Greatest achievement in KSP?

alex the killa

I have two:

The one I think was most impressive was a Single Stage to Laythe landing and BACK space plane (landed and recovered it on Kerbin, no refueling, no docking, nothing)

On the return trip from Laythe my maneuver nodes weren't working so I did it all by memory and without loading a single quick save, with dV to spare!

The second most impressive one for me was returning a capsule without a docking port. Sounds simple enough, but what happened is that when warped, the ship would move out of the grasp of the capture ship I made. So after 4-5 rendezvous and kicking the orbit of the ship I was able to put it into a capture orbit with Kerbin and recover the vessel (and Jeb)

That second mission was the longest one I ran in terms of play time, probably took like 15 hours or so

So I got a ship stuck in a low orbit around Moho

It had no fuel or docking ports (career mode)

I wanted to recover the pod for the science. You can't hook it up to your ship, but you can capture it in a box. Unfortunately, when you warp, physics goes away so the ship falls through the ship it is contained in, leading me to have to intercept it at specific points, without time warp once I intercepted it, to kick its orbit out to Kerbin intersect. It was a massive pita

I don't know?

Making my first video, which was basically a compilation of hundreds of explosions to the tune of yakety sax.

I'm not kidding. I play Yakety Sax everytime I'm testing a new rocket. The more explosions, the more fitting.

So my greatest achievement is not landing Kerbals on Duna, or taking a spacestation to Laythe. It's launching rockets to the tune of Yakety Sax.

Toss-up between finally managing my first FRT to Mun, and using two Mun gravity assists to help return a fuel-starved craft piloted by Bill to Kerbin.

I think I felt a much greater sense of accomplishment after the first, but the second was a huge relief to bring poor ol' Bill home safely and to bring back all of his juicy science (currently my all-time record for most science from a single mission, nearly 250 plus transmissions).

That should give you an indication of how far I've ever made it in KSP, even without the fact that I pretty much reset and start over with each major update!

Ok i understand something like this

KSP gives two kinds of challenges

Engineering challenges and piloting challenges

I'm in for engineering (because of my profession :D)

Exactly! Something like this, but in orbit around Moho with a massive orbital time (like 100 days) so I needed to do time warps but at the same time couldn't.

I still think SSTLAB is my favorite, simply because it takes both piloting and engineering to do!

The easy answer is my Grand Tour. One mission, 16 landings. (With plenty of refueling stops along the way, of course.) It took about 24 years to get Jeb home. (Earth years, not Kerbin years.)

But the truth is, I had more of a challenge just getting started. KSP has a pretty steep learning curve. So my first Duna mission, my first landing, my first successful SSTO spaceplane flight, my first docking... all of these were difficult, even if now they're trivial. But they don't have the bragging rights of a Grand Tour or a giant space station.

Difficult to say, I've seen and done a few things that I was pretty happy with but for different reasons.

On the construction side my favourite craft is the science tank or tie fighter, my heaviest craft was the 750 ton launch, and my geometrically largest launch was the mass relay. All in sig.

On the flight side, I have a couple of "cinematic" videos that I spent a lot of time on, but I guess my current "top" achievement is my latest tier 0 launch for 5528 science. Perhaps I will be able tot op that with career mission 2, we shall see.

Probably this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/32383-Islands-of-Laythe-one-flag-at-a-time

However I have done so many other cool things. Did an mostly-grand tour with an SSTO Spaceplane (using refueling of course). Visited Magic Boulder (which I miss greatly). SSTO Spaceplane to Duna and return, with no refueling. Built a stock VTOL SSTO Spaceplane, no clipping or hoggin. Done a K-prize qualifying flight using only kOS.

getting and flying a jetplane on laythe

deorbit a docked spacestation that consist of 6 module with lag back to kerbin atmosphere

And solve a apollo like problem with my mun rocket when i made orbit with the mun my csm ran out of fuel than i decided to go on with the mission land on the mun drive around with rover go back with ascend stage leave descend stage ebhind docked and transfer fuel of ascend stage to csm and made a 30 sec burn with just a few fuel left back to kebrin and landed the 3 kerbals safely without quicksaves

My very first successful manned mun landing back in 0.18.3. I had no idea of easter eggs or hidden things. I was a n00b by most means, barely doing orbits and do docking., it was really more trial and error as knowing what I was supposed to do.

I brought the lander down and while landing I recognized a glittering at the ground and though it is a graphics glitch. I managed to land the vessel near the location and went on EVA with Jeb. And atop of a munar hill, I did see my first mun-arch. High up in the sky was Kerbin, half lit up by the sun, Jeb on the Hill, viewing the mysterious arch.

My mind was really "WOOOHAAAAAAAAAAAA".

Now this is so easy to achieve, but in those days, it was basically an epic moment.

Solar system tour with a 4 part ship. One mothership/transport module, one atmo lander, one non-atmo lander(no chutes), and a heavy Kethane scanning and mining probe.

It took me quite a while, but the feeling of accomplishment when I returned to LKO and picked up the kerbals with my SSTO was just intense.

Three man Eeloo return Apollo style... It took so long, I messed up the ejection burn so I had to make a course correction of 1km/s as well.

It failed though, as that course correction meant that I hit the atmosphere at 6km/s and without a breaking rocket. I say it's a success as they landed and returned, just not to the ground. I used Deadly Reentry, and Ioncross life support to make it harder

Wow, Magnemoe! I wonder how much science you got.

My greatest achievement in KSP has to be my Kassini explorer. It It was going for Dres, but a Jool encounter was possible. I took the encounter and had enough DV to visit every moon around Jool. I got over 2000 science in the process, and earned some vital parts.

Mine's probably a Dres landing and return. The rocket I used was 1000 tonnes on the pad (originally a Duna rocket, but has plenty of excess delta-V), and did the job fine. I don't like using NERVAs either, so it was all chemical rockets. I was in the process of sending fuel tanks to Jool so I could send some Kerbals on a tour of the system, but then 0.22 came out and I got caught up in career mode.

By the way, always good to see a fellow Irish Kerbonaut Biker Joe!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.