[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

was scanning thru my log trying to fix a problem for a mod but noticed a few epl errors

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads.ExLaunchPad.OnDestroy ()
    UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
    PartLoader:StripComponent(GameObject)
    PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
    PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
    :MoveNext()

not sure but might be caused by dyanimc texture loader as they all right after dynamic texture lloader for epl/usi(usi part that deals with epl)

sidfu: weird, that's rather unexpected, but I guess Awake() isn't always called if the object is destroyed straight away.

Thank you.

[edit]I just noticed it's OnAwake, not Awake. That would explain things.

Edited by taniwha

Hey, I was searching through this thread and couldn't find an answer to my problem. I even used the search function and couldn't, so if someone can point me in the right direction or help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Okay, so, after a few updates for a few mods (mainly CryoEngines, Interstellar, KEngineer, etc.), the OMD and magnetometer from EL has disappeared. I have a few probes using them and they just up and went 'poof'. Has anyone experienced this? I placed the newly updated mods outside of the GameData folder, but to no avail. If anyone knows of why these two parts suddenly disappeared and how to get them back, please help. If no one knows, I can supply my logs and mods.

Thank you!

nice mod.. however I found a bug(?) my survey says there is 5% metalore in the ground but my drills won't take it.(they are halfway into the ground :confused:) also: maybe a cool feature would be to use a ore-generation that is stock into the mod; like the stock ore being in places depicted by an ore map (kethane isn't well.. friendly to existing bases) so a more stockalike approach to the ore would be nice. anyhow: good luck!

your appendix vermicularis: You must use EL's augers, not the stock ore drills. Also, EL uses both the stock resource system and Kethane at the same time, transparently. Think of Kethane as a rich but exhaustible vein.

9 hours ago, taniwha said:

Shuriken333: it should be there, it's not even deprecated. USI may have hidden it, but it should not have affected your probes. I guess try reinstalling EL.

I tried reinstalling EL several times, as well as a few others mods to see if there was a problem between them. I deleted the part database as well so it could be recreated. The parts are in the EL folder, but they are not showing up in the game for some reason. I'm in career mode and I have the proper node researched. I have used the parts before. They just don't load up. I've gone through my mods as well and deleted many parts that I don't even use to try to allow more memory, but that hasn't worked either. I'm running on Linux 64-bit KSP, so memory shouldn't be an issue, but I tried to free some up anyway.

2 minutes ago, Shuriken333 said:

I'm running on Linux 64-bit KSP, so memory shouldn't be an issue, but I tried to free some up anyway.

Try doing a recursive grep through your GameData directory to look for part names. Very useful for finding old and forgotten MM patches. For example, when I was searching for everything that touched the MRS quad-nuke engine, I ran this in a terminal, inside GameData:

grep -r NB2mNuclearEngine *

It's much faster and less frustrating than using the game's debug menus. Something you could use would be this example, to find every MM patch that alters the EL orbital dock:

grep -r ExOrbitalDock *

37 minutes ago, Bluebottle said:

Try doing a recursive grep through your GameData directory to look for part names. Very useful for finding old and forgotten MM patches. For example, when I was searching for everything that touched the MRS quad-nuke engine, I ran this in a terminal, inside GameData:

grep -r NB2mNuclearEngine *

It's much faster and less frustrating than using the game's debug menus. Something you could use would be this example, to find every MM patch that alters the EL orbital dock:

grep -r ExOrbitalDock *

So, I set the terminal to the gamedata folder as the working directory and use grep ? I'm not too skilled with Linux. I literally only installed it for KSP 64-bit. Thank you for your help, but if I could just pick your brain a little more, what would I do for the OMD and the magnetometer?

Thank you! :)

3 hours ago, Shuriken333 said:

So, I set the terminal to the gamedata folder as the working directory and use grep ? I'm not too skilled with Linux. I literally only installed it for KSP 64-bit. Thank you for your help, but if I could just pick your brain a little more, what would I do for the OMD and the magnetometer?

Thank you! :)

That's OK, I thought you might be new to it. 'grep' is a command that searches through files for the text you give it. "-r" makes it look through all subdirectories, i.e. recursive. The next parameter is the text to search for, and the last one is where you want it to search, so if you're in GameData, that would be "*"

The EL parts you're looking for are, conveniently, called "OMD" and "Magnetometer". No prefixes or anything. So, in a terminal, without the quotes:

"cd insert-path-of-your-GameData-directory-here" (you can press Tab to autocomplete)
"grep -r OMD *"
"grep -r Magnetometer *"

Grep will tell you the path of the files it finds, and print the matching lines.

There's likely some graphical utility in your desktop environment that could do the same job, but grep is always useful.

4 hours ago, Bluebottle said:

That's OK, I thought you might be new to it. 'grep' is a command that searches through files for the text you give it. "-r" makes it look through all subdirectories, i.e. recursive. The next parameter is the text to search for, and the last one is where you want it to search, so if you're in GameData, that would be "*"

The EL parts you're looking for are, conveniently, called "OMD" and "Magnetometer". No prefixes or anything. So, in a terminal, without the quotes:

"cd insert-path-of-your-GameData-directory-here" (you can press Tab to autocomplete)
"grep -r OMD *"
"grep -r Magnetometer *"

Grep will tell you the path of the files it finds, and print the matching lines.

There's likely some graphical utility in your desktop environment that could do the same job, but grep is always useful.

Thank you for all your help. The two parts (that I'm aware of) are still not showing up for me, though. I ran grep and deleted MM files that contained them so MM could recreate them, I reinstalled SCANsat, since it included there as well. I've already reinstalled EL several times. I'm not sure what to do at all. I deleted the part database in the main KSP folder as well, so it could be regenerated, too. I'm just completely lost. I have the newest version of MM (2.6.18), I have reinstalled all mods that I figured would play some sort of role alongside EL. I don't know how it happened, but the OMD and the Magnetometer were there one second and then disappeared the next.

I appreciate all of your help.

6 hours ago, Shuriken333 said:

Thank you for all your help. The two parts (that I'm aware of) are still not showing up for me, though. I ran grep and deleted MM files that contained them so MM could recreate them, I reinstalled SCANsat, since it included there as well. I've already reinstalled EL several times. I'm not sure what to do at all. I deleted the part database in the main KSP folder as well, so it could be regenerated, too. I'm just completely lost. I have the newest version of MM (2.6.18), I have reinstalled all mods that I figured would play some sort of role alongside EL. I don't know how it happened, but the OMD and the Magnetometer were there one second and then disappeared the next.

I appreciate all of your help.

You're welcome. When you say "reinstall", do you mean that you first deleted all of the old files that grep told you about? The problem is most likely to be an outdated MM file that is lying around. Are you using CKAN? It takes a very conservative approach (i.e. don't delete user data) and won't delete files that aren't in its database. But that can leave 'cruft' behind.

Also, the "MM files that contained them" you deleted were things like ModuleManager.ConfigCache, correct? Which .cfg files?

On 2/13/2016 at 4:35 AM, Bluebottle said:

You're welcome. When you say "reinstall", do you mean that you first deleted all of the old files that grep told you about? The problem is most likely to be an outdated MM file that is lying around. Are you using CKAN? It takes a very conservative approach (i.e. don't delete user data) and won't delete files that aren't in its database. But that can leave 'cruft' behind.

Also, the "MM files that contained them" you deleted were things like ModuleManager.ConfigCache, correct? Which .cfg files?

When I said "reinstall", I meant that I deleted the old folders and reinstalled the mod(s) completely. I have already removed all old MM files and just deleted files that MM had that contained files for the OMD and the magnetometer. I only have 1 MM file in my KSP folder in gamedata, and it's the latest MM. I don't use CKAN. I removed files that regenerate, as in: ModuleManager.ConfigCache, ModuleManager.ConfigSHA, ModuleManager.Physics and ModuleManager.TechTree. Also, from the KSP main folder directory, I deleted PartDatabase.cfg and Physics.cfg. I was hoping that they would regenerate for the newest MM file and fix the problem after regenerating, but to no avail.

On 2/13/2016 at 9:48 AM, goldenpsp said:

That all sounds scary.  if you are installing mods correctly you really shouldn't ever need to go searching for individual files and doing all the manual cleaning up you are going on about.

Nah, it's just single part files that I delete. I have a lot of experience with deleting just single part files. I do it a lot if I don't need or want certain parts from a mod. I deleted then reinstalled EL because of the missing OMD and magnetometer, and as well did not remove any files from them. I just have those 2 missing parts, but I have a excrements ton of mods and was wondering if it was finally due to a memory issue, although I am using Ubuntu KSP 64-bit. Turns out it's not :(  Also, when you said "you really shouldn't ever need to go searching for individual files and doing all the manual cleaning up you are going on about." a lot of people do this, mainly on 32-bit KSP. I just go within the game and write down names of parts I don't use and I delete the files associated with them, which is usually about 3 files, the .config, the .mu and the .dds, but sometimes it's only 2 files. It's a good way of cleaning out parts you don't use, although you want to keep the rest of the mod.

4 minutes ago, Shuriken333 said:

Nah, it's just single part files that I delete. I have a lot of experience with deleting just single part files. I do it a lot if I don't need or want certain parts from a mod. I deleted then reinstalled EL because of the missing OMD and magnetometer, and as well did not remove any files from them. I just have those 2 missing parts, but I have a excrements ton of mods and was wondering if it was finally due to a memory issue, although I am using Ubuntu KSP 64-bit. Turns out it's not :(  Also, when you said "you really shouldn't ever need to go searching for individual files and doing all the manual cleaning up you are going on about." a lot of people do this, mainly on 32-bit KSP. I just go within the game and write down names of parts I don't use and I delete the files associated with them, which is usually about 3 files, the .config, the .mu and the .dds, but sometimes it's only 2 files. It's a good way of cleaning out parts you don't use, although you want to keep the rest of the mod.

Well what I was going on about was based on what was written up to this point.  Given that you never said you make a habit of deleting indivual parts and so forth, your posts sounds much like someone who goes around moving and or deleting stuff when they don't really know what they are doing.  Up until this post everything you were talking about alluded to the standard "I installed the mod wrong" type of situation.

As I've told my wife of 22 years, I still can't read her mind so I can only go off what she says... :P

That being said, yes I generally delete most of the EL parts, yet have never had the issues you are talking about if I want to reinstall them.

On 15/02/2016 at 11:40 PM, Shuriken333 said:

When I said "reinstall", I meant that I deleted the old folders and reinstalled the mod(s) completely. I have already removed all old MM files and just deleted files that MM had that contained files for the OMD and the magnetometer. I only have 1 MM file in my KSP folder in gamedata, and it's the latest MM. I don't use CKAN. I removed files that regenerate, as in: ModuleManager.ConfigCache, ModuleManager.ConfigSHA, ModuleManager.Physics and ModuleManager.TechTree. Also, from the KSP main folder directory, I deleted PartDatabase.cfg and Physics.cfg. I was hoping that they would regenerate for the newest MM file and fix the problem after regenerating, but to no avail.

That's pretty much what I expected. I've never had any improvements come from deleting those MM cache/physics/techtree files though, or PartDatabase.cfg/Physics.cfg. The file that's disabling your EL parts will be a .cfg MM patch file somewhere under GameData, which is why a full-text search (grep) can help. But MM patches don't have to list the part name to alter a part: they can have search criteria based on the modules that a part uses, they can match on the name of a mod, and so on. Look here. You might even have another mod or patch that disables all other parts using ModuleResourceScanner with the MetalOre resource, for example. Why, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me that much.

What you could do, although it's ham-fisted, is make a clean save of your game, quit, move any half of your mods out of GameData to somewhere temporary (leaving EL behind, of course), and restart KSP. Start a new sandbox game and check if all the EL parts are there or not. If not, swap out the other half of your mods from GameData, rinse/repeat, and continue until you narrow it down to which mod is causing trouble. Either that or you continue doing text searches. :wink:

edit: actually, belay that. Search through your KSP.log for the OMD and Magnetometer because MM logs all its patching. Failing that, use the part database in the alt-F12 debug menu. I find it slow and difficult to find anything in, but YMMV.

Edited by Bluebottle

5 hours ago, Bluebottle said:

Not trying to quote a wall of text lol, but just doing a reply

Alright, cool. I had to do something like that a while ago right after the 1.0 release. It's a pain in the ass, but can work out a lot of problems. I was just hoping there was another way first, because it just recently happened, but there were several updated mod releases, a new MM and those sort of things. I will let you know how things go. As I've said before, I appreciate your help a lot. Thank you.

I noticed that the capsules have a productivity factor stat, but no button to start/stop making parts.   Is that intentional?  (EG: to force use of the construction workshop somewhere on the craft)

I'm looking to find the minimal set of parts required to bootstrap a space program from a single vehicle stranded somewhere other than Kerbin.

Just now, suicidejunkie said:

I noticed that the capsules have a productivity factor stat, but no button to start/stop making parts.   Is that intentional?  (EG: to force use of the construction workshop somewhere on the craft)

I'm looking to find the minimal set of parts required to bootstrap a space program from a single vehicle stranded somewhere other than Kerbin.

I could be wrong here, but I believe the productivity factor is added together for when you start building vessels. It increases speed (?) of construction, not manufacture of rocket parts. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

8 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

Yes, this is very intentional, but you do not need to use the big blue workshop, there's also the funny tower thing. It will produce RocketParts, is a full workshop, and takes four (EVA) kerbals.

8 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

Survey station, survey stakes, command pod (for control), supply of RocketParts (enough to build an auger, smelter, and rocket workbench (aforementioned funny tower thing), and a means to connect it all together. As an alternative to the survey station and stakes, you can use the orbital dock on the ground (or any other launchpad), but the dock may get a little awkward.

8 hours ago, Shuriken333 said:

I could be wrong here, but I believe the productivity factor is added together for when you start building vessels. It increases speed (?) of construction, not manufacture of rocket parts. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Yes, this is how it works: each command, the hitchhiker can, the survey station, I think the Mk1 passenger pod, the science lab, and of course the workshop and workbench all contribute towards the overall productivity. On each such part you will find both Productivity and Vessel Productivity lines: the former is that part's contribution, the latter is the overall productivity of the entire vessel.

I note that for the pilots and scientists and particularly stupid+brave engineers, the productivity is negative.

Do they contribute that negative productivity to the work of a quality engineer (by pestering with questions and calling meetings and such)?

Are they intelligent enough to just sit back and stop "helping", or do I need to tell them to wait outside while Bill works? :D

12 minutes ago, suicidejunkie said:

I note that for the pilots and scientists and particularly stupid+brave engineers, the productivity is negative.

Do they contribute that negative productivity to the work of a quality engineer (by pestering with questions and calling meetings and such)?

Are they intelligent enough to just sit back and stop "helping", or do I need to tell them to wait outside while Bill works? :D

They can contribute to negative values, especially if they are level 0. Might I suggest using the KSI hiring mod? :D It lets you hire a kerbal and set their courage/stupid levels and even assign them the 'badass' flag, all of which effects EPL productivity! You can still get to that KSI mod over here! https://github.com/OakTree42/KSI-Hiring

suicidejunkie: Pilots and scientists that are smart or experienced enough will keep out of the way and not contribute negative productivity, though they can't contribute positive productivity until you have a 5-star engineer in the same part.

As to how they contribute negative productivity, that is entirely up to your imagination. Pestering, useless meetings, always standing in the wrong spot, breaking things... all possibilities, and many more.

TheReadPanda: That is indeed one option, and certainly helps with the insane pricing of kerbals when trying to fill a large workshop.

Edited by taniwha

Just ran into a small bug.

Got a contract to launch a station into LKO.  It needs the standard basics of antenna, docking port, power, and 5 kerbals.

But one of the requirements is literally "Have a part on the vessel"

I checked the save file, and what it really wants is an orbital dock component:

PARAM
				{
					name = PartRequestParameter
					state = Incomplete
					values = 0,0,0,0,0
					article = a
					partDescription = part
					vesselDescription = vessel
					partNames = ExOrbitalDock
					moduleNames = ExLaunchPad