most likely already know this, but... If you're using KIS/KAS, you can have an engineer attach your ship with the survey station to your base using a pipe (CC-R2 Connector Port). If you connect them like that, then the EL UI will see both pads and stakes. I recommend renaming your survey station (right click that part and click rename) so that it's clear which "pad" it is, otherwise you've got pad 0, pad 1, etc. Then in the UI you can pick the survey station and the set of stakes you want.

I've had some luck using the Orbital Dock on to build things on planetary surfaces, but it helps to also have Vessel Mover so I can grab what I built and relocate to a safe place before it falls over or something. The orbital dock is also a part I recommend renaming so that it doesn't get confusing in the EL UI.

3 hours ago, schlosrat said:

You most likely already know this, but... If you're using KIS/KAS, you can have an engineer attach your ship with the survey station to your base using a pipe (CC-R2 Connector Port). If you connect them like that, then the EL UI will see both pads and stakes. I recommend renaming your survey station (right click that part and click rename) so that it's clear which "pad" it is, otherwise you've got pad 0, pad 1, etc. Then in the UI you can pick the survey station and the set of stakes you want.

I've had some luck using the Orbital Dock on to build things on planetary surfaces, but it helps to also have Vessel Mover so I can grab what I built and relocate to a safe place before it falls over or something. The orbital dock is also a part I recommend renaming so that it doesn't get confusing in the EL UI.

Yep, all my "units" are connected by either flexotubes or pipes (via KAS connectors). That is the funny part, I had the stakes placed already, but the original survey station (actually a Duna Pioneeer module from RoverDude's Kolonization) did not see them. I then landed the second Survey Station (the original one, from EL, looking like the Hitchhiker's Pod), connected it to the station via flexotubes and BAM! the stakes appeared as associated with the Pioneer survey station. ATM I am using it like this, it's working and I'm OK with the extra 3 parts in my base.

The best part about the stakes is that I can build already in place so no moving is needed. And by using the coordinates system the new part is built exactly in the correct position. 

Here is my base now. Most big units were landed, most attachments, containers, drills, inflatable modules were build with EL and added after.hKqGos3.png

6 hours ago, Agnemon said:

@Warezcrawler from the sound of it, something on your vessel is clipping the launchpad. If it has landing legs, retract them (after finalizing or in the VAB) before you release. If this is no the case then check to see what, if anything, is lower than the anchor point to the pad and try to redesign your way around it.

Ok. Thanks. I will try and see what I can do. Could the launch clamps be part of the problem? It sounds like it's being staged right away.....

On 11/12/2016 at 4:59 PM, Warezcrawler said:

I just got the same NRE when using stakes, have been working on how they work - finally got it, and now NRE.... Funny thing is, that I still managed to get my vessel build on the stake.

Log file

Output log file

Should bugs for EPL be reported somewhere else then in this thread?

Okay, I'm not sure if this is a bug, an install issue (figured out below), or if I'm just doing something wrong. Let's see if I can properly show what's happening.

Here's my build setup. That's a survey stake casting that shadow on the right.

Spoiler

JpG3Ypv.png

Here's my build window

Spoiler

NjYHULS.png

And then again, immediately after I click Build. Note the alarm immediately coming up saying the build is completed.

Spoiler

hlaDqQE.png

No amount of warping is moving anything. It's almost like no... work... is being done. Huh. I should probably check-

Spoiler

qicwTkK.png?1

Well crap. Apparently I have some *really* dumb kerbals in here. Currently onboard: 

Spoiler

SczZpHD.png

Is there any way I can arrange these three to actually get my productivity positive? Or do I need a full crew replacement?

1 hour ago, sardia said:

Try adding a workshop. 

Was trying to build the workshop :P

Got it sorted by paying through the nose to hire and train a couple smart engineers, then flying them out. And yes, the workshop is an absurd boost. The same team that got 0.9 productivity before is getting 13 now, with the workshop built.

Now I have a problem that I'm slightly more confident isn't my fault. I'm sitting on 13.8% MetalOre according to my Magnetometer, but my auger isn't pulling up anything. It just shows "n/a" for rate.

Me8qsTI.png

Am I missing something?

6 hours ago, Jarin said:

Was trying to build the workshop :P

Got it sorted by paying through the nose to hire and train a couple smart engineers, then flying them out. And yes, the workshop is an absurd boost. The same team that got 0.9 productivity before is getting 13 now, with the workshop built.

Now I have a problem that I'm slightly more confident isn't my fault. I'm sitting on 13.8% MetalOre according to my Magnetometer, but my auger isn't pulling up anything. It just shows "n/a" for rate.

Me8qsTI.png

Am I missing something?

I'm having the same problem on Duna (and presumably my other bases too)! PLEASE SEND HELP!

7 hours ago, Jarin said:

11 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

I'm having the same problem on Duna (and presumably my other bases too)! PLEASE SEND HELP!

If you have EL and USI Kolonization, you will have both MetalOre and MetallicOre. In this case, EL adapts itself to use USI Kolonization resources and drills. So instead of MetalOre and RocketParts, you will have MetallicOre and ships are made with MaterialKits and SpecializedParts.

Also, I had an issue with a drill (not auger but it may be the same thing) that was installed too low on the mining ship. It was exactly like in the pic, you could see only the drill body. Take an engineer equipped with an electric screwdriver and move the auger a bit higher. 

1 minute ago, escu said:

If you have EL and USI Kolonization, you will have both MetalOre and MetallicOre. In this case, EL adapts itself to use USI Kolonization resources and drills. So instead of MetalOre and RocketParts, you will have MetallicOre and ships are made with MaterialKits and SpecializedParts.

Also, I had an issue with a drill (not auger but it may be the same thing) that was installed too low on the mining ship. It was exactly like in the pic, you could see only the drill body. Take an engineer equipped with an electric screwdriver and move the auger a bit higher. 

I use Karbonite and Kethane. My UmbraSpaceIndustries folder has the following contents: ReactorPack, Karbonite, KarbonitePlus, Kontainers, WarpDrive, CHANGELOG.txt, and USICore.version

Are any of these messing with EL? If so, how do I fix it without totally rebuilding all of my bases and a VERY low-orbiting Gilly station?

4 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

I use Karbonite and Kethane. My UmbraSpaceIndustries folder has the following contents: ReactorPack, Karbonite, KarbonitePlus, Kontainers, WarpDrive, CHANGELOG.txt, and USICore.version

Are any of these messing with EL? If so, how do I fix it without totally rebuilding all of my bases and a VERY low-orbiting Gilly station?

No, USI Kolonization is in MKS subfolder of UmbraSpaceIndustries.

If you have KIS/KAS, moving the Auger in an upper position is very easy: just equip an engineer with an electric screwdriver, move him near the auger, grab the auger (hold the G key and click on the auger) then place the auger just a little higher, hold X key and click to attach the auger in the new place).

2 hours ago, escu said:

No, USI Kolonization is in MKS subfolder of UmbraSpaceIndustries.

If you have KIS/KAS, moving the Auger in an upper position is very easy: just equip an engineer with an electric screwdriver, move him near the auger, grab the auger (hold the G key and click on the auger) then place the auger just a little higher, hold X key and click to attach the auger in the new place).

Said subfolder does not exist. I'll get the relevant info to you when I can

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

Said subfolder does not exist. I'll get the relevant info to you when I can

I think what @escu was trying to say was that you don't have Kolonization because you didn't say that you had UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS so then the augers must just be out of position and you should try to fix with KAS.

Jarin, Fireheart318: I believe this is the same problem I reported on page 175, and I believe the update to KSP 1.2.2 is to blame (they probably changed something that interacts with Extraplanetary Launchpads).  What we need to do is wait for taniwha to diagnose and fix it.

Fireheart318: Very low orbiting Gilly station, you say?  That sounds dangerous.  Some time ago, I did a mission to Low Gilly Orbit.  I was in a circular orbit at about 5km altitude.  Unfortunately, Gilly has mountains that are taller than that, and I had a Controlled Flight Into Terrain incident resulting in Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.  Best to stay up at least 10km if you are not in a landing approach or liftoff.

1 hour ago, cgwhite4 said:

Jarin, Fireheart318: I believe this is the same problem I reported on page 175, and I believe the update to KSP 1.2.2 is to blame (they probably changed something that interacts with Extraplanetary Launchpads).  What we need to do is wait for taniwha to diagnose and fix it.

Fireheart318: Very low orbiting Gilly station, you say?  That sounds dangerous.  Some time ago, I did a mission to Low Gilly Orbit.  I was in a circular orbit at about 5km altitude.  Unfortunately, Gilly has mountains that are taller than that, and I had a Controlled Flight Into Terrain incident resulting in Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.  Best to stay up at least 10km if you are not in a landing approach or liftoff.

For me, building ships in the orbital dock isn't working. Can you confirm that augers aren't working either?

14 minutes ago, sardia said:

For me, building ships in the orbital dock isn't working. Can you confirm that augers aren't working either?

Can confirm augers do nothing in 1.2.2 (don't have the KIS/KAS/other mods, just this and MechJeb and Historical Tech Tree)

Building wasn't working either, but I tested it using Bill (Bob? Who's the engineer?) in a workshop on the runway, and apparently had -9 production efficiency so maybe that's why...

9 minutes ago, sardia said:

Augers are definitely broken. I'm not sure about orbital dock but anyway it is not so useful without supply from ground.