[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Would it be possible to switch over to CRP resources on a future release? This would prevent double materials and needing two converters when playing alongside other mods.

MetalOre -> MetallicOre
Metal -> Metals

6 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Would it be possible to switch over to CRP resources on a future release? This would prevent double materials and needing two converters when playing alongside other mods.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. However, that is for "stock" EL. In fact, it is unlikely that "stock" EL will get a more complex resource chain than it currently has.

That said, the purpose of the recipe system, including the recent changes to converters, is to enable others to mod EL's resource chain to extremes. Details can be found in the manual.

I am fine with the current resource chain, just that CRP already has similarly named resources and it would be nice to see EPL use those so as to keep the resources to a minimum between mods. :cool:    

- SSTU uses RocketParts to inflate all their inflatable habs and tori because it would fit in with EPL and not invent new unique resources.  
- USI-MKS changes RP to MK/SP when it detects EPL, but as SSTU also needs RP, I removed that patch in order to keep using RP instead. MKS uses CRP resources which means MetallicOre and Metals instead of the EPL resources MetalOre and Metal.
USI-ART's asteroid drill thingy spits out both MetalOre and MetallicOre.

Just hoping for unification at some point :)))  Only three letters need to be added :sticktongue:

BTW: I always love this mod for end-game use as I am soooo tired of doing launches to get what I need into space. Having an orbital/lunar EPL factory makes life so much simpler :)  And that recycler, that's a god-send :)))   I have patched EPL functionality into other parts to keep with the look of the rest of my ships, but the idea of EPL is just genious.

Spoiler

iss_nextgen.jpg

3 hours ago, Darthiir said:

Is there any news about updating this mod? It is not compatible with KSP now and I cannot play without this mod. It's just not the same. :D

@Darthiir It is compatible, CKAN may say it isn't but it does work and if you DL it direct it will work perfectly fine as you could see if you read back a few posts and pages 

12 hours ago, Kwarazi said:

@Darthiir It is compatible, CKAN may say it isn't but it does work and if you DL it direct it will work perfectly fine as you could see if you read back a few posts and pages 

Well I am doing a manual install  No (CKAN) of EL with 1.4.3 (and MH1.2 )and I get this error..

Thoughts on as to why this is happening? Also I will try to find the error log and send it to you or post it up.

Space_Coyote

Any thoughts on this one?

Is anyone else having a problem with the recycle bins when if you drive you old craft into an activated bin it starts to drain and dissassble only to break off some parts at the front and allow the rest to come apart randomly and drift away? Sometimes it works normally and disassembles the craft from the back to the front, but some times it goes from front to back shattering the craft and consuming very little of it.

Any thoughts on why this might happen or how to prevent it?

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

Is anyone else having a problem with the recycle bins when if you drive you old craft into an activated bin it starts to drain and dissassble only to break off some parts at the front and allow the rest to come apart randomly and drift away? Sometimes it works normally and disassembles the craft from the back to the front, but some times it goes from front to back shattering the craft and consuming very little of it.

Thanks!

I managed to figure that. Try to enter the recycler with the root part of that vessel.

example: You undock a vessel, try to move with that docking port what was docked to enter the bin. If that also fails, do a quicksave right in a a save spot before entering the bin then load this save and try to enter the bin with that docking port.
This always worked for me.

Edited by LatiMacciato

On 5/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, schlosrat said:

This is actually a carefully designed feature.

Why it happens: recycling bins are very stupid and randomly munch parts. How to prevent it: I won't give the answer directly, but the why is a hint (I hope).

On 5/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, LatiMacciato said:

I managed to figure that. Try to enter the recycler with the root part of that vessel.

Sorry, no. The part of the vessel that enters the recycling bin, no matter what, becomes the root of the vessel. Thus, how the vessel enters the recycling bin is mostly irrelevant (I imagine the exact structure of the vessel's tree can affect things, but the process remains random).

5 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Sorry, no. The part of the vessel that enters the recycling bin, no matter what, becomes the root of the vessel. Thus, how the vessel enters the recycling bin is mostly irrelevant (I imagine the exact structure of the vessel's tree can affect things, but the process remains random).

If that is so then something is not always working. Sometimes I undock a vessel where the docking port *should* become the new root, then it enters the bin and doesn't seem to be root because parts remain after the recycling process. Otherwise if I undock, then save a quicksave, load it again then recycle it, everything works splendid! :D

On 5/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, TheNosferatu said:

Hey, just installed this mod and loving it so far, however, I'm having two issues, one with the launchpad from "Kerbal Planetary Base Systems" not being recognized as a launchsite (I asked for help in forum post from that as well, since I suspect it's that mod that's being funky) and an issue with cancelling builds. Whenever I try to cancel a build the craft is being sent into an escape trajectory out of the sun... now I love FTL travel as much as the next person but I prefer to use engines for that, not cancelling builds :P Is there a way to fix this? I'm playing 1.4.2 btw

Also, if I change the craft in the VAB while it's being contstructed off world, will the ship be updated to the latest design upon completion?

I had teh same issues ass you. While the launchpad from PBS is easily corrected ( the module called ExLaunchpad  shoudl be callled ELLaunchpad ) so in teh cfg file the resoult should be like this:

MODULE
    {
        name = ELLaunchpad
        SpawnTransform = LaunchTransform
    }

The second issue i ran into, when tearing down builds or cancelling builds is more grave. Sometimes it crashes my game, sometimes the planets dissapear, and sometimes the number of materialkits i have in my building ship turns into NaN rather than a number.

Also when trying to builld from teh PBS launchpad my craft shakes and suddenly explodes very very violently. I have no idea why.

Edited by Nicky21

19 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

If that is so then something is not always working. Sometimes I undock a vessel where the docking port *should* become the new root, then it enters the bin and doesn't seem to be root because parts remain after the recycling process. Otherwise if I undock, then save a quicksave, load it again then recycle it, everything works splendid! :D

This is because the root part of the vessel does not matter. For each part of the vessel being recycled, the recycler code randomly selects a part, and if the part is a leaf part (no children), it recycles the part. However, it the part is not a leaf, there's a certain probability the part will be recycled, but if not, one of its children will be randomly selected and then the leaf test is repeated.

The probability of a non-leaf part being recycled (and thus resulting in leftover parts) is controllable (indirectly), but not by how the vessel enters the recycling bin. As I said before, recycling bins are stupid.

I'm using the disposable pads to add sections to a surface base, but I'm messing up the orientation. Like this

ipBIUbr.jpg

I guess modifying the "vessel" it's building in the VAB/SPH won't work because the vessel it's loaded somewhere in the EPL module of the savefile or something, right? What do I need to look for, prior to finishing the build, (in the savegame file I guess) to (try to) make sure the new part is created straight up/in the intended direction?

Edited by juanml82

I've had success using the micropads to extend a base. In fact I've created a series of modular base parts, each with one or more micropads on it, so that as I extend I can continue to extend from there. The process I've followed is to make sure the micropad is oriented with the red arrow pointed down and the part is saved in the VAB in the general (up/down) orientation I want it to appear and with the root part "facing" out the VAB door. The key is that root part has an unoccupied node facing out the VAB. If there is only one micropad on the craft, then it's on the side facing away from the door. Keep in mind the Red arrow is +X, the Blue arrow is +Z, Cyan is -X, and Yellow is -Z. In the VAB +X is out the door and +Z is toward the wall on the left (North) side as you face out the door. I place FASA 1.25 Redstone launch clamps under the parts (attached to the bottom node), and place the part in the VAB so that a Kerbal has room to walk under it (I use mainly the Planetary Base Inc parts, so doing this ties up the bottom node. I also place something like a light on the top node. The end result is that the only node that EL can select to attach with is the free one facing out the door in the VAB.

Here's a base I built on Minmus this way

ejk3Rur.png

Here's my modular workshop with an attached storage container for more RocketParts

X6m34Y7.png

Here's my modular base core with a nuclear power plant, command hub, and yet more rocket parts storage

21luN2g.png

Here are some craft files on KerbalX

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Core

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Fuel-Station

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Centrifuge

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Workshop

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Science-Lab

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Hub

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Habitat-Mk-I

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Habitat-Mk-II

https://kerbalx.com/Schlosrat/Modular-Base-Greenhouse

Edited by schlosrat
Added images and links to craft files

2 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Huh, trying to teardown the build invokes the kraken. I get this spammed all over the debug console

Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider

Here's the log file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iulzy76pnxf0a0u/KSP_-_copia.7z/file

Yep, it will do that. At least it definitely does in 1.4.3. Until the teardown function gets fixed I'd recommend doing a quicksave before starting any build. That's the only safe way to back out.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:24 AM, taniwha said:

This is because the root part of the vessel does not matter. For each part of the vessel being recycled, the recycler code randomly selects a part, and if the part is a leaf part (no children), it recycles the part. However, it the part is not a leaf, there's a certain probability the part will be recycled, but if not, one of its children will be randomly selected and then the leaf test is repeated.

The probability of a non-leaf part being recycled (and thus resulting in leftover parts) is controllable (indirectly), but not by how the vessel enters the recycling bin. As I said before, recycling bins are stupid.

Thanks @taniwha, this is good to understand and certainly explains why the observed behavior is being observed. What seem unclear, at least to me, is why this would be the desired behavior. Is there a game balance issue where being able to reliably and predictably recycle is bad?

Thanks

Hi, 

Just checking in to report the same problem as @Nicky21 and @TheNosferatu - adding an ELLaunch module to a part does not allow it function as a launchpad / orbital dock. 

Also, when tearing down / cancelling builds I experience a kraken-like crash. I'll raise (or add to) an issue on github shortly. 

EDIT: I found the answer to the first problem. Part modules are case-sensitive, and the ExLaunchPad module was renamed to ELLaunchpad (not ELLaunchPad). 

Edited by Kielm

On 6/4/2018 at 6:28 AM, Kielm said:

EDIT: I found the answer to the first problem. Part modules are case-sensitive, and the ExLaunchPad module was renamed to ELLaunchpad (not ELLaunchPad). 

Yeah, sorry about that. The live doc (linked from the OP), and the lyx source file on github have been updated to show the correct spelling (ie, ELLaunchpad).

On 6/3/2018 at 3:17 AM, juanml82 said:

Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider 

Is this specific to 1.4.3 or does it happen in 1.4.2 as well? Also, I noticed that there were a LOT of other errors earlier, though they might not have lead to the issue.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:36 AM, schlosrat said:

What seem unclear, at least to me, is why this would be the desired behavior. Is there a game balance issue where being able to reliably and predictably recycle is bad?

I did it because I could and thought it would make things interesting. Do note that it is quite possible (and easy) for you to make it reliable using game mechanics. It's not about reliability being bad, but about reliability being good and thus "expensive". TANSTAAFL.

Edited by taniwha

I think I may have seen this answered at the top, but I wanna double check before I start construction of a non functional space station: Metallic Ore is not Metal Ore and Metal is not Metals then? Meaning the shipyard will only function on Metal (no S) and Metal Ore (and scrap metal, obviously), right?

As a metalhead I am quite okay with this, I'm just checking as I think I may not have paid proper attention to it in my current preliminary build.

Hi all,

have a little question: In the smelting unit is a storage space for scrap metal, but I couldn't find any other containers for scrap metal. Is that a problem with my version 1.4.3 ?

TIA,

Joe

Edited by JoeeoJ

8 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I think I may have seen this answered at the top, but I wanna double check before I start construction of a non functional space station: Metallic Ore is not Metal Ore and Metal is not Metals then? Meaning the shipyard will only function on Metal (no S) and Metal Ore (and scrap metal, obviously), right?

As a metalhead I am quite okay with this, I'm just checking as I think I may not have paid proper attention to it in my current preliminary build.

What you've said is correct as I understand it. There are recipes in the EL CFG files that define what produces what. These get changed if you install MKS, but if you're using stock EL then you need Metal Ore to smelt into Metal, which is used in turn to produce Rocket Parts. Scrap Metal can also be used to produce metal of course.

1 hour ago, JoeeoJ said:

Hi all,

have a little question: In the smelting unit is a storage space for scrap metal, but I couldn't find any other containers for scrap metal. Is that a problem with my version 1.4.3 ?

TIA,

Joe

There are several mod packs that add storage for scrap metal. I'd have to check my mod list, but I know I've got some in the PlanetaryBaseInc mod. Also, I think you might be able to get configurable tanks that can be switched to hold scrap metal.