[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Simple answer.... yes! Looks way better than the existing model. How are the attachment points? That was the real bug-bear of the original. I wasn't too fussed with it being big or heavy, just that it was so awkward to mount anything too. Odd shape compounded with poor attachment points around the thing.

Yep it can be a challenge with parts sometimes :)

FAloURX.png

Ok, I haven't tested in high orbit (it might make a difference).

I confirm weird behaviour of the Orbital Dock module. Being placed vertically on Minmus surface, it jumps up when building a ship, usually explosively colliding with said ship in process. Mods: KAS, Kethane, Kerbal joint reinforcement, Infernal robotics and a bunch of lesser ones.

Yep it can be a challenge with parts sometimes :)

I know, I've built rovers like that too, though early on in ELP's history. It's been adjusted so the Smelter can't be the root part now, right? Haven't checked that recently, but I used that a few times to begin with to make landers and rovers. It's about the only way the smelter can have three non-radial attachment nodes, right?

(EDIT: Here is a pic of a Munar Constructor from my AAR. My AAR thread thread is no-where near caught up to this level yet! I think it's over three game years behind this! The Smelter docked to the left is a slightly simpler version than some I've done in the past

Constructor.jpg

)

Edited by Patupi

Why are all the models for this mod pretty shoddy and pretty much impossible to design into a proper lander/station etc? None of them fit together in any meaningful way and they're all pretty awkward to design around, especially if you like me use FAR and stuff has to go inside a fairing, I've before basically model swapped the entire set with HOME/kethane parts.

Feels like the parts were designed around their real-world shape and function in a shop or something, not actually in the shape and function they'd have if used in space, if NASA made a moon lander that could drill up ore and process it, what would it look like? the mods models should look like that, and should be possible to combine in a smaller footprint than the current parts and in a shape that makes sense and fits in fairings.

Don't get me wrong I got 0 experience modeling, texturing and designing stuff like this, I couldn't do a better job myself, but still it feels like this mod could go places if it had models that looked as nice as and worked as well as kethane, interplanetary, b9 etc.

Why are all the models for this mod pretty shoddy and pretty much impossible to design into a proper lander/station etc? None of them fit together in any meaningful way and they're all pretty awkward to design around, especially if you like me use FAR and stuff has to go inside a fairing, I've before basically model swapped the entire set with HOME/kethane parts.

Feels like the parts were designed around their real-world shape and function in a shop or something, not actually in the shape and function they'd have if used in space, if NASA made a moon lander that could drill up ore and process it, what would it look like? the mods models should look like that, and should be possible to combine in a smaller footprint than the current parts and in a shape that makes sense and fits in fairings.

Don't get me wrong I got 0 experience modeling, texturing and designing stuff like this, I couldn't do a better job myself, but still it feels like this mod could go places if it had models that looked as nice as and worked as well as kethane, interplanetary, b9 etc.

Mainly because I have experience creating models as individual things, but not with making several things that fit together. And then when they didn't fit well I figured, well, that will make this more of a challenge to set up, so it isn't an instant cheat mode to put a launchpad on Tylo.

Edit: and the hexcans don't match the modelling style of everything else because I didn't make them, they were from another mod and originally just included as stand-ins until I finished my resource container models.

Mainly because I have experience creating models as individual things, but not with making several things that fit together. And then when they didn't fit well I figured, well, that will make this more of a challenge to set up, so it isn't an instant cheat mode to put a launchpad on Tylo.

Edit: and the hexcans don't match the modelling style of everything else because I didn't make them, they were from another mod and originally just included as stand-ins until I finished my resource container models.

Ok, everyone knows the models for this mod aren't the greatest. Well, it's not even the models themselves, just the textures, but I'm not an artist so I can't do a heck of a lot about that. I'm glad to see the new ore tanks. For those who keep complaining, you know you can fix this yourself...and easily.

This mod already practically requires the Kethane mod. What I've done is just added the resource conversion bits from the Rocket Workshop, smelters, and augers into the kethane converters and drills. I used the extraction and conversion rates from EL, but otherwise it's all bundled into a more aesthetically pleasing part that is a lot easier to manage. Then I did away with the hex cans, ore bins, smelters, augers, and rocket workshop. All you need to do is delete those parts folders and they're gone. I kept the aeon bins, as I think they fit well enough with the KSP aesthetic.

It might be a bit gamey to do this, because smelters are huge in real life, blah blah blah, etc. I'll lean on the side of playability here over realism!

I've asked Majiir if I can post the modified config files, but there's really no reason anyone with a bit of common sense can't follow the config file layout and just add the bits that are needed to do this themselves.

Now, as for the Orbital Dock and the Recycling Bin. The biggest issue with these two I think is the texture, not the model. Guess what? That texture is nothing but a square jpg. What I've done is used a screen cap of KSP to grab the grey color that seems to make up 50% of the stock KSP parts. Then I edited the jpgs in the parts folders so they are now just a grey square instead of the aqua and bright blue with the recycle logo. Much more stock looking. Yay!

No easy solution for the pads and runway though ;) Not unless one of you wants to retexture them. Personally I don't mind these as much as the items I modified above.

Edited by Vladthemad

Ok, everyone knows the models for this mod aren't the greatest. Well, it's not even the models themselves, just the textures, but I'm not an artist so I can't do a heck of a lot about that. I'm glad to see the new ore tanks. For those who keep complaining, you know you can fix this yourself...and easily.

This mod already practically requires the Kethane mod. What I've done is just added the resource conversion bits from the Rocket Workshop, smelters, and augers into the kethane converters and drills. I used the extraction and conversion rates from EL, but otherwise it's all bundled into a more aesthetically pleasing part that is a lot easier to manage. Then I did away with the hex cans, ore bins, smelters, augers, and rocket workshop. All you need to do is delete those parts folders and they're gone. I kept the aeon bins, as I think they fit well enough with the KSP aesthetic.

It might be a bit gamey to do this, because smelters are huge in real life, blah blah blah, etc. I'll lean on the side of playability here over realism!

I've asked Majiir if I can post the modified config files, but there's really no reason anyone with a bit of common sense can't follow the config file layout and just add the bits that are needed to do this themselves.

Now, as for the Orbital Dock and the Recycling Bin. The biggest issue with these two I think is the texture, not the model. Guess what? That texture is nothing but a square jpg. What I've done is used a screen cap of KSP to grab the grey color that seems to make up 50% of the stock KSP parts. Then I edited the jpgs in the parts folders so they are now just a grey square instead of the aqua and bright blue with the recycle logo. Much more stock looking. Yay!

No easy solution for the pads and runway though ;) Not unless one of you wants to retexture them. Personally I don't mind these as much as the items I modified above.

But what happened to the smelter-model that were so brilliant? they were posted in this thread... Second, I can model a bit in Blender / 3dsMax, but I don't have the time to really go into this matter I'm afraid... I can maybe make some fancy 'recycle bin texture' though.

OK, this isn't related (directly) to the current talk on models, instead about a different style of construction equipment for ELP. In the past a few people have, on occasion, commented on the fact that it's (comparitively) easy to launch the pad itself and get things running. Yes, getting things self sufficient is hard, shipping up the smelter, parts factory etc, but the pad itself is fairly light weight, and the new one is even fairly small packed. Is it realistic for a small ship to send a construction facility that can build ANYTHING in KSP?

Well, leaving aside how to limit such small, portable construction facilities, I think a larger, base-like system could be the way to go. However, how to ship something up to another planet when you're trying to make it seem like a base rather than a ship component. Making it too heavy to mount on a ship stops it from being used... mostly. There'll always be people who can strap enough boosters on to make ANYTHING fly, but you know what I mean. This of course means you can't lift the base. So, the old tactic of taking a base and splitting it into dockable sections. Send them up separately and dock them after landing on a planet.

OK, docking on planetary surface. I tried doing this a very long time ago, using sideways docking ports and either landing legs or undercarraige to lift a rover up so the ports would mate. I gave up on this approach, instead trying Damned robotics (this was before Infernal robotics came out)... anyway, more recently I saw that Brotoro had done something similar to my old method, but he'd got it to work by having vertical docking ports instead of horizontal ones. Thus since then I've been redoing my old method with upgrades and had quite a bit of success. No KAS required.

So, plan is a central base 'hub' with extendable support legs to stop it tipping sideways (see why in a moment). This hub has four arms spread out between the legs, and on the end of each arm is the equivalent of a senior docking port facing down. This hub (and all the parts docking to it) should be heavy, probably larger than an orange fuel tank. This makes it quite a challenge to design a rocket to take it off planet, but not insurmountable. The hub has docking ports and the launch pad itself, but none of the support gear. Docking to this are four modules. Two of these are just storage containers (one for liquids, one for solids), and the other two are processing centers (again, one for liquids and one for solids). Since even the modules will be heavy (perhaps not so heavy for the two storage units when they are empty of materials) even they will need quite a bit to haul it up into space.

The modules have standard wheels but I think they'd have to be welded on to the model to make sure the height is right. Similarly they also have undercarraige wheels welded on. These lift the module up when it's in position to dock. A bumper in the hub stops the module when it's at the right distance in so as long as the drive in is lined up right it should dock fine. The port should be sturdy enough to hold the module completely so it can retract it's undercarraige after docking. On my ships using the vertical dock technique I've noticed that when the ship loads physics if there is any difference between the ground heights between different parts that are docked together, the wheels bounce them. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but if the modules hang from the central hub it won't be an issue at all. This is why it needs the long support legs. If you dock one module on one side it would throw the center of mass off and tip it over. With the legs this long the center of mass would still be inside the stability square of the legs.

OK, now I've bored you with tons of words, try pictures! OK, it's just a rough scribble and I know the different types of module will look different in the end, but it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking of:

Construction Hub.jpg

Anyone think this is a viable possibility for ELP? If so the current models (or replacements) would be slow, underpowered parts for mobile factories/processors. The heavy stuff would do things better for a central hub/base. I'm not sure how you could restrict such mobile devices to make a significant difference between the two types of construction equipment without making it really annoying to use the mobile stuff. Maybe limit them to certain Techlevels? Maybe only nodes two or three below what you've currently researched? Not sure.

Anyway, thoughts anyone?

But what happened to the smelter-model that were so brilliant? they were posted in this thread... Second, I can model a bit in Blender / 3dsMax, but I don't have the time to really go into this matter I'm afraid... I can maybe make some fancy 'recycle bin texture' though.

Don't know anything about that, but haven't gone through every page here either :) Do you know what page they are on? I was only giving a quick and easy solution to the frequent complaints. If you're already using Kethane parts, which most people are otherwise you can't dig for materials, adding EL material extraction and conversion to the kethane parts seemed to be a no brainer. At first I was actually going to copy all the kethane items, so one drill would drill for ore, and the other for kethane, a different converter for each, etc., but it cluttered up the vab menus with items that looked exactly the same. Dawned on me why bother, just squeeze it all into one item.

As I said, it's not huge like the smelter, so it may be a bit gamey. There's no storage of parts on those items though, so you'd still need to send up the containers. Also if you wanted to, you could increase the weight.

Realistically you could use any model you find for other parts, you just need to get the model and copy the stuff out of the config for the nodes, but I didn't want to make a huge complicated write up for doing that :)

Edited by Vladthemad

Those sketches look really nice. I had a look at the new "aeon" parts included in 3.7 and they look really good. They should defidently replace all the default hexcans and smelter etc. I also managed to get the inactive aeon launchpad into the game but i couldnt get its fold out animation to work. Looks good tho.

Some unrelated comments on the default models:

The augers animations dont work and as said before tgey are really awkward to place. Yorik made an exellent drill model that could replace it but the model i have is not optimized so its tris count is over 6000 so the game wont load it. Im not a modeller so atm i cant fix that. Also the hexcans guy has a drill hes been working on that looks promising.

The rocketparts factory is probably the most awkward part to place and in terms of design. In my game i made cfgs for the big and small kspi electric generators and they look kindof nice as automated rocketparts fabs. I also made some retextures of zzz's "zboxes" to use for containers before i saw the new aeon parts. They look good for storing ore/metal/rocketparts. I also modded and retextured the kethane drills to drill ore.

Im thinking that the launchpad2 model might be possible to retexture so it looks a bit nicer since it has really cool animations and such. Im currently only using the orbitaldock with slightly altered textures (the way the texture map is applied to the model makes proper retexturing impossible)

Hope this helps. If i get around to retexture any of the parts ill be sure to post the results here for review

I think the launch pads are actually decent enough as is. I'm not exactly sure WHY they have attachment points well off from them, but apart from that they look about like what I'd expect. The flying one is a lil op, but it's effective when deployed. I assume it was designed to make it easier to place. The other one, once placed, looks like a big set of concrete beams, about what I'd expect for a no frills launch pad.

Also I saw Aeon's furnace. I could easily whip up some configs if Aeon made the model with the attachment points for it available. :) Although seeing that Aeon is the one who made the new storage tanks, I'd guess that furnace might end up in the pack soon enough anyway.

There is a simple part creator tool, but it doesn't really allow for much. Hmm...I wonder...I was reading about the weld mod, and supposedly it creates completely new parts based on what you built...so that instead of having 150 parts on your ship, it creates one part that is exactly the same to keep your part count down and avoid lag. This makes me wonder if it would be possible to create something that looks like a furnace and rocket parts builder with the stock squad parts, use the welder to turn it into one part, and use that part for the furnace. Anyone want to make an awesome stock parts sexy furnace craft file item? :D Also, do the rest of the parts. ;)

Can anyone tell me how to get this to function with the Spherical Tanks mod? I see that there are outdated configs for it that come with EL. I saw mention of using Modular Fuels (I think it was called) for this, is that the correct way to go? I'm just trying to sort out whats in the old files and what I'd need to get them working again.

Edit: Disregard. I was confused about the MTF and Real Fuels split. After some research, I downloaded the new MFT plugin and it added the storage tanks from spherical tanks. It took some more research to figure out that I needed to set said storage tanks up via the action group tab so it knew which resource was supposed to go in it.

Edited by Vladthemad

About the "aeon" parts...

The launchpad doesn't currently have any animations, thus it doesn't work and I didn't include it in the zip.

The smelter... I've been working on the balancing and so far it looks like it will take 10ku/s (yes, k. that's 556 gigantors, or 134 kethane generators) of electric charge. I need to confirm the numbers and then decide what I want to do about it (run with them (and adjust the other smelters' numbers accordingly), or fudge things) before making Aeon's smelter officially part of EL.

Now, as to the game-play itself. EL is not meant to make building stuff in space easy, but rather to make it possible. This means that equipment that is heavy or bulky, and just plain difficult (if not impossible) to get into orbit is the order of the day. Anything you can't lift, you build on-site. This is why even the ore containers are tweakable (I think they come full, though that may be a little silly). It's also why there are smaller versions of the smelter and auger: to make it a bit easier to bootstrap (actually, because 2 large hexcans of ore gave me just enough parts to build the necessary parts storage and a small smelter/auger combo: 11.69t ore -> 8.17t metal -> 7.35t parts).

I plan on making EL even more difficult, but hopefully at the same time more fun. Eg, no more instant builds, but builds will be progressive so you don't need to have insane parts storage (though having it won't hurt). Also, I'm working on something to make bases a little more stable than old nitroglycerin (I won't say what I'm doing there yet as it's still in R&D). I'm thinking of expanding the resources EL produces and ships require.

So... for those that don't like EL's parts, I have this to say. I recommend that you do not use kethane's parts (they're for kethane!), but rather, make your own. If you don't know how, then learn. Or just be patient. However, replacement models are rather low on my list of priorities, thus the suggestion to make your own.

The launchpad doesn't currently have any animations, thus it doesn't work and I didn't include it in the zip.

The smelter... I've been working on the balancing and so far it looks like it will take 10ku/s (yes, k. that's 556 gigantors, or 134 kethane generators) of electric charge. I need to confirm the numbers and then decide what I want to do about it (run with them (and adjust the other smelters' numbers accordingly), or fudge things) before making Aeon's smelter officially part of EL.

Now, as to the game-play itself. EL is not meant to make building stuff in space easy, but rather to make it possible. This means that equipment that is heavy or bulky, and just plain difficult (if not impossible) to get into orbit is the order of the day. Anything you can't lift, you build on-site. This is why even the ore containers are tweakable (I think they come full, though that may be a little silly). It's also why there are smaller versions of the smelter and auger: to make it a bit easier to bootstrap (actually, because 2 large hexcans of ore gave me just enough parts to build the necessary parts storage and a small smelter/auger combo: 11.69t ore -> 8.17t metal -> 7.35t parts).

I plan on making EL even more difficult, but hopefully at the same time more fun. Eg, no more instant builds, but builds will be progressive so you don't need to have insane parts storage (though having it won't hurt). Also, I'm working on something to make bases a little more stable than old nitroglycerin (I won't say what I'm doing there yet as it's still in R&D). I'm thinking of expanding the resources EL produces and ships require.

So... for those that don't like EL's parts, I have this to say. I recommend that you do not use kethane's parts (they're for kethane!), but rather, make your own. If you don't know how, then learn. Or just be patient. However, replacement models are rather low on my list of priorities, thus the suggestion to make your own.

Hi. Thanks for the responce. I didnt mean i want things to be easier. I love the idea of having to struggle to get these parts into orbit. And more resources required and time to construct is also a really good path to take. I had an idea of making combined resources like mineral rich rock, mineral poor rock, lavarock etc that output different resources and ratios in the kethane converter module. For something like a simplified version of eve onlines ship and component construction. One could also seperate the build requirements to each part on the ship but i fear that would require lots and lots of manual configs on your part unless you just use a scalar system with mass calculation etc like missioncontroller does. I already have made working configs for an expanded fuel resource mining system(made from the chart squad published a while ago) for kethane with overlay colors and all and with opensource container models made by zzz with retextures i made(also for ore/metal/rocketparts). if you are interested in trying it out i can send it to you in a pm perhaps.

In regards to the models its mainly the estetics that could use some work. I wont critizise too much because i cant model at all:) trying to learn tho. Keep up the good work. The plugin is working well

Edited by landeTLS

I was just going to give it the stats of the old smelter if I got my hands on it :D Size should be kept to the standards I think, just make the items heavy. I mean the parts need to at least be relatively close to those in KSP to be sensible. As an extreme example, the Hooligan Labs airstrip for your mod is just plain silly in it's physical dimensions, and breaks ones sense of disbelief during play. It's the mass that counts anyway, right? A steel furnace lined with brick isn't going to be light, no matter how it's shaped.

As for Aeon's furnace, those power requirements, while possibly realistic, aren't very playable. Of course I play with the 'near future' mod as well, so I could just use a nuke reactor or three to power that baby. But seriously, the ancient Chinese were using blast furnaces, without the requirement for all those solar panels. Perhaps instead of using pure electrical power for some sort of arc furnace mathematics, use fuel and oxidizer as well? I mean what more do you need for a blast furnace afterall? Just a big rocket engine in a container to melt and separate the ore from slag? Then we'd need a supply of fuel and oxidizer as well, which either needs to be mined or flown up.

Even if you make the items massive, once it's up, it's up. It's really just a one time issue to get the basic items into space no matter how heavy they are. Currently all you need to get up into space is a launch pad and a container of rocket parts and build everything you need on site. It's getting the resources up there that's the continual challenge, which is why I didn't feel too put out about adding the conversions and drilling directly to the kethane items. It's also easy enough to make them weigh more, or consume more energy to do the work, or make the drills extract at a much slower rate, all of which I will probably do as I balance game play with my dirty kethane hack. The hack is also just an interim fix. I think the continuing difficulty from the need to find or transport resources offsets the fact that I don't need to transport a bunch of large clunky items up into space. If you add in the need for fuels as well as ore for the refining process, you've created more difficulty too.

As far as creating my own models, I'd love to, but that's the problem...I suck. It's not that I can't learn, it's that they'd end up looking horrible! Hah. Gotta know your limitations! Believe me, if I could make decent models and textures, I would and I'd post them all over this forum. I'm competent enough to modify other's work, but that's about it. Making your recycle bin grey for example was within my limits. Hah. As I think I stated, I was already in the process of stealing models from other mods (I had actually converted a small and large fuel to electricity generator I found in an older mod pack to replace your smelters) and converting the kethane drills to replace the augers when I hit on the idea of why bother when kethane already has the stuff I need. Change the kethane configs and I'm done. On top of that I can't really share out models and configs I stole from other mods :/

Your work is greatly appreciated too, if us complainers don't make it obvious sometimes. If all people have to complain about is how something looks (now that things exploding on the launch pad has been fixed up! Hehe!) in your mod, you're doing a pretty good job. Making it pretty should be the last concern! Pretty graphics can never make up for good game play! :)

Edited by Vladthemad

so far it looks like it will take 10ku/s (yes, k. that's 556 gigantors, or 134 kethane generators) of electric charge

So either I can crash the game or suck all the Kethane out of the planet to build a puddle jumper? And probably also crash the game?

EL is not meant to make building stuff in space easy, but rather to make it possible.

I get that, but requiring more SOLAR PANELS than most people can put PARTS ON A SHIP IN TOTAL is going a bit overboard. This is not a matter of hard or easy. It's a matter of I can't spend 10,000 real dollars on a computer that can do it. Unless you set it so high so we'll never reach it and it'll instead poop metal out at a snail's pace which is not adding difficulty OR fun, just a(nother) reason to watch TV while KSP plays itself in the corner.

So I'll be able to watch more television. Maybe those movies I've been trying to find time to watch. What will I do with all these hours in the day where I won't be playing KSP? But honestly, I know enough about modding to lower the levels to something that keeps it fun for me, so go to town :)

It's very nice once you have it on the ground. But as a FAR player with RSS that launchpad gives me nightmares just looking at it. :P

As a player who uses stock physics, atmosphere, and planet sizes FAR and RSS give me nightmares. :D

Well, honestly the time taken thing would be nice if (and it's a big if admittedly) it can be operated when the base/vessel isn't selected or in physics range. I know other mods have done this quite well, though getting electricity costs simulated for this might be a problem. You'd also need an 'Alarm Clock' like notification of when your construction is ready, or when the materials have been mined to start construction of something.

Is there any clear advantages about using the Orbital Mass Detector instead of the MagnetoMeter, apart from the maximum altitude? Both scanners share the same scanning period, unlike the Kethane scanners.

I was hoping that the OMD would be able to at least scan a bigger area at a time

Being able to scan at timewarp is dictated by the scanning period of the detector. Same scanning period will result in both scanning as well or as poorly at any given warp. This can also be adjusted in the cfg for theses and the Kethane detectors to allow high warp scanning which does well to compensate for not scanning in the background.

Being able to scan at timewarp is dictated by the scanning period of the detector. Same scanning period will result in both scanning as well or as poorly at any given warp. This can also be adjusted in the cfg for theses and the Kethane detectors to allow high warp scanning which does well to compensate for not scanning in the background.

Cheers. Is there any way to increase the detection area too? Given the size of the OMD, it would be interesting to scan 2 units at a time