[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Markelius: everything is in the one file, just on separate layers. Change the current layer by clicking on the little squares in the double block of squares in about the middle of the 3d-view's status bar.

Exterior main is in layer 1, collider in layer 2, hatch in 3 (collider spread across layers 1-5), ladder model and collider spread across 1-5, IVA in 6, seat in 16. You can have more than one layer visible by shift-clicking the squares.

@taniwha Just curious, but are there any texture packs/reworks to make the parts more stock-alike? I like the mod, but the parts stand out like a sore thumb a bit. (haven't used the new release yet though, I'm unaware if they got re-textured.)

8 hours ago, taniwha said:

Markelius: everything is in the one file, just on separate layers.

Thanks, I never bother with layers when I 3d model as I always end up forgetting that I have stuff on different layers, didn't even think to check them.

2 hours ago, Markelius said:

I always end up forgetting that I have stuff on different layers

I often have this problem :) However, blender indicates the presence of objects on a layer with a dot in the box, and the layer of the active object has an orange dot.

19 hours ago, Gnoyze said:

@taniwha Just curious, but are there any texture packs/reworks to make the parts more stock-alike? I like the mod, but the parts stand out like a sore thumb a bit. (haven't used the new release yet though, I'm unaware if they got re-textured.)

You can use the EPL core functionality with other mods. Pathfinder has all the manufacturing chain parts, orbital docks and a "Spyglass" survey station, USI Kolonization has a launchpad and an orbital shipyard parts, you can strip them from there or use the mod as a whole, it expands the manufacturing chain to increase the difficulty of rocketmaking. There's also a SimpleConstruction mod which adds all the EPL functionality to stock parts. There's a set of three futuristic spacedocks in the IXS Warpship thread. A full set of new parts for EPL in the Keridian Dynamics pack, it even has a dedicated recycler.

I usually leave only the 'Mallet', 'Recycle Bin', and 'Survey Stake' parts in my ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Parts folder and use parts from the aforementioned mods.

@taniwha what do you think about adding a section "Mods using EPL" to your OP? Or add these to the "Some alternative parts" section. The new folk seems to wonder quite often about other parts with EPL functionality.

Edited by Enceos

Running Exception Detector and I consistently get the following error (normally when entering SPH/VAB);

"Launchpad

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExEditorToolbar.Awake: 1" (the 1 is the exception count, thus goes to 2 when I re-enter the SPH. Is this something that can be safely ignored?

Hi

I've been looking at this mod, because the concept is simply brilliant. However, I have no intentions of installing Kethane, I think Karbonite+stock is just fine for resources.

So I'm looking for advisory on
What does it take, to use this mod, in a stock setting and still be able to access all the features of this mod? Is it even possible?

There are some places that mention OKS.... Does that do the trick?

This mod has used stock since about 1.0, I believe.  No need for anything else - you just need this.  (And MM.)  OKS/MKS (AKA: UKS) changes things around quite a bit, but it still works directly with stock.  (But the resource chain will change, as will what resources you need to actually build.)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

This mod has used stock since about 1.0, I believe.  No need for anything else - you just need this.  (And MM.)  OKS/MKS (AKA: UKS) changes things around quite a bit, but it still works directly with stock.  (But the resource chain will change, as will what resources you need to actually build.)

Ok thanks.... Then I will try it out soon... I was just worried that some of the resources for building was not minable without Kethane, that's how I read it.

On 5/11/2016 at 3:51 PM, Warezcrawler said:

Ok thanks.... Then I will try it out soon... I was just worried that some of the resources for building was not minable without Kethane, that's how I read it.

You can use kethane, Karbonite, and any other mining or resourse spotting mod (SCANsat and Stockalike Mining Expansion are my favs)
But other than that you dont need them. Like he said, stock works perfectly fine. There's even a plugin that moves the functionality to stock parts. So go knock yourself out. :D

On 5/11/2016 at 8:11 AM, Enceos said:

You can use the EPL core functionality with other mods. Pathfinder has all the manufacturing chain parts, orbital docks and a "Spyglass" survey station, USI Kolonization has a launchpad and an orbital shipyard parts, you can strip them from there or use the mod as a whole, it expands the manufacturing chain to increase the difficulty of rocketmaking. There's also a SimpleConstruction mod which adds all the EPL functionality to stock parts. There's a set of three futuristic spacedocks in the IXS Warpship thread. A full set of new parts for EPL in the Keridian Dynamics pack, it even has a dedicated recycler.

I usually leave only the 'Mallet', 'Recycle Bin', and 'Survey Stake' parts in my ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Parts folder and use parts from the aforementioned mods.

@taniwha what do you think about adding a section "Mods using EPL" to your OP? Or add these to the "Some alternative parts" section. The new folk seems to wonder quite often about other parts with EPL functionality.

Thanks for the help man. Love your avatar. Will keep building ships away from home. (gonna use USI cause Roverdude is awesome too)

Edited by Gnoyze

A minor cosmetic issue, in the production pad  / select ship menu, if you delete a ship the confirmation query window pops up behind the other windows, you have to move them out of the way to confirm the delete

Hey all I need some help please :)

I have MKS and EPL installed.

I have built a basic building and I have rocket parts BUT when i try to build a craft it says I need specalised parts I think cant realy tell as its cut off in the menu.

I think this is MKS causing this issue is it possible to get MKS to use rocket parts or what do I do LOL I am lost :(

1 hour ago, stk2008 said:

Hey all I need some help please :)

I have MKS and EPL installed.

I have built a basic building and I have rocket parts BUT when i try to build a craft it says I need specalised parts I think cant realy tell as its cut off in the menu.

I think this is MKS causing this issue is it possible to get MKS to use rocket parts or what do I do LOL I am lost :(

If you're using MKS, it changes the production chain to use MaterialKits and SpecializedParts instead of RocketParts.  There's a whole production chain to make those, or you can ship them in the containers provided.  This does mean that some of the EL parts are useless - but the actual building parts all work, and the build process remains the same.  (You just need different resources.)

(If you really need to change back to RocketParts, there is a config file in the MKS install you can remove.  But you'd be missing a lot of the experience that MKS provides.)

My recycler got stuck to debris and I have no way of getting it loose again. I tried moving in another recycler, but when I activated that one it also got stuck...and a few seconds later the entire vessel was violently blown apart, pieces flying off in all directions at very high speed (> 300m/s) and exploding on their own after some time.

Help?

On 11/05/2016 at 9:18 PM, Marrv said:

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExEditorToolbar.Awake: 1" (the 1 is the exception count, thus goes to 2 when I re-enter the SPH. Is this something that can be safely ignored?

It's an exception, it cannot be safely ignored. (sorry, missed this earlier)

12 hours ago, curiousepic said:

Is there any possibility of EPL pulling parts in a KIS Inventory to put towards the assembly of a ship?

There are a few problems with this. Number one is there is no such mod as EPL :P

Second (and more seriously): RocketParts does not represent the parts with which you build your rocket in the editor, but rather the parts used to make those.

And third (the real problem as I see it): this would wind up counter productive: building KIS containers full of useful items is a perfectly valid way of getting such useful items where you need them. If EL pulled items from KIS containers to build things, attempting to build such convenience packages would result in a net loss: you lose the items from the other container, and you use resources to build what is effectively an empty container.

6 minutes ago, taniwha said:

It's an exception, it cannot be safely ignored. (sorry, missed this earlier)

Anything I can do to help resolve it?

8 hours ago, taniwha said:

Second (and more seriously): RocketParts does not represent the parts with which you build your rocket in the editor, but rather the parts used to make those.

Right, so if the Inventory has a part that the vessel needs, the RocketParts that would have contributed to that part (just match the mass?) is deducted from the total, and the build time.

And third (the real problem as I see it): this would wind up counter productive: building KIS containers full of useful items is a perfectly valid way of getting such useful items where you need them. If EL pulled items from KIS containers to build things, attempting to build such convenience packages would result in a net loss: you lose the items from the other container, and you use resources to build what is effectively an empty container.

I wan't quite able to parse this (does "build" always = build with an EL?), but it may help to explain my use case.  I don't intend to use EL to construct vessels that have containers with parts in their Inventory. Basically I'd like a way to restrict certain parts from being built from RocketParts, such as Probe cores, Engines, and other complicated things.  Those parts would have to be shipped from home.  Hence using KIS to bring them along and the potential for EL to pull straight from them.

I know it's a... niche request; I'm mostly just checking to see if it happened to be simple to implement. My alternative would be to only construct vessels without those parts, and manually attach those parts with KAS. Which is its own fun challenge, but requires a Kerbal along for the ride.

Edited by curiousepic

8 hours ago, curiousepic said:

does "build" always = build with an EL?

When speaking in an EL context (like this), yes.

8 hours ago, curiousepic said:

Basically I'd like a way to restrict certain parts from being built from RocketParts, such as Probe cores, Engines, and other complicated things.

This feature is actually already there, as such: use recipes to require other resources. However, making something impossible to build is contrary to EL's purpose. Difficult, sure, but not impossible. EL is about going independent from KSC (well, except for kerbals, but I'm working on that).

Anyway, you could then use KIS to attach those part.

Hey guys.  I'm not sure if this is a known bug or problem, but is there a chance we could get an extra integer displayed for the quantities in the EL build window?  As it is it stacks and you can't see how much you've got.

OBWhRem.jpg

You have at least 109103.89 (the 0s could be 6 or 8, the 3 could be a 5) materials kits, need only 8580.44 (it's green for a reason, btw), and want more digits?

However, that in and of itself is not a problem. The problem is how many more digits? I fix it for your current problem, you or somebody else comes back with 10Mu of something. Fix that, next comes 1Gu. And before you say that's ridiculous, I have built, and flown to orbit, a rocket with 1174400u of LFO (combined) (just shy of 9kt on the pad), in both 1.0 and 1.1 (same rocket, was testing 1.1's behavior).

I could go to SI printing with limited significant figures, but that will bring its own problems: rounding. The required and available amounts might look the same, but the required may show yellow indicating you don't have enough despite it looking like you do.

For now, the easiest solution is to have a smaller warehouse. EL's timed builds are there so you don't need insane warehousing to build large craft.

I have a similar issue with the digits displayed in the build menu, but with me it's on the amount required,This is particularly annoying as the number of digits changes as it counts down, this means I have to pause the build to find out how many more units I need to supply.

Suggestions:

make the display value an integer rounded up.

Change the font size (this would also mitigate the issue with labels being to long for the display area). You could make it user selectable with                    a  spinner or font  size drop box.

Add two more digits, this would remove the vast majority of instances.

In reality these are minor annoyances in an otherwise excellent mod that adds a great deal of depth to the game.

I agree something needs to be done. I suspect using exponential prefixes (k, M etc, as mentioned in my previous post) will be the best way to go. I'm rather glad the color coding is there (green = sufficient, yellow = insufficient but can build for now, red = problem (not used now, but used to mean unable to build back when insta-build was still supported))

I noticed that some resource names have problems, too.

* taniwha pines for the days of TurboVision. That was a nice application framework.

As a thought, could you truncate/round at the decimal if there are more than a certain number of digits?  Or have the top of the number remain in place while the wrap overflows the bottom?  Usually the decimal isn't very useful, but the beginning of the number is, so just keeping the top line stationary while letting it overflow down would mean the more important number would stay visible.