[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

https://imgur.com/a/kXcflTi

I used this ship to build several stations, even a large one. So the building works. The only time it crapped out on me was when I cancelled the last build after a few seconds into it.
Also, the ship is not completely unresponsive, the engines fire but it doesn't move. I can't turn it around. It's like it has gained infinite mass due to the NaN error and can no longer be moved.

Later: i just checked the vessel's mass using KER and it's indeed reported as NaN.

Edited by Nicky21

More it has gained NaN mass. I was hoping for a better shot bug a quick question might do the trick: are multiple resources involved in the build? I just realized I missed it in the first comment, so now just verifying.

I have released version 6.5.1 of Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Changes from 6.5.0:

• Fix insta-teardown on multi-resource builds.

@Nicky21 this might fix your NaN problem, since the insta-teardown was caused by a divide-by-zero, and I could see a path for that to result in a NaN getting into your resource amounts.

Bug on teh new version: the construction frezes my game upon competion.

It goes liek this: I swith to teh ship constructing a starbase, everythign si in order, there are enought materialkits ansd specialized parts.

There are a few minutes left of construction, i acceerate time to finish it. The construction s ready, time warp stops. The fnalize build button appears, i click finalize build.

The new starbase shows up but the game freezes right here. The camera doewsn't wobble (in previous constructions the camera readjusted itself). Also the kerbals are not loaded.

I have 2 screens prior to this happening. I also backed up the savegame and the ksp.log if you need it. I reproduced this bug twice.
https://imgur.com/jopxWkV
https://imgur.com/6VULya6

Later edit: i reverted to EL 6.5.0 and voila, we have a starbase. Note that this is the first time I tried building somethign with 6.5.1.

Edited by Nicky21

@Nicky21: Something else is going on, because this is the entire patch between 6.5.0 and 6.5.1 (produced using git log -p v6.5.0..v6.5.1):

commit 3444be368fd33e219102cc912990f7e0ff7b7245
Author: Bill Currie <bill@taniwha.org>
Date:   Sat Feb 23 13:37:29 2019 +0900

Fix mult-resource insta-teardown

Yet another div by zero, and exactly the same reason.

diff --git a/Source/BuildControl.cs b/Source/BuildControl.cs
index 5a0e8df..5490c9c 100644
--- a/Source/BuildControl.cs
+++ b/Source/BuildControl.cs
@@ -356,12 +356,12 @@ private void DoWork_Cancel (double kerbalHours)

did_work = false;
                                foreach (var bres in built) {
-                                       double work = kerbalHours / count--;
                                        var cres = ELBuildWindow.FindResource (cost, bres.name);
                                        double remaining = cres.amount - bres.amount;
                                        if (remaining <= 0) {
                                                continue;
                                        }
+                                       double work = kerbalHours / count--;
                                        double amount = work / bres.kerbalHours;
                                        double base_amount = Math.Abs (amount);

commit a11f7ba1754d526579b3e73ed1cb5b1123c78f0c
Author: Bill Currie <bill@taniwha.org>
Date:   Sat Feb 23 13:37:04 2019 +0900

Ensure manual gets uploaded with the zip

diff --git a/tools/make-release b/tools/make-release
index c5d39a1..73dea64 100755
--- a/tools/make-release
+++ b/tools/make-release
@@ -5,11 +5,12 @@ make GAMEDATA=`pwd`/tmp install
 cd tmp
 zip -r9 ../${MODNAME}_v${ver}.zip ${MODNAME}
 cp ${MODNAME}/Plugins/${MODNAME}.version ..
+cp ${MODNAME}/EL_Manual.pdf ..
 cd ..
 rm -rf tmp

if test "$1" = "-u" -a -n "$UPLOAD_DIR" -a -n "$UPLOAD_URL"; then
-       uploads="${MODNAME}_v${ver}.zip ${MODNAME}.version"
+       uploads="${MODNAME}_v${ver}.zip ${MODNAME}.version EL_Manual.pdf"
        scp ${uploads} ${UPLOAD_DIR}
        for f in ${uploads}; do
                echo ${UPLOAD_URL}/"$f" | sed -s 's/ /%20/g'

DoWork_Cancel is  not called at all during building (DoWork_Build does the building), and make-release will have a tough time affecting your builds. My build process ensures the version numbers in the zip file and in EL's windows matches the tags in git (minus the v). If there were stray checkins, the version would have an extra .digit and a -hash tail. If there were uncommitted changes, the version would have a -dirty tail (or possibly both).

My point is not "why is 6.5.1 locking up for you?" but "why is 6.5.0 not locking up for you?".  The log file might be useful, though I have my doubts (I silenced most of the log spam).

As for my build process: the only generated files in git are .mu files (models), and those are slowly fading away as I import them into blender (the remaining ones were inherited or donated) and set things up for building the model data as part of my build process. This allows me to use git to query the latest tag, how many commits the repo head is past that tag, and whether there are changes that have not been checked in. That information is used to generate the version info in AssemblyInfo.cs (a generated file) and the zip file name. EL queries that info at runtime to write the version to KSP.log and display in EL's windows. This means that if I mess up the release process, everybody knows :). However, even the upload is automated now (but not the OP updating), so I would have to somehow miss the extra bits in the zip name when updating the URL, or the link would not work (since I do type the version number in the url by hand). My point is that using EL's version number (with a v prefix), you can get the exact source built into that version back to 4.2 (guaranteed: first version using the system (but zips were done by hand, so log/window version)) or 3.1 (not guaranteed as everything was done by hand, and many of the tags were placed after the fact). It also makes it easy to see what changed between versions.

Edited by taniwha

Hi taniwha,

1st I wanted to say I've used the mod for years but have never been on here to say thanks. So thanks! :)

I have a question, and sorry if this has been addressed and I missed it, but the zip files on your site vs github for 6.5.1 are different sizes and github seems to have more folder and files. What is the difference between the 2 files? Do you recommend github or your personal site for the latest, *most stable* version?

Thanks!

Edited by shuggaloaf

On a hunch i tried 6.5.1 again today. With the old ship i bult using 6.5.0 I manged to build some new ships and it works fine.

I guess what happened in the bug from 3 days ago is that i started building the starbase using 6.5.0. I then upgraded to 6.5.1 and then fialized the build. That is my best guess of what caused it.

@Nicky21: well, I hope it stays that way (ie, continues working without issue), though even the upgrade mid-build should not cause problems (as far as I can tell).

@shuggaloaf: the zip on github is just the source files (c#, svg, blender...), no dlls (and very few model or texture files). The only ("official") source of the install zip is my server.

@The-Doctor: as I suspect planetary base systems provides parts implementing all the main modules, the mallet and survey stake, along with the dll and resources directory (for recipes, depends on what PBS does), should be enough.

The construction drone allows builds to proceed without kerbals being present. It is effectively one "perfect" kerbal (or half a "super" kerbal) in a basic (but fully equipped) workshop.

• 2 weeks later...

@JadeOfMaar Yes, I found the compatibility patches within the Patch Manager folder.  The main page for MKS suggests that EPL compatibility is handled elsewhere so I expected it to be here or in someone's random github listing.  Consequently I didn't bother to look too closely inside MKS itself.  I have now removed GC and will see how things pan out with EPL again.  Thanks.

Edited by overkill13

• 4 weeks later...

I just ran into a strange bug after upgrading KAS to 1.2 with EL 6.5.1 installed.  I don't think I changed anything else and I don't see any (other?) corruption so far.

When I 'Select Craft' and select any of my craft that worked in EL before, the EL UI goes out to lunch.  I actually had it overlaying all the mechjeb windows over the EL UI at one point, but for the most part it's just blank with a green selectable dot..  The only thing I've been able to do to clear it up is to go back to an old save.  Effectively this means that EL is busted.

I'm going to try to downgrade from KAS 1.2 back to the previous version to see what happens.

Edit: Reverting to KAS 1.1 solves the problem.  KSP version 1.6.1.  One of the tested craft had no EL or KAS parts.

BTW, thanks for the great mod!

Edited by mbaryu
Updated information

On 4/10/2019 at 9:28 AM, mbaryu said:

I just ran into a strange bug after upgrading KAS to 1.2 with EL 6.5.1 installed.  I don't think I changed anything else and I don't see any (other?) corruption so far.

When I 'Select Craft' and select any of my craft that worked in EL before, the EL UI goes out to lunch.  I actually had it overlaying all the mechjeb windows over the EL UI at one point, but for the most part it's just blank with a green selectable dot..  The only thing I've been able to do to clear it up is to go back to an old save.  Effectively this means that EL is busted.

I'm going to try to downgrade from KAS 1.2 back to the previous version to see what happens.

Edit: Reverting to KAS 1.1 solves the problem.  KSP version 1.6.1.  One of the tested craft had no EL or KAS parts.

BTW, thanks for the great mod!

also after updating to kas 1.2 can't link/unlink flex o tubes.

and when loading craft in el the ui goes blank for me too.

all fixed when downgrading to kas 1.1.

I'm not sure where is the right github pages to report the bugs related to this update.