[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Kamuchi: you're right in principle, but the survey station is the "pad", not the stakes.

Wisq: I'm sorry, but you've run into one of the WIP areas of EL that because it works well enough it got put on the back-burner. I have plans on making it so you can name your "pads". If you file a github issue (see first post), it should help me remember to do something about it.

Thanks, that worked perfectly!

Modding all the workshops is not that hard if you have ModuleManager. Here's a (fairly masochistic) config I've been using:

//--------------------------------------
// Bring EL build times in line with KCT build times

// Goal: a fully staffed Workshop (productivity 10-20) is about as good as a primitive KCT pipeline (speed 1.0)
// That should ensure that, while KSC construction is still faster, a dedicated spacedock can compete if the
// player puts in the effort -- and not just because building in space, you don't need moar boosters
@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ExWorkshop]]:Final:NEEDS[Kerbal_Construction_Time]
{
@MODULE[ExWorkshop] {
@ProductivityFactor *= 0.01
}
}

Just delete the ":NEEDS[Kerbal_Construction_Time]" if that's not why you want to slow things down, and change the multiplier to suit your taste.

I used to play with EPL a while back, before .24. And I recently got back to it.

I seem to remember that EPL would still continue construction of whatever ships I ordered even while I was controlling other ships. It's entirely possible that I could be remembering wrong. Now, it doesn't seem to do that in my game. Is it possible to set this up?

I remember that in older versions was cheat-mode (building not requires resourses, etc). Can you, please, add cheat-mode for instant building that not requires any resourses? Maybe to make it less chity, make it available only in sandbox mode. Thanks.

Yeah, that seems likely. Thanks for the reply. I managed to get around the problem by simply multiplying the workshop efficiency by a 1000 to get nearly instant builds, and then using the alarm clock to tell me when the build should've been built. Only a little more micromanagement, but (with base-building/MKS) it's really adding a new layer of difficulty to KSP which I love.

And if I haven't said it before, I really love the MOD. I can't imagine playing KSP without it at this point.

Your memory is playing tricks on you, EL never worked in the background unless you were within 2.5km. It might one day, but I've got bigger yaks to shave.

Is there a slimmed down tweakscale version of this floating around with all the obsolite parts removed? This is my first time trying this and I'm a bit overwhelmed. It looks like fun though. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the orbital dock and workshop models though.

I have a strange problem with launchpads. I have a Minmus surface base. I got there one launchpad and everything... But when I select a craft, instead of putting the stats "you need so much parts to build it", the craft appears instantly half under ground few meters from the launchpad and explodes. It seems it happens any time there is some control on the craft - be it a probe core or a cockpit.

Do you have an idea what could cause it?

taniwha: This could be it, I have Science Alert. I will disable it and tell you if it helped.

And could you add some note about this into the first post, please? Something like "known incompatible mods". Or at least into issue tracker, but the forum would be better. :-)

EDIT: OK, so I have tried to disable Science Alert and it works OK now. Thank you! Fortunately, SA is the kind of mods I can enable/disable anytime.

Edited by zoppercz

I have released version 4.4.0 of EL. Links in the first post.

64-bit Windows is NOT supported due to it being an unstable mess.

Nobody will stop you from modifying it to work, but you will get NO support. Anybody distributing a modified version of Extraplanetary Launchpads (for any reason, actually) must make it prominently clear that it is not Extraplanetary Launchpads as released by me. This is actually one of the requirements in the GPL.

Also, by releasing a modified version, you agree to accept all responsibility. This is the reason for the attribution rule in the GPL: so your victims come crying to you rather than to me.

Changes from 4.3.1:

• The dependency on Kethane is no longer hard-coded. The default is still to use Kethane for resources, but now supporting Karbonite and other resource mods will be easier for those doing such conversions.
  • Kerbal productivity is now dependent on experience on top of the other attributes. Given sufficient time, even the stupidest, bravest badassest kerbal will become productive. Better yet, kerbals that start out productive will improve over time. However, they have to be in an actual workshop (command pods etc will not do) to gain this experience. NOTE: this feature requires KerbalStats to be installed (linked in the first post).

Edited by taniwha

• Kerbal productivity is now dependent on experience on top of the other attributes. Given sufficient time, even the stupidest, bravest badassest kerbal will become productive. Better yet, kerbals that start out productive will improve over time. However, they have to be in an actual workshop (command pods etc will not do) to gain this experience. NOTE: this feature requires KerbalStats to be installed (linked in the first post).

What constitutes a workshop for this purpose?

edit: Also, how far could a kerbal potentially improve?

Edited by Ogamaga

Right now, just the big blue workshop (hey, it has the facilities). However, should somebody have created their own workshop part, it's trivial to make that part give workshop experience. Take a look at EL's seat_tasks.cfg and the KerbalStats docs. Note, however, that that KerbalStats currently supports only one task per seat, which is one reason workshop experience can't be had from command pods (pilot/command (multi-seat)), lab (science) or hitchhiker can.

Hmm, I did forget about the survey station, though.

Thanks for the info, I had the workshops from the Karbonite conversion thread in mind, also, is there a limit on experience based improvement?

edit: Also, is this right formatting wise?

SeatTasks {
name = OrbitalRocketWorkshop
default = Workshop
}
SeatTasks {
name = OrbitalRocketWorkshopAlt
default = Workshop
}

Edited by Ogamaga

I suspected the Karbonite adaptation might have its own workshop.

There is a limit, but it is asymptotic. Also, stupid kerbals improve much more slowly than smart kerbals.

One thing though: experience does improve when you go off to do something else :) The kerbals might not be working, but I guess they're studying, practicing using their vernier calipers, etc.

There's actually one thing I forgot to do: update kerbal productivity while the workshop is in focus, but going off to do something else (eg, fly in another load of supplies) will cause the productivity to update when you return. Or you can even transfer a kerbal out and back in (includes EVA). Ie, it's just periodic updates that I forgot (the even driven ones where already there).

hey guys, sorry to intrude, but I seem to have found substantial difficulty finding the parts in the VAB or SBH. While the mod loads, and asks if I want progressive builds, the button in the toolbar does nothing, and none of the mod parts are available for selection.

I have looked around for awhile now and have not found anyone else with this issue.

I downloaded 4.4 from here, extracted and copied the content into my game folder, have I missed a step

edit: Also, is this right formatting wise?

SeatTasks {
name = OrbitalRocketWorkshop
default = Workshop
}
SeatTasks {
name = OrbitalRocketWorkshopAlt
default = Workshop
}

For SeatTasks, yes, that is correct. However, the SeatTasks nodes need to be contained within a KSExpSeatMap node:

KSExpSeatMap {
SeatTasks {
name = ExWorkshop
default = Workshop
}
}

KerbalStats scans the game database for KSExpSeatMap nodes.

hey guys, sorry to intrude, but I seem to have found substantial difficulty finding the parts in the VAB or SBH. While the mod loads, and asks if I want progressive builds, the button in the toolbar does nothing, and none of the mod parts are available for selection.

I have looked around for awhile now and have not found anyone else with this issue.

I downloaded 4.4 from here, extracted and copied the content into my game folder, have I missed a step

This sounds like an incorrect installation: the ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads directory needs to be in KSP's GameData directory.

baconfortress: About the parts... Are you in Career mode? If yes, did you unlocked them in the research facility? Whenever you add a new part, you have to unlock it even if you have already unlocked the node.

As of 0.25 this is no longer the default behavior, though I believe this is true for hard mode.

As of 0.25 this is no longer the default behavior, though I believe this is true for hard mode.

It can be. I'm playing with enabled payments for each single part development, so if it is unlocking new parts automatically now, I missed it. :-)

I have released version 4.4.0 of EL. Links in the first post.

Changes from 4.3.1:

• The dependency on Kethane is no longer hard-coded. The default is still to use Kethane for resources, but now supporting Karbonite and other resource mods will be easier for those doing such conversions.

Does this mean we still need to download the karbonite adaptation, or can we do without it now?

You still need the adaption, because you need some way to get ore still :) It just got a LOT easier.

And for MKS/OKS users, there will be out of the box support for EL for a more integrated experience, including some part adjustments and new models (more in the MKS/OKS style).