[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Taniwha are you working on getting a better texture for the OMD or better connections or a re-sizing? Because frankly now it is an unstable eyesore on 1.25 and 2.5. I have tried struts but they don't seem to be much help so I just changed the distance of the Magnetometer on the configs.

They are from LLL, ChefCrunchyRoll would you be willing to share the craft files of the base parts? they look very nice.

In regards to the OMD from what I had read at one point the detectors were able to do both... I was looking for a simple way to scan from higher ranges, but I was able to find a part that connected radially that gave me a linear node so I could drop the kethane detector on top of that little outcropping.

*Helps if I ask the correct person... Sorry ChefCrunchyRoll

Edited by MrWizerd

Alskari: well, near future stuff (ie, hopefully in the next release):

• Asteroid mining (though I might get most of this put into kethane).
  • Kerbal experience: kerbal productivity will improve over time (at least for kerbals with < 1 productivity, still undecided on that).
  • Base foundations: create a small flat spot for your base. I'm still undecided about how to make it non-magical. This could cause some fun with mysterious hills. The KSC runway is mathematically flat, which means its two ends are higher than its center due to Kerbin's curvature (the runway is about 2.5km long, go do the math). Now imagine something like that on Minmus at 1/10 the size :)
  • More realistic metal->parts conversion. The old converter isn't bad but gets the wastage wrong, the new gets the wastage right but misses out on the conversion. My plan is to go back to 90% and then generate scrap metal which can be re-smelted to metal.

Interesting list you have there. A couple thoughts or questions if I may:

*Kerbal experience: kerbal productivity will improve over time (at least for kerbals with < 1 productivity, still undecided on that).
Will they get smarter/braver, or are you adding a 3rd stat?
*Base foundations: create a small flat spot for your base. I'm still undecided about how to make it non-magical. This could cause some fun with mysterious hills. The KSC runway is mathematically flat, which means its two ends are higher than its center due to Kerbin's curvature (the runway is about 2.5km long, go do the math). Now imagine something like that on Minmus at 1/10 the size :)
That shouldn't be too big a deal. Are you planning on making the "flatten the area" function do a 2.5km circle? I think 50 meters would be fine. Make it a circle 50 meters in diameter. If you want more, you have to make more circles which will be slightly tilted relative to the others. All in all I love this idea and didn't even know it was possible. :)
*More realistic metal->parts conversion. The old converter isn't bad but gets the wastage wrong, the new gets the wastage right but misses out on the conversion. My plan is to go back to 90% and then generate scrap metal which can be re-smelted to metal.

Not sure I'm all that hip on a 4th container type to forget to bring along. :D

• <snip>
  • More realistic metal->parts conversion. The old converter isn't bad but gets the wastage wrong, the new gets the wastage right but misses out on the conversion. My plan is to go back to 90% and then generate scrap metal which can be re-smelted to metal.

I like this idea, the others are good to, but just generating waste seems wrong, as metal can be refabbed, but the worry that 5thHorseman brought up could be solved possibly by having it shunt to the recycling bin or metal can, instead of another container? so instead of creating a new resource "scrap metal" we just have it create metal... that make sense?

As for having a flat place to build a proper base, it would be cool if there was a way to edit the terrain, or to be able to "sink" construction blocks into the terrain (basically turn off clipping and shove it in) this way we could build smaller spots that would work, AND this way you could also make the base undrillable if thats a word, so the "drilling rigs" have to be put over a hole in the base platform. I don't know if any of that is WAY more ambitious than KSP allows ... or Unity for that matter, but I am trying to learn C# so I know the answers to these questions and more.

• Asteroid mining (though I might get most of this put into kethane).
  • Kerbal experience: kerbal productivity will improve over time (at least for kerbals with < 1 productivity, still undecided on that).
  • Base foundations: create a small flat spot for your base. I'm still undecided about how to make it non-magical. This could cause some fun with mysterious hills. The KSC runway is mathematically flat, which means its two ends are higher than its center due to Kerbin's curvature (the runway is about 2.5km long, go do the math). Now imagine something like that on Minmus at 1/10 the size :)

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear about asteroid harvesting. I wonder if the base foundations aspect could be partially addressed by the in game planet editors. I really don't know much about them.

Part of my reason for asking is that I would like to offer some new models eventually. Before I did that I was wanting to know the scope of the project. My mind immediately began thinking of ways to make the process more difficult. One idea I had involved additional parts beyond the existing infrastructure; requiring different parts for different kinds of production. An electronics and circuitry lab for probe cores, engine assembly, tank integrity testing, all required for assorted projects. Not sure if you're interested in anything along those lines.

Here is a link to my reddit thread where I posted the mods and parts I used.

Hey ChefCrunchyRoll, not to bug ya about it too much, but is there any way you would be willing to release the CRAFT files for the main buildings and the crane?! I would like to see them close up and see how I may make my own in a similar but different fashion, and possibly rip off the Crane wholesale!

@Taniwha: uhm just a heads up NP (novapunch) doesn't work well with this... all the comand pods keep cliping through the trunks of, say, the thor lander etc. any help? i've already posted on the NP thread but i may as well post here incase there was a fix.

i've posted this before with no replys so i'm posting it again (it's been a few weeks) so any help?

Started playing around and ended up with this. A centrifugal smelter for low gee environments. Ideally I'd like for it to spin up while in operation creating the opportunity for some industrial accidents. Texturing, animation and such still needs to be done, mainly posting to gauge interest.

MMs7fCa.png

Started playing around and ended up with this. A centrifugal smelter for low gee environments. Ideally I'd like for it to spin up while in operation creating the opportunity for some industrial accidents. Texturing, animation and such still needs to be done, mainly posting to gauge interest.

http://i.imgur.com/MMs7fCa.png

Sounds good to me! It makes a lot more sense than dragging a regular smelter to Minmus.

I have two huge problems with this mod atm. For some reason the only thing required to build stuff is RocketParts, even though the crafts in question takes many types of fuel as well. However my main problem is that build progress seems to be stuff on 0%.

Atm the orbital construction vessel is controlled by a probe core. Am I required to being in a capsule with crew to make the build process start, and if so, does stupidity and courage play any role?

Edited by Sokar408

Yes, the probe core is the problem. You must have kerbals to get the work done. While a capsule will do in a pinch, it will be woefully sub-optimal. Your best bet is to fly up a workshop full of kerbals. If a kerbal's stupidity is less than half, then courage will not be a problem (thought it will still be a factor). Over half, and the the "wrong" combinations of stupidity and courage can be quite a problem.

Yes, the probe core is the problem. You must have kerbals to get the work done. While a capsule will do in a pinch, it will be woefully sub-optimal. Your best bet is to fly up a workshop full of kerbals. If a kerbal's stupidity is less than half, then courage will not be a problem (thought it will still be a factor). Over half, and the the "wrong" combinations of stupidity and courage can be quite a problem.

Wait, so, lets say, hypothetically, I'm making replacement parts for the smelter and workshop, does this mean, in the case of the latter, I absolutely /cannot/ have an unmanned 3D printer/manufactory/workshop? o__O;

(I think I may need to go learn how to get airlocks working >__>...)

Pezzhippo: do you mean airlocks in the part? they're pretty easy. Take a look at workshop.blend in EL's git repository. Note that the collider intersecting with the part is very deliberate: it's what makes the airlock usable. For best results, you'll need to install my .mu addon (so you can see the details of the colliders).

As for supporting unmanned operations: the code just doesn't support it right now, though it could. Problem is, I am rather opposed to unmanned space exploration in general, not just in KSP. And then there's the minor issue of figuring out how to balance things. That's not to say I won't use probes, but they are tools to get a specific job done (eg, small tugs), not for major operations.

Sokar408: I forgot to mention that the fuel sliders will be displayed later after you have built your ship.