[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Hello. I was trying to use this mod with MKS. I have both installed, but now when I try to build anything in the VAB or SPH, it brings up what appears to be a resource window for this mod, with no way to configure or close the readout. I don't really need the info for every ship, so I'd like to keep that window closed until I specifically need it. But I'm not seeing a stock toolbar icon or any way to change the settings. Am I missing something somewhere, or is this just how the mod is intended to work?

Is that a required mod now? It's not listed in the requirements on the front page. Is there some way I can delete the window instead? My copy of KSP is reliably crashing due to memory overflow every hour or so now, without installing a mod I don't want. I'd rather do without the readout, if that's possible.

Sunclover: it is not required, but it is highly recommended (and is in the recommended list).

As to disabling the window: edit your persistent.sfs (make a backup first), and look for ExSettings. Set visible field of the ShipInfo block to False. Or if you're in-game, make a quicksave and edit quicksave.sfs (or whatever you named it if using alt-f5/alt-f9).

Thank you for the reply. I'll try that. As a possible future feature request though, it might be nice to have the ability to open and close that info window without using a third part mod. Most ships will be neither shipyard constructors nor supply ships for one, and it shouldn't be necessary to install a completely different mod just to close a window, in my opinion. I don't know anything about coding though, so I'm not going to pretend "it would be simple" to add.

Can someone explain to me how I can use the survey stakes? I have a ship with a workshop, drill and smelter at Minmus and I thought I could just place a survey stake outside and build ships there. Is this a bug or have I missed something? Maybe I placed the stake wrong? I just dropped it of the inventory from my Kerbal.

Can someone explain to me how I can use the survey stakes? I have a ship with a workshop, drill and smelter at Minmus and I thought I could just place a survey stake outside and build ships there. Is this a bug or have I missed something? Maybe I placed the stake wrong? I just dropped it of the inventory from my Kerbal.

You'll need KIS/KAS (which im assuming you have since you said your kerbals have an inventory)

You'll also need a Mallet (this part comes with EPL) You equip the mallet from the kerbals invetory in your kerbals hands, much like the KIS screwdriver/Wrench (has to be an engineer btw)

Then you just pull the stake out of the ground and attach it to the ground (hold X, which placing it on the ground to surface attach the stake at the desired location)

It gets more complicated from there if you want to place you ship at a desired height/orintation etc. (right click a placed stake and you can specify which stake is x/y/z etc) My recommendation, always quicksave before completing a build and you can place with the stake placement that way.

You'll need KIS/KAS (which im assuming you have since you said your kerbals have an inventory)

You'll also need a Mallet (this part comes with EPL) You equip the mallet from the kerbals invetory in your kerbals hands, much like the KIS screwdriver/Wrench (has to be an engineer btw)

Then you just pull the stake out of the ground and attach it to the ground (hold X, which placing it on the ground to surface attach the stake at the desired location)

It gets more complicated from there if you want to place you ship at a desired height/orintation etc. (right click a placed stake and you can specify which stake is x/y/z etc) My recommendation, always quicksave before completing a build and you can place with the stake placement that way.

Sadly I still can't get it to work, I attached it now to the ground with my engineer kerbal, but I still can't build stuff at the survey stake. Do I need to connect the stake with the ship somehow?

Sadly I still can't get it to work, I attached it now to the ground with my engineer kerbal, but I still can't build stuff at the survey stake. Do I need to connect the stake with the ship somehow?

Do you have a survey station landed as well?

rabidninjawombat: I'm pretty certain the mallet is usable by anyone (it's certainly the intention).

coldice4: Sorry, I didn't notice your post earlier. rabidninjawombat has you covered for the basics of using stakes, but there is a writeup on direction stakes linked from the OP. There's no writeup for bounds stakes, but there is small discussion just before the 5.1.0 release notes. I plan on doing a user's guide (yeah, KIS compatible, even) when I get some time.

[edit]Oh, yeah, survey station is necessary, too :) (thanks, goldenpsp).

Question/request:

Is there a way to hide/display the EL dialogue in the VAB? It's huge and kind of clutters the screen unnecessarily. I'm not using blizzy's so if the answer lies there could there also be a stock solution?

Other than that, ORBITAL CONSTRUCTION IS ALL I EVER HOPED AND DREAMED OF!

Question/request:

Is there a way to hide/display the EL dialogue in the VAB? It's huge and kind of clutters the screen unnecessarily. I'm not using blizzy's so if the answer lies there could there also be a stock solution?

Other than that, ORBITAL CONSTRUCTION IS ALL I EVER HOPED AND DREAMED OF!

Sadly Blizzy is pretty much the answer if you want to be able to toggle it on and off. I had managed to remove my need for Blizzy with the exception of this one button.

Haha way to answer my questions here and on USI thread! You've got the forums on lock.

I would assume this is not the first time someone has raised this issue? Is it worth logging a Github Issue or has taniwha already shut the idea down?

EDIT: Went ahead and submitted it

Edited by Businfu

Haha way to answer my questions here and on USI thread! You've got the forums on lock.

I would assume this is not the first time someone has raised this issue? Is it worth logging a Github Issue or has taniwha already shut the idea down?

EDIT: Went ahead and submitted it

Taniwha has pretty much said he isn't removing blizzy iirc

Kablamo2014: Despite its name stock "Ore" is not suited to metal extraction: it is too light (only 2t/m3). Hematite (a common iron ore) is 5.3t/m3. Even bauxite (aluminum ore) is 3t/m3. Bauxite might be explainable via sphere packing, but aluminum isn't generally useful (good for low-temp structural stuff, but you wouldn't use it in a rocket engine).

goldenpsp, Businfu: Indeed, I have no plans of removing blizzy's toolbar. The stock toolbar is ugly, in your face, always there, and the usability is questionable. Blizzy's isn't any better for looks, but at least its size and position can be adjusted, and it can be made to hide off-screen when not needed.

That said, I'm willing to accept a pull-request (with quality conditions).

tja: you don't need to place stakes before you begin building.

That said...

Booots, tja: I have good news, bad news and more good news about stakes:

good: I have reproduced the problem with stakes falling over.

bad: it's not my bug, but KospY's

good: it's fixed in KIS 1.1.5 (be sure to update KAS too, if you have it installed)

Hi, resurrecting this old post because I'm experiencing exactly this issue (attached stakes falling over and exploding), despite running KIS 1.2.0. Are you sure it's fixed?

Hey Taniwha, I'm just letting you know that I still get this exception thrown when I have KIS containers (and perhaps command pod inventory) and I undo an action in the editor.

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentsInChildren[Part] (Boolean includeInactive) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentsInChildren[Part] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExShipInfo+<WaitAndRebuildList>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Hi, resurrecting this old post because I'm experiencing exactly this issue (attached stakes falling over and exploding), despite running KIS 1.2.0. Are you sure it's fixed?

They can't even attached to the ground anymore (after update to KIS 1.2.0)

thegreatgonz, Jasmir: Obviously, EL needs to be updated to KIS 1.2.0. I assure you, it worked fine before KIS updated as I have done a lot of stake planting.

smjjames: ugh, that looks like it may be "fun" to figure out :/.

They can't even attached to the ground anymore (after update to KIS 1.2.0)

KIS updated how it recognizes that a part can be static attached. You need to add allowStaticAttach = 1 to the node for ModuleKISItem. MeCripp figured this out while messing around with Pathfinder. Thanks again MeCripp :)

Unrelated note. If I use the stakes to define an area to build rockets and then land a rocket in that area, can I recycle said rocket?

Edited by Angel-125