[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

So, I've been obsessively checking this, my absolute favorite mod.

However I'm a tad confused about it update status.
It's been sounding like it's nearly updated, however It sounds patchwork'ish.
I'd love to be a test dummy for the update if the mod isn't in some difficult to install state

1 hour ago, rasta013 said:

I suppose we can assume that the *.blend files can all be deleted in the various part folders? :D 

... There aren't any blend files in the release zip.

1 hour ago, TinkeringMatt said:

However I'm a tad confused about it update status.

It is currently fully updated. While there may be some issues (always the case), just grab the 5.4.0 zip via the download link in the OP.

2 minutes ago, taniwha said:

... There aren't any blend files in the release zip.

Hmmm...maybe because I pulled the zipfile from the GitHub release page instead of the OP D/L link...regardless, it's not a big deal either way. 

@taniwha can I assume that is safe to remove the wholes parts folder? I am already using UKS and I'd like to keep Utility category clean in the VAB ( also why do they show in utility and in its their own gategori EL'parts ? )  Also would it be possibile to configure the UI so that it do not popup anytime in VAB and in flilght scene?

brusura: you will likely want to keep the mallet and the stake (required for survey builds), otherwise yes, the rest can be deleted.

Parts show in both because the EL tab is pretty greedy: it shows any part that uses an EL module, so all command pods are in there too.

As for the build cost window in the editors: blizzy's toolbar will let you toggle it, but otherwise you'll have to edit your save file. Look for ExSettings and change "visible" in ShipInfo to False.

Edited by taniwha

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

brusura: you will likely want to keep the mallet and the stake (required for survey builds), otherwise yes, the rest can be deleted.

Parts show in both because the EL tab is pretty greedy: it shows any part that uses an EL module, so all command pods are in there too.

As for the build cost window in the editors: blizzy's toolbar will let you toggle it, but otherwise you'll have to edit your save file. Look for ExSettings and change "visible" in ShipInfo to False.

I see thanks :), but why do parts show in stock utility category and EL category ? 

PS: tryed to edit the field to False but it keep chaging it to true every reload

Edited by brusura

19 minutes ago, brusura said:

I see thanks :), but why do parts show in stock utility category and EL category ? 

The actual EL parts are still in utility because I didn't feel like taking them out at the time (testing reception, I guess).

21 minutes ago, brusura said:

PS: tryed to edit the field to False but it keep chaging it to true every reload

Hmm, if you're editing persistent.sfs without exiting the save, that makes sense. Try making a quicksave, editing that, and then loading the quicksave (saving/loading via the menu in the space center should work).

5 minutes ago, taniwha said:

The actual EL parts are still in utility because I didn't feel like taking them out at the time (testing reception, I guess).

can I edit some cfg to make them stay only in EL category ^_^ ?

5 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Hmm, if you're editing persistent.sfs without exiting the save, that makes sense. Try making a quicksave, editing that, and then loading the quicksave (saving/loading via the menu in the space center should work).

Yes that did the trick thanks!

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Also, did you just recompile on Windows?  Visual Studio?

Not that it matters anymore with the official release, but yes, and no. I compiled in Windows using taniwha's make + bash based build system with Mono under MSYS. Just modified some of the Makefiles to not rely on Linux features that are impossible for MSYS to emulate.

Just now, MaxRebo said:

Not that it matters anymore with the official release, but yes, and no. I compiled in Windows using taniwha's make + bash based build system with Mono under MSYS. Just modified some of the Makefiles to not rely on Linux features that are impossible for MSYS to emulate.

Thanks, but I was aimg that question at @taniwha

1 minute ago, MaxRebo said:

Well there's not a single VS solution or project file in the source, and you quoted me, so... :confused:

I did, was a mistake, sorry.

My impression is that the VS compiler is a bit more efficient that the mono compiler on Linux

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

My impression is that the VS compiler is a bit more efficient that the mono compiler on Linux

Could very well be, though a lot of this depends on the JIT runtime (which will always be Mono in Linux, and almost always MS in Windows) too, no? At least if my limited understanding of C# and .NET is correct. Either way, I can't imagine it would make a noticeable difference; EL code shouldn't be situated in or near bottlenecks (I think?)

And I don't think @taniwha's makefiles allow for total compiler switch customization, so building EL with Launchpad.dll compiled by Microsoft's CSC.exe will require a lot of manual labor.

They do allow for compiler switch: GMCS=mcs is the default. Only issue is whether the command line arguments are compatible. However, some of the build process may be problematic (extraction of version info via git and generation of AssemblyInfo.cs).

KSP's (or really Unity's) C# runtime is mono on all platforms, and a rather old version at that.

54 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Only issue is whether the command line arguments are compatible

That's what I meant by "total" compiler switch customization. And yeah, they're not even close to compatible.

And thanks for enlightening me on the runtime.

Edited by MaxRebo

Hi @taniwha - I was curious if you might know what could go wrong if anyting..  if two different mods used your mod?

I am speaking to MKS and Simple Construction.  My idea, was to finish up what I am doing on the MUN with MKS and then do something similar, but smaller scale on Duna using Simple Const. 

Thanks

hope to be working on delivering equipment and parts to the base area, then assemble parts tobuild up my base rather then try linking it all together on the ground. use lots less parts. tho could go with kis/kas to build platforms and assemble the base from constructed segments too... so much to experiment with

5 minutes ago, eonmoon said:

hope to be working on delivering equipment and parts to the base area, then assemble parts tobuild up my base rather then try linking it all together on the ground. use lots less parts. tho could go with kis/kas to build platforms and assemble the base from constructed segments too... so much to experiment with

Hav a look at this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46eg7tfco1a2dcm/Mintropolis Base %231.png?dl=0

this is on Minmus, built insitu using EL

The base is made of Ashpalt Tiles by Kerbal Hacks and is welded using the "UbioWelding" mod (the 3 landing pads are welded seperately and added in the VAB)

The landing pads also double as construction pads (no stakes) and the yellow lines glow in the dark

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhz1y3wb94psy2z/Night Landing %231.png?dl=0

This one is at 500 meters

https://www.dropbox.com/s/niw69t6sgbf22nx/Night Landing %40 500 Meters.png?dl=0

I also have another one of these on the Mun and one on Gilly with others to be built on every landable body (seeder ships are in transit now)

11 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I was curious if you might know what could go wrong if anyting..  if two different mods used your mod?

From EL's point of view, there should be no problem, but I don't know how the other mods will handle it, though I imagine Simple Construction shouldn't have any trouble.

11 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

That's what I meant by "total" compiler switch customization. And yeah, they're not even close to compatible.

There are make vars for the switches, too, but there's still the paths and libraries.

5 hours ago, Vandergale said:

but whenever I try to load a ship into the construction GUI it immediately materializes and shoots off at high velocity. Anyone seen this before?

Not those exact symptoms, but any time something like that happens when loading a ship, it is an exception being thrown by some PartModule or other addon. The way to find the culprit is to look for getBuildCost in KSP.log: that is the EL function under which the exceptions usually occur. The culprit will be in the first few lines of the stack trace below the ***Exception.

Eg, from the other day:

[EXC 17:13:04.909] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        PersistentRotation.Main.OnVesselWillDestroy (.Vessel vessel)
        EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
        Vessel.Die ()
        ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildControl.getBuildCost (.ConfigNode craft)
        ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExBuildControl.LoadCraft (System.String filename, System.String flagname)

PersistenRotation was the culprit in this case.

As the launch clamp issue was caused by EL not loading properly, and that has been fixed, there should be no issues with the launch clamps that can't be fixed by removing and attaching them in the VAB or SPH.