[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Okay since its Kerbmas i gonna show off some more progress.

Here is a quick render of the new launchpad as it unfolds. As the previus Launch Pad 2. This will be more or less a selfcontainable unit with some design changes from my side: I included landing legs on the outter side. this will help for better stable operations as both a launch and landing platform. I also did not installed any engine(s) on it. there will be attachment points on the top and bottom where you can throw on things to adjust to the body you're planning to land this baby on. I can't tell anything about the final stats as that is taniwha's domain.

taniwha: Not sure if we need to move the top attachment point. But if its there it would give you the option to put a lifter/parachute assembly for planets with atmosphere/high gravity on top that can be jetisoned once used. About the enginering. It looks more complicating than it is. Just look at some of the solar panel rigging ;D

All others: Thanks!

Aeon-Phoenix: I'll defer to you on that as my engineering was electronic. The joint strengths concerned me, that's all.

Indeed, an attachment point on the top will make getting the pad down a lot easier, and due to the way EL works, having something permanently attached to it won't be a good idea anyway.

Awww darn. I suppose it makes it safer to use a crane to do cleanup work. Tether the crane-car to the recycling bin with a docked winch, then drive around picking up debris.

Though I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I never considered the concept of the recycling bin on a space station. Or more appropriately for my uses, on a garbage scow that goes around cleaning up spent stages in orbit.

Now that is a spiffy launchpad! I won't be too terribly concerned if the top connection node doesn't move when the launchpad unfolds, it looks like anything that remains connected there would be serious trouble either way when stuff gets built on it. So I would use it solely as a connection point for a sky crane or other such temporary gripper.

I just found this by accident and I love it! Playing KSP I discovered some mild OCD-ish behaviour, manifesting in trying to keep it realistic. Yes, i know... But i could never just strap a structure the size of a footballfield to the top of a rocket thats wider than it's tall, even the thought of it... And while I don't need a Launchpad on other planets (all I "need" is something for smaller constructions and repairs) having one in orbit is brilliant and the fact, that I have to supply it with resources...Exactly what I was looking for! This is so close to my imagination, it's almost scary.