[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Although I still haven't installed the ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads yet; according to Kottabos' review, I strongly recommended that you should replace this:

Untitled(the one circled and pointed with an arrow)

With something like this:

fn0gqpZ

It's more stockalike.

I love stockalike stuffs.

Or is there a stockalike variant of this EL mod?

Edited by RandomKerbal
The images has somehow deprecated.

6 minutes ago, RandomKerbal said:

Or is there a stockalike variant of this EL mod?

Keridian Dynamics. Or.. well, you shouldn`t shame Tahiwha. He is keeping alife the most versatile mod for in-situ buliding. It is so modular that you can make your stock ISRU a workshop, make some cubic struts a survey stakes, and build your stuff without any new parts at all. Or with any parts you like. Without coding, with bare notepad.exe

@Hohmannson: yes, it was done using blender, my addon, and no Unity.

@RandomKerbal:: While EL's textures do need improving, what you suggest feels like the wrong direction. However, you are free to replace the textures with whatever you want locally. Models, too. You can even tweak a lot of the "rules" in EL.

I was never a fan of stock or stock-alike, and I am even less of one these days than I was seven years ago.

And in cause you're wondering, the workshop was deliberately designed to be awkward to launch (though that wound up a slight failure: it's not all that difficult to launch, but it is still far easier to build on-site).

On 7/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, taniwha said:

@Hohmannson: yes, it was done using blender, my addon, and no Unity.

@RandomKerbal:: While EL's textures do need improving, what you suggest feels like the wrong direction. However, you are free to replace the textures with whatever you want locally. Models, too. You can even tweak a lot of the "rules" in EL.

I was never a fan of stock or stock-alike, and I am even less of one these days than I was seven years ago.

And in cause you're wondering, the workshop was deliberately designed to be awkward to launch (though that wound up a slight failure: it's not all that difficult to launch, but it is still far easier to build on-site).

What do you mean? Nothing.

Edited by RandomKerbal

1 hour ago, RandomKerbal said:

What do you mean?

He literally told you, in the next sentence.

7 hours ago, taniwha said:

You may prefer more stockalike but @taniwha clearly prefers his own style.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, Hohmannson said:

Keridian Dynamics. Or.. well, you shouldn`t shame Tahiwha. He is keeping alife the most versatile mod for in-situ buliding. It is so modular that you can make your stock ISRU a workshop, make some cubic struts a survey stakes, and build your stuff without any new parts at all. Or with any parts you like. Without coding, with bare notepad.exe

Sorry, I wasn't shaming him. ;.;

For more clarity, I like stockalike textured parts, not stockalike part models; the stock part models are shoddy (as compared to Nertea's) .

Edited by RandomKerbal

4 hours ago, RandomKerbal said:

For more clarity, I like stockalike textured parts, not stockalike parts.

You continue to make no sense :rolleyes:.  If you don't like the parts in this pack nothing is preventing you from changing them.  I don't really either since they don't match the style of most parts I use. Instead of complaining about it here I just went and found parts I did like and figured out how to replace the functions of each part in this mod with parts from Keridian Dynamics, USI Kontainers, and Stockalike Mining Extension.  Then I keep the EL parts from appearing in my game to declutter the VAB part list.

Edited by Tonka Crash

45 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

If you don't like the parts in this pack nothing is preventing you from changing them.

@RandomKerbal It is for this very reason that EL's manual has a section on modding EL, detailing what's needed in the models and parts (parts meaning the config files for the parts). That is, I knew that not everyone was happy with EL's parts and thus would want to use them with their own parts (eg, @Angel-125, @Nils277), stock parts (@zer0Kerbal), or parts from their favorite mod (@Tonka Crash amongst others, I'm sure). Should you choose to go that route and anything is not sufficiently clear, let me know.

To be honest, even I am not satisfied with EL's parts (though I have deprecated most of the worst offenders). Of those that remain, I think the tanks (all of them, actually) and the scanners are not to my liking. I've already covered the parts I made for EL, so here are the parts I didn't make that I don't plan on replacing any time soon...

• auger: (skykooler) It's not beautiful, but augers generally aren't. Probably the main improvement to it would be a particle effect for a dust cloud. I don't consider a deploy animation to be essential, especially since there are robotics parts available (either Infernal Robotics or the Breaking Ground DLC). However, I did, at one stage, seriously consider modifying the auger to have a deploy animation, but I never came up with anything I liked. I prefer to just attach one to my base (using a kerbal via KIS) such that it's poking in the ground.
  • construction drone: (Carl Davidson (don't know his forum name)) It's ok. I haven't used it myself (I prefer using kerbals). I suppose it could do with an animation on the lasers.
  • rocket workbench: (skykooler) another non-beautiful part, but it's not meant to be. However, it works for me, especially after I made it have four external command seats. It's horrible to fly on a rocket, but is "small" enough that two kerbals can move it and it doesn't take much time or resources to build on-site. It's probably one of the more appropriate parts, really, as it makes the kerbals working on a ship feel more "real" (hah). Also, when used on an orbital station, the kerbals get an amazing view ;). Originally, I hated this part as much as anybody else did, but it grew on me, especially once I figured out how to make good use of it.
  • smelter: (skykooler). No denying that it's ugly, but smelting is a dirty business. It works for me as a low-tech (ie, purely chemical process) solution to extracting metal from ore. I am considering doing a fancier model that would take advantage of the EC smelter recipe @Tonka Crash provided (in a higher tech node). However, I do need to get its heat animation working. When messing around with the model in Blender (I don't remember why now, maybe fixing the colliders) I discovered it had an emissive texture that made it glow appropriately.

The above parts, and certainly my own, could indeed do with more polish. The problem is time. What with family, work, about a dozen mods and tools for KSP, several other mods to which I've contributed patches (I have over 50 github repositories, the majority of which are for KSP mods, quite a few are forks (for submitting patches)), and a project I've been working on for twenty years, it can be quite difficult. I really don't know how @linuxgurugamer manages (even with automation).

Anyway, as EL uses the GNU General Public License, you are free to modify EL and even distribute your modified version so long as you follow the rules of the GPL (make your modifications clear, pass on those freedoms (via the GPL), and credit where due, essentially).

Hi random kerbal, I love this mod, I also share many of the feelings about the aesthetic of some of the parts.

However, I almost always play with the kerbal planetary base systems mod, this happens to provide a very nice looking set of compatible parts, which I'd highly recommend.

I'd love to model parts in the style of stock alike station parts (particularly smelters and the large workshop), however my modelling skills are pretty much non existent, fortunately this doesn't stop me enjoying playing and KPBS definitely helps.

perhaps a better support in other mods is a better place to start, or you can co-opt stock parts to build if you like.

I used to use "not so simple construction" that re-used stock assets to build from docking ports, and provide survey stations in cupolas and hitchhiker modules. it could still work with the latest KSP and EL if you tinker with the config files..

I am in need of some help, New to KSP and EL. When I go to place the stake it disapears in my inventory but doesnt get placed in the ground. Im not sure what to tell you so you could help me. :D

Hmm doing some tests and it look like it might be a kas or kis problem. If i pull the stake strait from a container and stick it in the ground it works fine. but if i put it into the kerbals inventory and then try putting it in the ground it disappears. (seems like it is doing that for all of my other Items too....)

Edited by Chunganator

5 hours ago, Chunganator said:

I am in need of some help, New to KSP and EL. When I go to place the stake it disapears in my inventory but doesnt get placed in the ground. Im not sure what to tell you so you could help me. :D

Hmm doing some tests and it look like it might be a kas or kis problem. If i pull the stake strait from a container and stick it in the ground it works fine. but if i put it into the kerbals inventory and then try putting it in the ground it disappears. (seems like it is doing that for all of my other Items too....)

I'm guessing you're on 1.10.  KIS has issues with 1.10 that match your description and EL has reported problems with 1.10, too. I'd wait for updates.

16 hours ago, bunjatec said:

Hi random kerbal, I love this mod, I also share many of the feelings about the aesthetic of some of the parts.

However, I almost always play with the kerbal planetary base systems mod, this happens to provide a very nice looking set of compatible parts, which I'd highly recommend.

I'd love to model parts in the style of stock alike station parts (particularly smelters and the large workshop), however my modelling skills are pretty much non existent, fortunately this doesn't stop me enjoying playing and KPBS definitely helps.

perhaps a better support in other mods is a better place to start, or you can co-opt stock parts to build if you like.

I used to use "not so simple construction" that re-used stock assets to build from docking ports, and provide survey stations in cupolas and hitchhiker modules. it could still work with the latest KSP and EL if you tinker with the config files..

Me too.

7 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm guessing you're on 1.10.  KIS has issues with 1.10 that match your description and EL has reported problems with 1.10, too. I'd wait for updates.

@theJesuit confirming, KIS has some issues with 1.10 and I've got exact same behavior with stakes too (as well as some other parts). Upon inspecting the logs, I'm pretty sure it's on KIS side.

As a workaround, I found that non-Kerbal KIS inventories are generally work fine with 1.10. So, if you can grab a KIS container and toss it around, either as a separate part or mounted on a rover, this can make the life easier until KIS is updated. Hope this helps.

23 hours ago, Chunganator said:

Thank you all who tested! haha the first work around I did was putting the stake or part on the ground while next to the vessel then just leap froged it to the destination. Slow but it worked. But making a rover with KIS container would be smarter!

Ok next question, and this is probably the same issue (that im on 1.10, but maybe not) I have Rocket parts, a work station, and a orbital dock. I click on the open UI, then I click on select craft, then i click the load button after selecting the craft i want to build (just a Mk1 capsule for testing). When i click the load button nothing happens. Am i missing something. or is it from being in 1.10?

I've got fixes for 1.10 (many thanks to @Sibiro for the initial work (I managed to get things working in both 1.9 and 1.10!)), but I'm working through tests of a bunch of other things, including ReStock launch clamps.

The brave and tenacious (building EL for anyone but me can be a real challenge) can try out the master branch on github.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:29 AM, taniwha said:

The brave and tenacious (building EL for anyone but me can be a real challenge) can try out the master branch on github.

Brave and tenacious??? probably not, more like determined and masochistic...

So I was running into the same "launch pad select window not opening" problem everyone else is, then I saw that the (in need of testing) fixes were on github I dove in.

I downloaded the master branch and replaced my GameData\ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
with Extraplanetary-Launchpads-master.zip\Extraplanetary-Launchpads-master\GameData\ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

and gave it a shot. 

The smelter, workshop, and recycler aren't showing up in the VAB and my craft that have those parts aren't loading.

Ok, I notice the quote says "building EL..." so I'm figuring what's in the GameData folder in the zip file isn't current and needs rebuilding. (maybe???)

I have Unity 2019 loaded (from helping my CS major daughter with her game development class) 
I expanded the zip file and loaded it up and.... oh dear...
I need a lot more learning before I tackle that curve.

Should what's in the .zip files GameData folder be playable? 
Or is that wishful thinking on my part.

2 hours ago, tmbomber said:

Brave and tenacious??? probably not, more like determined and masochistic...

So I was running into the same "launch pad select window not opening" problem everyone else is, then I saw that the (in need of testing) fixes were on github I dove in.

I downloaded the master branch and replaced my GameData\ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
with Extraplanetary-Launchpads-master.zip\Extraplanetary-Launchpads-master\GameData\ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

and gave it a shot. 

The smelter, workshop, and recycler aren't showing up in the VAB and my craft that have those parts aren't loading.

Ok, I notice the quote says "building EL..." so I'm figuring what's in the GameData folder in the zip file isn't current and needs rebuilding. (maybe???)

I have Unity 2019 loaded (from helping my CS major daughter with her game development class) 
I expanded the zip file and loaded it up and.... oh dear...
I need a lot more learning before I tackle that curve.

Should what's in the .zip files GameData folder be playable? 
Or is that wishful thinking on my part.

Looks like it's missing the "Plugins" directory - I suspect that's what needs to be built from scratch.