Individual learning?Homeschooling

Pawelk198604

When i was young kid, i was very hyperactive. I have Asperger syndrome, I was also sickly child

Psychologist from Kuratorium ( in Poland is institution in charge of all schools in Region) decided that i'm very smart but too unruly to be educated with rest of children :D

That i should be educated at my home.

So i was bit like Chuck Noris, i did not went to school, but the school went to me :D

Does anybody have similar situation?

In Poland, when a child is sickly or there are any problems, the Board of education(kuratorium) may recommend individual teaching.

If you have special needs, you should go to a special school, and not learn at home but thats just an opinion.

If you have special needs, you should go to a special school, and not learn at home but thats just an opinion.

I finished normal school, except that an individual learning . Now I'm studding master library science at the university but now with rest of student.

Edited by Pawelk198604

This is something I've been thinking about recently; in connection with the beginnings of human society. I'm coming around to the view that there is a significant flaw with typical schools.

To digress slightly, for most of the time humanity has been in existence (we're talking before the various agricultural revolutions), people probably lived in small groups, consisting of a few extended families, with low population density. The entire concept of children having a large, similarly aged peer group would have been utterly unknown.

Why does this matter?

Children are underdeveloped humans, they have poor impulse control, are easily influenced, and can be exceptionally cruel. It's the responsibility of society to counteract this, and enable them to mature properly, but placing them in an environment where their peers are mainly other children of the same age will just reinforce the worse characteristics. I suspect things are actually better in small communities where children would have to mix and interact with people of all ages -- which is a better preparation for life in general.

Unfortunately, I can't see many solutions to this, many people would have to use conventional schools for their children (even if not forbidden otherwise) to be able to hold down a job. Perhaps it would be better to have a greatly expanded apprenticeship system, making employers contribute directly to the education system?

Thoughts?

That may well be true and it's certainly an interesting insight, but our demographic circumstances have changed. We're now mostly urbanized, and children having large peer groups is common. Just because something was common in agrarian societies doesn't mean it's applicable or desirable in an urban one.

Edited by Seret

I'm homeschooled, and love it. We are very relaxed and don't have a schedule or anything, but me and my sister teach ourselves. It took us a few years to settle with that though. I focused on programming, electronics and engineering and felt that I have learned much more than I would have at school. Also I think me and my sister are much more comfortable talking to adults, as we spend a lot of time with our mum so go out doing everyday life stuff.

I don't see why anyone could be against it.

I think it might work ok for older kids, but for younger ones I'd be concerned they're missing out on the social aspect of school. I've been visiting a lot of primary schools lately as my daughter starts next year. I want her to be part of a school that's got a good community spirit. Some have that a lot more than others, you can just feel it when you walk in.

One thing against Home schooling that comes to my mind is the fact that you don't spend all the time with other kids which i think is good wether you like them or not. Because later in life you too will have to deal with people you don't like and who don't like you. Its better to learn how to deal with them earlier.

Edit: Ninja'd by Seret

I think it might work ok for older kids, but for younger ones I'd be concerned they're missing out on the social aspect of school. I've been visiting a lot of primary schools lately as my daughter starts next year. I want her to be part of a school that's got a good community spirit. Some have that a lot more than others, you can just feel it when you walk in.
That's a very good point.

But that's why you take them out to other group activities. I got most of my social interaction from scouting and PE groups.

It's not for everyone I know. But it should always be an option when it comes to educating your kids.

Before individual learning i went to normal kindergarten i was extremely hyperactive i spoil the toys in kindergarten i just want knew how they work:)

On teacher told my mom ill-mannered kid because i told one teacher to correct blouse because her tits is lose:D

There was also a complaint against me from the catechists, a nun that run religious class, that i disturb her lesson. The situation was as follows, the nun told us about heaven and hell, she said that hell is below us, and the heaven is above us. I said ma'am above us is not heaven but space, there cosmonauts flying there:)

I was 6 years back than.

Answer in advance any questions, I was not 6 years atheists, I'm believing person just always been interested in outer space, perhaps I watched an interview earlier in the program for children, with General Miroslaw Hermaszewski, the first and only Polish cosmonaut.

Of course, the nun was shocked at how such a small child may not believe in heaven:-)

This is certainly an interesting topic. Also, that was very interesting about how you've behaved when you where younger Pawelk. I was like that when I was 6 or 7 I liked taking small electronics apart then quizzing my dad on how they worked and what part did which. I was also very interested in space when i was younger. One of my first jobs i wanted was to become an astronaught. And im 14 now and i want to become a game designer. :D

This is an incredibly important thing that is overlooked by a lot of parents who choose to homeschool their kids. Sure, they might get a slightly higher quality of education at home, but they miss out on the most important aspect of school - social development. You can't survive on your own as an adult if you do not know how to act around other people. After all, you can't be taught those things. You have to learn through experience.

Edited by whatisthisidonteven

Maybe I was a little harsh in my first comment since the moderators deleted it for some reason.

OP, you shouldn't be at all proud and think highly of yourself because they have to bring the school to you. It's because of your inability to learn in a normal environment that everyone else can. I know a few kids with Asbergers that went to my school, and they got by just fine. It seems that you just can't contain yourself so they have to take special measures so that you can get an education just like everyone else. In short, please don't brag about misbehaving at school on the internet, of all places. Do it to your friends.

Edited by OtherDalfite

Hello there :)

You know the deal, guys. Keep it clean, we're watching.

FEichinger

No offense, but didn't the OP kind of incite this with simply posting this thread? He's clearly outlining his inability to go to public school as a good thing, and using his disability as a cushion for people not to yell at him. If someone who didn't claim to have this disorder posted the words out of this thread, they would probably get yelled at or told off for misbehaving. Is Aspergers a "get out of trouble free card" in the moderator's eyes?

Edited by OtherDalfite

Maybe I was a little harsh in my first comment since the moderators deleted it for some reason.

OP, you shouldn't be at all proud and think highly of yourself because they have to bring the school to you. It's because of your inability to learn in a normal environment that everyone else can. I know a few kids with Asbergers that went to my school, and they got by just fine. It seems that you just can't contain yourself so they have to take special measures so that you can get an education just like everyone else. In short, please don't brag about misbehaving on the internet, of all places. Do it to your friends.

I misbehaving only to my 10 birthday, than my behavior turned to very polite, but school psychologist and my mom worried that if go to regular school, i would have problems with adapting. After finishing school i go to university with rest of student, i have some problem but succeed:D

EDIT: Beside asperger i had some other health problem.

No offense, but didn't the OP kind of incite this with simply posting this thread? He's clearly outlining his inability to go to public school as a good thing, and using his disability as a cushion for people not to yell at him. If someone who didn't claim to have this disorder posted the words out of this thread, they would probably get yelled at or told off for misbehaving. Is Aspergers a "get out of trouble free card" in the moderator's eyes?

No it isn't.

In fact, as a moderator who has also been diagnosed with ADHD in the past, trying to use such things as an excuse to justify bad behavior will get you an even harsher lecture than usual. At most that type of disability gives you a slightly different perspective of the world and requires lifestyle changes to manage it, it does not prevent you from living an otherwise ordinary life and having otherwise ordinary interactions with the world. With practice you can use it as a tool to create some unique out of the box thinking, but it should not ever be allowed to define you as a person.

However there are some advantages to home schooling, as well as a major disadvantage in that you miss out on social skills that are difficult to learn later in life. The thread has discussion value because of that, and if people stay civilized about the topic at hand and refrain from drifting to politics or discrimination we can indeed talk about it.

No it isn't.

In fact, as a moderator who has also been diagnosed with ADHD in the past, trying to use such things as an excuse to justify bad behavior will get you an even harsher lecture than usual. At most that type of disability gives you a slightly different perspective of the world and requires lifestyle changes to manage it, it does not prevent you from living an otherwise ordinary life and having otherwise ordinary interactions with the world. With practice you can use it as a tool to create some unique out of the box thinking, but it should not ever be allowed to define you as a person.

However there are some advantages to home schooling, as well as a major disadvantage in that you miss out on social skills that are difficult to learn later in life. The thread has discussion value because of that, and if people stay civilized about the topic at hand and refrain from drifting to politics or discrimination we can indeed talk about it.

So long as nobody is treating autism/ADHD/Asbergers/etc. as some sort of super fun club that good things come from, I'm fine with it. The way OP wrote out his post, it incited that he was proud of misbehaving. If not, then it was a mistake in the writing, which I understand could be from the disorder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.