[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

This mod looks great.

I have one question:

If I manage to have parts safely land on the surface of a body that has the extra launchpad, can I recover it and reuse the ore? This would be great on Eve.

If by "recover" you mean go get it, bring it to your base, and drop it in a recycling bin then yes. If you mean "click the recover button" then no. :)

If by "recover" you mean go get it, bring it to your base, and drop it in a recycling bin then yes. If you mean "click the recover button" then no. :)

I figured the recover itself wouldn't work. I was thinking a 'recover' button on the pad interface.

However dragging to the recycle bin I'll take!

I think a couple of questions of mine got lost in the pace of the thread, (or I lost the answers :P definitely possible) so I thought I'd repost them.

Just had a thought for the large ore scanner. Is it possible to randomly generate 'scans' on hexes on Kethane's plugin rather than scan the point under the scanner on the surface? If so have the scanner do so, at a speed that goes down the further from an 'ideal orbit altitude' it is. That way it's never going to scan the whole planet (random scans will eventually be scanning the same places again and again, slowly filling in the few last gaps in the map) but you won't have to do a polar orbit etc.

(OK, this is more of a suggestion rather than a question. But I still don't know if random hex discovery is possible. Maybe I'd better ask over in the Kethane thread?)

(EDIT: another thought. Earlier you said you were dealing with a 'show stopping bug' to do with resource management and Kethane (or lack there-of in game). Does this by any chance mean you're attempting to link with another resource system? Say, KSPI? I'd love it if there was a way for EL to integrate with KSPI directly, even if it required a MM plugin .CFG. Truth be told I'm starting to get rather tired of Kethane's system, though there are problems with KSPI's as well right now (no mapping as yet other than an indicator of 'hot spots' and a plot to say what the level is under your craft at that moment.) It's still a bit better for me than Kethane.)

Unfortunately I can't test ELP 4.0 right now as I'm computer-less (thank heavens for tablets or I'd have gone out of my mind this last week or so!). Hopefully I'm getting my new comp today (if FedEx's site is to be believed) though it'll likely take a while for me to get things set up.

Edited by Patupi

I have released v4.0.1 of Extraplanetary Launchpads (as always, GPL). Download details are in the first post.

This release is primarily a bug-fix release, but does have a couple of enhancements:

• Fix: Workshop network does not update on docking events.
  • Fix: Worshop crew hatch is difficult to find.
  • Fix: Warping through vessel spawn can cause destruction. Warp is killed before the actual build is done.
  • Fix: Workshop stack attach nodes are the wrong size.
  • Enhancment: Display productivity received by a pad. Right-clicking on any workshop part will show both that part's productivity and the productivity of the whole vessel.
  • Enhancement: Add RocketParts storage to the new workshop.
  • Enhancement: Make the new workshop a Metal to RocketParts converter.

Edited by taniwha

Very nice, question is it any need for rocketpart containers anymore?

What is if you use the new workshop. If you don't use it and use an hitchhiker or command module to spawn probes rocketpart containers are needed.

So happy I don't need 20 of the large ones to build large ships, I need loads of kerbals instead but they are easier to launch.

Found a bug, productivity doesn't update when you fill/transfer kerbals using Crew Manifest, workaround is to eva a kerbal (and re-enter the craft).

Found an issue with combining EPL and PortWorks, PortWorks puts all it's inflatable habs as crew capacity 0 and then uses this code:

MODULE
{
name = deployableHabRestrictor
animationName = inflato2inflate
crewCapacityDeployed = 4
crewCapacityRetracted = 0
}

To tie the crew capacity number to the inflation state of the part so you can't put kerbals in them uninflated, fair enough, problem is that even after you inflate the part and put kerbals in it via crew transfer or from another ship etc and even after EVA:ing etc to make EPL realize I have people in the craft I still have 0 productivity.

Come up with an MM to fix this:

@PART[inflato1]{

MODULE {
name = ExWorkshop
ProductivityFactor = 3
}
MODULE {
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates {
Metal = 3
ElectricCharge = 10
}
OutputRatios {
RocketParts = 0.9995
}
}
@CrewCapacity = 6
}
@PART[inflato2]{

MODULE {
name = ExWorkshop
ProductivityFactor = 2
}
MODULE {
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates {
Metal = 3
ElectricCharge = 10
}
OutputRatios {
RocketParts = 0.9995
}
}
@CrewCapacity = 4
}
@PART[inflatoFlat]{

MODULE {
name = ExWorkshop
ProductivityFactor = 1.5
}
MODULE {
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates {
Metal = 3
ElectricCharge = 10
}
OutputRatios {
RocketParts = 0.9995
}
}
@CrewCapacity = 4
}
@PART[centrifuge1]{

MODULE {
name = ExWorkshop
ProductivityFactor = 1
}
MODULE {
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates {
Metal = 3
ElectricCharge = 10
}
OutputRatios {
RocketParts = 0.9995
}
}
@CrewCapacity = 4
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[deployableHabRestrictor]]
{
!MODULE[deployableHabRestrictor]{}
}

This removes the restriction for the habs to be inflated to store crew, I suggest not storing crew inside them uninfatuated since that's silly, but it makes PortWorks work with EPL, basically you can use the PortWorks habs instead of the workshop.

Edited by K3|Chris

Enhancement: Make the new workshop a Metal to RocketParts converter.

Does this require kerbals to be in the workshop, and does it scale with productivity? I feel like it should require kerbals but not require productivity (At least without other things scaling too)

Is anyone else here unable to fly anything from the launchpads? There seems to be a massive bug in that I cannot switch to newly spawned craft on a pad with the [] keys and whenever I do that on the tracking station, they suffer from a severe case of rapid unplanned disassembly. I posted an issue on Github if anybody here shares this.

Is anyone else here unable to fly anything from the launchpads? There seems to be a massive bug in that I cannot switch to newly spawned craft on a pad with the [] keys and whenever I do that on the tracking station, they suffer from a severe case of rapid unplanned disassembly. I posted an issue on Github if anybody here shares this.

It seems like you're having the same problem me and another user is having.

This might just be me, but when I try and build a ship with the new version, I am unable to switch into the built craft (or any craft). If I try returning to the Space Centre and then back to my base, the pad says that my craft is there but it's disappeared, and am unable to use it.
This is the exact problem I'm having. I am also unable to reduce time warp, or change anything else.

The creator of the mod hasn't responded to these posts yet. I'm guessing he's working on other bugs/enhancements right now.

Found a bug, productivity doesn't update when you fill/transfer kerbals using Crew Manifest, workaround is to eva a kerbal (and re-enter the craft).

Found an issue with combining EPL and PortWorks, PortWorks puts all it's inflatable habs as crew capacity 0 and then uses this code:

We talked about this on irc, but I'll post here for others: I'll add a config option to allow you to force the workshop to ignore the crew capacity. This change was to work around a deficiency in ModuleManager (I couldn't have a rule to check for non-zero CrewCapacity).

Does this require kerbals to be in the workshop, and does it scale with productivity? I feel like it should require kerbals but not require productivity (At least without other things scaling too)

The functionality of the converter is no different to before, but as K3|Chris mentioned, it's something I want, but I have to sort things out with Majiir (if nothing else, just so I understand what I need to do).

It seems like you're having the same problem me and another user is having.

[stuff about ships on pads]

The creator of the mod hasn't responded to these posts yet. I'm guessing he's working on other bugs/enhancements right now.

I have been rather busy and this slipped through the cracks.

Stuff on pads exploding after going to the space center and back is not good, but not being able to switch to the new vessel may be as intended. If this is with 3.7.1 or earlier, try updating (the code is quite different now). If it's with 4.0 or later, then something to keep in mind is that even when landed, the new vessel is docked to the pad and must be released. ie, it does not exist as a separate vessel.

If this is with 3.7.1 or earlier, try updating (the code is quite different now). If it's with 4.0 or later, then something to keep in mind is that even when landed, the new vessel is docked to the pad and must be released. ie, it does not exist as a separate vessel.

Something I've noticed is the same thing (not being able to control the vessel) happens with 3.7.1 too, but I can still use [ ] to switch back and forth with the launchpad, and everything gets fixed. In 4.0, I can't use the [ ] keys, or even stop timewarp. That's why I switched back to 3.7.1 for now. I'm not 100% sure if that's the only difference between 3.7.1 and 4.0, so I'll check 4.0 again soon and let you know. I'll also try releasing the new vessel. Thanks again.

Seawolf: Thanks. I'm not saying the bug isn't there, just that I haven't run into any such trouble in my (admittedly limited) testing. I need to build a new Minmus base and I'll use that for more extensive testing.

That said, I did have some trouble last night, but it was caused by an exception in RealChutes during the spawned vessel's startup sequence (ie, nothing EL could do about it). That might be something for you guy to check: are there any exceptions happening when the vessel spawns?

Yeah I am having the issue with the ship that I built blowing up on the pad, and then the UI shows the ships name and only has Release as an option but nothing happens when I click on it. It was a mobile smelter I built, after the wheels blew off it. I was able to connect it to the base with KAS. But cant build anything else now. Downloading and installing 4.01 now. I will see if this helps.

Update: The new install didn't fix the problem.

Edited by Valacar

There is indeed a NullReferenceException thrown just after the vessel is created. I do have a lot of mods, so I'm not sure if another mod causes that. I don't have realChutes though.

After the spawn, I can't control the vessel (using wasd), can't increase or decrease timewarp, right clicking on parts don't let me select options (like "extend solar panels", "log temperature", etc.), but I can still see the resources. I can't change vessels using []. I think the effect is the same as a timewarp. The 4.0.1 update disables timewarp after the vessel is built, but I think the game doesn't change to physics mode from timewarp mode.

I'm not sure if I explained this well. I can also post a video if you need.

I have been rather busy and this slipped through the cracks.

Stuff on pads exploding after going to the space center and back is not good, but not being able to switch to the new vessel may be as intended. If this is with 3.7.1 or earlier, try updating (the code is quite different now). If it's with 4.0 or later, then something to keep in mind is that even when landed, the new vessel is docked to the pad and must be released. ie, it does not exist as a separate vessel.

This is with 4.0.1, on an otherwise fresh install. I don't think I had this problem with 3.7.1, although I seem to have mistakenly deleted the file containing it, so I cannot test that. :sticktongue:

Also, hitting the release button throws an error in the debug log, and doesn't release the ship.

Yeah I am having the issue with the ship that I built blowing up on the pad, and then the UI shows the ships name and only has Release as an option but nothing happens when I click on it. It was a mobile smelter I built, after the wheels blew off it. I was able to connect it to the base with KAS. But cant build anything else now. Downloading and installing 4.01 now. I will see if this helps.

Update: The new install didn't fix the problem.

Right click on the command pod on the new vessel and tell it "control from here". I had the same issue where Mechjeb wouldn't conduct any execution commands. When I manually told the new command pod that it was in control, everything started working. I found a minor bug also, with an easy workaround, but when you load up a Kerbal to command the newly minted vessel there's no IVA for him. After releasing from the clamp, you then EVA and IVA again and its fixed.

I'm also getting a very explody everything if I'm not at 1x warp right AND present right when the ship finishes. I'll hunt for a way to disable progressive building until its stable.

Edited by PolecatEZ

There is a definite problem with landed construction (orbital seems to work just fine). I am on its tail, so it should be fixed soon.

[edit] It turns out it was the pad after all. The orbital dock is the only part (afaik) that uses SpawnTransform and thus has a permanent transform (a part of the model). For the pad, a temporary transform is created to store the launch position. Unfortunately, the transform was getting destroyed before and thus made invalid. Thus an NRE was generated and the build process broke. Oops. In the end, a one-line fix :blush:

Edited by taniwha

I have released v4.0.2 of Extraplanetary Launchpads (as always, GPL). Download details are in the first post.

Changes for this release:

• Crew capacity is ignored by default. EL's MM config now makes the workshop check if the command module is on a probe core rather than the workshop always checking.
  • Building vessels on pads that do not use SpawnTransform (most of them) no longer breaks.

Edited by taniwha

I think you mean you've released v4.0.2 :) But thanks anyway. By the way my computer is here, though it may take me a while to get everything installed and set up so I can get KSP running again, let alone try EPL. Thanks for the continued work on this.

Thank you for the fast fix. The new update did fix the original problem. But there's another problem now. I've noticed that if I don't release the vessel fast enough, it collides with the launchpad and blows up. If I hack gravity, it gives me more time to release the vessel before it explodes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kqzmue7ir26my2/ELtest.png

This is what I got when I tried to create a ship that consists of stayputnik, a fuel tank, and an engine. First, the engine and fuel tank blew up, then the stayputnik dropped on the launchpad, sat there for a second, and went *poof*.

Thanks for the amazing fix, I really didn't want to try to get a new base started on the Mun. Especially since I landed in a spot with Kethane, Ore and Water.

Well the one on the mun is still bugged. So I put another LaunchPad2 up to check it. Might see about the Runway since I am looking at trying to build some rovers first off.

Edited by Valacar