If I payed SpaceX to launch?

bigdad84

Are you really comparing the widespread adoption of computers to launching a trashed bus into orbit? How is that even comparable? And what sort of benefit would this provide aside from pleasing a miniscule (in the bigger picture) group of people? Things aren't put into space for 'PR purposes', it's scientific and realistic things, not because a bunch of people tossed money at a private company to put trash up there.

It's not 'discouragement', it's 'realism'.

@ ZetaX. They couldn't put something on a collision course without a mid-flight correction if they tried. Odds of actually hitting anything in space are virtually zero. But if the navs and propulsion work, it should be completely safe to fly by within a kilometer of the station. If something fails, then the thing will just miss by significantly more. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

Speaking of which, it would be nice to have the launch on a default sub-orbital trajectory that results in good re-entry angle. So if propulsion or maneuvering fail, there is no danger of the crew getting stuck up there.

Unless something goes wrong and the engines burn too long and, whoops, instead of being 5 KM under the ISS, we are on an intercept trajectory with no hope to avoid it.

Why launch a bus into space? Because we CAN launch a bus into space! The most awesome things and moments in life are basically the things that happened because they could happen!

LAUNCH THE BUS!

LAUNCH THE BUS!

LAUNCH THE BUS!

I still am against it. It's a bus, for gods sake.

How about we put our money to good use and fund a space probe?

Or, better yet, launch a model of a Kerbal spacecraft with a model of Jeb inside?

The public interest that is created by such an absurd mission will end up generating much more funding for spaceflight in general.

So instead of launching a space probe: Launch a bus, then get funding for multiple space probes.

The public interest that is created by such an absurd mission will end up generating much more funding for spaceflight in general.

So instead of launching a space probe: Launch a bus, then get funding for multiple space probes.

See? Great publicity stunt, especially if we can get the media on board- including some cube sats makes it even more viable, as those are becoming more available... Problem of course being the orbit we want the bus in vs the low orbit the cube sats are supposed to be in.. But anyways, I think the media will love the idea of launching small satellites into orbit, something that average joe can afford to do. And deploying several of these from a publicity stunt would make it even better. I mean, the headline "bus in space" or similar would definitely catch the eye- it's a story most people would probably be interested in. What? A bus?!?! Is the reaction we want. It is sure to generate attention, and SpaceX and Squad won't be the only ones to benefit... I actually think getting coke and mentos to sponsor it would be a good idea, a bit of a joke within a joke that would get them some more recognition... Coke, it's out of this world! Or something

Cheesy like that.

Just my two-cents, and sorry if it's a bit jumbled. :P

I put forth a motion to scale the bus back to dinky toy size.

Something like this:

School-Bus-Toys9.jpg

I want to second this motion. It is much more reasonable to believe the KSP community could raise the money for this and it would be just as awesome.

I believe this successful kickstarter (Putting a Tardis in orbit) is the best example of what can realistically be achieved:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573935592/were-putting-a-tardis-into-orbit-really

I find it funny that the idea that it's 'good publicity' is being hyperfocused on. We're launching junk. Debris. Crap. Useless nothing into space for a 'maybe' idea. Space junk is already a terrible problem without people firing derilict vehicles into orbit for giggles. I'm very sure the public would just think 'crazy millionaires' and go back to what they were doing.

I find it funny that the idea that it's 'good publicity' is being hyperfocused on. We're launching junk. Debris. Crap. Useless nothing into space for a 'maybe' idea. Space junk is already a terrible problem without people firing derilict vehicles into orbit for giggles. I'm very sure the public would just think 'crazy millionaires' and go back to what they were doing.

If we get it into Lower Earth orbit it'll decay in due time. Some media spectacle when the bus is being launched an about a year or two later a small side note in the paper that the bus burned up in the atmosphere.

If we get it into Lower Earth orbit it'll decay in due time. Some media spectacle when the bus is being launched an about a year or two later a small side note in the paper that the bus burned up in the atmosphere.

And you have what proof it would 'safely' disintegrate in the atmosphere and not cause damage?

And you have what proof it would 'safely' disintegrate in the atmosphere and not cause damage?

Why do you want it in low orbit? Why not just send the bus to the lunar orbit? After all there will be no one that would complain that their stuff is broken because of our bus because there is nothing in the moon

Or if its possible, put the bus in EML4 or EML5

Let's put this whole "Getting a bus up into space will be good publicity" in perspective:

What does the general public think of space exploration?

We all know that, they think it's a waste of money. Money which, they think, should be spend down here on Earth. (Let's not go into detail why their thinking is wrong.)

What are you doing if you send a bus up into space? What kind of message are you sending out if you put a piece of junk into space?

Now do you think are going to say "OMG! That is so great, a bus in space!!!!!" or are they going to say "See, I knew it all along! We are wasting our money and this bus is prove of it."

It's like if I'm your neighbor and try to convince to you that I wont cause noise disturbance by waking you up in the middle of the night with my latest rock song called "I wont cause noise disturbance".

What kind of message are you sending out if you put a piece of junk into space?

Now do you think are going to say "OMG! That is so great, a bus in space!!!!!" or are they going to say "See, I knew it all along! We are wasting our money and this bus is prove of it.".

Or.... you could think of it this way, if some AVERAGE video game players somehow managed to put a BUS into orbit, then why can't NASA do great things? Like send an astronaut into space, without another countries help...

EDIT: let me clarify, I'm not hating on NASA in any way. I love NASA and everything they do, but the current funk they're in, is starting to get a little old.

Another way to see it:

Average gamers build a working satelite. They claim that KSP, a space game, inspired them to achieve that goal.

That would raise interest in KSP, more person would play it wich mean that more person would be interested in rockets!

Ok, maybe I'm planning too far ;)

Let's put this whole "Getting a bus up into space will be good publicity" in perspective:

What does the general public think of space exploration?

We all know that, they think it's a waste of money. Money which, they think, should be spend down here on Earth. (Let's not go into detail why their thinking is wrong.)

What are you doing if you send a bus up into space? What kind of message are you sending out if you put a piece of junk into space?

Now do you think are going to say "OMG! That is so great, a bus in space!!!!!" or are they going to say "See, I knew it all along! We are wasting our money and this bus is prove of it."

It's like if I'm your neighbor and try to convince to you that I wont cause noise disturbance by waking you up in the middle of the night with my latest rock song called "I wont cause noise disturbance".

Okay, point taken. I agree that the public opinion on space-related activities is a waste of taxpayers money, and they ignore the fact that without these rockets they wouldn't have satellite tv, cellular phones, etc..

They hate the government wasting money. But SpaceX is a private organization. This money was raised in a fund raiser. And then sponsored by large-name groups. Really they shouldn't see that as a waste of money, no more than that little stunt red bull pulled.

It's true, but spacex is heavily funded by the government.

We should be careful not to let everyone think this is a waster of money: we should have some reason to do this("because it's fun", even if it's true, is not a good reason for those who don't like rockets).

Maybe, having some scientific experiment inside the bus?

We have a lot of space after all!

How about putting up a gigapixel camera or two on that space bus? Someone would love to see gigapan style Earth or space image

And how about using the bus for kickstarter archive like that TARDIS project? Instead of using SSD use several 2.5 TB LTO6 tape because it should be resistant toward bit flip (its only a magnetic tape after all). Don't know about bit rot

Edited by Aghanim

How about putting up a gigapixel camera or two on that space bus? Someone would love to see gigapan style Earth or space image

And how about using the bus for kickstarter archive like that TARDIS project? Instead of using SSD use several 2.5 TB LTO6 tape because it should be resistant toward bit flip (its only a magnetic tape after all). Don't know about bit rot

TOTALLY! maybe we could also put an internet brodcasting dish on the bus, so that it could beam internet to everyone's houses, and we would never have to pay for it again! I KNOW I'M GETTING REALLY REALLY FAR AHEAD OF MYSELF, BUT IT COULD WORK IN THEORY. If we could do it, the satellite could pay for itself in less than a year. Imagine...

TOTALLY! maybe we could also put an internet brodcasting dish on the bus, so that it could beam internet to everyone's houses, and we would never have to pay for it again! I KNOW I'M GETTING REALLY REALLY FAR AHEAD OF MYSELF, BUT IT COULD WORK IN THEORY. If we could do it, the satellite could pay for itself in less than a year. Imagine...

Wait, what? Beaming down internet could be done without a license using some very powerful WiFi, but how about the ground station? Also the fact that the satellite orbits slower than Earth doesn't help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.