Greatest achievement in KSP?

alex the killa

Mine was having Jebediah come back to life after an unforeseen "accident" on Mun. In fact my first flag that is up there is in his memory, and the second attempt Jeb was flying the mission....creepy! Zombie Jebediah!!!

Probably landing the Mun for the first time.

Sounds easy, and nowadays it is, but back in the day, I never even thought of "Delta-V", "Thrust to Weight ratio" or anything of the sort. It was just "strap on engines and go". Oh, how far I've come! :)

That still summarizes all of my Munar landings. They're hair-raising experiences. :)

I don't really feel like I have any sort of "greatest achievement" in KSP, per se. Much of what I've accomplished is pretty grand in scope, granted, but little of it stands out as especially impressive to me. Well, I guess if you had to pick one...

new_mun13.jpg

The time I set up a series of colonies that spanned a huge chunk of the Mun's biggest crater was certainly an achievement of note.

Before I knew anything about quick save, orbital mechanics, how to dock, and had not landed on the mun (only minmus) I managed to start a full Duna base with 6 kerbals (originally 1!) and I dropped off at least 6 really heavy land vehicles I call Durry and a second habitation pod and all within 3-25km of the first guy to land there! (would just drive the durry to pick up kerbans and bring them back to base) the impressive part was I knew nothing about quick save or orbital mechanics so I literally flew straight up from KSC every time and once i escaped it's influence I spent forever adjusting the maneuver node in deep space until I got an encounter. That amazes me now that I know how to play and don't even attempt a duna landing without a refuel at a Kerbin or Mun space station.

Edited by LittleBigWig

probably my infrastructure... I have the ability to use an SSTO to take kerbals to LKO, from there, I can send them anywhere including but not limited to my surface Mun base, Minmus's surface via lander, any number of stations orbiting Duna, Eve, the Mun, Minmus, and any point on the surface of Kerbin. It really takes the guesswork out from going to other bodies when I want to land Kerbals at the KSC to just have them board a space taxi to the planet

Hmm…trying to remember…

I did a Kerbin-->Vall-->Eeloo-->Kerbin most recently.

Then there were the various single launch Kerbin-->Pol-->Bop-->Duna etc missions.

Also a single launch manned Moho return.

Wow, Magnemoe! I wonder how much science you got.

My greatest achievement in KSP has to be my Kassini explorer. It It was going for Dres, but a Jool encounter was possible. I took the encounter and had enough DV to visit every moon around Jool. I got over 2000 science in the process, and earned some vital parts.

It was done in 0.21 so no science, also you only get the upper atmosphere and flying at Jool biomes so no need to get deep, they should add one for eva report below 0 attitude.

Making a single launch mission that managed to deploy six satellites and six landers to the Jool system. I deployed one satellite around each moon and one around Jool, then landed on each of the moons, and used the sixth lander to crash into Jool, gathering science on the way down. All satellites and landers had a full set of science equipment a and everything needed to power it.

The beast was over 7000 tons on the launch pad...

My greatest sense of achivement came on what I dubbed misson vall. The fligt was getting a man to vall and back, which is not that great of an achivement. The pride I have for that mission is that I spent two days building and planning the vessel, checking calculations, checking that I had ot missed key parts or got the staging order wrong. Then I clicked launch and...

Nothing collapsed on the pad

No stages fell into the rocket causing explosions on ascent

No unexpected spins preventing stable orbits.

No forgetting to open solar panels - or close them during lithobreaking around jool.

The only error was not attaching a ladder to climb back into the craft after eva, luckily gravity was low enough for a jump and grab routine.

This mission proved to me that planning worked and that I understood how all of the numbers work.

RBS.

M

mmmbd£

My first Manned Duna landing without return

I don't like having Kerbal's outside LKO

Ah nice! same here, I enjoy sending probes to the other planets but keep the Kerbals close to home. (where I can happily fly them to Minmus and the Mun and get them back without too much trouble) I have send 2 manned missions to Duna in older versions, but they all turned in to long term Dunar bases which all were unfortunately destroyed when the new surface models were implemented.. Problem sorted:-)

Today,(Dec 1) I created my first 2-Piece ship to go to the Jool system. It consisted of a crew quarters, 4 landers, and an inter drive.I ended up getting a polar orbit, but I was still happy to get there at all, since this was my first time. Afterward, I went on to explore Laythe(Sorta), Bop, and Jool itself.(Ya, I wanted to see if there was a solid surface on Jool), and eventually did a flyby of Pol. After this mediocre exploration, I learned a lot of things I didn't know. I was still happy to call it a success, though. Screenshots:

Jool

99lhc0P.png

Laythe (I didn't get a screenie of the water landing)

Fz54xMT.png

Bop

7Lny3B9.png

aLJwYJ2.png

Jool "Landing"

ii81T7Q.png

Pol

4RQvJ9n.png

I'm starting to feel like a pro myself. After some design breakthroughs, I keep having to update my ribbons constantly as I keep going to more places. So, what's YOUR greatest achievement? Post Beeeeeelow. |

\/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.