[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

4 minutes ago, taniwha said:

I've had survey stakes survive multiple visits to the site (along with multiple time-warps with them loaded), and I've had other stakes that survived maybe one or two scene loads. While I have determined that the stake getting nailed to space while above the ground is the cause, I have yet to determine why the stake is off the ground in the first place. KIS does properly put the part in contact with the ground before nailing the part to space, but that's at initial placement. I have yet to look into what it does on scene load.

As a side-note, with the help of getsome2030 (twitch name), I have determined why vessels with launch clamps get pushed into the ground causing the launch clamps to twich when coming out of time-warp. In his particular tests, he had a base on legs (my DGT-NoLaunchClamp (cf Diamond Grid)) with angled supports going from the clamps to the core of his base. The core consisted of various large resource tanks (including Metal (very dense) and MetalOre (rather dense). The root part of the vessel was attached to the tanks. The mass of the tanks was pulled down by gravity, bending the joints in the angled support. This is all find and dandy (and what one would expect physically), but... when KSP packs a vessel (ie, puts it on rails when going into time-warp or when you save your game), KSP straightens out those joints (very easy to see with a noodle rocket in orbit that is busy flexing and you start warping). The problem is that when KSP straightens those joints, it does so relative to the root part, which has been pulled down from its unstressed position. This means that the on-rails positions of the launch clamp bases are also moved down... into the ground. Thus, when the vessel is unpacked (coming out of time warp or otherwise loading the scene) and the colliders are enabled, the colliders are in the ground and PhysX attempts to force them out, but the launch clamps have been nailed to space and thus cannot move. This leads to an irresistible force acting on an unmovable object and thus interesting things occur (such as kraken strikes). I am uncertain, but I suspect it may be a similar story for large vessels that have not been tied down via launch clamps getting thrown into space when unpacked (remember that irresistible force, but it's now acting on a movable object). It might even be a similar thing for wheels and docking.

Until something can be done about the "incorrect" straightening of the joints (assuming anything can be done, but I do have some ideas), there is a workaround that getsome2030 verified: ensure the root part of the base cannot be pulled down by the massive parts. There are various ways to accomplish this. eg, root in direct contact with the ground (includes making one of the launch clamps root), massive parts in direct contact with the ground, root well supported and massive parts on separate supports connected to the the root part's section via (semi)flexible links (KAS's resource pipe is great for this as it is fully flexible).

Thank you very much for this clear and detailed explanation!

I have released version 6.3.4 of Extraplanetary Launchpads. Note that this is still for KSP 1.5.1 (enough bug fixes and enough people still using 1.5.1 to warrant not updating to 1.6 yet).

Changes from 6.3.3:

• Hopefully fix vessel productivity updates: the work net now gets checked within a frame or two of kerbal transfer events.
  • EL production (smelters and rocket workbench) meet ISRU requests (krakatoa)
  • Constant efficiency converters no longer erroneously say "at 50% efficiency".
  • Control reference part now saves its pushed control reference (togging continues to work properly after scene change).
  • The micropad can now be renamed by kerbals on EVA.
  • Launch clamp ground-finding logic fixed to always use the clamp's shortest length instead of editor length as the starting point.
  • Handling of stock launch clamps when building clamped vessels fixed.
  • Acetylene hose moved out of oxygen tank on the rocket workbench.
  • Landing pad no longer cross-feeds.

Edited by taniwha

2 hours ago, taniwha said:

I have released version 6.3.4 of Extraplanetary Launchpads. Note that this is still for KSP 1.5.1 (enough bug fixes and enough people still using 1.5.1 to warrant not updating to 1.6 yet).

Changes from 6.3.3:

• Hopefully fix vessel productivity updates: the work net now gets checked within a frame or two of kerbal transfer events.
  • EL production (smelters and rocket workbench) meet ISRU requests (Khalendros)
  • Constant efficiency converters no longer erroneously say "at 50% efficiency".
  • Control reference part now saves its pushed control reference (togging continues to work properly after scene change).
  • The micropad can now be renamed by kerbals on EVA.
  • Launch clamp ground-finding logic fixed to always use the clamp's shortest length instead of editor length as the starting point.
  • Handling of stock launch clamps when building clamped vessels fixed.
  • Acetylene hose moved out of oxygen tank on the rocket workbench.
  • Landing pad no longer cross-feeds.

Hey Taniwha, looks like my little patch didn't make it into the release, at least not that I can find, so the ISRU parts still won't count for folks. Just so everyone else knows, it works on all contracts accepted after it is first included. Any active contracts will still ignore the smelters and rocket part builder.

1 hour ago, Krakatoa said:

Hey Taniwha, looks like my little patch didn't make it into the release, at least not that I can find, so the ISRU parts still won't count for folks. Just so everyone else knows, it works on all contracts accepted after it is first included. Any active contracts will still ignore the smelters and rocket part builder.

ISRU in second dot point "EL production (smelters and rocket workbench) meet ISRU requests (Khalendros)" ???

Yeah, oops, I forgot to edit the installed files list. For how, here's contract config done by @Krakatoa (with some tweaks to add resource scanners to the scanners request, not yet tested, though)

2 hours ago, Getsome2030 said:

ISRU in second dot point "EL production (smelters and rocket workbench) meet ISRU requests (Khalendros)" ???

I couldn't quite remember who had done the patch for me (github name was different and I didn't think to look in the file). I've corrected the credit.

Edited by taniwha

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Yeah, oops, I forgot to edit the installed files list. For how, here's contract config done by @Krakatoa (with some tweaks to add resource scanners to the scanners request, not yet tested, though)

I couldn't quite remember who had done the patch for me (github name was different and I didn't think to look in the file). I've corrected the credit.

Appreciated! That's the trouble with using different names around the internet. Either is acceptable and both provide anonymity.

• 2 weeks later...

I have released version 6.3.5 of Extraplanetary Launchpads. This is expected to be the last release for KSP 1.5.

Changes from 6.3.4:

• Add the scanners to satellite contracts (yeah, they're meh, but...)
  • Actually include @Krakatoa's contract patch.
  • Fix a hang (KSP quite dead) with multi-resource builds caused by a resource being unavailable.
  • The craft being built is now shown in the completed state (before "finalize" is hit). NOTE: this is just the name of the vessel in the build window, not the vessel itself at the build location (that is a WIP feature that I hope to get done soon). Thanks to @Getsome2030 for alerting me to the ambiguity.

I will now concentrate on ensuring EL works in 1.6.1.

NOTE: @Teslamax found an issue where EL's micropad gets the position and orientation wrong when the built craft's root part has switchable attach nodes (he was using a B9 truss segment as his root part). He found that attaching a small stock structural panel to the desired node, offsetting it to be flush with the desired root node and setting the panel as root gave him the desired result. I plan on making the micropad's node selection more robust as my play-testing has shown that the automatic selection leaves a lot to be desired even when it does work.

Edited by taniwha

Hot on the heals of Extraplanetary Launchpads 6.3.5 comes 6.4.0... with support for KSP 1.6.1.

Changes from 6.3.4:

• Update version check for 1.6.1
  • Part variants (stock!) that move around attach nodes supported (actual switched nodes or B9 part switcher not yet supported).
  • Fixed missing bulkheadProfiles: EL will not "crash" the editor part filter.
Edited by taniwha

On 1/24/2019 at 2:02 AM, taniwha said:

Hot on the heals of Extraplanetary Launchpads 6.3.5 comes 6.4.0... with support for KSP 1.6.1.

Changes from 6.3.4:

• Part variants (stock!) that move around attach nodes supported (actual switched nodes or B9 part switcher not yet supported).

Is this version 1.5.1 compatible?

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

9udoVOW.png

So I built this probe and it is supposed to have Enriched Uranium as the fuel for the reactor that is built in to the engine.  I have Enriched Uranium on the station to load up.  If you look in the middle of the context panel you will see the reactor fuel is Plutonium TRW.  I don't know how to change that.  Once the craft is launched you can't change it and you can't change it here.

If I launch this probe from the KSP it has Enriched Uranium as the fuel for the reactor and the engine works as it's supposed to.

This engine is from KSPI-Extended.

@snoopydude: EL does not know anything about these mods (and is written in such a way that it should not have to). When it comes to resources that cannot be transferred, the mods defining those resources need to provide resource recipes specifying how the resources are to be built. If the configuration of the part itself is incorrect, then the part module in question is not configuring itself in the correct manner. For parts to work correctly with EL, their part modules need to have configured themselves by the time their OnStart() functions have completed, otherwise EL will not see the part's mass or resources correctly.

On 1/23/2019 at 11:02 PM, taniwha said:

Changes from 6.3.4:

Please note that the VERSION file contains this:

"KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":5,"PATCH":1}

Should this be "MINOR":6 instead?

It probably should, but it's automatically generated which makes me think that I build EL against 1.5.1 by mistake. I was so much switching between the two (testing various mod compatibility) that it would not surprise me if that was the case. It would also imply that 6.4.0 works on either.

Hi, not sure If this is in the right place, but I have an issue with exploding stakes!

I'm running 1.6.1 have the latest EL build (6.4.0) and the latest KIS (1.18)

on entering timewarp (non physics) I can almost always explode the 2 stakes I had previously placed. the only place that they survive is on minmus when placed on the flats..

Any ideas? or is this a KIS issue?

Your stakes exploding is actually not related to EL, and only loosely related to KIS. The problem likes in how KSP determines the height at which a vessel (in this case EL's stake) should be when loading a scene: if KSP thinks the vessel should be higher that what is is when it is resting on the surface (because the ground polygons are lower than the height data), KSP will raise the vessel. KIS then locks the vessel into place and because the vessel is no longer touching the ground, KSP marks it as flying. Then when you next go into warp (or leave the scene), the vessel crashes into the ground. I figured this out when I came across a floating rock on Duna: I planted a flag on the ground under one edge of the rock, saved, loaded, and the flag was floating in the air right beside the rock. As I had already lost a few flags to the kraken on that trip, I realized what was going on.

I don't know if anything can be done about it in KIS (thus why I haven't talked to Igorz about it yet), but there is something you can do: do not leave stakes out: do your building, then just before you finalize, plant your stakes, finalize the build, then collect your stakes. It is a pain, but it saves having to make KIS containers with more stakes. Note that you can always get away with one quicksave/quickload cycle because it's the loading that shifts the flags up. Since figuring out why stakes wind up flying and thus explode, I have not lost a single stake (though admittedly, it has been less than two weeks since I figured it out).

I have released version 6.5.0 of Extraplanetary Launchpads. Note that 6.5.0 will not work properly with versions of KIS prior to 1.18 (this applies to building KIS containers).

Changes from 6.4.0

• Fix missing bulkheadProfiles for the construction drone
  • Apply brakes for survey builds
  • Fix (mostly harmless) NRE when pressing the escape key after loading a craft
  • Work with KIS 1.18
  • Handle KIS container masses correctly
  • Make the resource manager fully process vessels pulled in by undocked KAS resource connectors
  • Use resource managers for pad and craft resources giving balanced transfers on vessel release
  • Replace the craft capacities display with a craft Bill of Materials, including the description field if it is set
  • Fix the EL part filter icons to be the standard black/white
  • Reverse node priority for disposable pads
  • Update manual to reflect the changed node priority

For the node priority switch, the bottom node is now checked first. In actual usage, I found myself wanting the bottom node on single part extensions far more often than I wanted the top node. When the top node is desired, I imagine there will usually be a lot more vessel "below" the root part.

@5thHorseman I'm sorry it took so long for me to do something about brakes. At the time of your troubles, I had no idea how to force them on. But when I tried to build a mobile crane without launch clamps and it rolling into my base caused weird physics glitches, I knew I had to do something.

Edited by taniwha

@Jacke I'm all for mod interoperability, but EL has enough dependencies as it is. Adding QuickBrake would add 3 dependencies when really EL should just do it right in the first place. I imagine (hope) that EL and QuickBrake work together nicely (if QB turns the brake action group on rather than toggling it, they should, as EL does set the group on).

That said, I do feel better knowing that there was something out there already.

Thanks for the reply Re: exploding stakes.. 

Maybe this is a KSP bug I've just got to work around..  I may try building a launchpad instead and just shift everything off it.. 

Perhaps this is a worthy part to add (or for me to find), a build target that's cheap but big and flat.. and doesn't explode.. :)

Edit: I may actually look at using kerbal konstructs to see if I can use that as a place to put stakes... and see if they keep exploding.

Edited by bunjatec

Well, first, there is a reference in the manual (pdf file in the ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads directory, or linked in the OP). (assuming you can see colors without problems): the blue diamond indicates the direction the VAB north-wall side (or SPH floor side) of the root part will face when the root part's bottom node is selected. I'm not too certain of which way the root part will be oriented when its top node is selected, and no clue when any other node is, especially if an attach node. (not sure I've ever tested that case).

The main thing is that it is the root part of the vessel is the key, and which nodes are free. As of 6.5.0, the bottom node is checked first, then the top node, then any others (6.4.0 and earlier, it was the other way, but I found that to be contrary to how it felt natural to use it after building and extending several stations and bases). The chosen node is connected to the part to which the disposable pad was connected.

As for the other pads... don't use launchpad2, it was never practical (though the folding is kinda cool), but the orbital doc and landing pad could do with some markings (btw, the landing pad was originally intended for just that, but I later decided to make it a constructor, too).

Unrelated bug:

https://imgur.com/a/Qedywwu
I have a construction frigate. I was low on resopurces (materialKits adn SpecializedParts). I started building a starbase for just a few seconds, just to see how much time it takes then quickly cancelled. The pad showed clear.

I come back a few days alter with resources and teh frigate is unresponsive. I can't control its movements. When i click on a part it, its window pops up but I can no longer click on another part. All the costruction respurces show their quantity is NaN , not 0.

If you need some debug files, let me know wich ones.