[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

1.  Quietly wait patiently?  If you read Taniwha's post above he is a bit burned out and busy with RL.  In general seeing constant posts asking can actually have a negative impact on their burnout.

2. If you know coding, the code is all available.  I would imagine whatever fix is necessary between 1.11 and 1.12 shouldn't be super major and Taniwha may appreciate the help.

3.  Not saying that money talks, but I'd imagine getting a chunk of "thank you" cash can help even the burned out get motivated to at least put together an update patch.  There is a patreon link in the OP.

1. The burn out is why I asked. I know it too well.

2. I know how to code quite well ,  just not familiar with the deeper workings of KSP.  

3. Does he have a PayPal besides the Patreon ?

On 8/19/2021 at 6:22 AM, General Apocalypse said:

1. The burn out is why I asked. I know it too well.

2. I know how to code quite well ,  just not familiar with the deeper workings of KSP.  

3. Does he have a PayPal besides the Patreon ?

1. There's at least 2 modders out there who deliberately push back updates each time someone asks about them. Some of these folks have been coding KSP mods for 7+ years, and every time someone asks about an update, there's a chance they'll decide that's the last straw and take their toys and go home. There are several posts on the forum asking people not to ask when a mod will be updated, and it's been a contentious issue over the years that a lot of people feel very strongly about. When people ask, even once, it makes a number of us think that the poster didn't read any of the forum stickies or review the most recent pages. (not saying that's you, but it's the impression that long-time forum folks take away, whether warranted or not)

2. If you don't want to wait, there are several threads in the mod development section of the forum that can bring you to speed very quickly on the KSP specifics, including where to download the files you need, and links to an extensive API reference. If you're experienced with C++, there won't be any surprises.

3. I don't know, but you can always do the Patreon and immediately cancel if you want to do a single payment.

I have some good new and bad news. First the bad news: I can't promise a release date.

Now the good news: all the work I did on EL last year has paid off big time now: EL's dev branch built against KSP 1.9.1 seems to work in 1.12.2 (have some trouble with productivity showing in the UI, but I suspect that an actual bug, nothing to do with KSP versions). This means that it shouldn't take too much to get something usable out.

Things to expect:

Completely rewritten UI. Unity's legacy OnGUI is no longer used (I guess it can't be now anyway? I'm out of touch). This should make for less CPU resource drain when EL's UI is showing.

Completely rewritten craft browser. Now sports refreshable thumbnails (including for subassemblies!).

Building individual parts without having to create a single-part craft file in the VAB or SPH (EL does that for you, but "hides" the part's craft file in a suitable directory (saves/<name>/Parts). Even includes a basic part editor for tweakables (very very WIP, thus "usable" above).

New icons thanks to @JadeOfMaar

And yes, if I can keep the compatibility, it should work from 1.8 to 1.12 (my 1.9.1 builds were known to work in 1.8 end of last year).

This may seem a little odd being hot on the heals of "no promised release date", but initial testing went well, and this is more a beta release than a proper release (thus the version number). Also, I apologize for the delay: I really just could not face KSP stuff for a while.

Anyway...

I have released version 6.99.0 of Extraplanetary Launchpads. As this involves a lot of heavy work rewriting the UI, and probably a lot of bit-rot (missed two major KSP updates), there may be problems lurking. However, the basics seem to work from 1.8 to 1.12 (not much testing done on 1.10, and none on 1.11, though).

Changes from 6.8.3:

• Complete overhaul of EL's main UI:  it now uses Unity's Canvas system (via @sarbian's KodeUI (many thanks to him for getting that ball rolling). The one exception is the settings window (I forgot about it and couldn't be bothered for this release). KodeUI (and thus EL's UI) is quite configurable: if you don't like the colors or even the graphics, you can change them via config file edits.
  • New icons (app launcher, filter, etc) thanks to @JadeOfMaar. Again, many thanks.
  • Completely new craft browser: no longer is EL at the mercy of KSP for browsing craft files.
    • (possible loss) Steam support unknown (I've forgotten if it works or not).
    • Craft thumbnails can be refreshed at any time via the "cycle" button in the upper left corner of the browser's ship image). This works for sub-assemblies as well.
    • Craft description (if the craft file has one) is displayed under the ship image.
    • EXPERIMENTAL, very WIP: Individual parts can be selected and edited. Parts are saved as their own craft files (in saves/<savename>/Parts). Ground science parts supported!
  • Build manager UI shows craft description (if available) and ship image as well as the craft bill of materials.
  • Resource manager UI integrated into the main EL window as a separate tab.

Known issues;

• Productivity display doesn't always update correctly.
  • (mentioned above) Steam vessels may not be supported.
  • Part editor is unfinished.
  • KodeUI's style specification is not stable.

Please let me know of any issues, but better yet, any successes :)

ISli8XX.jpg

Building is successful with both stakes and pads(and modded ones), my heavy MM patches(recipes and so on) work as intended too. If you don't see your stakes in pads list, don't worry, they now have their own list to the right. Vessels from stock and other saves do load, and no krakens yet. Great!

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

Complete overhaul of EL's main UI:  it now uses Unity's Canvas system (via @sarbian's KodeUI (many thanks to him for getting that ball rolling).

And many thanks to you for keeping it rolling. I "just" need to use it for MJ now :/

Edited by sarbian

Sweet Jesus... After a hiatus because of a lack of EPL in my multi system playthrough, I figured I'd drop in and check for progress. Perfect timing. Thanks guys! I'll let you know if I experience any hiccups.

2 minutes ago, Kamilo said:

I'm having problems with the UI on the Kerbal Planetary Base System part. I'm stuck on it and can't close it nor select a craft.

Picture: https://ibb.co/xhNny99

That looks very much like you are trying to use EL 6.8.x in KSP 1.12 (which I've heard is a no-good combination). You should probably try grabbing 6.99.0, which I have tested in KSP 1.12.2.

1 minute ago, Kamilo said:

I did download it and put it into the GameFolder, but it says its not supported. Is it maybe because of the Kerbal Planetary Base System  patches for EL?

What says it's not supported? If it's AVL (or whatever it's called), edit or remove ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Plugins/ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.version (it does say 1.9.1, which is not correct. need to figure out the correct fix for that).

11 minutes ago, taniwha said:

What says it's not supported? If it's AVL (or whatever it's called), edit or remove ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Plugins/ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.version (it does say 1.9.1, which is not correct. need to figure out the correct fix for that).

It says "Launchpad" is not supported.  The UI in the following pictures says version  6.7.2. Is that correct?

Edited by Kamilo

5 minutes ago, Kamilo said:

It says "Launchpad" is not supported.

No, that's what whatever is saying is not supported, not what is saying that "Launchpad" is not supported, but I guess my question may not have been clear enough.

Anyway, I asked because there are two mechanisms I know of for the "not supported" test: the original version checker created by Majiir and used in several mods (Kethane, FAR (in the past, at least), and EL included), and [Mini]AVC. [Mini]AVC uses the .version file I mentioned, the original version checker is hard-coded in each relevant mod, and I very carefully made sure EL's was happy with 1.12.

13 minutes ago, Kamilo said:

Maybe the other mods which patch EL need to update to the latest version.

I'm sure they do, but EL itself works on all "recent" versions of KSP, and mod patches to EL are unaffected by the KSP version (and, for the most part, even EL's version). As I implied earlier, it's most likely the ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.version file in EL's Plugins directory because MiniAVC.dll (which many mods include) uses that file to test for compatibility. Thus removing (or editing) that file will fix the "Launchpad not supported" problem.

Don't worry that removing that file will break something as doing so cannot break anything.

7 minutes ago, Kamilo said:

I removed the ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.version, but it dosen't fix the pop-up in the loading screen.

This is most odd. Please send me your KSP.log file (entire file, but you need only load KSP and exit).

43 minutes ago, Basesixty said:

On cKan it says that this mod is only supported in 1.9.9 but it also says that it's version 6.99.0.0. Does this mean it won't break my save and it's just showing the wrong version?

Most likely. If I recall @taniwhadoes not maintain his ckan listing himself.

3 hours ago, Basesixty said:

On cKan it says that this mod is only supported in 1.9.9 but it also says that it's version 6.99.0.0. Does this mean it won't break my save and it's just showing the wrong version?

I noticed that, but figured that Taniwha's specific statement on this thread was a more reliable indication. So I just told CKAN to consider mods for KSP 1.9 to be compatible. Yes, that means it will allow me to install mods that aren't actually good for 1.12.2, but I do tend to take special note when I have CKAN install a mod not claiming current compatibility.