[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

RoverDude: First, I was probably a bit harsh. Being given lame excuses, particularly those using appeal to authority, does not put me in a good mood. Sorry.

The preferred (though not necessarily common) term for any ship out of loading range (2.25-2.5km (hysteresis*)) is "unloaded". Of course, any ship out of loading range is also on-rails, but even the currently active ship is on-rails when time warping, yet all part modules run as normal because the vessel is still "loaded" (thus Kethane, EL, etc work under warp).

* Vessels load when you come within 2.25km and unload when you go beyond 2.5km.

RoverDude: First, I was probably a bit harsh. Being given lame excuses, particularly those using appeal to authority, does not put me in a good mood. Sorry.

I didn't intend "appeal to authority" so much as "what I expect more people to understand right away." Just like referring to any ascent pitch-over profile as a "gravity turn" is wrong, but people will know what you're talking about.

Couldn't be bothered reading 34 pages of junk for this, so: Question! Do I require the external mods and if I don't have them, what are the drawbacks?

You don't *NEED* any of the mods mentioned. However, if you don't have Kethane you can't mine for Ore, or convert Ore to Metal (or Metal to Rocket Parts). Thus you would need to fly Rocket Parts up to the EPL station.

If you have Karbonite you can install this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89774 and that will add converters and mining options for you (please use the cfg file I posted on the last page or it won't work with newer versions of Karbonite).

I would really prefer if construction would continue when the vessel is unfocused. My experience so far is that the energy supply is not really an issue and due to the fact that construction usually takes multiple days effects like eclipses don't have much of an influence. Given the fact that I need to put smart Kerbals in my construction craft I think it is save to assume the guys ensure that the vessel is kept oriented to the sun such that the solar arrays produce at least 90% of their nominal power on average. (Ok we are in role-playing terrain now given that unfocused craft don't rotate on their own, but who cares)

So my proposal is to allow background construction. If you want to ensure that at least a reasonable power supply is present you could limit the construction speed under this conditions such that no more than 90% of the nominal solar power is necessary.

Other power generation methods like the kethane powered generators may be more problematic so maybe only solar and rtg's should be considered. Even then it would be a huge comfort increase compared to the current solution and I guess for 'normal' vessels this should be a quiet good estimation.

shufflermuffler: I could, but it's not something I want to do. People have successfully mined Kethane from Laythe's oceans, so ore would be no different. The method involved modifed KAS winches (for 2000m lengths) and some very dense parts (KSP's water is a little odd).

For some reason the download is giving me a corrupt zip. I've tried to download a fresh copy, but the corrupt persists.

Edit, figured it out, my save location wasn't agreeing to being accessed by my unzipper while downloading the mod

Edited by Jivaii

is there any way of changing the orientation of the spawned vehicle on the "Orbital" launchpad.

i want to use it in a ground based initially unmanned base.

most things built in the SPH are spawned "belly attached" whereas VAB constructed are "Tail attached".

if there was a way of changing the orientation after spawning but before releasing that would be nice.

TL;DR

change rotation after spawning

@Tabris

Isn't simply rotating stuff in editor working? I think it did worked for me :P

It's useful to keep "EPL" versions of craft saved anyways. Like without fuel lines/struts and with endpoints in KAS container (irrelevant if these work now, sorry if I'm wrong).

Tabris: Holjer horses, something even better is coming RSN (I have all the core functionality working). It is perfect (actually, exclusive) to landed operations, but comes at the expense of requiring KAS and Kerbals.

dzikakulka: Struts and fuel-lines on sub-assemblies are not work working yet, but they should be working on VAB/SPH craft.

It seems to have stopped working since the 0.25 update. I can see the parts and build them in the VAB, but when trying to select a vehicle to build from the pads, when i select a vessel, it does nothing. Anyone else having this problem?

i'll have to wait a little longer to start working on "The Ark" then.

EDIT:

i'll have to wait until my SSTO lands. it's been gliding for about the last hour (+-10min) and i'm still 2350m and 23.8m/s

EDIT2:

ended up Gliding for 3 hours.

Edited by Tabris

Thanks Taniwha :) EL also features prominently in my current SSTO-only game. Four trips to deposit the modules to a shipyard in Minmus orbit, and at least a dozen builds form the shipyard so far! Getting ready to build a stupidly huge B9 HX shipyard next... thank goodness for procedural builds, the shipyard is like 750 tons dry mass :) Only ten or so mining roundtrips...

Looking forward to the improved surface construction that you're working on. I'm seriously bored of landing, mining, launching, and docking again. Think I might just cheat and turn the beautiful B9 reactor into a Karbonite & Ore generator...

I'm gonna see if I can make something that makes EPL spread resources the way Karbonite does. So it is everywhere but there are certain hotspots. Correct me if there isn't anyone else who has done this?

On the first post, there is a link to a karbonite adaptation to EPL. Here's the link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89774

I'm gonna see if I can make something that makes EPL spread resources the way Karbonite does. So it is everywhere but there are certain hotspots. Correct me if there isn't anyone else who has done this?

If you get the EPL->Karbonite conversion and its dependencies, you'll have ore extraction using the same modules that Karbonite uses. Heads up that the conversion needs an unofficial update for the last couple of Karbonite versions (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89774-24-2-%28V-16-7%29-ExtraPlanetary-Launchpads%28EPL%29-Karbonite-Adaptation-%289-10-14%29?p=1446360&viewfull=1#post1446360 )

Edited by undercoveryankee