[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

It allows both orbital construction and construction on bases in other planets. And yes, the basic procedure is to create a vehicle as usual in the VAB, then get some of the RocketParts resource up to the construction site (either by launching the parts from Kerbin, or by manufacturing them on-site). Once you have a vehicle design and an adequate supply of RocketParts, you can create the new spacecraft from the construction part.

Edited by Starstrider42
corrected slightly inaccurate statement

Patupi: Trouble is, I don't feel like digging through the thread either. I at least have the excuse I'm trying to get EL working better :)

Well, now you don't have the excuse :) OK, you still do have the excuse your trying to get EL working better... Aw, you know what I mean!

Mossman's page of parts, including the EL Smelter: TACLS & EPL Supplementaries

and BahamutoD's new drills: EL Drills

That's what comes from me not updating the page before I answer a post! *grins* Glad you got the details anyway :)

(EDIT: another thought. Earlier you said you were dealing with a 'show stopping bug' to do with resource management and Kethane (or lack there-of in game). Does this by any chance mean you're attempting to link with another resource system? Say, KSPI? I'd love it if there was a way for EL to integrate with KSPI directly, even if it required a MM plugin .CFG. Truth be told I'm starting to get rather tired of Kethane's system, though there are problems with KSPI's as well right now (no mapping as yet other than an indicator of 'hot spots' and a plot to say what the level is under your craft at that moment.) It's still a bit better for me than Kethane.)

Edited by Patupi

Help. My build menu refuses to load any ships to select on all building platforms. It brings up the build menu, but shows no ships to select. Anyone else have this problem? I've been struggling with this for days, and am close to just deleting it. (Created this profile just so I could ask about this.) What am I doing wrong? Its put into the gamedata folder, I haven't messed with any of the files, yet I have no ships to select.

Just what happens when you press the "Select Craft"? Not a lot, or does a window pop up with nothing listed? Also, what version of EL are you using? For 3.3, I fixed a bug where the path to the craft files was being built incorrectly and thus things could get confused if something was renamed. IIRc, this resulted in no window showing.

Could you have selected the wrong vessel type before pressing "Select Craft"? That could result in an empty window (or possibly no window if there are no craft files in that directory).

3.1?!? Egad, ancient. I do vaguely remember it, though. I even have the tag in my git repo :). I don't know of any thread that would give you 3.1. The only threads I know of are Skykooler's WIP thread, his now "legacy" one (highest version released there was either 3.3 or 3.4, I think, and it links here anyway), and this one. I can't do anything about other threads or Spaceport (and I'm not sure Skykooler can do much about Spaceport).

Anyway, I'm glad the problem was that simple :) And yeah, it sounds like you renamed your save.

trying this for the first time , do i need to do anything to have the optional material become mandatory for construction ? Does this mod work with kethane ?

If you have kethane the materials are mandatory and you need to set up a production chain before you can build anything. If you don't have kethane you can build stuff for free.

Is there some way to get the kerbals back out of the launchpad 2? I actualy had jeb and bill die in there thanks to TAC life support and not realizing the thing was crewed:P after a revert and some testing on the launchpad I cant seem to find a way to get them to exit the craft, nor any indication that there's any crew on board other than from them being loaded in the VAB.

Is there some way to get the kerbals back out of the launchpad 2? I actualy had jeb and bill die in there thanks to TAC life support and not realizing the thing was crewed:P after a revert and some testing on the launchpad I cant seem to find a way to get them to exit the craft, nor any indication that there's any crew on board other than from them being loaded in the VAB.

I don't quite understand your question. Did you build something in orbit or on an extraplanetary launchpad? They don't automatically get crew; you have to EVA someone already up at the base over to the ship.

Currently not. I might include a hack fix so you can get them out, but you won't be able to get them back in.

I don't quite understand your question. Did you build something in orbit or on an extraplanetary launchpad? They don't automatically get crew; you have to EVA someone already up at the base over to the ship.

I just selected the launchpad 2 in the VAB and sent it out to launch 2 kerbals were automaticly in it like it was a 2 man command pod. The difference was there was no indication that it was crewed if it wasnt for TAC life support consuming resorces and then killing them off after a time warp.

Currently not. I might include a hack fix so you can get them out, but you won't be able to get them back in.

Is there currently any reason to have launchpads or anything crewed? Mostly I was aiming to deploy the launchpad as a drop pod that would then deploy a miner/refinery on site but it was ment to be more or less a desposable pad. Dont really want to have to either kill off kerbals for no reason or eternally do supply runs. If it needs to be crewed (or will eventualy) I'd be more likely to redesign the whole setup to be made in orbit and then drop. Actually I dont mind if I'm required to crew the stuff I just wana be able to get them back out afterwards so I can put them back into the base/station's habitat modules for other tasks when the equipment is not running.

okay, this is a realism/playability question.. how do I get inside a rocket I just built on a planet?

I'm sending off some large factory/drill landers to all the various planets. They have all the needed hardware to build a new base and launch rockets. Because of the large number of parts, this is slow going so the furthest I've gotten is putting one factory down, and 1 Kerbal next to it for manual labor. Included with the factory was a tiny launchpad for building stuff.

All I have done is build large hexcans to store thousands of rocket parts to build up a future base infrastructure. I use the Kerbal to shove the hexcans off the launchpad then attach KAS lines to each can.

Now.. how can I set up a base on EVE, or Duna.. build a new manned rocket and get my kerbal into the rocket?????? So far when I have built new parts, they are not docked to the launchpad and so, a part of the whole structure allowing easy crew transfer from part to part.

Is a possible solution to use FASA launch towers in the construction??

Is there currently any reason to have launchpads or anything crewed? Mostly I was aiming to deploy the launchpad as a drop pod that would then deploy a miner/refinery on site but it was ment to be more or less a desposable pad. Dont really want to have to either kill off kerbals for no reason or eternally do supply runs. If it needs to be crewed (or will eventualy) I'd be more likely to redesign the whole setup to be made in orbit and then drop. Actually I dont mind if I'm required to crew the stuff I just wana be able to get them back out afterwards so I can put them back into the base/station's habitat modules for other tasks when the equipment is not running.

Skykooler wanted to put an IVA and hatches etc on the pad's cockpit but ran into trouble with limitations in KSP's animators: can't animate the IVA's or ladder/hatch colliders' positions without mod support, and he didn't want to make another plugin. I have no problem with making the plugin, but I can't edit the model at this stage because the tool I use to export from blender does not support animations (yet).

As for need... well, that's up to you. Feel free to edit the config file to have a CrewCapaicity and minimumCrew of 0.

okay, this is a realism/playability question.. how do I get inside a rocket I just built on a planet?

I'm sending off some large factory/drill landers to all the various planets. They have all the needed hardware to build a new base and launch rockets. Because of the large number of parts, this is slow going so the furthest I've gotten is putting one factory down, and 1 Kerbal next to it for manual labor. Included with the factory was a tiny launchpad for building stuff.

All I have done is build large hexcans to store thousands of rocket parts to build up a future base infrastructure. I use the Kerbal to shove the hexcans off the launchpad then attach KAS lines to each can.

Now.. how can I set up a base on EVE, or Duna.. build a new manned rocket and get my kerbal into the rocket?????? So far when I have built new parts, they are not docked to the launchpad and so, a part of the whole structure allowing easy crew transfer from part to part.

Is a possible solution to use FASA launch towers in the construction??

This is a problem I've run into myself. In the next version of EL* the new ship will always spawn docked to the pad, no matter where the pad is (landed, orbital, etc). This will allow the use of mods like Crew Manifest until I can figure out how to abuse the crew assignment dialog to let EL do that along with the resource transfer.

If the launch tower is a part that can be attached to a rocket, then I don't see why not.

Another option is to build a crane (or set of cranes) that lift your kerbals into position. I have done base building using docking ports, KAS cranes (helped by Infernal Robotics and RollKage wheels), so this is certainly possible.

*soon! I need only to get my workshop part acceptable (hatch colliders, maybe a little more paint), and do some final polishing to the code: see here (I'll probably postpone fixing the ore scanner). All of the heavy lifting for the next version is done, so don't take issue count too seriously.

Help. My build menu refuses to load any ships to select on all building platforms. It brings up the build menu, but shows no ships to select. Anyone else have this problem? I've been struggling with this for days, and am close to just deleting it. (Created this profile just so I could ask about this.) What am I doing wrong? Its put into the gamedata folder, I haven't messed with any of the files, yet I have no ships to select.

I've had this happen, turns out I had .craft files that instead of clicking the links to downloaded them I was Right Clicking and saving as.. So they were labeled <Ship_Name.craft> but they were in fact <Ship_Name.html> files. That'll cause you not being able to load any ship files.

hey how does one convert metal to rocket pars? like what part is used? just wondering

You can use the workstation (I believe it's called that, it's located in the command section) that comes with EPL. But BahamutoD created a much better looking 3D printer. To get it, and various other parts, download Baha Drills & Parts for Extraplanetary Launchpads. (+ Science!) v1.1.

Very sorry if this is an obvious question... but does Ore Mining currently work with .23 and Kethane? I have Kethane Installed, as well as EL, and I've scanned Minmus and I can see Kethane deposits, but not ONE speck of ore anywhere. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Very sorry if this is an obvious question... but does Ore Mining currently work with .23 and Kethane? I have Kethane Installed, as well as EL, and I've scanned Minmus and I can see Kethane deposits, but not ONE speck of ore anywhere. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be?

In the map view kethane window, did you select the ore resource? You can switch between the displayed resources with the small arrows. This is because Kethane can't display multiple resources at the same time.

Also note that the normal kethane scanners don't detect ore, you need to use the scanners provided by EPL (or do some config editting).