[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

For augers and a nice smelter, check the links in the first post. Some new containers are in the mod.

I'm rather inclined to prune EL's part list down to some basics to encourage others to create parts mods. That way they can have their own "companies", looks, and such. That said, I will be incorporating Aeon-Phoenix's smelter once I've got some other details sorted out (he did the new containers).

For augers and a nice smelter, check the links in the first post. Some new containers are in the mod.

I'm rather inclined to prune EL's part list down to some basics to encourage others to create parts mods. That way they can have their own "companies", looks, and such. That said, I will be incorporating Aeon-Phoenix's smelter once I've got some other details sorted out (he did the new containers).

I was at first skeptical of this idea but seeing the Baha drills take off got me on board. Minimalism for the win! Are those other details in regards to the power requirements?

Also, any rough timeline to the next update? And will said update address the explodey root part issue some of us were having? My Joolian outpost is stranded until I can build them a fuel depot...

I was at first skeptical of this idea but seeing the Baha drills take off got me on board. Minimalism for the win! Are those other details in regards to the power requirements?

Also, any rough timeline to the next update? And will said update address the explodey root part issue some of us were having? My Joolian outpost is stranded until I can build them a fuel depot...

Yes, power requirements and through put are the major issues. I've got a solution to the first and I'm doing some research into the numbers, but I'm still considering the second.

Can't give a timeline becuase one of the things affecting it will be that issue.

do I need kethane installed to use this module?

Yes, that module is available only in Kethane.

Yes, power requirements and through put are the major issues. I've got a solution to the first and I'm doing some research into the numbers, but I'm still considering the second.

Can't give a timeline becuase one of the things affecting it will be that issue.

Thanks! Take your time, I finally caved and got hyperedit to continue building my base. I'll burn off some ore and Kethane eventually to make up for it. But for now, on to conquer Laythe! (It doesn't seem to have the issue so I'm happy there.)

On another note, does anyone have LLL-style workshops? I've got some Module-manager'ed from the hull sections but it would be nice to have dedicated models. And where did the 1.5 tons per Kerbal weight come from? I only today realized how heavy the current workshops are.

Is there any tutorial or "How To" for the Mining / Smelting / ... part?

I watched an old video from Scott Manley where he brings a Smelter with an Auger, Solar Panels, etc. to the Mun, landed it on a Kethane field and started mining.

But when I do the same the Auger does not extract any Ore. It is attached directly to the Smelter, it has plenty Energy and the Auger goes into the ground. I already tried Baha's drills, same result.

What I'm doing wrong?

Is there any tutorial or "How To" for the Mining / Smelting / ... part?

I watched an old video from Scott Manley where he brings a Smelter with an Auger, Solar Panels, etc. to the Mun, landed it on a Kethane field and started mining.

But when I do the same the Auger does not extract any Ore. It is attached directly to the Smelter, it has plenty Energy and the Auger goes into the ground. I already tried Baha's drills, same result.

What I'm doing wrong?

Have you scanned the area for ore? Make sure you landed on an ore hex.

nuclearping: make sure you're in an ore hex, and also that your drill bits penetrate the ground.

Random Tank: look for ExSettings. The name is something about timed builds (gui doesn't match the sfs).

Random Tank: look for ExSettings. The name is something about timed builds (gui doesn't match the sfs).

Thanks for the reply; but I can't find an Exsettings... It should be in the ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads folder (the one that goes in GameData I mean) yes? Because I only have the Internals, Parts, Plugins, Resources, Ships and Textures folders, a EL_MM.cfg, and the readme and license; in the folders there is only .dll's, parts files, and a .cfg named ExtraSpaceCenters; nothing that says 'Exsettings'

I made sure i have the latest version of the mod, but I can't find it; am i being stupid and looking in the wrong place, or is it not there? :S

Edited by Random Tank

Thanks for the reply; but I can't find an Exsettings... It should be in the ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads folder (the one that goes in GameData I mean) yes? Because I only have the Internals, Parts, Plugins, Resources, Ships and Textures folders, a EL_MM.cfg, and the readme and license; in the folders there is only .dll's, parts files, and a .cfg named ExtraSpaceCenters; nothing that says 'Exsettings'

I made sure i have the latest version of the mod, but I can't find it; am i being stupid and looking in the wrong place, or is it not there? :S

It is in the persistent.sfs file for the individual save you want to disable it for. Open it with notepad or other plain text editor and use find to search for exsettings.

Hopping on as I am looking into making sure the Modular Kolonization System (MKS) plays nicely with EL as I expect a lot of folks will want to use both mods.

A pair of related and easy questions, and one request :)

First - can someone please let me know the approximate conversion rate (say, per hour) of ore to metal is in EL? Also what the ratio is. MKS is like 20:1 and 1 per day which I know is a LOT lower than EL, so I want the mods in line.

Second - currently MKS uses the same resource name and coloration for Ore as EL does. The only (minor) issue is that EL uses the coloration range from red through yellow, whereas Kethane and the other MKS resources shade a single color (Green for Kethane, Blue for water, Purple for Minerals). Is there any way we could, at some future release, have EL pick a single color (red, orange, or yellow - not all three) for ore? Right now it's a bit of a challenge finding distinctive colors for the different resources with a third of the spectrum taken for a single resource.

Thanks!

First, EL's smelters are insanely fast (I expect I will tweak this later), but currently the large smelter consumes 344.916t/h of Ore, producing 241.245t/h of Metal. The mass ratio of Metal to Ore is 0.699431 which is correct for pure Fe2O3.

A third of the colors, eh? Hardly. When looked at via HSV, EL uses only a thin 60 degree arc of hue. Saturation is fixed 1 and value is... well, I don't know because I think EL spends most of it's time outside the cone. Technically, EL is using just the one color... just in a different dimension.

I'm not saying I won't change it, but I suggest exploring your options further.

A third of the colors, eh? Hardly. When looked at via HSV, EL uses only a thin 60 degree arc of hue. Saturation is fixed 1 and value is... well, I don't know because I think EL spends most of it's time outside the cone. Technically, EL is using just the one color... just in a different dimension.

I'm not saying I won't change it, but I suggest exploring your options further.

How pleasant. I'll rephrase. Red, Yellow, and Orange are used by EL. Variations of saturation in that range are confusing. Yes, I think I'll explore other options.

Yep, I've made it a point to keep my numbers in line with what other folks are already using. Which means I get to do a nice re-tweak when TAC updates their numbers ;) Granted, getting modders to cooperate is generally only slightly less difficult than herding cats.

It is in the persistent.sfs file for the individual save you want to disable it for. Open it with notepad or other plain text editor and use find to search for exsettings.

Ahhh derp, of course its going to being in the save's settings, as progressive building is optional on each save, not to the game as a whole.... oops!

Thanks ExplorerKlatt and taniwha! :D

Yes, it's very easy. Here's an example I got from much earlier in the thread:

@PART[kethane_1m_converter]
{
MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Ore = 1.742
ElectricCharge = 7.5
}
OutputRatios
{
Metal = 0.699431
}
}
}

You change the resources and quantities to anything you want, then change the @part reference to the part you want to modify. Save that into a .cfg file somewhere under your gamedata folder (name it whatever you want, just give it a .cfg extension). Then (because you have the ModuleManager plugin installed) the ModuleManager will load it when KSP loads and add the KethaneConverter config to the part you selected.

I seem to be having difficulty getting module manager to recognize the code. is there anything I need other than a .cfg file with the @part code? is there a special folder structure it needs to be in?

also, in a strange turn of events, my ksp launcher has shrank to the size of a postage stamp as soon as I downloaded kethane. this is happening even in a fresh install.

Edited by klikkolee

I seem to be having difficulty getting module manager to recognize the code. is there anything I need other than a .cfg file with the @part code? is there a special folder structure it needs to be in?

Try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/rizwmog9zjkxlxw/OreMM.cfg

It is a ModuleManager config for adding an ore converter to the kethane converter parts.

I just made and tested it. It works on my game using 23.5. You can open it and tweak the conversion numbers to your liking.

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

can any 1 tell me how to use the recycling bins?

im trying to recycle my re-supply ships in orbit.

While controlling the ship with the bin, right click it and activate it.

Then anything that gets in the bin will vanish and get turned into metal, fuel,or whatever.

Be careful with your Kerbals! :D

How pleasant. I'll rephrase. Red, Yellow, and Orange are used by EL. Variations of saturation in that range are confusing. Yes, I think I'll explore other options.

It seems I got taken the wrong way. As I said, I am not unwilling to change it. though I admit that I'd rather not (but that's because I worry it might cause too much confusion). Also, I'd have to go through the effort of choosing a good color ramp (I think shades of rust would be good).

Now, if you were to be kind enough to supply me with a color-set... :)