If I payed SpaceX to launch?

bigdad84

Kickstarter rewards [WIP]:

$10 - You get your name recorded in a hard drive on board the bus

$50 - You get your name printed in a book on the bus

$100 - Your 2 x 2 in. logo printed on the outside of the bus

$500 - Your 4 x 4 in. logo printed on the outside of the bus

$1000 - Your 1 foot square logo printed on the outside of the bus

$5000 - Your trinket size less than one cubic foot and weighing less than half a pound inside the bus. Cameras will allow remote observation of all trinkets floating inside the bus.

$5000 - Your trinket size less than one cubic foot and weighing less than half a pound inside the bus. Cameras will allow remote observation of all trinkets floating inside the bus.

I like the trinket option! :) You know, if we could mass advertise this enough, we could make a good dent in the total cost. Imagine the bus loaded full with floating cubes! :)

We could also launch some cubesats. Nothing fancy. Just boot them out of the rear door.

So with the way things are starting to appear the order in which things need to be accomplished are as follows:

1. Receive a positive reply from SpaceX

- pretty straight forward. they would be willing to launch a bus, if we pay the bills.

2. Find a bus.

- no point in starting a kickstarter without the main package.

- maybe a school will donate one? as long as we leave their name on the side of the bus. also with a free space for a cubesat?

3. Initiate a Kickstarter goal

- maybe a goal of 3 million? that would hopefully attract enough attention from media and companies to hopefully garner enough funding.

4. Get some big name companies involved

- as mentioned earlier, RedBull tends to be pretty good with publicity stunts like this

- maybe even Coca-Cola or Pepsi. Who knows we just have to try.

I like the funding plan above! Also we could have lots of $2 raffles for the trinket option.

Also maybe would get a few fledgling aerospace companys to help build it for plublicty and thus them getting more known.

Also for the book and name hard drive option there should be on with a photo as well.

We should also look into having small space stuff companys put stuff on for plublicty.

Bus?

http://www.lasvegasbussales.com/bus_for_sale_details/thomas-commercial-conventional-bus-b87524

We could bill the project as a sort of "Orbital Timecapsule." That way people would be willing to pay money into the Kickstarter to have their artifacts put into space for future generations.

I think the plan right now is to be going for a shorter bus. I was thinking we could launch the bus unmanned and we could put it in an orbit that will not decay for centuries... That way if we were to ever succeed in this, we could look up at the sky and think, "Hey! We put a bus up there!"

And maybe even in the future, rendezvous with the bus, when space travel becomes even cheaper and more common for the average citizen.

We should really have Space-X respond. Something like this could be great PR, even if it is only an answered question.

It would make for amazing PR. SpaceX could market themselves as "you pay, we launch... anything."

Edited by bigdad84

I think the plan right now is to be going for a shorter bus. I was thinking we could launch the bus unmanned and we could put it in an orbit that will not decay for centuries... That way if we were to ever succeed in this, we could look up at the sky and think, "Hey! We put a bus up there!"

And maybe even in the future, rendezvous with the bus, when space travel becomes even cheaper and more common for the average citizen.

Oops. I meant to send the whole site. They have a number of buses.

http://www.lasvegasbussales.com/bus_for_sale/School_Buses_For_Sale

Yeah, I suggested earlier that we put it into a graveyard orbit. That'd keep it up there for a *very* long time.

EDIT:

I'd suggest this one.

http://www.lasvegasbussales.com/bus_for_sale_details/Used-Type-A-School-Bus-Chevy-3500-Mid-Bus-For-21-Children-Or-14-Adults-B15379

It's 10000 lbs, so we have plenty of room to work with. It'll also be much lighter after having all un-needed systems stripped.

Edited by metalmouth7

It would make for amazing PR. SpaceX could market themselves as "you pay, we launch... anything."

In the future when space travel is super cheap we should rendezvous with it with another bus!

Edit: That bus looks good. Tommrow ill start drawing up a basic plan.

Edited by hotmailcompany52

I believe unmanned was the consensus. It's far too expensive, in both mass and cost, to build a man-rated capsule. I posted some numbers back on page 5 for an unmanned vehicle. Looking back at them, it looks like we'll have almost 10000 lbs to stuff additional things into.

We wouldn't need any sort of engine on the bus, really just linear RCS and a small SRM (PAM, maybe) to nock it from orbit. You could easily strap all sorts of microsat deployment containers For Science!! all over the craft to share the launch cost. Maybe a doking port if you want to visit it when it's in orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.