[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

@taniwha A couple more bugs, one fixable and one weird enough it's probably not possible to reproduce for debugging.

If I cancel a build the hull does not go away. I queued my problem craft to generate the bloated hull debug file and then cancelled it. I let the teardown complete and the hull stuck around. I did what I'd been doing on the previous release of EL and just  queued & cancelled a small craft to clear the bloated hull to leave a small hull on the launchpad. Going back to the EL Settings and turning off hull displays did clear the hull.

I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but after dealing with some other ships I returned to my station to start construction on another station part. The station acted as if an engine was firing retrograde with the orbit rapidly deteriorating. There was some phantom force acting on the station trying to crash it. No engines were on and I think a smelter had used all the fuel anyway. Using hyper edit or the cheat menu to set orbit just reset the altitude and the orbit would start degrading again. Going to the tracking station & back or even restarting KSP did not clear it. Hull display and debug was on.

What finally stopped the station from trying to crash itself was adding a ship to the build queue. KSP.Log that has adding ship to build queue.  Another thing was that when it loaded MechJeb was supposed to be active to hold the station's orientation relative to the sun, but on load the station started tumbling radically faster than should be possible and surprisingly didn't shake apart. It did not seem to respond correctly to mechjeb at all, so I shut mechjeb off and when to SAS attitude hold which stopped the tumbling while I dealt with falling out of orbit. After I got the station under control MechJeb worked fine again.

@Tonka Crash: thank you. The data says it all: there is extra geometry. Do you happen to know what it is? I suspect I might need to check for disabled objects. (Yes, I use blender as a debugger :))

floating-geometry.png

41 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

If I cancel a build the hull does not go away

D'oh, forgot about that case. Thank you.

As for the weird physics... very strange. I suspect something is hanging around longer than it should, and somehow becoming part of your station. Can you try with EL 6.5.1 (just edit the version number from the download link) to see if it's limited to hulls?

EDIT: Today is not my day. Nothing I wrote was posted, just the quote.

@taniwha I'll have to pull parts of the ship to figure out what's causing the hull to bloat. The extra bits don't look at all familiar and they don't follow symmetry of any of the parts.

On the physics. Reverting to 6.5.1 isn't really an option. I had issues with that version and recent KIS/KAS. It's one of the reasons I started a new save with the release of Breaking Ground and held off using EL at all until your recent update. If it keeps being a problem I'll try to troubleshoot it. For now I'm hoping it's just something rare.

I saw the prefab warnings, but the craft I loaded didn't use tweakscale and it's one of the older ones in this save. I know there have been many, many updates, so I'm not surprised to see prefab warnings.

Edited by Tonka Crash

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

On the physics. Reverting to 6.5.1 isn't really an option. I had issues with that version and recent KIS/KAS. It's one of the reasons I started a new save with the release of Breaking Ground and held off using EL at all until your recent update. If it keeps being a problem I'll try to troubleshoot it. For now I'm hoping it's just something rare.

Oh, yeah, ok. But if you can take note of what triggers it in the future, that would be great. In the meantime, I will keep an eye out for oddities.

I've seen this wired force issue too, it was in the last version of EL.

I seemed to have a force from the orbital build platform (s) on my station.

If I have 2 mounted opposite each other this force bug didn't occur, but a single one seemed to produce net thrust.. dumping the build platform module off my station caused it to accelerate as long as it was in physics range.

12 hours ago, taniwha said:

The data says it all: there is extra geometry. Do you happen to know what it is? 

I tracked my problem down to @Nertea's Restock Mainsail engine. I could get most of the bloated hull shape with just a Mainsail and a Mk1 Command Pod. I flipped through a couple other saved ships and it appeared to be common to ships with Restock/Restock+ engines. The Restock/Restock+ engines that didn't have problems were mainly those that started as Porkjet designs. 

I checked through other Restock Engines I use and these all resulted in odd hull shapes:

• Restock+ Boar
  • Restock Mainsail
  • Restock Mammoth
  • Restock Poodle
  • Restock Rhino
  • Restock Skipper
  • Restock+ Torch
  • Restock Twin Boar
  • Restock Vector

This is not a comprehensive list as I only use a subset of Restock/Restock+ parts overall (no command pods, probe cores, aero, antennas, fuel tanks, batteries, science). Not that I don't find the parts well done, but I tend to use several older mods that are more stock looking and many Restock parts don't blend in well with these. For engines, I'm usually deferring to MH & Squad revamps instead of Restock.

This is the worst case hull for a Mk1 Command Pod on top of a Restock Mammoth Engine. 

9xmcPul.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the MM patch for Hitchhiker's (crewCabin) won't work if reStock is running.  Does EL need to add crewCabin to a whitelist (or alternatively, add an MM patch to +part the restock model as well)?  I've tried both approaches and still can't seem to get the EL Survey Station to show up but that's 99.9% due to my incompetence at this kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the MM patch for Hitchhiker's (crewCabin) won't work if reStock is running.  Does EL need to add crewCabin to a whitelist (or alternatively, add an MM patch to +part the restock model as well)?  I've tried both approaches and still can't seem to get the EL Survey Station to show up but that's 99.9% due to my incompetence at this kind of thing.

You wouldn't +part the restock model directly I think - You want to either change the part creation to be ':AFTER[ReStock]' or whitelist the model, I believe.  Hmm.  (Or you could change the model if if restock is available.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 1:49 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

There is also Simple Construction

I've been using Simple Construction for years. I have a jerry-rigged version now on my updated 1.7.3 install and I'm seeing "Productivity: 0" on a craft that under KSP 1.7.0 using the same file had "Productivity: 23". 

I actually came to this thread wondering if I should upgrade the EL.dll to the latest 6.6.1 version of EL (rather than the 6.4 version I have in there now) and I'm hoping this is a quick fix when using the Simple Construction mod.

Anyone using SC with the newer release of EL?

UPDATE: After checking a couple things, I downloaded the updated DL "Launchpad.dll" and swapped it out for the previous 6.4 version in the Simple Construction mod folder. Checked on my craft, and now it's back to "Productivity: 23". I'll report back if I run into any actual construction problems using Simple Construction with EL's core DLL.

Edited by scottadges

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any trick to rotate a new construction (I am using pads) just before you finalize it ? I keep getting the rotation wrong and tearing it down and going back to teh VAB then going back in orbit, is a lot of time wasted in loading screens....

On 10/4/2019 at 1:13 PM, Nicky21 said:

Is there any trick to rotate a new construction (I am using pads) just before you finalize it ? I keep getting the rotation wrong and tearing it down and going back to teh VAB then going back in orbit, is a lot of time wasted in loading screens....

I'd +1 this. there isn't any way that I know of currently.

As an enhancement if there's a way to rotate the assembled part just before finalising the build (even if it's just switching it between 6 different orientations) this would be massively useful.

Edited by bunjatec

13 hours ago, EnderKid2 said:

I'm getting an error about B9PartSwitch, about what I assume is a tank type for the RocketParts resource. Is there a possible fix?

I assume you have something installed that I made. Send me your KSP.log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache

On 10/4/2019 at 9:13 PM, Nicky21 said:

Is there any trick to rotate a new construction (I am using pads) just before you finalize it ?

This is actually on my TODO-list and part of why I did the craft hulls.

Sorry I"ve been so out of touch, been rather busy of late.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, taniwha said:

This is actually on my TODO-list and part of why I did the craft hulls.

Sorry I"ve been so out of touch, been rather busy of late.

If you do add an rotate before build feature, also add an translate before build. Sometimes some part clipping is needed.

Right now my go to solution is to use DockRotate + the Konstruction Docking Ports. I place the construction pad on two such already docked ports so that i can rotate them wich ever i want then poof them.

The micropad won't support translation as it's purpose is to do stack-attach (when placed on a node in the first place). Rotation is already in for the orbital dock (github), and rotation/translation has been there from the beginning for survey builds.

However, due to the difficulty in guessing the orientation of a build for a micropad, rotation is likely very useful (I often get it wrong by 180 degrees), as would be the ability to  select a different node (probably only on the root part as the UX could get very nasty for selecting any free node on any part) as having to use an extra part to block a node for selection is not very flexible. I'm against translation for the micronode because it's meant for planned (ie, whether the build will fit in the designated space has already been considered) construction.

Edited by taniwha