[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Just a heads up, it seems that you need to have an Engineer in the Hitchhiker/Survey Module before it will recognise a stake surveyed pad. Once the pad has been recognised you can remove the engineer with no "APPARENT" issues.

Question: If I have a "Landing Pad V2" on a base, do I need a survey can? (Obviously everything would have to be built on the landing pad and you would not be able to use survey stakes)

Agnemon: Answering backwards because... If you have a pad, no need for a survey station. You can have both, and have two builds going at once, even, but things can get a little confusing (but that's part of why you can rename pads and survey stations: to help with the confusion).

The survey station has varying range depending on who's in it.

• nobody: 20m
  • non-surveyor: 50m
  • 0-star surveyor: 100m
  • 1-star surveyor: 200m
  • 2-star surveyor: 400m
  • 3-star surveyor: 800m
  • 4-star surveyor: 1600m
  • 5-star surveyor: 2000m (not doubled to 3200m because of KSP's physics range, even then I'm not sure how well it works past 200m)

A surveyor is a kerbal with the surveying skill (by default, pilot).

This bit me yesterday: I had trouble getting EL to see my survey site when I had just previously built something there. I had forgotten that I had removed Jeb from the survey station to add an extra stake. Of course, the closest state was about 22m from the survey station :P.

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

5-star surveyor: 2000m (not doubled to 3200m because of KSP's physics range, even then I'm not sure how well it works past 200m)

When spawning a new craft, do you technically undock it from the parent vessel? I had an 800m-long vessel on Minmus that would teleport around to the other side of Minmus (lat/long/alt all set to 0) when it was undocked from a base, and my best educated guess was that it was caused by the CoM/origin of the newly-spawned vessel being outside that 200m force-application range.

Spawning a new craft actually loads the craft into the game in a fashion very similar to hitting the launch button in the VAB (just without the scene change stuff). If building using a survey station, that's actually the end of the process as far as EL is concerned. When building from a pad (launchpad or orbital dock), EL then force-docks the new craft to the pad, and releasing the new craft is the same as undocking.

I have a problem with building ships,

I have sufficient resources (100,000 rocket parts, machine kits and special parts), engineers (who are smart), fuel and electricity. when I bring up the UI, I can select a craft to build with all requirements green. when i click build it takes me to the waiting screen but all bars are dark blue showing [0], 0% and no loading or movement. any ideas to fix?

PS any known mods that might clash with extraplanetary launch pads?

edit PSS all kerbonughts have very little stupidity and productivity is still 0 

Will. :confused: 

Edit

FIXED!

Thanks to taniwha. It was the module manager, ckan seemed to install a early version of 2.5 something. so i just reinstalled ckan and everything is good! 

Cheers, Will :D

Edited by willolek
fixed the problem!

Having trouble with the recycling bin. I've got a transfer-tug half-recycled at my space dock, but after eating the engine, it stopped at "Transferring Resources". I was able to manually remove the remaining fuel from the tug, but it's now completely empty and still won't continue the recycling process. I've tried activating/deactivating the recycling bin, but it just returns to the same transfer state. There's plenty of room for rocketparts storage, and as far as I can tell, all other resources have been removed from the tug. It's literally just a decoupler, an empty tank, and a couple of struts at this point.Not even any batteries. 

willolek: I suspect Module Manager is not installed.

Jarin: I fixed that back in November :( (or a bug very similar to it). Just this weekend I've done quite a bit of recycling at my station and everything went well, including the engine, though that part was eaten last. However, it still didn't get stuck as I could recycle other things afterwards (different KSP session, though, I think).

If your recycler is still stuck, please send me your save file. There might be a clue in there.

[edit] I just looked at the code and while the recycler saves its state, it does not load its state, so that itself will cause problems. However, if you have KIS you should be able to work around it by getting kerbals to disassemble the junk ship: the recycler grabs the junk via the standard part.Couple, so KIS should have no trouble removing everything. In the meantime, I'll work on that state loading.

Edited by taniwha

... it occurs to me that I may also be a bit dumb here again. Does the recycler scrap things to metal? I don't have metal storage on station, only rocket parts.

Still, the stuck thing is irritating. Need a "release held craft" decouple option for the bin, maybe?

Dropbox of save here. Station is "Minbase One" around Minmus. 

I'll build a metal tank on the station in the meantime to see if that helps.

Edit: Okay, engineer with electric screwdriver fixed the stuck part issue. But now I'm recycling and not getting anything out of it. 

Edit2: Did some launchpad testing, and I'm kinda baffled now. I seem to get some amount of metal and some amount of scrapmetal? But then you can't store scrapmetal in anything but a furnace, so am I missing something here?

Edited by Jarin

I keep forgetting to do something more for scrap metal, partly because I use MFT and Talisar's spherical tanks (now Talisar Parts).

Any resources that have insufficient storage will simply disappear (so the recycler doesn't stall).

Anyway, thanks to your save, I think I've found the problem: you have 1.3754919452324543E-06u of Metal remaining to transfer. Why it's not transferring is beyond me, but at least I've got something to work with  :)

I've figured out what's going on: the recycler is attempting to dump the Metal, but the amount is so tiny it's getting confused (I put checks against 1e-6, but that's actually to big). Anyway, thanks to your little problem, a few bugs in EL's recyclers are getting fixed :)

Taniwha, Im using my orbital station to build ships (its only now I decided to come and ask) and when I finalize I change the menu to the space dock and all the sliders are at 100% and my station is full of power/fuel however the port wont transfer the resources to the newly created vessel.

IIRC you used to finalize build and then that resourse window with the sliders would show up and you'd watch as the fuel/power were auto transferred?

(obv'ly when selecting the craft to build the sliders were set to 100% too)

I don't use any 'listed' conflicting mods.

luckily I have IFS to transfer fuel/power, but is just another thing to do.

Is it supposed to fill the fuel/power to the new vessel? if so what can I do to make it work.

XnzidBo.png

as you can see all parts are connected on the stn.

hmm, the power and the monoprop filled but my lo-ox didn't, I just had a thought, my engines are attached to LF cones that I use to mount them, I turn off the LF on those and use fuel pipes from the lf-ox tank to them to fuel the engines. would it be that because the fuel tank lf-ox is connected through the pipes that it doesn't get filled? (thinking pipes are one way and im guessing the connection to the vessel is through the engines?

5QT2Yj5.png

I don't know if I did something wrong on the instal at least i don't think I did but I always get a 0 productivity even with a work shop filled with smart kerbals.

LMyIrzs.jpg

Uum1sXT.jpg

DYUwhoK.jpg

i did a test rig in sandbox just to make sure i had all my kerbals as smart as i could. 

Edited by TrHollywood

7 minutes ago, TrHollywood said:

I don't know if I did something wrong on the instal at least i don't think I did but I always get a 0 productivity even with a work shop filled with smart kerbals.

This is almost always caused by Module Manager not being (correctly) installed.

Why should it come with EL? Multiple mods packaging it is a RPITA, especially when they package different versions. It's not like Module Manager isn't linked from the OP, in the "Required Mods" section. Admittedly, it's a little distant from the download link.

I only say that because the last EL that I used had it with the main folder in the ZIP file not saying it has to come with it but I just assumed that it didn't need it any more for the switch to unity 5 and you know what assuming dose. lol yea after you mentioned needing to install MM I went back and read a little further down the list and saw the required mods. 

On 08.05.2016 at 4:46 PM, taniwha said:

When building from a pad (launchpad or orbital dock), EL then force-docks the new craft to the pad, and releasing the new craft is the same as undocking.

Hey @taniwha! Have you ever thought of implementing a backwards process: docking a vessel back to the spacedock?

That's actually useful for oversize ships and super oversize stations. You don't expect a Battlestar Galactica to dock somewhere :3

shipyard_orbit.jpg

Edited by Enceos

12 minutes ago, taniwha said:

I would expect "somewhere" to dock to a battlestar :P

Heh r1rhQ0V.png

Oh, found another picture of that "somewhere", where battlestar would be eager to dock, but not via a docking port though.

horizon_station___earth_orbital_5_by_mad

Edited by Enceos
somewhere

On 5/6/2016 at 6:52 PM, taniwha said:

Markelius: The blend files are already there under the GamaData tree. Not all parts have blend files, but those that do have them in the appropriate directory.

Can you upload the .blend file for the workshop? The "workshop.blend" file that's there is for the IVA but there isn't one for the exterior. Thanks!