[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

What causes the 2fps frame-rates? This mod, another mod, or a slow computer?

Watch **** on the second screen?

No serious; this mod didn't cause me much frame-rate drop, unless you build ships of hundreds of parts.. I have ships with equipment from this mod, and I have several mods running besides this one. Not a special drop of frame-rate unless part-count goes above 100 (combined of all ships in range), with or without this mod..

When you experience this drop of FPS, use Alt-F12 to call the debug-screen. Under the second button 'Debug' you can see the things KSP and the MODs did report (wrong or not). Sometimes a drop in FPS is an error being thrown multitude of times per second, causing the delay. If there is anything making that debug information scroll fast or show's rather uncomfortable (girl doesn't like drinks, bra doesn't open ;)) information; make a printscreen and paste it here.

What causes the 2fps frame-rates? This mod, another mod, or a slow computer?

Part count. Just good old part count. Just the tank stand itself (the X) is at least 30 parts. 18 parts for just one tower crane (of which two are docked to the tops of the tanks). About 13 for the kethane storage/conversion unit. Things add up fast.

I don't want it to be easy. I would however like a few connection points on the structures BESIDES the ones that are about 20 meters in the air above and to the side... :)

I would also like, if my smelter drops from a couple meters to the ground, for it to not explode.

Didn't know about the fragility of the smelter, but do remember that anything that can handle > 1500C will be somewhat brittle. I will check the impact tolerance, though.

I do intend on fixing the bogus attach nodes. Even though I want to make things... not easy, I don't want to make (or leave) them impossible.

5thHorseman: I just had a look at the smelter, and it's more fragile than a gigantor solar panel :confused: (7 vs 8). I don't care how much fragile refractory material is in that thing, there's no way it's more fragile than a gigantor. I will definitely up it, but not necessarily by a huge amount.

Kethane is required, yes. EL uses the same resource framework for Ore.

Note on getting things to land intact: I've been wondering lately if hexcans are sturdy enough for a low altitude airdrop without an actual landing and I remembered that this exists. Yet one more mod, and I don't know if they'll still work, but it might be something to try.

Tigerclaw: Do you have a digital camera? Phone maybe? That's how I typically get pictures onto my computer these days.

There's a few thoughts I've had as far as EL goes. Most involve 3d models which I may attempt to do (although I'm terribad with textures so i'd need someone to texture them), but one has been coming back repeatedly.

It would be really nice to be able to see the amount of rocket parts a design will use while still in the VAB/SPH. I've founf it annoying to design a vehicle, switch to my orbital dock, load up the vehicle, Find it's more parts than I have, and repeat.

It would be really nice to be able to see the amount of rocket parts a design will use while still in the VAB/SPH. I've founf it annoying to design a vehicle, switch to my orbital dock, load up the vehicle, Find it's more parts than I have, and repeat.

This is actually planned, but in the meantime, it's fairly easy (though a little tedious) to calculate: build the ship, launch it, note down the resource quantities, go to map view, open the info panel and check the ship's mass. Multiply the resource quantities by their densities (stock resources are found in GameData/Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric.cfg), add up the resulting masses and subtract the total from the ship's mass you recorded from the map view. You then multiply the final answer by 400 to get the amount of parts necessary.

But as I said, that is something I plan to add.

As far as the parts go (especially the smelter) it really is the awkwardness rather than size. Definitely the connection problems building them in the VAB. The smelter is big. That's fine, tricky to build a rocket to fly that much weight, but it's a challenge. But... trying to mount it with the radial mount problems is a mess. So if a new version is built I'm fine with it still being huge, as long as it has good connection issues to make it easy to design vessels using it, even if the 'vessels' designed with it in are just a smelter and KAS pipe nodes to link once it's built off world.

OK! One other thought.

KAS has something where a kerbal can attach things to the ground. I haven't extensively used EL (And what I have has been entirely in space), but the ground-based launchpads could benefit from being completely anchored to the ground. Would certainly help on non-perfect surfaces. Not everywhere's going to be a Minmus frozen ocean...

EDIT: Also, for those interested, the RCS Build Aid plugin will also list the Dry Mass under its "Markers" tab. Just multiply that by 400 for Rocket Parts. Just make sure to uncheck each of the boxes.

Edited by Andon

Is it possible to not use any resource and build a ship? I really hate having to get resources.

Just don't install Kethane. If Kethane is not present, EL will build ships fully fueled and charged without using any resources.

I have enable the issue tracker on github. While I will often respond to issues here, if you want me to not forget, please submit your issues to the tracker. However, reports like "the models are terrible, please fix" will be deleted with prejudice :) (but ones where describe how they are terrible will be considered).

Quick dumb question.

How do you see or interpret the data from the ore scanners? Is there a visual readout or something akin to the Kethane mod?

Hey there Botch, The ore scanners require Kethane to work, and you scan for ore the same way you scan for Kethane. You can press the little button "Show Grid Overlay" on the Kethane Scan Map GUI to toggle the hexmap to show kethane/ore in mapmode. The little teeny buttons beside the "Kethane" will toggle between Ore and Kethane.

ghYnICl.jpg

The color of detected Kethane ranges from Light green (not much kethane) -> to Dark green (more kethane).

The color of detected Ore ranges from yellow (not much ore) -> to red (more Ore) (I might have to double check that)

I really enjoyed the mod till the point where i finally got the infra structure set up and wanted to build my first pieces on another planet. They all blew up and threw my entire statin across the entire plantets surface and beyond. (my rover virtually entered orbit through that - or rather the remains of it). no matter how tricky i placed the stuff it always blew up.

Now my question: is there a hotfix, or something i can do in a part or config file to fix this myself?

Hey there Botch, The ore scanners require Kethane to work, and you scan for ore the same way you scan for Kethane. ....
You need to install Kethane for the scanners to work, and then the data will be visisble via the kethane grid (you select the resource to display).

thanks, y'all. i knew it was a stupid question