[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Aeon-Phoenix: umm... KAS, sprawling base, uneven ground? Or maybe you used launch clamps?

I've made sure that the ground is as even as possible (took HOURS on VALL), yes i use KAS to strap everything together (Just like you). The problem is that the gorram stuff gets created INSIDE the pad. I did not yet tried clamps. But clamps work not very well,when the first part you build is the gorram crane to take things off the pad...

I've releases version 3.6 of Extraplanetary Launchpads. Links, licensing etc in the first post.

Changes from 3.5:

• Fix struts and fuel-lines for normal craft.
  • Fix the ore and metal bins. The missing bottoms are no longer missing.
  • Produce some info for the recycler module (for the VAB/SPH tooltip).
  • EL now cooperates with MFS.
  • A slight offset has been added to launchpad2's spawn location to help reduce exploding vessels.

Aeon-Phoenix: I doubt the above will help you (I'll look into launch clamps, even if it means killing them before building the vessel), but give it a shot.

Bug reports to the tracker. Please, one problem per report/isue as it makes for easier tracking (otherwise your report might go the way of the dodo).

I've been having the exact same issues. I've tried both launchpads on multiple planets, but the issue is definitely that my craft are spawning inside the launchpad. Hopefully someone's seen this problem and fixed it (and will be kind enough to share said solution).

I haven't played around a lot with this mod yet, but I did notice what seemed to be one cause and workaround for exploding ships: it seems that the ship was spawning with the root part attached to the launchpad, even when the root part was deep inside the spacecraft. I used the "change root" mod to change the root part to a docking port on the bottom end of the ship I was trying to build (and that was exploding on undock) and it spawned just fine.

I used the "change root" mod to change the root part to a docking port on the bottom end of the ship I was trying to build (and that was exploding on undock) and it spawned just fine.

Many thanks, good sir! Just tested this and it worked! Not quite sure what I'll do about getting rid of that pesky docking port embedded in my launch pad, or if it'll even be an issue as I haven't tested extensively yet, but this is still a very big help until there's an update to fix it.

Actually, I might just use something as my root part that's able to be grabbed using KAS, and then have my kerbals dispose of it manually after each launch. My off-planet launch platform for my 400-ton flagship may continue!

All this talk of "root parts embedded in the pad" do me no good: I need craft files and saved games (for the location) as I have never experienced such a problem. Please put them in a report on the tracker (so there isn't a flood of separate reports).

@taniwha

I'm getting the following errors in my KSP.log When I review the mod folder the actual hierarchy is \GameData\ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads\Parts\SphericalTanks\. I've reviewed the folder, d/l and re-d/l. There are no model### present in the folder.

Line 3172: [ERR 01:43:42.277] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_HalfSphericalTankMedium/model' as model does not exist

Line 3173: [ERR 01:43:42.278] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3174: [ERR 01:43:42.278] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3175: [ERR 01:43:42.279] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3177: [ERR 01:43:42.280] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_HalfSphericalTankMedium/model' as model does not exist

Line 3178: [ERR 01:43:42.280] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3179: [ERR 01:43:42.281] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3180: [ERR 01:43:42.281] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3182: [ERR 01:43:42.282] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_HalfSphericalTankMedium/model' as model does not exist

Line 3183: [ERR 01:43:42.283] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3184: [ERR 01:43:42.283] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3185: [ERR 01:43:42.284] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3187: [ERR 01:43:42.285] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_HalfSphericalTankSmall/model' as model does not exist

Line 3188: [ERR 01:43:42.285] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3189: [ERR 01:43:42.286] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3190: [ERR 01:43:42.286] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3192: [ERR 01:43:42.287] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_HalfSphericalTankSmall/model' as model does not exist

Line 3193: [ERR 01:43:42.288] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3194: [ERR 01:43:42.288] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3195: [ERR 01:43:42.288] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3197: [ERR 01:43:42.290] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_HalfSphericalTankSmall/model' as model does not exist

Line 3198: [ERR 01:43:42.290] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3199: [ERR 01:43:42.291] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3200: [ERR 01:43:42.291] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3202: [ERR 01:43:42.292] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankLarge/model' as model does not exist

Line 3203: [ERR 01:43:42.293] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3204: [ERR 01:43:42.293] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3205: [ERR 01:43:42.293] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3207: [ERR 01:43:42.295] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankLarge/model' as model does not exist

Line 3208: [ERR 01:43:42.295] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3209: [ERR 01:43:42.296] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3210: [ERR 01:43:42.296] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3212: [ERR 01:43:42.297] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankLarge/model' as model does not exist

Line 3213: [ERR 01:43:42.298] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3214: [ERR 01:43:42.298] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3215: [ERR 01:43:42.298] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3217: [ERR 01:43:42.300] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankMedium/model' as model does not exist

Line 3218: [ERR 01:43:42.300] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3219: [ERR 01:43:42.300] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3220: [ERR 01:43:42.301] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3222: [ERR 01:43:42.302] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankMedium/model' as model does not exist

Line 3223: [ERR 01:43:42.302] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3224: [ERR 01:43:42.303] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3225: [ERR 01:43:42.303] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3227: [ERR 01:43:42.304] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankMedium/model' as model does not exist

Line 3228: [ERR 01:43:42.305] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3229: [ERR 01:43:42.305] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3230: [ERR 01:43:42.306] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3232: [ERR 01:43:42.307] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankSmall/model' as model does not exist

Line 3233: [ERR 01:43:42.307] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3234: [ERR 01:43:42.308] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3235: [ERR 01:43:42.308] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3237: [ERR 01:43:42.309] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankSmall/model' as model does not exist

Line 3238: [ERR 01:43:42.310] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3239: [ERR 01:43:42.310] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3240: [ERR 01:43:42.311] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Line 3242: [ERR 01:43:42.312] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'ModsByTal/Parts/FuelTank/TAL_SphericalTankSmall/model' as model does not exist

Line 3243: [ERR 01:43:42.312] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Line 3244: [ERR 01:43:42.313] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

Line 3245: [ERR 01:43:42.313] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

TranceaddicT: Yes, you will get those: I created the relevant config files just before Talisar released his newer spherical tanks. As they only clone his tank models (rather than me copying them), you need to have his older tank set for them to work. If you do not have (and don't want to get) his older set, just delete the SphericalTanks directory from GameData/ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Parts. Should you want spherical tanks, I recommend getting his newer set: much less VAB/SPH clutter :)

skykooler: I used my own blender .mu import/export script and just added the faces. As a wild guess, I suspect unity was creating a second submesh for you, but KSP does not support more than one submesh (my script explicitly avoids multiple submeshes).

In my opinion this mod needs a reskin soon. Most of the textures seem to have no been altered in a while an it has a very unfinished look to it. Maybe try welded stock parts, or borrow textures from an existing mod if it is too time-consuming to scratch-make them (I can appreciate that!) but textures should be high priority. Also, can anyone post pictures of exactly what the 3.6 version parts look like? I'm not exactly certain what changes have been made since I last used te mod.

TimMartland: you might thing textures are high priority, but really, they're not even on the bottom of my list.

• Time since last update is completely irrelevant, or if relevant, might just as well make any older version better.
  • smelter and landing pads: the textures seem to fit. No need to change them.
  • Recycling bins and orbital dock: they're how I want them (you don't like them? Supply your own textures. At least the dock lets you set the flag).
  • I think over 50% of the people using EL would agree than new models would be a much higher priority than new textures.
  • I highly suspect everybody else would like their built vessels to not explode.
  • I have too many plans for the functionality of EL to worry about models (in general), let alone textures.

I'm sorry, mate, but you'll just have to suffer the tyranny of the majority (assuming a democracy, which this ain't), or the tyranny of a dictatorship (which this is). If you want new textures, you'll have to do them yourself (or convince($?) someone to do them for you). However, this dictatorship is happy to accept suitably licensed contributions from its citizens.

(If you can't tell I've been reading Heinlein recently, you need to read more).

Service to you, Citizen.

Textures are not a big deal unless they're eating RAM like there's no tomorrow. If you can tell the difference between two parts and recognize their function then it's good enough until the parts are made stable and working as intended.

Thanks for the tracker, but i REALLY don't want to register on YET ANOTHER platform.

So i tried your update, works fine. But as you said, stuff is still rezzing inside the launch platform (the ones of this pack and the hooligan ones).

Right now it appears that the system uses a mixture of the root position of the control unit (pod or probe) and/or the clamps. I had two items rezzing okay, using like 6 struts and a clamp to make sure the clamp does not collide into the launcher (and it took me some time to figure out how many struts and offset i need so it does not collide) the last one, i could do what i wanted, the thing always got rezzed INSIDE the launcher with its root position beeing EXACTLY at the root position of the launcher.

So after some thinking (me beeing a 3d modeller by trade) i remembered a similar issue on another game, in which the programmer worked around that by calculating the geometrical box of the spawner against the geometrical box of the item to get spawned.

Is there a way in the API of KSP that lets you know the colission box (the widest in any direction - that is pretty foolproof) of the station/base and the item that is to be spawned? If yes. then you just need to make some math to create a dynamic spawn point with some headroom that makes 100% sure that nothing can intersect, and collide once physics kick in. (they may collide afterwards, and there the user just needs to make sure that the item can withstand this impact (in the case of a base for example)

I hope that gives you an idea for the work around :)

I don't remember the exact value (somewhere between 0.25 and 0.75), but the Hooligan Labs pad is actually why I created SpawnHeightOffset in the first place.

I haven't figured out bbox calculation yet (but it is indeed there). However, EL also supports a spawn location transform (the orbital dock uses it: SpawnTransform = LaunchPos), and EL already uses KSP's PutShipToGround function, which does bbox calculations on the new ship (problem is the spawn point). I haven't edited a spawn transform into the other pads yet due to lack of animation support in my toolchain (I have a nice chunk of time over the next three weeks, however).

I'm pretty free over the holidays and since KSP is pretty low poly, i could chunk out a couple new models, unless your modeller would object. Point is, i do mid to high poly these days on very thight schedules, so some low polystuff with some nice AO baked textures should be a cakewalk. not sure how unity handles animations, but there is youtube and eh. can't be too different i guess. Most stuff doesn't even need animations. The tanks for example. And i got a couple nice ideas on how to bring that stuff into a spaceworthy formfactor. The launchpad of hooligan for example is awesome. it just got one problem: the bbox does not change evenly when animating. thus it tends to let the build sway (not so good). So they are nice but can be done better. I also got an idea for a foldable runway that follows more what the military would use for improvised runways. Also Thyssen Krupp made mobile smelters. What i mean is: there is already stuff in real life that shows us how such stuff cold be done.

Animation in Unity is much like animations in Blender, its all based on keyframes, rather simple to learn the process. Also, if you happen to use Blender for modeling most animations will import from blender to unity just fine (the exeption seems to be animations based on scaling mesh).

KhaosCorp: I'm a Maya and Max guy and i know that both file systems can be imported directly into unity. Keyframes is pretty standard. But some engines are a little icky. For Blender: to me and most of my colleagues the only good thing we can say about it is the math base and that it is free, however it is as ergonomic as masturbating with a cheesegrater, painful and not very satisfying.

taniwha: You got PM