[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

1 hour ago, Thorbane said:

The ship I'm trying to construct doesn't.  The ship I'm trying to build from does though.  Testing now.

Edit:  It Worked!  Thanks!  I can continue my ships mission now.

Great!  Looks like someone already reported the issue on github. I added a comment with this video. Hopefully this can be fixed in a future update.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why reattaching KAS parts would allow things to work, other than EL is not detecting the attachment (need to check if KAS fires an event that I neglected to hook), but I very much have reproduced the issue and figured out what's up. Working on fixing it.

Best news this week, my work mates wondered what was going on when I stood up and said "Yes!" when I read your post.

Kerbal has been on hold for about 2-3 weeks for me now, so I'm rather excited to hear you're onto it now. 

Cheers! 

It sorta works, but there is a compatibility issue if you use it with any KAS parts @ the latest version of KAS.. so you can use the orbital construction and surface launchpads, but not being able to use KAS will limit it's usefulness on surface bases.. 

Taniwha is working on it but we'll have to be patient for now..

I have released version 6.6.0 of Extraplanetary Launchpads

Changes from 6.5.1:

• Update for KSP 1.7.3
  • Update for KAS 1.4 (fixes build window bug)
  • Update for KIS 1.22
  • Fix NRE when clearing selected craft
  • New feature: craft hulls

Craft hulls are a shell that is effectively wrapped around the body of the craft to build and are for giving a visual hint as to which craft is being built as well as its orientation and position in relation to objects around it.There is nothing inside a craft hull, and they are (currently) non-solid.

crafthull.jpg

If the craft hull is red, it indicates that things went wrong in its generation and indicates a bug (contact me). It will probably have holes in the mesh, too. If at some later stage the craft hull becomes a red box, this means the cached mesh data was deleted (don't do that).

2 minutes ago, taniwha said:
  • New feature: craft hulls

Craft hulls are a shell that is effectively wrapped around the body of the craft to build and are for giving a visual hint as to which craft is being built as well as its orientation and position in relation to objects around it.There is nothing inside a craft hull, and they are (currently) non-solid.

I have wanted this for like ever. THANK YOU!

One question, is there a way to see this shell before committing to building the craft? I guess you could just cancel the build but it'd be nice while choosing to see that it's going to clip something, or build inward into the construction port, or whatever.

4 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

One question, is there a way to see this shell before committing to building the craft? I guess you could just cancel the build but it'd be nice while choosing to see that it's going to clip something, or build inward into the construction port, or whatever. 

This is actually when the shell is generated and first shown, so yes :)

Right now, if you mistakenly delete the cache file (CraftHull-{md5sum}.dat in your save directory), there's currently no way to get it back without selecting the craft again (however, a red box (vessel bounding box) is shown in its place). However, because the mesh data is cached this way, one builder's cache file can be used by other builders building the same craft (the md5sum is of the .craft file used for the build).

Oh, the reason for using md5sum instead of craft file name is to handle edits of the craft file.

Edited by taniwha

@taniwha Would it be possible to add a toggle to hide the shell? I'm not finding it useful, and honestly it's been more of a hindrance for me. This is my first attempt using EL with 1.7.3 since the update.

Problem #1) In my case, the shell isn't remotely shaped like what is being built. This is a space station with a launchpad and workshop. The shell is weirdly covering much more of the station than the finished ship ever will, and it's not at all shaped close to the craft it contains. It also obscured docking ports I needed to use to bring up more rocket parts, you can see the nozzle of the resupply ship sticking out of the shell at one point.

Problem #2) When is the shell supposed to go away? The vessel finished construction, resources were transferred and the newly built ship was launched, the shell never went away. I exited and restarted. The shell stuck around. Sorry, I overwrote any useful logs before I thought to try to save them. 

To get rid of the shell I had to manually delete the .dat file in the save directory. Below is from a reload with the .dat file deleted so you can see how much smaller the bounding box actually is. During this run, the bounding box didn't go away after finalizing the build either. Here's the log from this one. I had to queue a new craft and clear it, now I have a different bounding box on the pad instead of this one, but nothing is in the build queue.

y95ezk2.png

The workshop and launchpad are from Keridian Dynamics, but with patches I updated to match the equivalent parts in EL. I've tested these in 1.6 and they worked identically to EL parts.

Edited by Tonka Crash

I'm seeing a similar issue with the shell not going away (and spawning in some odd places too when building on the ground) 

I found that when landing near my minmus base the shell would spawn near the lander when the base came into physics range, which looked very odd indeed floating at 2.5km above the ground.

If there was an option in the build menu to toggle this feature on/off it would be rather handy...

Thanks.

Hmm, I've noticed odd shapes on some ships, but they all had launch clamps (everything else seemed right). I should have put that debug flag (to dump the point cloud) in after all.

As for when it should go away: when you build and release. I thought I tested that but I realized now that I tested only with the disposable pad, which of course destroys the shell when the pad module is destroyed, so not a valid test. Oops, sorry.

I had debated the toggle: my thought was the shell would stand in for the ship under construction as an aesthetic thing. Obviously not :/. I'll try to get some fixes out soon (including that debug option!)

hiyas!
I have recently updated KSP again (1.7.3) and noticed when I add any recycler in VAB/SPH the log is spammed with

Spoiler

[LOG 21:39:39.337] [EL Recycler] OnStart: 
<snip>
[EXC 21:40:01.414] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ELRecycler.OnTriggerStay (UnityEngine.Collider col)
<snip>

I don't know if this is currently known already (if yes --> sorry!)

OT and not related to EL (except I try to make a small flat recycler :P):
Then I tried to add an own meshed part, apretty much easy mesh. I just start to understand Blender 2.80 but stuck with creating textures for that mesh with using your MU-add-on(latest). Is there any knowledge base I can use for how to handle textures for KSP? Otherwise I might get crazy by using Blender.

Thank you!

Edited by LatiMacciato

@LatiMacciato: I was going to ask you to look for the recycler's OnStart message, but you already thought of it, thank you :). That confirms what I suspected: the recycle field (trigger collider) is not being found. Is this with EL's recyclers, or another mod's? I tried the recyclers just now and they're fine here (and the files are older than the zip, so they should be the same as yours).

If the recyclers are from another mod, it may be that those recyclers are misconfigured: the recycler's trigger collider needs to be named RecycleField, or the name specified by a

RecycleField_name = transformname

line in the ELReycler node. Recent versions of hierarchy.py in my blender addon make it relatively easy to find the name: any transform with a collider component has a c beside the name (but doesn't show whether it's a trigger collider).

I've answered your texture question in the addon thread (not because it's off topic here, but because it's very much on topic there).

@Tonka Crash:: I have a suspicion as to why your shell is so oddly shaped: inflatable (or otherwise deployable) parts. If that is the case, then I suspect EL is grabbing the mesh verts in the wrong state.

9 minutes ago, taniwha said:

@Tonka Crash:: I have a suspicion as to why your shell is so oddly shaped: inflatable (or otherwise deployable) parts. If that is the case, then I suspect EL is grabbing the mesh verts in the wrong state.

I'm away from the computer for the night, so can't get a picture of the craft.The bounding box in my second picture is a pretty good approximation of the overall dimensions. It was a drilling and processing lander. Landing gear and drills were the only animated parts, both from SuicidalInsanity's Mining Extension. It didn't even have solar panels, only fuel cells for power. Radiators were also a fixed design from Nertea's Heat Control 

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

Is this with EL's recyclers, or another mod's? I tried the recyclers just now and they're fine here (and the files are older than the zip, so they should be the same as yours). 

If the recyclers are from another mod, it may be that those recyclers are misconfigured: the recycler's trigger collider needs to be named RecycleField, or the name specified by a 

RecycleField_name = transformname

line in the ELReycler node. Recent versions of hierarchy.py in my blender addon make it relatively easy to find the name: any transform with a collider component has a c beside the name (but doesn't show whether it's a trigger collider). 

First things first. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by using my example (without anims, just a basic part) of a new part I'm currently making.

Blender Hierarchy:

• Part name as NULL object including
    • "RecycleTarget" as NULL object
    • "RecycleField" as mesh object
      • does this now need an own ConvexHull collider?
    • part model name as mesh object
      • has a ConvexHull collider

Also do I need to change the current config for KSP?

current KSP config:

MODULE:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
    {
        name = ELRecycler
    }

MODULE:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
    {
        name = ELTarget
        TargetName = Recycling Bin
        TargetTransform = Target
    }

So the RecycleField mesh now needs a collider that needs the name "RecycleField" or must have an extra key "RecycleField_name = RecycleField.collider" or is the key in the config file mandatory?

Sorry for my few questions but thank you for the forum link for the texture topic, I haven't noticed this.
EDIT: shader presets, yes now I can think of proposing parts or creating my own assembly hehe :D

Edited by LatiMacciato

I have released version 6.6.1 of Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Changes from 6.6.0:

• Add option to display craft hulls. Defaults to off (controlled via EL settings in the space center scene).
  • Add option to dump craft point data: the data is saved to quickhull-points.bin in your current save directory every time a hull is created when the option is on (also, when debugging, a hull will be created every time craft file is loaded).
  • Fix craft hull hanging around after the vessel has been built.
  • Fix incorrect error indication on hulls.

@Tonka Crash: if you turn on the debug option, reload the craft file that produces that bloated hull, and get me the file, I can take a look to see what's going on. If you're worried about what's in the file, this is the "format" (for want of a better word): https://github.com/taniwha/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/blob/master/Source/Hull/RawMesh.cs#L67-L86