[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Eskandare: if you know how to use make, just take a look in Makefile. At worst,

make KSPDIR=ksp-root-dir APIEXTDATA=full-path-to-valid-kspapiextdl install

(my makefiles expect the kspapiext dll to be in EL's plugin dir in gamedata, but that won't be the case for the initial build/install).

BTW, I've pushed a new mallet part (for using the stakes with KIS).

I have released version 5.1.90 of EL (beta for 5.2.0). Links in the first post.

Changes from 5.1.2:

• Pad name length is now unlimited.
  • Survey stations in orbit can no longer build.
  • KIS integration
    • Survey stakes now use KIS instead of KAS.
    • Attaching survey stakes now requires the kerbal to equip a mallet (new part).
    • KIS containers are investigated for calculating resource costs (currently only one level deep). Any resources found inside a KIS container becomes required. Note that such resources not counting towards resource mass and counting towards dry mass is a deliberate design decision: they are not accessible until the part is removed from storage.

[*]KSP 1.0.x updates

• Various launch clamp fixes.
    • Vessel thumbnails in the craft selection dialog (except for subassemblies: KSP limitation).
    • Ore is now MetalOre.
    • Stock resource system is used for conversions (no longer dependent on Kethane or Karbonite).
    • MetalOre is added to the stock minable resources (but Kethane is still supported).
    • The auger extracts from both systems simultaneously and transparently.
    • Node orientations corrected on many parts.
    • Stock gender is used instead of the now defunct KerbalStats version (KerbalStats is still very useful for experience, though).
    • All prices (resource and parts) rebalanced to be in line with the 1.0 tank prices.
    • The magnetometer can be used for MetalOre detection similarly to the stock NBR scanner (and is still useful for Kethane).

[*]A crew hatch (currently invisible, but on the port side if the < section is considered to be the bow: easy to find via the mouse) has been added to launchpad2. It follows the cabin when opening/closing the pad. However, there is currently no ladder. Have fun ;)

[*]EL part modules now show an icon (currently the same one as in the blizzy toolbar) in the Filter by PartModule list.

[*]Probe cores no longer get the workshop module (thanks to Sarbian for the MM magic).

[*]The auger has been given a little bit of a going over: the screw is now in the correct direction (ie, right-handed) and it turns when the drill is running :).

Again, this is a beta version for 5.2.0. There may be bugs in the new features and there is still work to be done on polish (mostly module info for the parts list), and stock depletion zones are not yet supported. However, things do seem to work nicely. Good luck :).

Edited by taniwha

taro8: 3D printing alone is not the solution to all manufacturing problems, hough it certainly will cover many. Cutting, polishing, forging, etc will all still be required, just when required for the job rather than because there's no other way.

Do the survey stations still gain mass as the build progresses? I understand that was done so that people couldn't 99% build something, fly it with invisible mass and then complete it elsewhere, but I found it doesn't make sense for survey stations on the ground. It often leads to bases tipping over towards the survey station when building massive objects (like bigger surface bases). Although this could be written off as poor base design on my part, now that survey stations must be landed to build, does it make sense for the mass to either be added to something stable (like the survey stakes) or not worry about conserving the mass since the object is being built on the ground? Giving the mass to the stakes would also make them impossible to move by kerbal once the build has begun, which I think makes sense since in reality there would be a pile of parts on the ground that would then also have to move. It would also make surface bases that much more likely to survive massive builds without crushing themselves which is the point of using the ground and launch clamps to support the new vessel.

Otherwise, great work as always! I'm really happy you chose to use stock and Kethane side-by-side and let the user choose their preferred resource system without needing compatibility mods or settings changes.

Will the necessary changes likely be difficult to get the Baha drills to work with the new extraction module or can we simply copy the module section in the config?

I have released version 5.1.90 of EL (beta for 5.2.0). Links in the first post.

Changes from 5.1.2:

• Pad name length is now unlimited.
  • KIS integration
    • Survey stakes now use KIS instead of KAS.
    • Attaching survey stakes now requires the kerbal to equip a mallet (new part).
    • KIS containers are investigated for calculating resource costs (currently only one level deep). Any resources found inside a KIS container becomes required. Note that such resources not counting towards resource mass and counting towards dry mass is a deliberate design decision: they are not accessible until the part is removed from storage.

[*]KSP 1.0.x updates

• Various launch clamp fixes.
    • Vessel thumbnails in the craft selection dialog (except for subassemblies: KSP limitation).
    • Ore is now MetalOre.
    • Stock resource system is used for conversions (no longer dependent on Kethane or Karbonite).
    • MetalOre is added to the stock minable resources (but Kethane is still supported).
    • The auger extracts from both systems simultaneously and transparently.
    • Node orientations corrected on many parts.
    • Stock gender is used instead of the now defunct KerbalStats version (KerbalStats is still very useful for experience, though).
    • All prices (resource and parts) rebalanced to be in line with the 1.0 tank prices.
    • The magnetometer can be used for MetalOre detection similarly to the stock NBR scanner (and is still useful for Kethane).

[*]A crew hatch (currently invisible, but on the port side if the < section is considered to be the bow: easy to find via the mouse) has been added to launchpad2. It follows the cabin when opening/closing the pad. However, there is currently no ladder. Have fun ;)

[*]EL part modules now show an icon (currently the same one as in the blizzy toolbar) in the Filter by PartModule list.

[*]Probe cores no longer get the workshop module (thanks to Sarbian for the MM magic).

[*]The auger has been given a little bit of a going over: the screw is now in the correct direction (ie, right-handed) and it turns when the drill is running :).

Again, this is a beta version for 5.2.0. There may be bugs in the new features and there is still work to be done on polish (mostly module info for the parts list), and stock depletion zones are not yet supported. However, things do seem to work nicely. Good luck :).

Awesome! Been waiting for an update, now all i need is civilian population to update to 1.0 :)

really loved this mod in 0.9,got one question only.does this mod still works the way he did in 0.9 with mks/oks system?

or was there some huge change?

MKS/OKS uses a different production chain and resources (along with their own orbital dock and mobile launchpad)

The production chain on MKS/OKS side was simplfied a little bit. But otherwise no changes, any further questions on it you'll wanna direct to the MKS thread :)

Yep :) Also I no longer hide the EL parts. I did this because I saw it was causing some support grief in this thread, and given that was the opposite of my intention, did a few tweaks on my side to make sure there were no conflicts.

Do the survey stations still gain mass as the build progresses? I understand that was done so that people couldn't 99% build something, fly it with invisible mass and then complete it elsewhere, but I found it doesn't make sense for survey stations on the ground. It often leads to bases tipping over towards the survey station when building massive objects (like bigger surface bases). Although this could be written off as poor base design on my part, now that survey stations must be landed to build, does it make sense for the mass to either be added to something stable (like the survey stakes) or not worry about conserving the mass since the object is being built on the ground? Giving the mass to the stakes would also make them impossible to move by kerbal once the build has begun, which I think makes sense since in reality there would be a pile of parts on the ground that would then also have to move. It would also make surface bases that much more likely to survive massive builds without crushing themselves which is the point of using the ground and launch clamps to support the new vessel.

Otherwise, great work as always! I'm really happy you chose to use stock and Kethane side-by-side and let the user choose their preferred resource system without needing compatibility mods or settings changes.

Will the necessary changes likely be difficult to get the Baha drills to work with the new extraction module or can we simply copy the module section in the config?

I'm not particularly happy with the handling of mass either (even for pads), but there's the big problem of where to put it. Also, keeping the mass on the survey station does prevent the player from moving away from the build site (for large enough builds) due to the accumulated mass.

The module setup is a bit different, so just copying won't work, but what needs to change should be fairly clear. diff showing what changed in the config (not sure how well the animation will go, though).

Oops, minor bug. Thanks.

There should be no change in that area as it was already independent of other mods.

INSULINt: of course it is possible, but it is actually undesirable: stock Ore is too light. I suspect the stuff is actually coal (which makes it useful for smelting MetalOre into Metal (I might actually do that once I do some math)).

I can't seem to get my orbital construction dock to go from parts to building. It has power, some Kerbals in the blue workshop, and something to build, but it just sits at 0% 00:00:00. It has more than enough parts for the item I was test-building. I tried this at the launch pad and in orbit around Kerbin. I have v5.1.90 version from the first post. Am I missing something, does the ship top be built have some requirements? There is an OKTO on the workshop for control (so those Kerbals don't get to lack off) and the dock's top (wide face) is unobstructed. The rocket count beside the progress bar is green, and what I suppose is an off/off light at the top right corner is as well. That status at the top is orbiting.

[EXC 05:49:14.317] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.KIS.KISWrapper.Initialize ()

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExSettings.OnAwake ()

ScenarioModule.Awake ()

UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)

ScenarioRunner:AddModule(String)

ScenarioRunner:AddModule(ConfigNode)

ProtoScenarioModule:Load(ScenarioRunner)

:MoveNext()

I noted a few of these entries in my log.

Edited by Szara
Logs

INSULINt: of course it is possible, but it is actually undesirable: stock Ore is too light. I suspect the stuff is actually coal (which makes it useful for smelting MetalOre into Metal (I might actually do that once I do some math)).

Can you confirm that your 'augers' are compatible with MKS's resource drills?

Szara: umm, I forgot to test without KIS installed. Looking at the code, sure enough there's an NRE hole if KIS is not installed (simple solution: install KIS). Thank you for the report, I'll fix it.

As for the not building: sandbox or career? If career, they need to be engineers. Either way, they must not be too stupid (check Kerbas_ad_astra's graphs linked from the first post). Right click on the workshop to check your productivity: it must be greater than 0 for any building to be done. It may be worth checking the logs (look for "[EL Workshop] Kerbal")

Krakenfour: I haven't downloaded MKS since 0.24 or so (and then I never got to actually use it), so no clue. There's a large dependency on just what you're trying to do, too.

Edited by taniwha

Kudos on the new beta version! =) My only real issue with the new execution of EPL is the name "MetalOre" - it makes me feel like stock's "Ore" should be called something else.

If I had a mind to rename EPL's "MetalOre" or stock's "Ore" to something that I like better, would I be able to as long as I tracked down all the dependencies, or is stock's "Ore" hardcoded somewhere I can't touch?

One issue I have run into which I'm guessing may not be directly EPL, but I figured I would ask anyhow. I have installed the toolbar mod, but I am not getting the icon in the VAB/SPH. Therefore every time add a part I am getting the EPL build resource window pop up and I am unsure how to get it to go away. I assume EPL doesn't support the stock menu yet and I did not know if there was a hotkey to toggle it on and off in the VAB.

Doctor Axel: Indeed it should have been called something else :(

I'm pretty certain stock Ore is fully replaceable: just do a whole-word search for "Ore" through the Squad branch of GameData (you'll need to hit the resource definition, and all mention of Ore in the various parts). Similar story for MetalOre, but in the ExtraplantaryLaunchpads branch (and I know you can change it :))

goldenpsp: Um... I don't know why you wouldn't get the button on blizzy's toolbar (you did check available buttons, right?).

Enceos: KerbalStats tracks time-based experience, so engineers (even the stupidest) will improve their productivity the longer they spend time in a workshop.

Doctor Axel: Indeed it should have been called something else :(

I'm pretty certain stock Ore is fully replaceable: just do a whole-word search for "Ore" through the Squad branch of GameData (you'll need to hit the resource definition, and all mention of Ore in the various parts). Similar story for MetalOre, but in the ExtraplantaryLaunchpads branch (and I know you can change it :))

goldenpsp: Um... I don't know why you wouldn't get the button on blizzy's toolbar (you did check available buttons, right?).

Enceos: KerbalStats tracks time-based experience, so engineers (even the stupidest) will improve their productivity the longer they spend time in a workshop.

I don't have the blizzy button at all in the VAB. Like the stock one you start with that you can then click to add icons and move it around. I'm guessing a likely toolbar issue rather than EPL. But in lieu of the toolbar I wasnt sure if there was a hotkey to toggle it off, or a config option to suppress the build resources window for now.

so mks has its own parts that require this to work?

You have lots of options.

1. use the standard EPL parts and resource workflow. nothing changes

2. Use MKS parts for making rocketparts, which is a different workflow.

3. Use a combination of both. The MKS parts with EPL build functionatlity do basically the same thing just look more MKS'ish